Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheltenham 2021 Antepost

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Labaik

Morgans wrote: »
    And 14s with Bet365

Antepost yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Morgans

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    BDD is still 50/50 for this race no? The interview with Colreevys owners where they said they'll be going to Limerick and used having to give BDD weight in the mares chase as a reason would make you think it could be here. Elimay will have to give her 3lb I think also.

Elimay has certainly improved for fences but that shambles of a run in the mares hurdle would give you second thoughts. She certainly shouldn't be NRNB fav over BDD. Antepost, yes perhaps. I'd still take the likes of Dame de compagne over her at double the price, if she ran. BDD goes off in the 5/4 region if she comes here imo.

Put the Kettle on would be a danger also and she's a fair price at 6s NRNB

Henry de Bromhead has been consistent in all reports that Put The Kettle On is going for the Champion. Yes, NRNB, get your money back, no loss.

Depends who you listen to re BDD. I think she is 50/50 for the festival and as likely to go for the hurdle as here. Hardly ideal to have her first chase in 3 years in the Mares but even so, Id be happy to take her on. I think she is more likely to take on Concertista in the hurdle. Again, if punting on her NRNB.

Mullins has been pretty clear since the Kinloch Brae that a) Coolreevy woudln't be sure to go to Cheltenham - not wanting to run a novice in an open race and with valuable opportunities in Ireland b) that Elimay would be going after prepping in the Opera Hat.

Elimay is a completely different horse over fences, and the mares hurdle run doesnt bother me in the slightest. The day she announced herself as one to watch was she she was hammering Sinoria at Cork.

I thought DDC would have been a threat - same ownership of course, but was falling out of the back of the field before being brought down last time out. That was very disappointing. I would have feared her more if she had come from Ayr to Cheltenham.

Always fun to poke holes in the favourite, but she is 3/1. Annie Mc is the main danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

Shattered Love has been a great mare, and it is fitting she'll run in the first Mares Chase but I'd expect her to be retired after it. I cannot see her winning or coming close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

What race for shattered love?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Big fan of Elimay, happy with the run today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Think people underestimate the run from Elimay
    2 weeks after giving Allaho plenty, and she flew up the hill.
    Good winner. Good fav

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Henderson prepping Champ with a run in the Game spirit. Al Boum photo going to shorten surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Altior straight to Cheltenham also, I'd say he'll be pulled on the day again...

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

Coole Cody is 66/1 for the Marsh on 365 (antepost). Winner of the Paddy Power in November shows hes battle hardened, whereas some of the novices can be still a bit soft. Its his only entry too and the race could cut up big time. I think I'll take a nibble of that

hawaii501 wrote: »
    Altior straight to Cheltenham also, I'd say he'll be pulled on the day again...

Why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭del roy

All change: Altior straight to Cheltenham as Henderson reveals shock Champ move

Nicky Henderson has revealed that Altior will head straight to the Cheltenham Festival rather than run in the rearranged Game Spirit Chase next weekend, with stablemate Champ dropping considerably in trip for that Grade 2 race at Newbury in a surprise move.

Four-time Cheltenham Festival winner Altior has only run four times since winning his second Queen Mother Champion Chase in March 2019 and made his seasonal return at Kempton in December, finishing second behind Nube Negra in the Desert Orchid Chase.

He had been expected to run in the Betfair-backed Game Spirit Chase over 2m½f, a race he has won three times, in preparation for a tilt at regaining his Champion Chase crown, a festival contest he is a general 8-1 chance for behind odds-on favourite Chacun Pour Soi.

Champ, a dramatic winner of last season’s RSA Chase, has been billed as a potential WellChild Cheltenham Gold Cup contender but has yet to run this season, with an autumn wind operation delaying his return.

He had been due to make his first start of the season in the Betfair Denman Chase over 2m7½f against rivals including Clan Des Obeaux and Lostintranslation.

However, with Newbury's Super Saturday card cancelled due to frozen ground and rearranged to next Sunday, the loss of eight days has caused the Seven Barrows trainer to reconsider plans for two of his leading lights.

In a statement, Henderson said: "With regards to Altior and Champ, under the current circumstances and having discussed the situation in detail with all connections involved, we have come to the conclusion that Altior will head straight to the Cheltenham Festival for the Champion Chase without a run beforehand.

"He is in excellent form but he does tend to take his races quite hard and we have therefore decided to continue his preparation at home and almost certainly an awayday at some stage in the next ten days.

