Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BANDSCAN THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Sunnyboy11

Just noticed IceRadio on 93.2 playing 80s music today, Dublin is really missing a good quality dance station, it’s times like this when I miss Trax & 1025Kiss.
    Happy New year Radio lovers

That 93.2 is like liquorice all sorts one day it plays dance next day it’s 80s following day it’s RnB. It’s all over the place. Like Hot it’s a complete waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭radioguru02

Waterford FreeDAB Mux tonight

Zenith
    Wild Country
    Storm NE
    C Classic
    Global
    Sami Swoi
    United DJ
    C Dance
    O Tempo
    ABC
    Tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,996 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Waterford FreeDAB Mux tonight

Zenith
    Wild Country
    Storm NE
    C Classic
    Global
    Sami Swoi
    United DJ
    C Dance
    O Tempo
    ABC
    Tomorrow

I presume that's the Waterford pirate Open Tempo.

That’s the one

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Radio fan 88.1

i would add club 107 to that list as well.
    still, at least it along with trax is still online.
    no good if you have to rely on fm granted.

Seen a post from Club fms insergram page around new years eve .
    It was a poll asking Listeners yes or no to hear them back on FM Actually was very positive they seem to have a nice flowing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭tiswasfan

Have anoraks stopped scanning the band or lost interest? I gotta admit I've not bothered tuning the car radio since the new Year.

Where are all the niche stations that popped up every Christmas/New year in the past?

Where are the new generations of pirate radio operators, have they deserted terrestrial radio?

Seems it's never been easier to get hold of a transmitter but the scene has kinda died?

tiswasfan wrote: »
    Have anoraks stopped scanning the band or lost interest? I gotta admit I've not bothered tuning the car radio since the new Year.

Where are all the niche stations that popped up every Christmas/New year in the past?

Where are the new generations of pirate radio operators, have they deserted terrestrial radio?

Seems it's never been easier to get hold of a transmitter but the scene has kinda died?

There doesn’t seem to be much to scan for nowadays. In the case of Dublin aren’t all the high-powered FM operators gone now bar Hot, Retro (on Sundays)? What sort of coverage does Ice have?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

tiswasfan wrote: »

From a radio anorak perspective, there’s not much activity to report on unfortunately.

There’s a lot less people on the road due to the cycle of lockdowns. It's much easier to just listen to streaming radio & Spotify on a computer or smart speaker while home working. So, I would expect the potential audience for any FM broadcast radio station to be down. This reduces the appeal of operating a pirate.

Many small businesses and dance clubs are temporarily closed or are just about ticking over. Pirates would have tapped into these for some advertising revenue to help cover costs, but this will have dried up.

So due to a lack of audience, limited or no income, and the ever-present possibility of raids and fines, overall, I would say the current risks of operating a pirate outweigh any potential reward.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Lord Nelson

JDxtra wrote: »
    From a radio anorak perspective, there’s not much activity to report on unfortunately.

There’s a lot less people on the road due to the cycle of lockdowns. It's much easier to just listen to streaming radio & Spotify on a computer or smart speaker while home working. So, I would expect the potential audience for any FM broadcast radio station to be down. This reduces the appeal of operating a pirate.

Many small businesses and dance clubs are temporarily closed or are just about ticking over. Pirates would have tapped into these for some advertising revenue to help cover costs, but this will have dried up.

So due to a lack of audience, limited or no income, and the ever-present possibility of raids and fines, overall, I would say the current risks of operating a pirate outweigh any potential reward.

The fact that a lot of them broadcast irregularly with no fixed hours and change frequency and format at the drop of a hat makes it mostly pointless. You want to listen to your favourite station, it might be on or not, it might be on the same frequency if you're lucky or it might be playing something completely different. Sadly, these days most of them are just a waste of time and electricity.

The fact that a lot of them broadcast irregularly with no fixed hours and change frequency and format at the drop of a hat makes it mostly pointless. You want to listen to your favourite station, it might be on or not, it might be on the same frequency if you're lucky or it might be playing something completely different. Sadly, these days most of them are just a waste of time and electricity.

