Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I was expecting Melissa Reddy to appear on the show like the video that did the rounds a few years ago of a young man in distress at how Britney Spears was being treated by the media and public..."leave him aloooone!". But no, she's over her crush and is willing somewhat to except that Klopp has some flaws after all. Don't we all.
    She'll need to re-visit her book.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

Just started listening to Monday's episode and it sounds like Murph does the classic punditry thing of doubling down when faced with a possible embarrassment. Hopefully Scotland end in the top half now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Nobody from within boxing willing to speak up on it either besides McGuigan..

Bunce & Costello did a pod on it last year and again talked about it on this week's pod.

humberklog wrote: »
    I was expecting Melissa Reddy to appear on the show like the video that did the rounds a few years ago of a young man in distress at how Britney Spears was being treated by the media and public..."leave him aloooone!". But no, she's over her crush and is willing somewhat to except that Klopp has some flaws after all. Don't we all.

Hopefully she never gets asked back on. Possibly the most annoying voice you'll ever hear. Her and Miguel into the bin please.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Yeah they had a lad on who talked in detail last year after Fury initially name checked Kinahan in the video announcing the fight with Joshua. Not much new happenings since then, other than the BBC doing a doc explaining what most Irish people were already familiar with anyway.

I also find waiting til Tuesday for a soccer pod bizarre too, Fri & Sat matches seem like an age ago by then. Hopefully it'll be a failed experiment & normal service will resume.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭atilladehun

humberklog wrote: »

Yeah I thought she was good. Considering she obviously has some sort of contact with the club it's not beyond reason that her guesses may have some sort of basis in truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

She is really awful haha

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

sigmundv wrote: »
    Just started listening to Monday's episode and it sounds like Murph does the classic punditry thing of doubling down when faced with a possible embarrassment. Hopefully Scotland end in the top half now!

Dun' back doon. Double doon.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Hopefully she never gets asked back on. Possibly the most annoying voice you'll ever hear. Her and Miguel into the bin please.

Nails on a chalkboard, I'd rather the rugger chat.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I also find waiting til Tuesday for a soccer pod bizarre too, Fri & Sat matches seem like an age ago by then. Hopefully it'll be a failed experiment & normal service will resume.

Particularly when many people will be listening after the midweek fixtures have already started (in this case FA Cup).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I thought she wasn't bad yesterday to be honest. The first time they had her on was ridiculous, pure hagiography for Klopp, but I thought her contribution yesterday was fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

See klopps mother died yesterday. Suppose you never know what's going on in a person's life.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,472 ✭✭✭✭kippy

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    See klopps mother died yesterday. Suppose you never know what's going on in a person's life.

You never know whats going on in a persons life is a commandment/piece of advice that everyone should go back to when judging/dealing with someone.
    Incredibly tough not to have been with her in her final weeks and not to be allowed travel to the funeral, as many less famous people can atest to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Kind of shows you the limits of narritivising the deeper reasons behind managers quotes to the media, when you often can have no real idea what's truly going on.

Arghus wrote: »
    Kind of shows you the limits of narritivising the deeper reasons behind managers quotes to the media, when you often can have no real idea what's truly going on.

Same with a lot of analysis of anything, how well does anyone know how a person thinks or what distractions they have in their life really - all of these things and more have a massive impact on what a person says and does.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Ken laughing at Murph thinking there wouldn’t be another Ciaran and Frances Murphy in Ireland was fecking gas!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

DukeCaboom wrote: »

She died on January 19 apparently so been dealing with it for a few weeks now. News only came out today. Must be extremely tough not being able to go back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭srfc d16

Bunce & Costello did a pod on it last year and again talked about it on this week's pod.

Was it any good? I used to listen to that pod weekly but had to give up on it because they would always dance around any accusations like that.
    Bunce loves being beside people with dodgy backgrounds. He couldn't sing the praises of Saudi high enough when the Joshua Ruiz fight was there.