"However, we have decided to change things around with Champ, very much for the same reason and our close proximity to the festival. He will now drop back down to two miles and contest the Game Spirit Chase instead of the Denman Chase.

"He hasn't run for a year so we could be in danger that three miles may be slightly too far for his first run of the season. He is a fresh horse and can be quite free in his races so it would be harder to curtail enthusiasm and you're never going to take as much out over two miles as you are over three.

"He could be keen and do too much, so in the interest of the Gold Cup being his ultimate goal it is preferable to run over a shorter distance which could stop him having a harder race than necessary and also help eliminate the risk of the bounce factor.

"He was a very useful horse over two and a half miles last season and I think that the Game Spirit could suit him well, both in the short term and the long term."

Henderson, who congratulated Newbury, race sponsors, the BHA and ITV for rearranging the card, confirmed further support for the meeting as Buzz, Mister Coffey and possibly Fred will take their chance in the Betfair Hurdle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

It looks like he is having a bit of a howler with everything.

Bet 365 have gone out to 12's with Champ now. It is a lot to ask for him to turn up and win a Gold Cup in 4 weeks off the back of a prep run over 2 miles? I wouldn't mind but he is a sketchy enough jumper at the best of times. He should be 20/1 or better.

I was reading the racing forum UK site earlier today. Some disparaging comments about Nicky Henderson from many of the forum contributors. There is a thread there called " Nicky Henderson and his Fairy Tales " ... they are giving him a pasting altogether.

https://theracingforum.co.uk/forums/topic/nicky-henderson-and-his-fairy-tales/

I cannot believe Altior's price either, generally 6/1. I doubt he beats the Skelton horse never mind Chacun Por Soi. I still think a fully wound up Put the Kettle On is a danger to all.

IAMAMORON wrote: »

I was reading the racing forum UK site earlier today. Some disparaging comments about Nicky Henderson from many of the forum contributors. There is a thread there called " Nicky Henderson and his Fairy Tales " ... they are giving him a pasting altogether.

https://theracingforum.co.uk/forums/topic/nicky-henderson-and-his-fairy-tales/
    Lol.

Id say Henderson , arguably one of the greatest NH trainers in the last decade cant sleep at night over a few mug punters talking out of there pocket on some online forum. Laughable stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Henry de Bromhead has been consistent in all reports that Put The Kettle On is going for the Champion. Yes, NRNB, get your money back, no loss.

Depends who you listen to re BDD. I think she is 50/50 for the festival and as likely to go for the hurdle as here. Hardly ideal to have her first chase in 3 years in the Mares but even so, Id be happy to take her on. I think she is more likely to take on Concertista in the hurdle. Again, if punting on her NRNB.

Mullins has been pretty clear since the Kinloch Brae that a) Coolreevy woudln't be sure to go to Cheltenham - not wanting to run a novice in an open race and with valuable opportunities in Ireland b) that Elimay would be going after prepping in the Opera Hat.

Elimay is a completely different horse over fences, and the mares hurdle run doesnt bother me in the slightest. The day she announced herself as one to watch was she she was hammering Sinoria at Cork.

I thought DDC would have been a threat - same ownership of course, but was falling out of the back of the field before being brought down last time out. That was very disappointing. I would have feared her more if she had come from Ayr to Cheltenham.

Always fun to poke holes in the favourite, but she is 3/1. Annie Mc is the main danger.

Looks like Benie might be out now alright, with DDC going back hurdling. PTKO's connections have been silent since DRF. QM was certainly the plan but getting stuffed so comprehensively must surely make them rethink. I can accept Elimay is a fair price at 3s alright, through sheer lack of opposition if nothing else. I'd definitely factor in that mares hurdle run but it may just have been a young horse overwhelmed by the occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭del roy

Labaik wrote: »
    Lol.

Id say Henderson , arguably one of the greatest NH trainers in the last decade cant sleep at night over a few mug punters talking out of there pocket on some online forum. Laughable stuff.

AT LEAST HE WOULD KNOW WHAT TO TAKE TO HELP HIM THRU THE NIGHT

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 45 naraicjul

Looks like Benie might be out now alright,

Howdie Hulk,

Just wondering why you said this? Has somebody said something?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Morgans

Looks like Benie might be out now alright, with DDC going back hurdling. PTKO's connections have been silent since DRF. QM was certainly the plan but getting stuffed so comprehensively must surely make them rethink. I can accept Elimay is a fair price at 3s alright, through sheer lack of opposition if nothing else. I'd definitely factor in that mares hurdle run but it may just have been a young horse overwhelmed by the occasion.

