Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW ALBUMS (released within last month/30 days) Worth a Listen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭divide_by_zero

The new Thee Oh Sees record - Smote Reverser is quite good. The album cover could be straight off an 80's metal band record :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Really liking the Tomberlin album At weddings, out earlier this week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

First listen to Still corners new album today...need a few more listens but its a great time to drop such a summery sounding album ..assuming we were getting summery weather :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

The new Louis Cole album is absolutely brilliant.

The new Thee Oh Sees record - Smote Reverser is quite good. The album cover could be straight off an 80's metal band record :D

Heard that about the last one so assuming I thought it mostly discordant messy noise should I check out this one?

• Advertisement

Heard that about the last one so assuming I thought it mostly discordant messy noise should I check out this one?

Absolutely do, I find them very hit and miss but this record I like a lot.

Even on first listen the new spiritualized album is exceptional.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Even on first listen the new spiritualized album is exceptional.
    Really enjoying it. Nobody does heartbreak like Jason Pierce. That cracked voice singing sad songs gets me every time. His best effort since Ladies and Gentlemen......although in saying that three of the four in between were also excellent. The only album that didn't do much for me was Amazing Grace. When you look at Spiritualized back catalogue it is hugely impressive. Apparently this is his last album as well which is a bit crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Saw a brilliant new act, Josiah Konder, open for Iceage on Friday. The album is Songs for the stunned and I'm really liking it. It has no physical release yet but is on Spotify.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭mosstin

Listening to the Kathryn Joseph album - sounds pretty good to me.

Not all that taken with the new Spiritualized yet tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Richard Roma

Enjoying the Big Red Machine (Justin Vernon & Aaron Dessner) album.

Telemans new album is "Family of aliens" containing some of their finest music to date .

Fred Thomas - Aftering is excellent, worth a listen. Definitley gets better with every listen. Also, Olafur Arnalds record re:member from a few weeks back is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,354 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I've been listening to Low's new album, Double Negative, for the last few days. I think it's really good. Amazing vocal melodies and harmonies that'll cut right through you, as you would expect, but they've added all manner of distortion and glitchy chopped up elements to their sound. Really works IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭roll

Arghus wrote: »
    I've been listening to Low's new album, Double Negative, for the last few days. I think it's really good. Amazing vocal melodies and harmonies that'll cut right through you, as you would expect, but they've added all manner of distortion and glitchy chopped up elements to their sound. Really works IMO.

Phenomenal stuff!

Arghus wrote: »

Brave as ****. Front loading it with the opening track, just to test your nerve. Think it works brilliantly.

mosstin wrote: »
    Brave as ****. Front loading it with the opening track, just to test your nerve. Think it works brilliantly.

You’d want to have a good set of earphones!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

Pighead wrote: »
    Really enjoying it. Nobody does heartbreak like Jason Pierce. That cracked voice singing sad songs gets me every time. His best effort since Ladies and Gentlemen......although in saying that three of the four in between were also excellent. The only album that didn't do much for me was Amazing Grace. When you look at Spiritualized back catalogue it is hugely impressive. Apparently this is his last album as well which is a bit crap.

Fantastic album - up there with his best imo

New Therapy? Album out today getting great reviews looking forward to having a listen!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

New Suede album (The Blue Hour) out today too. Have spent yesterday and today listening to it on repeat and it's fantastic. Not as out there or leftfield as had been indicated by reviews I read although there are a few weird bits and pieces (spoken work, paganistic droning etc). Album number eight now and sounding as good as ever. Wastelands is an instant Suede classic, Life is Golden is anthemic. Album opener As One is different to anything they have tried before but sounds great. Flytipping builds beautifully to end the album with a flourish.

That mid career slump is a long and distant memory. Hard to think of another band who have recovered so well following the usual fourth/fifth album slump. Especially one where the majority of the band are in their late 40's/50's. That's eight albums released now with six of them being excellent or seven from nine if you include Sci-Fi Lullabies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

Teeth Marks by Whiskey Limbs - think Whipping Boy meets Badly Drawn Boy.
    Some great riffs and melodies - especially Faster than Us!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

New Villagers out today too.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    New Villagers out today too.

Bit over rated maybe? I couldn't name a song by them

ok lets call it they are insignificant and are complete and utter ****e

Teeth Marks by Whiskey Limbs - think Whipping Boy meets Badly Drawn Boy.
    Some great riffs and melodies - especially Faster than Us!

That song/music/Band is so far removed from whipping boy ..I have no idea why you would mention them.

That mid career slump is a long and distant memory. Hard to think of another band who have recovered so well following the usual fourth/fifth album slump. Especially one where the majority of the band are in their late 40's/50's

Therapy,engine alley,pixies,breeders not that unusual .Sounds pretty great actually ...I didn't think it would be! ..a great unexpected album from suede.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/sep/21/suede-the-blue-hour-review-a-wild-ride-into-a-rural-nightmare

Enjoying Big Red Machine (Bon Ivor & Aaran Dessner)’s album.

Anyone else listening to Jeff The Brotherhood’s album. I don’t really know how to describe it. There are elements of krautrock and dreampop.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

New Therapy? Album out today getting great reviews looking forward to having a listen!

Some really good stuff on their new album.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

liking the suede album
    bring on the bord gais gig!

Not new but I've just discovered the Young Fathers album this weekend. It's brilliant. No doubt already been posted on this thread but well worth checking out.

• Advertisement

crystal method album is quite extraordinary.

Advertisement