Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

https://twitter.com/kenearlys/status/1357093088909492224?s=20

For those that wanted Ken’s view of Liverpool’s problems.

In fairness he's probably right but as they said, it doesn't make for interesting listening to bang on about injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Jim Root wrote: »
    I’ve actually unsubscribed! Have been a fan since day 1 but it’s gone stale. I’ll be a Monday only scumbag for a while and reasses.

Did this in November when DOD returned because I cannay stand him or his brand of whimsy, but came crawling back to world service in January like the proper scumbag I am. Tried a good few other football pods, but they're all either a bit too blokey or smug and pleased with themselves.

Wish Ken would do more Friday politics or general news pods even, but still happy to be back on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Did this in November when DOD returned because I cannay stand him or his brand of whimsy, but came crawling back to world service in January like the proper scumbag I am. Tried a good few other football pods, but they're all either a bit too blokey or smug and pleased with themselves.

Wish Ken would do more Friday politics or general news pods even, but still happy to be back on board.

Welcome back (scumbag)

Good point about the other football pods. Used to listen to the totally football show, but tried it recently and it was dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Thought the rugby chat was decent enough today, always better when ex-pros arent involved

• Registered Users Posts: 14,378 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I did laugh at the irony at Ken talking about Klopp not having any control over what he was saying, considering his own Finnegans Wake referencing attempts to explain away him being caught rotten thanking himself in that recent outro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Ken tearing apart Murph's list of successful Irish sports people in the US was gold. "I've never heard of him." :D

They’re surely someone more competent they could get on for a Super Bowl preview. The US Murph is just like a walking buzzword generator and hasn’t a breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Murph is going to get quite the slagging after Scotland winning today :pac:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

To be fair, he is absolutely correct here

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Being John Malkovich on TG4 tonight, probably just coincidence, but I like to think they were inspired by the lads talking about him a lot recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,599 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

They’re surely someone more competent they could get on for a Super Bowl preview. The US Murph is just like a walking buzzword generator and hasn’t a breeze.

Have they had US Murph on since last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 HelloMuddha

Long time lurker and reader of this thread, don't think I've ever posted in it before though.

Have to say I'm severely disappointed at the complete lack of mention of the Panorama Kinahan documentary this week at all. For pig iron I went an did a search and it seems they've barely covered the story at all. The odd mention once or twice over the summer.

The pod is great, superb value for the 5 or 6 quid a month but I really don't think they've gone to the next level since they went independent. The lads are excellent at what they do and obviously well respected across the trade, given the quality of guests and contributors they can get but it all feels a bit stale and dialled in by times.

Maybe it's because sport in general has gone a bit stale as a few others have said but do think they'd space to expand the political pods etc given the pandemic. Seem to be happy enough trudging along and fair play to them, just could be a lot more.

"Independent, member led journalism" is a stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭jones

Long time lurker and reader of this thread, don't think I've ever posted in it before though.

Have to say I'm severely disappointed at the complete lack of mention of the Panorama Kinahan documentary this week at all. For pig iron I went an did a search and it seems they've barely covered the story at all. The odd mention once or twice over the summer.

The pod is great, superb value for the 5 or 6 quid a month but I really don't think they've gone to the next level since they went independent. The lads are excellent at what they do and obviously well respected across the trade, given the quality of guests and contributors they can get but it all feels a bit stale and dialled in by times.

Maybe it's because sport in general has gone a bit stale as a few others have said but do think they'd space to expand the political pods etc given the pandemic. Seem to be happy enough trudging along and fair play to them, just could be a lot more.

I wonder is there a small conflict of interest as Andy Lee is a friend of the show and also involved to some degree but honestly who knows. They could do a show next week on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

It’s an important decision to make for your safety to take on murderers who have access to millions of euro.

In terms of the general point, there’s not much journalism ever on second captains. It’s a knockabout show that relies on humor as much as analysis for its good parts.

However, the George Gibney show was more hardcore although I’m going on the fallout from it as I haven’t listened myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,261 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Kinahan thing might be a bit close to home for comfort. Bbc journalists had their lives threatened. At least they don't live in Dublin and have the BBC behind them. Murph lives in Inchicore and gets the luas. I reckon you could walk around the clonliffe road for an hour and spot ken.

I'd like to hear them cover it, but wouldn't blame them in the slightest if they avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Cienciano wrote: »
    Kinahan thing might be a bit close to home for comfort. Bbc journalists had their lives threatened. At least they don't live in Dublin and have the BBC behind them. Murph lives in Inchicore and gets the luas. I reckon you could walk around the clonliffe road for an hour and spot ken.

I'd like to hear them cover it, but wouldn't blame them in the slightest if they avoid it.

I don’t think the Kinahans are going to take out a journalist after Veronica Guerin. But if they did at least we would probably get Ken Early the movie.
    Also, Off the ball did cover it and Dunphy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

A return to the two-show Monday format today. Might satisfy some of the whingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭jaykay74

A return to the two-show Monday format today. Might satisfy some of the whingers.

With the added benefit of the rugby misery being avoided more easily. I watched the game but have no wish to dwell on it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Dante

I don’t think the Kinahans are going to take out a journalist after Veronica Guerin. But if they did at least we would probably get Ken Early the movie.

Of course Ken would be played by John Malkovich.

YoU'll bE pULLiNg ThE pLuM oFf YoUrSeLf (John Malkovoch voiceover)

• Advertisement

Also, Off the ball did cover it and Dunphy too.

Who said anything about "take out"? All it takes is for someone to sit oppose you on the luas and stare and you. Get off at the same stop and follow you for 5 minutes. That's what the kinahans do. Off the ball have newstalk behind them, Dunphy is the best known journalist in the country,they're a lot safer

Who said anything about "take out"? All it takes is for someone to sit oppose you on the luas and stare and you. Get off at the same stop and follow you for 5 minutes. That's what the kinahans do. Off the ball have newstalk behind them, Dunphy is the best known journalist in the country,they're a lot safer

What exactly would Newstalk do?

If you are on the luas red line there is a good chance some randomer be giving you the stink eye regardless of podcast host status.

What exactly would Newstalk do?

Well, they're a national radio station backed by Denis O'Brian. If it happened to one of their journalists, they can run it on every news bulletin and in Communicorp many other outlets. Criminals don't like this behavior highlighted because it means gardai take action. If it happens to Mark Horgan no one gives a shít. No offence Mark Horgan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Yeah its a completely different ball game to going after exiled peados or sports cheats. Id stay clear too if I was them

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭MercuryBoy

I always flinch when I hear them say that! It's a stretch alright

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭elefant

MercuryBoy wrote: »
    I always flinch when I hear them say that! It's a stretch alright

How do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭MercuryBoy

elefant wrote: »
    How do you mean?

I just don't find 3 lads chatting about Lampard / Mourinho / GAA / Rugby tactics etc to meet any standard definition of journalism, and I'm a fan of the podcast!

On the Football Weekly podcast they sometimes have David Conn on, he does investigations about Hillsborough, dodgy club owners etc...and they joke about how he is a "proper journalist".....I've never heard Second Captains get into anything like that...

A 13 minute pod !!! Are they taking the piss ??? Shocking !!! A lot of big football this weekend..... 13 minutes....

• Advertisement

It was a good 13 minutes though....

Advertisement