Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BANDSCAN THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭radioguru02

marno21 wrote: »
    Cork today:

87.5 Power 87
    97.6 Cityview
    105.3 Gen X

Is 105.3 an OK frequency in the city centre? Would 104.9 be better?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

JDxtra wrote: »
    What I can pick up this evening...

87.6 - Chill FM
    91.0 - Hot FM
    93.2 - Smooth
    98.9 - RetroNow
    104.2 - Storm NE - tone & retune message
    105.2 - Unidentified - hard dance music

is that Smooth form uk

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Mr Snow wrote: »
    is that Smooth form uk

No, it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

87.6fm Chill
    91.0 Hot
    92.0 Retro
    93.2 Smooth
    98.4 Nineties
    98.9 RetroNow
    99.3 Energy AM relay

1395 AM Energy

Dublin City Centre bandscan Sunday 22nd 4pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

kazoo106 wrote: »
    Nope - storm have a "Retune to DAB - back on FM after Christmas" announcement going out in a loop on 104.2 at the moment. Both Clashing in Dundalk but Storm winning the battle ever so slightly

God they really have it in for storm. They gave iradio there 106.2fm frequency when I radio launched ( plenty of space else where)
    Now they give Christmas FM the 104.2fm frequency.
    And plenty of space on the bandwidth.
    It's pathetic.

• Advertisement

How come 104.2 is not listed as a frequency for Christmas FM on the BAI web site? Is it an unofficial (pirate?) relay by someone of Christmas FM, or is it a new authorised frequency just missed off the list?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Dipole Keith

JDxtra wrote: »
    How come 104.2 is not listed as a frequency for Christmas FM on the BAI web site? Is it an unofficial (pirate?) relay by someone of Christmas FM, or is it a new authorised frequency just missed off the list?

Very strange that Storm know of this frequency as in their loop recording and nobody else

Was there, or is there still, something other than Storm on 104.2?

I haven't seen that frequency listed on Christmas FM web site either.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kazoo106

On Thursday evening Xmas FM was on 104.2 from Mount Oriel with a lady presenting. Storm were on and off on the same evening and seemed to pull the main feed at around 9pm reverting to the loop recording.
    Mount Oriel is not listed on the official frequencies, however 104.2 is a Louth allocated frequency

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

There is precedent for this. Xmas FM launched on 105.2 in the Mid West in 2017 completely unannounced and it was later revealed to be a frequency for Clare (Ben Dash).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kazoo106

It would make sense for Christmas to use Mount Oriel over the previous 99.4 on Corrawelis Wood in Cavan with regard to population coverage. Both have similar rural coverage (being only 30km apart) - however Mt. Oriel includes coverage to the urban centres of Drogheda and Dundalk, which suffers from severe Multipath on the old 99.4.
    It would not surprise me if 99.4 does not surface this year at all

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Very strange that Storm know of this frequency as in their loop recording and nobody else

Not really. Those in the business of TX engineering will know by default the limited amount of frequency/ies and allowable ERF powers available to any temporary station that may need them. Behind the scenes there's a certain amount of fraternisation between those in the business so it's easier for all concerned to make a call to get them to switch off ahead of the time, or better yet for a station to switch off without prompting.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Christmas FM made a brief appearance on 105.2 in Clare today, no sign of life on 105.0 Kerry, 105.5 Limerick or 106.7 Cork.

Most years they are testing at this stage but no sign this year.

Carrier for Christmas FM now on 105.2 in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Antenna

marno21 wrote: »
    Christmas FM made a brief appearance on 105.2 in Clare today, no sign of life on 105.0 Kerry, 105.5 Limerick or 106.7 Cork.

+ there's another new one, 87.7 in north Co. Cork, parts of south Limerick

Antenna wrote: »
    + there's another new one, 87.7 in north Co. Cork, parts of south Limerick

87.7 and 105.0 (Tralee) both coming in with RDS here in Cork City. Strong signal on both before the 106.7 Cork City frequency comes on

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Dipole Keith

I got 105.2, 88.1 & 99.4 on my travels today, Sounding good and this year they are synced up so it doesn’t sound like the station is skipping like previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

99.5 and 106.6 loud and clear in Wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

99.5 and 106.6 loud and clear in Wicklow

Clear as a bell and all in sync - driving from Newtownmountkennedy to Bray this morning and 106.6, 99.5 and 105.2 all switched perfectly as required during the journey.

Best of luck guys - looking forward to some seasonal normality at the current strange times.

I received a patchy RDS enabled Xmas FM on 104.2 in Tallaght round around midday today. It takes a bit of a hammering from the FM104 splatter but it is there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Will some of the Christmas FM presenters be doing their shows from home this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

Will some of the Christmas FM presenters be doing their shows from home this year?

I'd say a lot will! They've had presenters on the online stream for the past few weeks. I'd assume everyone has been testing the equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Intresting post from storm on their facebook:
    We've had to leave the FM band for a few weeks as it seems another station needs to use our frequency. You can still hear us with crystal clear audio on DAB all across the NE, Cork and Waterford, and why not check out our new pop up station on DAB, Storm Christmas, playing all your Christmas favourites while there. If your car is recent - check out the DAB band tonight !

I'd say a lot will! They've had presenters on the online stream for the past few weeks. I'd assume everyone has been testing the equipment.

They usually go with a day or two of dry runs each year before the FM switches in, which is odd as they've had a static studio set up for a few years now. Obviously this year there's a lot more for them to test out if home casting is de rigour.

Where it may get interesting is if it opens them up to having new talent on the roster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,996 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I did tune into Christmas FM the odd time online. It's a great station for giving newer or lesser-known presenters an opportunity to broadcast. Two people I heard online, who I had not actually heard before (I may have seen their names) were Aine O'Neill and Lar Flynn.

Christmas FM was testing last night on 105.2. It had a very strong signal around my area.

castle2012 wrote: »
    Intresting post from storm on their facebook:
    We've had to leave the FM band for a few weeks as it seems another station needs to use our frequency. You can still hear us with crystal clear audio on DAB all across the NE, Cork and Waterford, and why not check out our new pop up station on DAB, Storm Christmas, playing all your Christmas favourites while there. If your car is recent - check out the DAB band tonight !

A dance station does Christmas - interesting twist!

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭TheBMG

Is it just my car radio or has Q102 lost its RDS?

TheBMG wrote: »
    Is it just my car radio or has Q102 lost its RDS?

No RDS on 102.2 in my car either

I noticed it last night too. I thought Q102 was gone silent, but I think it was the RDS that was gone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Smells like teen spirit playing now on Smooth in Dublin. Bit of an odd choice for a station called Smooth.

Advertisement