Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

kippy wrote: »
    It's not just rugby when you come to the concussion debate. It's likely Soccer will be in a much different place too. With headers being banned at almost all underage levels and potentially greatly changing the adult game also. What is soccer with a greatly reduced number of headers?
    Financially soccer will probably be OK but there's a massive rights bubble about to burst at some stage, it will wipe out the smaller PL clubs coupled with the pandemic and it's after effects.

There will probably invent a drug to take before sports that will minimise the damage that a concussion does. I know of a few companies that are working on similar things. Where there is demand/money to be made, scientists will be working on a pill.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Hopefully she never gets asked back on. Possibly the most annoying voice you'll ever hear. Her and Miguel into the bin please.

Since when has a contributors voice been reason enough to bin them? She may have a slightly protracted delivery but that doesn't take away from the considered points she's making.
    Yeah I thought she was good. Considering she obviously has some sort of contact with the club it's not beyond reason that her guesses may have some sort of basis in truth.

Exactly. She is maybe the best sourced Liverpool journalist so her views on the situation at the club carry more merit than most.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,453 ✭✭✭✭kippy

There will probably invent a drug to take before sports that will minimise the damage that a concussion does. I know of a few companies that are working on similar things. Where there is demand/money to be made, scientists will be working on a pill.

I don't think we know enough about concussion and/or its varying effects for that to be anything close to a short/mid-term answer.......

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Murph wasn't wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Murph wasn't wrong...

There's no way he wasn't the only one thinking it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Dante

17-3 up...

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Aidric wrote: »
    Since when has a contributors voice been reason enough to bin them? She may have a slightly protracted delivery but that doesn't take away from the considered points she's making.

Exactly. She is maybe the best sourced Liverpool journalist so her views on the situation at the club carry more merit than most.

Doesn't really matter if her voice is so irritating that you can't hear beyond it, no matter how informed she might be. I received her book as Christmas gift and was expecting it to be a decent read, but found it fawning and slightly above a PR puff piece. I don't 'follow' any football club either, so have no axe to grind with Liverpool or whatever either.

Its the same with Miguel. But luckily he never has anything informed/interesting to contribute so he's not cursed in a similar manner at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭bamayang

I did like how quickly Ken gave up on his Splinter/Seamus Coleman analogy.

'Ah whatever it's a meme'

I'd forgotten all about that Kluivert business.

That was hilarious “it’s a meme, ITS A MEME”!!
    Anyone who has ever tried to describe a funny meme to someone will understand his pain

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Doesn't really matter if her voice is so irritating that you can't hear beyond it, no matter how informed she might be. I received her book as Christmas gift and was expecting it to be a decent read, but found it fawning and slightly above a PR puff piece. I don't 'follow' any football club either, so have no axe to grind with Liverpool or whatever either.

Its the same with Miguel. But luckily he never has anything informed/interesting to contribute so he's not cursed in a similar manner at least!

Just saw her on Sky Sports - holy moly:eek:

I actually like her voice, don't like Liverpool but I could look at her all day!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭jones

Just saw her on Sky Sports - holy moly

She's a looker infairness but that voice my god it's like Janice from friends

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Think I will give todays pod a miss, between Murph trying too hard to be witty and Shane Horgan sucking the life out of the pod, some peace will do on my walk tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

I’m open to criticism here because I’m not a rugby fan and only watch the Six Nations but here goes....

Is Murphs criticism of Scotland not unfounded seeing as they lost a cracker of a match on Saturday? Him saying “I told ye so” is hardly reason to crown himself the new Nostradamus no? Found him unbearable at the start of the rugby pod which I said I’d give a go because I saw most of the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Just listening to the rugby podcast. To echo what I have said previously, and seems to be a recurring topic at this point - their rugby coverage is woeful. Too chummy, too familiar (first names and nicknames) and too technical. Absolute snoozefest.

Annoyingly, when they cover rugby with a journalist it's usually quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

dulpit wrote:
    Just listening to the rugby podcast. To echo what I have said previously, and seems to be a recurring topic at this point - their rugby coverage is woeful. Too chummy, too familiar (first names and nicknames) and too technical. Absolute snoozefest.

dulpit wrote:
    Annoyingly, when they cover rugby with a journalist it's usually quite good.

That's the way most rugby coverage is in Ireland. It was the same of Virgin at the weekend. ROG was getting very technical at times and Redden was reluctant to criticize anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

Wouldn’t be worth listening to if he wasn’t.