The course form was the type of argument that put people off Epatante last year (at shorter prices than 3/1). Also, that was her second ever hurdle run in Willies. I think its being unnecessarily harsh to focus in on it. She looks like a far better chaser than hurdler. Maybe if you were looking to take her on at odds on, you could see it as an angle. I'm happy to stick with the best form.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

The course form was the type of argument that put people off Epatante last year (at shorter prices than 3/1). Also, that was her second ever hurdle run in Willies. I think its being unnecessarily harsh to focus in on it. She looks like a far better chaser than hurdler. Maybe if you were looking to take her on at odds on, you could see it as an angle. I'm happy to stick with the best form.

Benie is Mccambridges if my source is correct .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

ITV to show six Cheltenham Festival races live each day for the first time.

• My girl for the Stayer's Hurdle, Paul's Saga, running today in the 3:25 at Warwick.

Just had a little top-up @12s.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

My girl for the Stayer's Hurdle, Paul's Saga, running today in the 3:25 at Warwick.

What's her rating?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

ITV to show six Cheltenham Festival races live each day for the first time.

It's working out well too, likes of the almost 4 miler and Kim Muir wont be on ITV so less likely to be as much outrage if they turn into a bit of a slog.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 The Hoarse Whisperer

Delta Work out for season. Backed him a few days ago @33s for the GC. Got a fracture at Leopardstown apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

My girl for the Stayer's Hurdle, Paul's Saga, running today in the 3:25 at Warwick.

Pauls saga is 4-6 !

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

Pauls saga is 4-6 !

christ.

Well beaten!

Cash out....cash out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Earendil wrote: »
    christ.

Just in case it went over your head-not winning a 6 horse race in Warwick when odds on wouldn't be a great indicator for Cheltenham.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

Just in case it went over your head-not winning a 6 horse race in Warwick when odds on wouldn't be a great indicator for Cheltenham.

christ on a bike

• I'm keeping the faith!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

It has been a challenging season for Colin Tizzard, but his talented team has turned a corner at the right time just before the festival.

An old friend, Native River, gave the yard a major boost by winning the Cotswold Chase this month and the 2018 Cheltenham Gold Cup winner will bid to regain his crown in the prestigious Grade 1 next month.

The 11-year-old will be joined by several younger contenders, such as Lostintranslation, Fiddlerontheroof and The Big Breakaway, who is among the fancied contenders for the Brown Advisory Novices' Chase.

"It has been a steady year for us and for whatever reason a few of ours were underperforming, but they've turned a corner," said Joe Tizzard, assistant trainer to father Colin. "It was great to have a few winners in the last couple of weeks and Native River gave us a huge boost.

"We might have a slightly smaller team than last season, but the quality is there. It's never easy to win at Cheltenham, but we'll get them there in the best condition and hopefully get a bit of luck."

Eldorado Allen
    Festival entries: Sporting Life Arkle Novices' Chase; Marsh Novices' Chase

We thought he might have been an Arkle horse, but I don't think he is. He has a few options and could run in a handicap – we've got everything covered. He'd struggle to beat Shishkin, as we saw when he finished second to him at Doncaster, but he didn't lose anything in defeat and his time was good. Off a mark of 149 he'll probably be entered in a couple of handicaps, with the Grand Annual the most likely.

Fiddlerontheroof
    Brown Advisory Novices' Chase

We think he's a three-miler. He won the Tolworth over two miles last year and we've gradually stepped him up in trip this season. He's just come up against one a few times, but has run some crackers and ran a blinder when second to Next Destination at Warwick last time. He's got a live chance and is just the type for the Brown Advisory Novices' Chase. As we step him up in trip he's getting better and better. He's been consistent this season, even while we've been a bit quiet, and he's got a massive day in him at some point. He's a seriously talented horse.

Fiddlerontheroof: has finished in the first two in all five of his starts this season
    Fiddlerontheroof: has finished in the first two in all five of his starts this season
    David Davies
    L'Air Du Vent

I'm not sure he'll be good enough for the Grade 1. He's rated 137 and was disappointing last time, but he wasn't quite right. We're planning to give him a run before the festival and he could earn himself an entry in one of the handicaps, but he might perhaps be more of an Aintree horse. He's well handicapped and it was a solid win at Exeter on his penultimate start.

