Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW ALBUMS (released within last month/30 days) Worth a Listen

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Kids See Ghosts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,354 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Any opinions on the new Beach House album?

I've listened to it a few times and I can't tell if it's great or just sounds great.

I'm partial to this tune though -

• Registered Users Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭mosstin

Arghus wrote: »

I've listened to it a few times and I can't tell if it's great or just sounds great.

I'm partial to this tune though -

I like it a lot. Bought the vinyl version, though and there's no ****ing DL code with it. Really bugs me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

mosstin wrote: »
    I like it a lot. Bought the vinyl version, though and there's no ****ing DL code with it. Really bugs me.

I haven't heard this album but I can extrapolate from their previous outings and know this will (might) be nice to for a while but ultimately not all that satisfying for repeat listens.Thats a decent tune though,a decent video might help it along.
    I did like this style of music more a few years back,the likes of porcelain raft,echo lake,elephant(uk) being some that spring to mind.
    Dreampop is grand for a listen but does not seem to have longevity,not really any albums from the genre that you would put in your top ten from last ten years?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I agree with it sounding great with the change in producer being enough to differentiate it from recent releases. Even given their consistency, 3 albums in 3 years is a lot so I appreciate the subtle change in sound.

I think Dive is my favourite at the moment.

Dreampop is grand for a listen but does not seem to have longevity,not really any albums from the genre that you would put in your top ten from last ten years?.
    I would have thought Teen Dream would be quite the contender for albums of the 2010's? (I am looking forward to the future lists as we come to the end of the decade)

• Advertisement

I haven't heard this album but I can extrapolate from their previous outings and know this will (might) be nice to for a while but ultimately not all that satisfying for repeat listens.Thats a decent tune though,a decent video might help it along.
    I did like this style of music more a few years back,the likes of porcelain raft,echo lake,elephant(uk) being some that spring to mind.
    Dreampop is grand for a listen but does not seem to have longevity,not really any albums from the genre that you would put in your top ten from last ten years?

I have always studiously avoided labels like 'dreampop' to be honest so I couldn't really say which bands fit that category. I admire the work of Beach House but I don't love them. Their most recent is probably my favourite as an overall album, though.
    Saw them at Vicar Street a couple of years ago - very good - so have no real desire to see them a second time this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,766 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

New Gruff Rhys album recorded with a full orchestra "Babelsberg" - very lush production, songs are his usual languid style, though perhaps nothing as left field as on some of his previous albums or with SFA.

Highlight for me is Negative Vibes (eh, not a cover of the Damien Dempsey song!). Here he is doing it with a ukulele orchestra a couple of years ago:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

DIIV's 'Oshin' and a few Wild Nothing albums are up there with my favourites.

Whatever you think of Pitchfork, I find their lists throw up some good things:

https://pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/the-30-best-dream-pop-albums/

Birneybau wrote: »
    DIIV's 'Oshin' and a few Wild Nothing albums are up there with my favourites.

Whatever you think of Pitchfork, I find their lists throw up some good things:

https://pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/the-30-best-dream-pop-albums/

DIIV's 'Oshin' gonna give that one a listen and teen dream by Beach house.
    Some interesting sounding albums on that list.

Heaven or Las Vegas is the perfect example of a timeless dream pop album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭divide_by_zero

Two albums out today that I would recommend Here Lies Man - You will know nothing and Bromide - I woke up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Looking forward to listening to Here lies man, caught some of their set at primavera. Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever album is out today and should be great too.

I set on the road journey with three new albums to listen to DIIV-oisin,Tiny Moving Parts-swell and highly suspect.
    I gave all three a whirl,DIIV good but cant really remember any of the songs or lyrics ,maybe on next listen.Not sure I would call them dreampop,more like have elements of it and shoegaze. Tiny Moving Parts well they sound like the hoteliers,kinda generic emo rock,wouldn't recommend. The highly suspect album the boy who died wolf is from last year and its grungy rock, the opening track is very impressive.Gets a tad boring towards the middle..pretty good album though.
    Also playing Idles Brutalism alot,amazing album.

Track from Highly suspect-My name is Human
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5-gja10qkw

Protomartyr have new material out: The Consolation E. P.

Protomartyr are awesome.

Indeed,their gig in the workmans couple years ago was immense.

Joe Casey is a poet at heart.
    http://descriptionsofjoecasey.tumblr.com/

“He’s like an inverse Bono.”