I personally prefer pundits who analyze the matches rather than wax lyrical about the lesser important soap opera elements of the industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

Doubt the rugby coverage will change anytime soon, guessing they're getting Shane for cheap and would be hard to tell your brother they don't want him anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I'd love to know what it is about certain voices that trigger different people. Like, I've absolutely no problem with either Reddy or Miguel's voices, no negative reaction at all, but clearly there's some aspect in there that drives some people mad. And I'm sure there's other voices I hate hearing but other's wouldn't be bothered by.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Still Ill

I think somebody said it best here before when they said there's only so much analysis you can do about big lads running into each other.. And that's exactly what we've seen in Ireland's games this year. No line breaks or guile whatsoever. There's very little nuance in it. It would be remiss of them to not prioritise it on the few weeks of the year it's on though.. I still get my money's worth even if I swerve those ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,453 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Still Ill wrote: »
    I think somebody said it best here before when they said there's only so much analysis you can do about big lads running into each other.. And that's exactly what we've seen in Ireland's games this year. No line breaks or guile whatsoever. There's very little nuance in it. It would be remiss of them to not prioritise it on the few weeks of the year it's on though.. I still get my money's worth even if I swerve those ones.
    Most sports are fairly straightforward - there's only so much "analysis" you can do on them in fairness.
    I'd include GAA, Soccer in that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭atilladehun

den87 wrote: »
    I’m open to criticism here because I’m not a rugby fan and only watch the Six Nations but here goes....

Is Murphs criticism of Scotland not unfounded seeing as they lost a cracker of a match on Saturday? Him saying “I told ye so” is hardly reason to crown himself the new Nostradamus no? Found him unbearable at the start of the rugby pod which I said I’d give a go because I saw most of the games.

I've had the same joke going with my friends for years now. May have started with the independence referendum that didn't pass.

Scottish sports teams seem to find ways to mess up when in winning positions again and again. They tried a drop goal against England in the last few minutes last week that they didn't need. They messed it up and handed back possession to England. Could have been a disaster. Up until that win and the soccer team qualifying for the Euros their national teams seemed to come up with new ways to lose.

Maybe Irish fans notice it more because we would like to have Scotland as a second team but can't because they keep losing.

They also could have voted for independence and didn't but that's not for this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭al87987

I've had the same joke going with my friends for years now. May have started with the independence referendum that didn't pass.

Scottish sports teams seem to find ways to mess up when in winning positions again and again. They tried a drop goal against England in the last few minutes last week that they didn't need. They messed it up and handed back possession to England. Could have been a disaster. Up until that win and the soccer team qualifying for the Euros their national teams seemed to come up with new ways to lose.

Maybe Irish fans notice it more because we would like to have Scotland as a second team but can't because they keep losing.

They also could have voted for independence and didn't but that's not for this thread.

Could argue Scotland and Ireland have traded places recently in football and rugby terms.

kippy wrote: »
    Match analysis is as boring as it gets.
    There's only so may formations/tactics that managers/teams deploy.
    But generally - it's better than talking about what mourinho said in a press conference etc.

Like most thing, its only boring if you don't understand it.

He thinks... cogently and writes... fluently... about football

He has a good imagination, that's about it.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Ken is smug and arrogant, but a snob? No

He's been quite snobby on a lot of things in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

To be honest the rugby coverage has been universally poor across all platforms recently. ROG very technical, Matt Williams and Reddan more appealing to the casual fan on Virgin and it still didn't really work. Maybe they are all a bit close to the squad but the game is ****e to comment on.

What drives me mad is no one is willing to call a spade a spade. Farrell hasn't done nothing yet to be worth backing. O'Connell has come in and you can see a difference in the forwards. Horgan seems to be the only one putting any slight pressure on Farrell/Catt but its not something anyone seems to be pushing.

Ireland have a strong talent pool of players and the provinces perform well however no one wants to go against the grain. George Hook is an awful pundit but at least he went against the grain and challenged the status quo. Too many of the Irish pundits are still too close to the current set up and the IRFU

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Devils advocate but rugby is there for the sesh. Some do support it because they love the game but mainly it’s there for its social side since we had a winning team for many of the last ten years.

Ireland’s main strategy for the past 10 years is the box kick. Absolutely rooting the ball into the air. I watch sport to see athletes do things I can’t do.. rooting the ball into the air is a skill of sorts but it’s not exactly Neymar nutmegging a defender.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

duffman13 wrote: »
    To be honest the rugby coverage has been universally poor across all platforms recently. ROG very technical, Matt Williams and Reddan more appealing to the casual fan on Virgin and it still didn't really work. Maybe they are all a bit close to the squad but the game is ****e to comment on.

Biggest issue seems to be the proliferation of players from the "golden generation" all being pundits now (Horgan, Trimble, Bowe, D'Arcy, Stringer, O'Driscoll, O'Gara all come to mind). Soccer seems to be going the same way with former players all from a similar generation all being pundits (Jenas, Keane, Neville, Carrigher, etc) - but at least with soccerball they're split across more teams and seem happier to stick the boot in.

elefant wrote: »
    This sounds like a pearl of wisdom you just cooked up on the spot, and thought it sounded clever.

No, that's just something you cooked up on the spot, and thought it sounded clever
    elefant wrote: »
    You find everything you understand exciting?

No, that's just another thing you cooked up on the spot, and thought it sounded clever

duffman13 wrote: »
    Ironic

He has an unusual opinion on somethings which is nice, he is also very entertaining. He's not always right but who is? The star of the show for me

That's not ironic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭atilladehun

al87987 wrote: »
    Could argue Scotland and Ireland have traded places recently in football and rugby terms.

Definitely with the football. Only a few years since we won a rugby competition so we can all continue on in denial there for a while.

Advertisement