One of the exceptions to that is Energy (Power) AM on 1395 kh (215 metres) Medium Wave who have been consistent with their weekend programming for quite some time now and up to and including today. They come on Friday evenings with automated music, and broadcast for the best part of Saturday and Sunday- up until nighttime anyway. They also were on a bit more frequently over the post-Christmas period just gone. Every Sunday they relay Retro FM (92.0 FM), while Retro's presenters are on, and afterwards quite often, including this afternoon, Energy's Paul Murray broadcasts live and takes requests. Retro FM are on again today - they are consistent too except they are mainly on Sundays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

it's probably more difficult to get good sites also for transmission.
    in saying that i think we are just in another of many dips over the decades and a couple of stations will pop up eventually.

anyway, has anyone heard galaxy on 94.3? i'm presuming they are playing dance music?
    any jingles or anything on it yet? no web presence for it apart from a facebook page that i have found so far.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

it's probably more difficult to get good sites also for transmission.
    in saying that i think we are just in another of many dips over the decades and a couple of stations will pop up eventually.

anyway, has anyone heard galaxy on 94.3? i'm presuming they are playing dance music?
    any jingles or anything on it yet? no web presence for it apart from a facebook page that i have found so far.

I heard Charity Radio being relayed on 94.3 FM yesterday around the Dundrum/Ballinteer area, as has happened quite a bit since last year. Is Galaxy the Kildare based pirate, which would be more likely to be picked up in the south-west of Dublin?

Is Galaxy the Kildare based pirate, which would be more likely to be picked up in the south-west of Dublin?

yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Radiodays2021

Yes Galaxy was on I think they're doing test transmissions from the studio only
    They seem to have good imaging on Air
    Sounds good also quality
    What I was told is there waiting on a new aerial system to go on a mountainsite so working from Studio I believe

Sounds good also quality
    What I was told is there waiting on a new aerial system to go on a mountainsite so working from Studio I believe

you might want to edit the location out of your post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Radiodays2021

you might want to edit the location out of your post.

Ok

• Registered Users Posts: 49 fmfan

Sounds good also quality

Have they got a webstream or a website up yet?

fmfan wrote: »
    Have they got a webstream or a website up yet?

no, just a facebook page.
    just search galaxy 94 in facebook search.

Any scans this weekend?
    Is it just Hot, Ice, RetroNow and The 90s Network on 24/7 in Dublin nowadays, with Energy at weekends and Retro on Sundays?

Any scans this weekend?
    Is it just Hot, Ice, RetroNow and The 90s Network on 24/7 in Dublin nowadays, with Energy at weekends and Retro on Sundays?

Also Charity Radio relayed on 94.3 on Saturdays at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Dipole Keith

Any scans this weekend?

It’s only Hot & IceRadio that are 24/7

Have Chill been on this year (87.6) - no mention since December?

Also, what about The Beach (105.7) - no mention since November? While we are on it, there has been no mention of the other low-powered station on that same frequency for quite some time now (last referred to as Coast).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Have Chill been on this year (87.6) - no mention since December

Chill continue you on 87.6 - weekday daytime not sure if 24/7

RetroNow continue 24/7 on 98.9 FM

While FM may still be king the 'lockdowns' have led the move to online listening at much faster pace than was ever expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Infoanon wrote: »
    Chill continue you on 87.6 - weekday daytime not sure if 24/7

Had them on myself on Saturday.

RetroNow are on 105.2 at the moment and come on in the early afternoon. Over the weekend, I was getting a weak/distant carrier on 88.1. Also on 99.5, I am getting a station with the ID of 'Radio 7'.

RetroNow are on 105.2 at the moment and come on in the early afternoon. Over the weekend, I was getting a weak/distant carrier on 88.1. Also on 99.5, I am getting a station with the ID of 'Radio 7'.

That's curious as that was also being used over the weekend on the southside to relay Energy (Power) AM.

That's curious as that was also being used over the weekend on the southside to relay Energy (Power) AM.

Is the Energy relay not on 99.3? Or maybe it's both, or is changing often. I can rarely pick it up so not sure.

Is the Energy relay not on 99.3? Or maybe it's both, or is changing often. I can rarely pick it up so not sure.

It moved to 99.3 while Christmas FM was on FM, as Christmas FM had a frequency on 99.5 for the north Wicklow area, which could be picked up on the southside. After Christmas FM finished its FM run, the relay moved back to 99.5. I heard it yesterday.

Maybe it would have made more sense to leave it at 99.3. I remember when Fresh FM was on 99.5 and the relay was on 99.3, and there was no interference between them when they were both on, even where they could both be picked up such as around Ballinteer!

I'm assuming that the station with id "Radio 7" was low-powered or limited to the west of the city, where the relay can hardly be picked up anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Dipole Keith

That station Radio 7 was on 99.0 & 99.5 at different times today, the signal was weak enough in west Dublin, at the time it was playing euro dance stuff. I did get RDS ‘Radio 7’ the information was blank

• Advertisement

That station Radio 7 was on 99.0 & 99.5 at different times today, the signal was weak enough in west Dublin, at the time it was playing euro dance stuff. I did get RDS ‘Radio 7’ the information was blank

It may be a relay of an online Swedish dance station called Radio 7, if it is still around!

Advertisement