I couldn't take them seriously when they refused to accept any criticism for going to Saudi because in the past people went to the rumble in the jungle and the thrilla in Manilla. They couldn't see any issue in it at all despite the fact that they obviously know all three events were held in countries where terrible things were happening to the people living there. They are complicit in the sports washing and BBC should have higher standards than that. They are meant to be a public service broadcaster not a for profit organisation like sky/bt/hbo etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

The Kinihan story is everywhere now, a lot of developments . It will be one of the big stories in sports journalism this year.

The Kinihan story is everywhere now, a lot of developments . It will be one of the big stories in sports journalism this year.

I think the key point is, the fans (generally) don't really care about the morality or otherwise of the people involved in at the "back end" of sport - even if the media draw attention to it.

The failing here surely is not that the fans don't care enough about this, but that people like this who are alegedly tied up in criminal and questionable enterprises aren't behind bars in the first place.

This one is a difficult topic for Journos to go after as it's a thankless game and can even lead to major issues for them.

• Advertisement

srfc d16 wrote: »
    Was it any good? I used to listen to that pod weekly but had to give up on it because they would always dance around any accusations like that.
    Bunce loves being beside people with dodgy backgrounds. He couldn't sing the praises of Saudi high enough when the Joshua Ruiz fight was there.

I couldn't take them seriously when they refused to accept any criticism for going to Saudi because in the past people went to the rumble in the jungle and the thrilla in Manilla. They couldn't see any issue in it at all despite the fact that they obviously know all three events were held in countries where terrible things were happening to the people living there. They are complicit in the sports washing and BBC should have higher standards than that. They are meant to be a public service broadcaster not a for profit organisation like sky/bt/hbo etc.

To be fair they aren't easy on him. Especially since they had the rte reporter on telling it like it is before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

den87 wrote: »
    Ken laughing at Murph thinking there wouldn’t be another Ciaran and Frances Murphy in Ireland was fecking gas!

Is it me or is Murph being extra annoying in the past few podcasts, butting in with irrelevant points.

It is annoying they try to show horn in some topics of conversation which arent even funny to keep him relevant on the show

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭finglashoop

i can't stand her voice at all

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

kilns wrote: »
    Is it me or is Murph being extra annoying in the past few podcasts, butting in with irrelevant points.

It is annoying they try to show horn in some topics of conversation which arent even funny to keep him relevant on the show

Ya sometimes I think he tries too hard to be like Ken and it comes off as cheesey. I do like him when the GAA is on and his chats with US Murph.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I did like how quickly Ken gave up on his Splinter/Seamus Coleman analogy.

'Ah whatever it's a meme'

I'd forgotten all about that Kluivert business.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

I for one am so glad that “rhys” is genuinely one of the nicest guys you could meet in rugby. It’s honestly like a troll at this point. He is a parody of himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Who knew that Francis/Frances was such a popular name eh? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭al87987

unplayable wrote: »
    I for one am so glad that “rhys” is genuinely one of the nicest guys you could meet in rugby. It’s honestly like a troll at this point. He is a parody of himself.

They should really just go with Simon for the rugby and a rotating cast of guests like they do with the football. I'm sick and tired of Shane Horgan at this point and i really liked him when he first became an analyst on RTE but it's overkill at this stage.

Simon was very interesting on the concussion stuff and the changes around rugby, could listen to a lot more from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

Rugby is going to be in a bad place after this pandemic- both financially and the concussion elephant in the room.
    No responsible parent would let their kid play at this stage.
    Give it a few years and it’ll be tag rugby in all but name and we can forget about this provincial joke of a sport and all the bores who play and follow it.

• Advertisement

TXPTGR1 wrote: »
    Rugby is going to be in a bad place after this pandemic- both financially and the concussion elephant in the room.
    No responsible parent would let their kid play at this stage.
    Give it a few years and it’ll be tag rugby in all but name and we can forget about this provincial joke of a sport and all the bores who play and follow it.

It's not just rugby when you come to the concussion debate. It's likely Soccer will be in a much different place too. With headers being banned at almost all underage levels and potentially greatly changing the adult game also. What is soccer with a greatly reduced number of headers?
    Financially soccer will probably be OK but there's a massive rights bubble about to burst at some stage, it will wipe out the smaller PL clubs coupled with the pandemic and it's after effects.

Advertisement