Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Got up past 12°c in West Clare today, never thought that would feel so mild!

13.2C here near Tralee, reminded me of that feeling when you step off the plane in a warmer country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

13.2C here near Tralee, reminded me of that feeling when you step off the plane in a warmer country.

It will remind me of that dental appointment I never went to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

It’s still 3c here

I have a few days of 5c highs next week so not that mild. Might even be cold enough for hill snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

John.Icy wrote: »
    Was thinking about solar activity and cold weather - I know some try to make the links in recent time.

So last solar minimum came in 2008, then had 2010 come 2 years after the minimum.

So current solar minimum came in 2019...which basically means 2021 is the year :p

Nothing memorable so far really but lots of close calls I guess. Plenty of snow days still so far this year. The UK had its coldest January since 2010! Which fits the narrative. Dublin airports coldest Jan since 2011 I believe (3.9c this year vs. 3.6c in 2011). 2010 had a cold February too and while we've had a cool start it looks like we could have some very mild weather coming our way.

Onto our historic cold spell in December I guess!

This winter kinda reminds of winter 08/09 ( although I would rate 08/09 better). Similar in that it wasnt a mild winter overall but still lacked any real cold spells,though early feb 09 wasnt bad but not great. It seemed looking back that winter 08/09 was a prelude for the next two winters. Winter 08/09 also had 2 very mild winters proceeding it
    So perhaps just perhaps this winter is a sign of better things to come over the next couple of winters or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Just went to the shop there's a strong stormy relentless wind in Dublin right now, serious noise out of the trees

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Just went to the shop there's a strong stormy relentless wind in Dublin right now, serious noise out of the trees

I normally enjoy windy weather but I'm a bit fed up of it now, it's been relentlessly windy since Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

10pm windy but much milder.

Malin head gusting 53 knots (98km/h)
    Shannon Airport 11 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭appledrop

I didn't think wind could get any worse but its ferocious here again now.

Can anyone please till me when we are going to finally get rid of these easterly winds or I will have to change bedroom in the house!

It's also still relatively cold here in Dublin compared with rest of country at only 4 degrees.

Dunno why anyone would be excited about >10c in February. That can be bad news for any cold spell that comes in March and usually means a poor summer for us.

• Advertisement

appledrop wrote: »
    I didn't think wind could get any worse but its ferocious here again now.

Can anyone please till me when we are going to finally get rid of these easterly winds or I will have to change bedroom in the house!

It's also still relatively cold here in Dublin compared with rest of country at only 4 degrees.

Much milder for the week with no frost at night. you shall able to get out and about. winds SW for the week,or most of it.

Much milder for the week with no frost at night. you shall able to get out and about. winds SW for the week,or most of it.

Thanks thats great, hoping to get some nice trips to park this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,851 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Tomorrow looks wild in the west. We haven't had many storms this winter. We are due a decent one.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Normal service has resumed! :) Mild, wet and windy this morning in Dublin16.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Normal service has resumed! :) Mild, wet and windy this morning in Dublin16.

7c is hardly mild :)
    We've gotten to use to the cold.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

sparrowcar wrote: »
    7c is hardly mild :)
    We've gotten to use to the cold.

Whatever it is....I don't want it!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Tomorrow looks wild in the west. We haven't had many storms this winter. We are due a decent one.

"decent" and " storm" do not belong in the same sentence! They are by very definition rude-mannered and intrusive..

Longing for some calm and peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,953 ✭✭✭OldRio

Well we've had windy conditions for about 5 days now. More wind than snow in this location. Mild morning with increasing gusts. South Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Raining for hours in Bray. In most weather conditions the Wicklow mountains seem to take the sting out of precipitation for Bray and soak much of it up or divert it around us. Today though, whatever atmospherics are in play the Wicklow mountains are triggering precipitation in their lee over Bray. Showers coming up from the SW or not, there is a stubborn parch of precipitation in the lee of the mountains over Bray on the radar no matter what. Perhaps its snow melt/evaporation recondensing over Bray.

Very mild this morning with several stations 12 degrees @ 0900

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Graces7 wrote: »
    "decent" and " storm" do not belong in the same sentence! They are by very definition rude-mannered and intrusive..

Choosing to live on a off shore island on the west of Ireland doesn't really equate to clam and peaceful weather especially this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭mcburns07

That would be your opinion Grace :) some others do not share it.

10am
    Claremorris & Athenry 13 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭AllForIt

10am
    Claremorris & Athenry 13 degrees

Did you add the temps of both to get 13? I just got up (near claremorris) and I'm freezin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I think the climate in the SE of Ireland would suit you much better than a west coast island in winter Grace!

New Moon

AllForIt wrote: »
    Did you add the temps of both to get 13? I just got up (near claremorris) and I'm freezin.

13 is correct. I would say still feels cold because of wind chill.

We are up to 9 degrees here in Dublin which is big improvement but sure when wind is still rattling away at doors and windows and I have a relatively new house you still feel the chill!

I'd be blown away if I attempted to go outside today.

@ appledrop, winds will ease off very quickly after 3pm in your location and it will become dry so hopefully you get out to the park later.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,851 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

It is so mild. Almost warm.
    Galway.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

@ appledrop, winds will ease off very quickly after 3pm in your location and it will become dry so hopefully you get out to the park later.

Will have to catch the Rugby at 3pm! Should be fun watching them trying to play in that.It should suit us better than French.

Midterm next week so great trips to park planned in lovely 13 degree sunny weather so Met Eireann tells me!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

getting much milder now. Next two weeks could turn out to be the mildest spell of weather we've had since October and if some of those crazy warmth charts verify along with sunshine we might get a day or two of t-shirt wearing weather. My main wish right now is for the rain and especially the Atlantic to go away for a few weeks. It's been a long wet and chilly winter.

Advertisement