"The one who looks like a Belgian lorry driver is lead singer Joe Casey"

I've missed them twice when they've visited here, though I was only mildly interested at the time they were touring The Agent Intellect, but Relatives in Descent made me realise, woaah, these guys are great. Hopefully they'll be back soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭buried

Oneohtrix Point Never's MYRIAD show from New York is up on Red Bull Radio
    Nice live versions of a lot of the tracks from 'Age Of' for anybody who dug it

opn_todd-owyoung.8BB328.jpg?auto=format&dpr=1&fm=jpg&crop=faces&fit=crop&w=540&h=540

https://www.redbullradio.com/shows/on-the-floor/episodes/oneohtrix-point-never-myriad

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

buried wrote: »

opn_todd-owyoung.8BB328.jpg?auto=format&dpr=1&fm=jpg&crop=faces&fit=crop&w=540&h=540

https://www.redbullradio.com/shows/on-the-floor/episodes/oneohtrix-point-never-myriad

I'm still very much at the 'I think that I should like this' stage with this record rather than actually liking it just yet.

mosstin wrote: »
    I'm still very much at the 'I think that I should like this' stage with this record rather than actually liking it just yet.

Ya not diggin it M? Ahh may not be for you, I loving it anyways. Bought the CD version as well because ,the vinyl is being torn up. CD versions are sold out on Bleep already so have to wait for a re-up. It's the perfect headphone record for me so might be worth a shot giving it a blast on that. The vinyl version also has extra bits on some tracks not on the mp3's, be interesting to see if on the CD's.
    "We'll Take It" is also being released as a single with extra tracks on July 13th, 'Trance 1' is on that which was the Japanese bonus track on the CD's

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Richard Roma

I’m enjoying Angelique Kidjo’s version of Remain in Light, but it helps that I’m a sucker for cover albums.

• Advertisement

This album is mad. I love it. Particularly this song.

Finally getting around to having a listen gets a tad repetitive after the first twenty minutes or so .

Finally getting around to having a listen gets a tad repetitive after the first twenty minutes or so.

That's interesting Urb, in what way do you find it a bit repetitive? Is it the concept of the LP itself, OPN's world is darkly oblique and very obscure, so that could be why you are not digging it. I can't see how the tracks themselves, especially at the start, could be found repetitive TBH. I mean you have Tracks there on Side A such as 'Age Of', 'Babylon' and 'Toys 2' that are all poles apart musically both in concept and production.

That's interesting Urb, in what way do you find it a bit repetitive? Is it the concept of the LP itself, OPN's world is darkly oblique and very obscure, so that could be why you are not digging it. I can't see how the tracks themselves, especially at the start, could be found repetitive TBH. I mean you have Tracks there on Side A such as 'Age Of', 'Babylon' and 'Toys 2' that are all poles apart musically both in concept and production.

Its a joke,the official audio is not present on that video but i have a proper copy which i intend to listen to.

This album is mad. I love it. Particularly this song.

Yeah this wan's album is good stuff! Definite Annie Lennox/Kate Bush vibes off this track here. Hopefully a Vinyl version comes out for this soon, will sound great

Maybe a poor joke ;) but well I did listen to the album some cool sounds on it but it just didn't affect me one way or another.so far anyway industrial myriad was the most interesting ..obviously one might enjoy this music considerably more when baked or in a live setting but so far little impact anyways..
    An album I did like and its luke haines latest one I Sometimes Dream Of Glue.

https://dangerousminds.net/comments/i_sometimes_dream_of_glue_new_luke_haines_concept_album_about_very_tiny_ver

I think I will be listening to his last few albums as well that I missed.

The new album by Let's Eat Grandma, I'm All Ears, is out. I've only listened to it so far in fits and starts, but so far my early impressions would be extremely positive. There are some amazing songs on the record.

Their debut was a minor classic and a lot of what made it so good was the atmosphere: the songs sounded spooky, but yet playful and there was a feeling running through that album of wild creativity. I was a bit worried that a bit extra outside help and attention on the second record would result in a case of sacrificing the uniqueness of their sound for a bit more tightness in songwriting, but it seems like the right balance has been struck.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭divide_by_zero

BODEGA Endless Scroll out today. Definitely worth a listen.

BODEGA Endless Scroll out today. Definitely worth a listen.

Indeed, I have heard some of their music recently,liked this one.

• Advertisement

The new album by Let's Eat Grandma, I'm All Ears, is out.
    I'm only listening to this album for the first time now and I am really impressed. Any idea what they are like live? Tempted to check them out in September.

Advertisement