Lostintranslation
    WellChild Cheltenham Gold Cup

After he finished third last season, we said to ourselves we believed he was capable of winning a Gold Cup, and we still think the same. He's been a bit disappointing this year and had a little bleed in the King George. He seems to have turned a corner and is in beautiful form at home. He has the options of the rearranged Denman Chase or the Ascot Chase this weekend. On last year's run alone he has to have a good chance, and he could be a bit of a forgotten horse. He travelled so well in the race last year and wasn't beaten too far.

Native River
    WellChild Cheltenham Gold Cup

He came out of winning the Cotswold Chase at Sandown well and we were chuffed they rescheduled the race. This has always been the plan for him and he can be dangerous when he gets his conditions. His ability doesn't seem to have deteriorated at all. He won twice last season and lost nothing in defeat in the Many Clouds in December. He's possibly become more ground dependant with age and he'd want a bit of soft ground. He's been to three Gold Cups and has run well in all of them. He looks as good as ever and couldn't do any more at Sandown.

Gold Cup-bound: Lostintranslation (left) and Native River (right) could be heading to Cheltenham for Colin Tizzard
    Gold Cup-bound: Lostintranslation (left) and Native River (right) could be heading to Cheltenham for Colin Tizzard
    Edward Whitaker (racingpost.com/photos)
    Ofalltheginjoints
    National Hunt Chase; Brown Advisory Novices' Chase

He'll also have an entry in the Ultima. You can scratch his last run when he was fourth at Doncaster. Before that he was a progressive young horse and I quite like him. He stays well on good ground. and is fairly handicapped and would be competitive off his mark. I'm not sure where he'll end up, but he deserves his place at the festival. The National Hunt Chase would probably be favourite for him at the moment.

Oscar Elite
    Ballymore Novices' Hurdle; Albert Bartlett Novices' Hurdle

The Albert Barlett should be ideal for him. He didn't quite see his race out at Warwick over a shorter trip last time but travelled well for much of the race. I think he will take his chance. He's won his two novices and finished third at Exeter last time. He deserves to have a crack at a big one and should be a cracking chaser next year.

Sizing At Midnight
    National Hunt Chase

He needs decent ground and looked like he had every chance of winning the Badger Beers Silver Trophy at Wincanton before falling. He has an entry at Kempton at the end of the month but we might give him a spin in a three-mile novice chase this week and then the National Hunt Chase would very much be on the cards. He's been very progressive and has not done an awful lot wrong for us.

The Big Breakaway

He won nicely on his first start of the season before being beaten at Exeter, which was a bit of a balls-up on our part. We thought we'd give him a bit experience and run him over two and a half miles, but that backfired a little bit. His run in the Kauto Star at Kempton was brilliant. In hindsight he might have been ridden a bit closer to the pace, but we had to drop him in and teach him how to race. He still ran a blinder behind Shan Blue, who ran really well this month and franked the form. He's already won around Cheltenham and is probably our best chance at the festival. The plan next year will be the Gold Cup, and we're quite keen to give him plenty of experience.

The Big Breakaway: impressed on chasing debut at Cheltenham
    The Big Breakaway: impressed on chasing debut at Cheltenham
    Edward Whitaker (racingpost.com/photos)
    Reserve Tank
    Paddy Power Stayers' Hurdle

He's coming back after jarring himself up in the Marsh at last year's festival. He's won two Grade 1 novice hurdles, so is obviously a very good horse. We're going to run him in a handicap at Ascot at the weekend as a prep run, and if he does well he could go for the Stayers'. It's a bit of a recovery mission after a setback, but he's back in full work and when he's right he's an extremely talented horse. On his novice form you'd like to think he could be really competitive.

War Lord
    Coral Cup

He could possibly go for the Coral Cup. He's had a good season and has been pretty consistent. He'll make a lovely chaser next year, but he's competitive in big handicap hurdles and won one at Haydock last year. The Coral Cup takes a lot of winning, but he might just sneak in and the 2m5f trip at Cheltenham would suit.

Remaining runners
    The Tizzard yard will have a small-but-select team of handicappers, which could include Copperhead, who could attempt to bounce back to form in the Ultima, and Vision Des Flos, a possible runner in the Coral Cup.

Advertisement