Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,980 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

SexBobomb wrote: »
    Criticism of Biden’s Covid relief plan says it breaks promise of $2000 stimulus checks. -CNBC

Apparently instead of sending out a $2,000 cheque as promised they are sending $1400 and saying that combined with a previous $600 payment already sent, makes up the $2000 that was promised. Not a lot of money to us maybe but to people who have received next to no government support it very well could be. Drawing criticism from Aoc even. For what that's worth.

"..their election will put an end to that block in Washington of that 2,000 dollar stimulus cheque, that money that will go out the door immediately to people who are in real trouble.."

I've been very glad I live here, not there, since the pandemic started.

"The $600 payments have already started being distributed, so it's unclear whether Biden would seek additional $1,400 payments or an additional $2,000." (January 5)

I can see while people feel jerked around though. Clearly though he never said $2600. "The debate about $2000 in Washington" referring to the late december skirmish between Trump, House Dems and the Senate GOP after Trump urged $2000 checks but signed on $600.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭Christy42

Overheal wrote: »
    "The $600 payments have already started being distributed, so it's unclear whether Biden would seek additional $1,400 payments or an additional $2,000." (January 5)

I can see while people feel jerked around though. Clearly though he never said $2600. "The debate about $2000 in Washington" referring to the late december skirmish between Trump, House Dems and the Senate GOP after Trump urged $2000 checks but signed on $600.

You can make an argument it should be 2600 but that really seems like another.

The big debate was 600 vs 2k. Not 600 and 2k plus 600. I thought that part was pretty clear that 2k total is what was promised.

Still it isn't a lot for people who have been struggling for months so 2600 might not have been a bad idea to give them a bit more relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

WrenBoy wrote: »
    $600 + $2000 =$2600 was what was expected, not playing shell games with people during a pandemic.
    I'd agree with this. All throughout the Georgian senate race, it was talked about as a $2000 check that was on the ballot. Yes, it can be argued that $2000 total is what was actually gonna be offered. But the messaging, time and again, was about "$2000 checks". A $1400 check is not a $2000 check.

Really trying to get blood out of a stone on conservative networks.

https://twitter.com/TheDailyShow/status/1354051965634793473?s=20

In what may be the silliest outrage I've seen on Fox since Mustardgate, Ingraham spent almost 3 and half minutes of a 5 minute segment complaining about the brief coverage that the First Dogs, Champ and Major got over the weekend, as well as fuming indignation over press secretary Psaki fielding a question briefly about the First Cat in a weekend response video. The remaining balance of time was spent complaining about the Biden's getting bagels after attending Mass, and taking jabs at his Catholic faith. Conservative watchdog newsbusters also ran 3 different articles complaining about the First Cat, Ice Cream, and of course the dogs, most of which was <<triggered>>> by a 40 second seque on CNN, where John Berman mentioned the dogs briefly and then mocked what would end up, in essence, being the conservative media response:
    Now, we're also hearing Republicans have launched an investigation into the dogs. Susan Collins, we're told, is concerned, and Tucker Carlson is devoting 15 minutes a night to saying the dogs represent cancel culture, because it obscures a discussion that he so desperately wants about cats.

Life indeed imitated art. The right wing media need to get a grip of themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,364 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

In what may be the silliest outrage I've seen on Fox since Mustardgate, Ingraham spent almost 3 and half minutes of a 5 minute segment complaining about the brief coverage that the First Dogs, Champ and Major got over the weekend, as well as fuming indignation over press secretary Psaki fielding a question briefly about the First Cat in a weekend response video. The remaining balance of time was spent complaining about the Biden's getting bagels after attending Mass, and taking jabs at his Catholic faith. Conservative watchdog newsbusters also ran 3 different articles complaining about the First Cat, Ice Cream, and of course the dogs, most of which was <<triggered>>> by a 40 second seque on CNN, where John Berman mentioned the dogs briefly and then mocked what would end up, in essence, being the conservative media response:

Life indeed imitated art. The right wing media need to get a grip of themselves.

This is why Britain and the US are both fcuked. Binary electoral systems dominated by polarised media especially the right-wing media. No shame, no principles. Fourth estate my arse. Click bait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

WrenBoy wrote: »
    $600 + $2000 =$2600 was what was expected, not playing shell games with people during a pandemic.

$2,600 was never mentioned anywhere that I saw. The Republicans blocked $2,000 cheques and only agreed to $600 - the incoming Biden administration said they wanted $2,000 all along, never mentioned $2,600.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

namloc1980 wrote: »
    $2,600 was never mentioned anywhere that I saw. The Republicans blocked $2,000 cheques and only agreed to $600 - the incoming Biden administration said they wanted $2,000 all along, never mentioned $2,600.
    No, it wasn't. But the message was that $2000 checks would be going out, that that was what was on the ballot in Georgia, etc. There was no clarification that actually, it would be raising the $600 that had already gone out to $2000, by issuing an additional $1400 check.

Ossoff himself Tweeted "$2000 checks now" in December, after $600 had already been approved and were starting to go out. So the checks people will be receiving are $1400, not $2000. I just think it's something that was such an obvious, no-brainer good thing to send out $2000 checks. And instead, it's become an issue of messaging where Democrats are having to explain themselves and (appear at least) to be backtracking.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,172 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

And THAT is why you will never have a united America. Just. Not. Possible.

