Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheltenham 2021 Antepost

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Morgans wrote: »
    But surely we know that Mullins or anyone close to a stable aren't going to break news like this on a podcast/bookies event. Its disappointing but its the way it is.

You learn more from cheltenham preview nights by noticing the horses that connections don't mention.

I would still prefer to see more transparency.

You are correct about preview nights, it is the horses not being talked about that need to be followed.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 naraicjul

Fair plat Ian - bang on the money here!

A bit more transparency would be a lot better!

"We are hoping of getting her fit in time. She is a little behind where we would like her to be but we are hopeful we can get her right on time" would have been a lot better than what was actually said and not said.

This tells the interested public that the rumoured concerns about her have some validity. Patrick's evasion treats the punters like the mugs that we probably are!

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭carq

before kilcruits race he was humming and hawing wondering if he picked the right horse.
    the nearest dangers in the race were his stablemates which he beat literally standing up.

As if he didnt know he picked the right horse pre race.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Panrich

carq wrote: »
    before kilcruits race he was humming and hawing wondering if he picked the right horse.
    the nearest dangers in the race were his stablemates which he beat literally standing up.

As if he didnt know he picked the right horse pre race.

Willie said afterwards that Patrick was adamant that he was riding Kilcruit in that race and that he wanted him to ride Ramilles (name from my memory). He knew what he wanted alright I’d say without having to think too long about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Hard to believe Cheltenham is still a month away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Only you mean

That's the Lincoln you're thinking of Tetrarch... 27 March.

https://www.racingpost.com/racecards/15/doncaster/2021-03-27/775546/

Cheltenham starts in less than 4 weeks, only 26 sleeps now.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Labaik

IAMAMORON wrote: »

https://www.racingpost.com/racecards/15/doncaster/2021-03-27/775546/

Cheltenham starts in less than 4 weeks, only 26 sleeps now.

Cant wait. Week booked off work for it as always :D

Proper racing. It had 58 runners one year. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭kksaints

Proper racing. It had 58 runners one year. :)

Pah, tis no match for the Grand National. 66 runners in 1929.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

kksaints wrote: »
    Pah, tis no match for the Grand National. 66 runners in 1929.

A great day. Backed the winner.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Slattsy wrote: »
    A great day. Backed the winner.

Less of the after timing. Thanks

The Mig wrote: »
    Less of the after timing. Thanks

The Charter needs to be updated. If i cant brag about my winnings from the 20s this place is a joke.

Less of the badinage.

Great word. Showing your age though !! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

Labaik wrote: »
    Thats fair enough, but when the bookies are crying there eyes out to the media about the punter pulling off a bit of a gamble with the media highlighting it as if its a bad thing surely this carry on by the bookies and patrick mullins should get a bit of media coverage too.

What bookies were doing this?

The gamble last week that the Bookies publicized in order to get people to plough into?

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

To be fair to Patrick he wouldn't admit Benie was okay. The host asked him more than once if she was sound and he wouldn't say so. I think that alone was your dead giveaway. What caught some people is how he said mares in the past have gone straight to the festival and that Willie will know what to do whether it is hurdles or fences. That was clearly word for word from the aul fella.

Coneygree wrote: »
    To be fair to Patrick he wouldn't admit Benie was okay. The host asked him more than once if she was sound and he wouldn't say so. I think that alone was your dead giveaway. What caught some people is how he said mares in the past have gone straight to the festival and that Willie will know what to do whether it is hurdles or fences. That was clearly word for word from the aul fella.

Why didn't he just say she has had niggles and we are losing the race to get her right on time?

ie the truth?

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

Why didn't he just say she has had niggles and we are losing the race to get her right on time?

ie the truth?

Sure it was known at Christmas and at DRF that she had setbacks all season and sure the time of the year will tell you it's a race to get a horse ready.

What bookies were doing this?

The gamble last week that the Bookies publicized in order to get people to plough into?

No the treble the week before.

• Advertisement

Coneygree wrote: »
    Sure it was known at Christmas and at DRF that she had setbacks all season and sure the time of the year will tell you it's a race to get a horse ready.

Why didn't he say that then?

It is the constant spoofing and coyness that winds me up. They are getting paid to do these podcasts and in Patrick Mullins's case he is also raising the potential of his profile in punditry ... and indeed journalism.

I just want it straight, like pear cider made from 100% pears.

I read an article he wrote a few weeks ago and found it really interesting and insightful, it was a pleasure to read. I just would prefer to see people working within the industry giving a more honest account of things, we all deserve it. There is too much shenanigans involved and this constant distrust that carries on between journalists, bookies, riders and trainers needs to wise up.

As it stands I don't believe a word any of them say.

The game stinks to high heavens, bookmakers sponsoring yards, jockeys on there payrolls and trainers being ambassadors for them also. Surely that has to stop if the sport is to have any sort of credibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Tbh I agree with Moron. That side of the game is rotten

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Morleystreet

Mick pastor running at Leicester tomorrow. Throwing a few quid on him for Grand Annual.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭dicky dunne

three that i like that i've backed NRNB today.

Longhouse Poet for the National Hunt Chase @ 25s, the form of his last win couldnt have worked out better with both Run for Fred (fav for Kim Muir) being 2nd in the Thyestes and The Big Dog winning next time out, rated 143 after his last race there may be adjustment to his current mark with both horses running well subsequently, the horse has grade 1 form over hurdles and both Codd and DOC have ridden him in the past so you'd be hopefully one might get the leg up again.

Rivere D'Etel for the Boodles @ 16s initially thought this was a grade 1 horse and heard good things from the Elliotts yard prior to her last run, she finished 3rd that day to Thedevilscoachman who has won subsequently and looks a possible player in the Supreme, Riviere was keen all throughout the race and found very little for pressure, she's been given an Irish mark 133 so looks very exploitable even if she gets an extra 4/5 lbs from the UK counterpart

Eskylane for the Martin Pipe @ 20s this horse is so well handicapped it might not even get in to a race unfortunately, classy performer in Bumpers last year when finishing 4th in the Champion, the horse bet Gabynako first out of hurdles, it's been well tried since but not to much avail, have to believe it is capable of running beyond its current mark of 133

All may not turn up or go for other engagements so i'd go with the NRNB firms if following in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

three that i like that i've backed NRNB today.

Longhouse Poet for the National Hunt Chase @ 25s, the form of his last win couldnt have worked out better with both Run for Fred (fav for Kim Muir) being 2nd in the Thyestes and The Big Dog winning next time out, rated 143 after his last race there may be adjustment to his current mark with both horses running well subsequently, the horse has grade 1 form over hurdles and both Codd and DOC have ridden him in the past so you'd be hopefully one might get the leg up again.

Rivere D'Etel for the Boodles @ 16s initially thought this was a grade 1 horse and heard good things from the Elliotts yard prior to her last run, she finished 3rd that day to Thedevilscoachman who has won subsequently and looks a possible player in the Supreme, Riviere was keen all throughout the race and found very little for pressure, she's been given an Irish mark 133 so looks very exploitable even if she gets an extra 4/5 lbs from the UK counterpart

Eskylane for the Martin Pipe @ 20s this horse is so well handicapped it might not even get in to a race unfortunately, classy performer in Bumpers last year when finishing 4th in the Champion, the horse bet Gabynako first out of hurdles, it's been well tried since but not to much avail, have to believe it is capable of running beyond its current mark of 133

All may not turn up or go for other engagements so i'd go with the NRNB firms if following in

I was looking at Longhouse Poet today thinking it was a nice dark one in the back pocket . Looks an ideal candidate for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭dicky dunne

Very well handicapped too still, i fear he may go the Kim Muir but would rather back him NRNB for this, think connections would prefer this type of race over a handicap

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭mountai

What happens to AP bets on Off You go for PP Plate ?. Will the horse have to be withdrawn ??? .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

aidankkk wrote: »
    I was looking at Longhouse Poet today thinking it was a nice dark one in the back pocket . Looks an ideal candidate for it.

Ended up backing that for the third time yest as I went through the race and struggled to find a runner or one that might remotely like the test. Trainer gave a decent indication last week that he will end up here

• Advertisement

Is there anywhere I can get me hands on festival trends the last decade or so?

Advertisement