(And before anyone jumps in with "left wing/liberal media" crap, show me an interview where someone asks, "Prseident Biden, you're gettig the credit you deserve, how do you feel?" and we'll talk)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

The complaints about the $2000 or $2600 difference or the rolling out of the over doubling of the minimum wage over a few years rather than instantly is exactly why the left of the Dems is at times so toxic and damaging.

Rather than accepting the 'good' and taking a victory lap, focusing on getting it through, or moving on to the next issue they instead make a huge deal about it not being 'perfect'.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Foxtrol wrote: »
    The complaints about the $2000 or $2600 difference or the rolling out of the over doubling of the minimum wage over a few years rather than instantly is exactly why the left of the Dems is at times so toxic and damaging.

Rather than accepting the 'good' and taking a victory lap, focusing on getting it through, or moving on to the next issue they instead make a huge deal about it not being 'perfect'.

Well, if they are not going to advocate for as much in support payments as possible at a time when a pandemic is approaching 12 months and when they have control of the House, the Senate and the Presidency, then when are they going to.

I understand what you are saying, but also think there needs to be a strong left voice continually to try to achieve as much as possible. Social payments are one thing but the discussion on climate, healthcare, education costs, etc all need strong advocates and the only place those strong advocates are located is on the left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,483 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Well, if they are not going to advocate for as much in support payments as possible at a time when a pandemic is approaching 12 months and when they have control of the House, the Senate and the Presidency, then when are they going to.

I understand what you are saying, but also think there needs to be a strong left voice continually to try to achieve as much as possible. Social payments are one thing but the discussion on climate, healthcare, education costs, etc all need strong advocates and the only place those strong advocates are located is on the left.

I think precisely because of the thin margins of that control, it's a mistake they keep making, veer left, and lose control, baby steps are required to even get back to more centrist policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Agree that there definitely needs to be a strong left voice but the current left voice doesn't seem to be able to take a win. A decent proportion are acting like not getting everything they wanted is akin to getting nothing they wanted and having Trump there.

It makes things messy now and by mid-terms it'll be toxic. It'll be so much harder to run on actual victories when a decent chunk of the party along with the GOP are acting like they are actually defeats.

For example, the minimum wage hasn't been increased in more than a decade and people are complaining that Biden is pushing to more than double it over a 4 year period (along with tying it to a benchmark so it will continue to increase). It is utter stupidity to try to paint that as being anything but a great thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The folks that are giving out about 2600 on this thread would be absolutely loosing their minds if that much was handed out so I'm confused why the outrage. Outrage if they did outrage if they didn't.

Just outrage for outrage sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

100,000 America citizens predicted to die in the first month under the Biden regime.

Cuts the $2,000 stimulus to $1,600.

Wants to send $4,000,000,000 of Americans hard earned taxes to other countries.

Lied about having a plan to defeat covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,278 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Mayabe this has been lost in the noise since the inauguration but did Trump leave Biden a letter as is tradition?

Mayabe this has been lost in the noise since the inauguration but did Trump leave Biden a letter as is tradition?

I believe he did, no idea what it said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

Yep he did Biden said he would not make the contents of it public without speaking to Trump first and getting agreement from him.

100,000 America citizens predicted to die in the first month under the Biden regime.

Because there is now a more transmissible strain spreading. Biden has created a taskforce and signed many executive orders to tackle it. Trump went golfing.

It was always $1,600 $1,400 ($2,000 total).

https://www.businessinsider.com/house-passes-bill-to-increase-600-stimulus-checks-to-2000-2020-12?r=US&IR=T

$4 billion in foreign aid? How dare he!

Oh no someone must have hacked his website! :eek:
    https://joebiden.com/covid-plan/

Got any more nonsense for us?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Because there is now a more transmissible strain spreading. Biden has created a taskforce and signed many executive orders to tackle it. Trump went golfing.

It was always $1,600 ($2,000 total).

https://www.businessinsider.com/house-passes-bill-to-increase-600-stimulus-checks-to-2000-2020-12?r=US&IR=T

$4 billion in foreign aid? How dare he!

Oh no someone must have hacked his website! :eek:
    https://joebiden.com/covid-plan/

Got any more nonsense for us?

There will be plenty more nonsense to come.

I'm kind of enjoying the re-emergence of the Trump supporters.
    They all disappeared in November.

Biden will hopefully defeat the virus, thus opening up the country and getting people employed again.
    I must say he's been proactive.....and normal.
    Such a refreshing change.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭rosser44

this is excellent. The total lack of shame is a sight to behold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

rosser44 wrote: »
    this is excellent. The total lack of shame is a sight to behold
    I hope people learned their lesson over the last few years about taking these people in any way at face value, or as any anything other than concern trolls with no interest whatsoever in the things they pretended to up until January 20th, 2017 and are now pretending to as of January 20th, 2021.

Mockery and derision is all they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,364 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Tippex wrote: »
    Yep he did Biden said he would not make the contents of it public without speaking to Trump first and getting agreement from him.

Biden described the letter as "generous".

Mockery and derision is all they deserve.

You can mock me all you like, I feel empathy for you.

I must say he's been proactive.....and normal.
    Such a refreshing change.

They called him sleepy Joe but he's done more work in less than a week than the last guy did in four years.

Sharp as a tack

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1354149156001034240?s=21

Lovey the doucey bromance developing

They called him sleepy Joe but he's done more work in less than a week than the last guy did in four years.

"I don't know what I'm signing"

Just sign here.

Specifically against the warning in the OP - you are now thread banned

Just sign here.

Hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Just sign here.

You need new material. So boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,449 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr