Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,315 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Craft Direct also now have the €2.50/ €3/ €4 ranges rather than the multibuy. I'd say the multiples will try to fleece a few weeks out of it first....
    Mimon wrote: »
    Don't agree with the legislation myself as it's nanny stateism but some might argue that this is what it was designed to do. A person may buy just one bottle now instead of the two and not be exposed to the temptation to open a second bottle.
    They'll probably announce it as success based upon a reduction in sales. Whether it has any impact on the amount drank is a different matter. As I said, multibuys have been a contributor to me building up a stash, but doesn't really impact on how much I drink. The whole thing, up to an including minimum pricing, is optics (no pun intended).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

It feels like there's a lull of special releases / once-off releases etc in the post-Christmas period. At least now I can make a move against the stash I've built up over the last couple of weeks...!

Pen Rua wrote: »
    It feels like there's a lull of special releases / once-off releases etc in the post-Christmas period. At least now I can make a move against the stash I've built up over the last couple of weeks...!

Wicklow Wolf have had only one and we're two weeks in, so we're definitely on a slowdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Effects wrote: »
    They probably had it, but you had to ask for it. Seemed like some places had it out the back. I got a few in Molloys, then they got some more in and was able to get more. Molloys will often look something up on their system, and transfer it for you as well if it's in another branch.

I think the demand thing was a bit of a marketing ploy. It didn't seem that hard to come by.

Nah, I asked them at the time and they said they didn't have any in that particular branch.

Wicklow Wolf have had only one and we're two weeks in, so we're definitely on a slowdown.
    Plus the Lough Gill/ Wicklow Wolf 2nd Collab was only out this year I think? I only got it this year anyway. Ocean of Storms Salted Caramel and Oreo's Imperial Pastry Stout - no Beanut Putter, but very nice all the same.

I'm not sure of when Lough Gill released Chuckee Larmz Imperial Milk Stout Lucky Charm Milk Stout, but I picked it up at the same time (it's on tomorrow's hit list).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Just ordered off Craftdirect for the first time. i doubt its next day delivery in these times but they have a decent selection of Irish beers, but surprisingly, no Belgian or German beers...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Beanstalk wrote: »
    Just ordered off Craftdirect for the first time. i doubt its next day delivery in these times but they have a decent selection of Irish beers, but surprisingly, no Belgian or German beers...

They usually are.

They were next day last week anyway! I don't think there's issues within Ireland - it's anything coming from overseas.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

surprisingly, no Belgian or German beers...
    They have both Timmermans and And Union. Your Belgian and German options are fairly limited when you don't sell bottled beers.

ah, thats the reason so. ah well i'm not disspointed with the selection looking forward to trying the Larkin's Ginerbread Brown Ale and Vocation's Maple and Pecan stout! If they come before the weekend, even better!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

I know some aren't impressed with barrel aged beers... but I still think this is fantastic

I know some aren't impressed with barrel aged beers... but I still think this is fantastic

What year is it?

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Craft Direct also now have the €2.50/ €3/ €4 ranges rather than the multibuy.
    O'Brien's, in Bray at least, has also switched from 4 for €10 and 3 for €9 to €2.50 and €3 shelves.

The new Wicklow Wolf not part of the offer anyway...

In fairness though, that one is considered one of the best ones you can get. If you don't like KBS it's probably safe to say that Barrel Aged Stouts are probably not your thing.*

*of course there will be exceptions! And all Barrel Aged beers are not stouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Had the Galway hooker Mango, not bad but a little bit on the thin side, picked up another Sower, think it's becoming my favourite sour.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭flended12

MINIKEG_happyDays_square-scaled.jpg?fit=2048%2C2048&ssl=1

Had a glass or 2 of this last night, was in fridge since new years, a little flat, but drinkable (just). Think the best way to drink these mini kegs would be over 3 days max, after that they just lose life.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I really can't see the advantages of these aside from the novelty of having one at a party.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭flended12

irish_goat wrote: »
    I really can't see the advantages of these aside from the novelty of having one at a party.

Completely agree, it was given as a gift and well received, but if i was on an all day session at a bbq or something, it would work well then.

Plus if I use it as a seat I can pretend im a giant! :)

flended12 wrote: »
    MINIKEG_happyDays_square-scaled.jpg?fit=2048%2C2048&ssl=1

Had a glass or 2 of this last night, was in fridge since new years, a little flat, but drinkable (just). Think the best way to drink these mini kegs would be over 3 days max, after that they just lose life.

As far as session ipa goes that's one of the best. But it has been said that the mini kegs don't keep the gas so if its not used in one sitting it's a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Has anyone had anything from Dundalk Bay/Brewmaster?

They have a fine spot in the fridge in the Spar in Kilmainham and I'm very tempted by any Irish Imperial Stouts and Pilsners, but it'll have to wait.

Interested to hear experiences.

• Advertisement

They have a fine spot in the fridge in the Spar in Kilmainham and I'm very tempted by any Irish Imperial Stouts and Pilsners, but it'll have to wait.

The ones that I tried were ok. Nothing groundbreaking but not terrible. The Imperial Stout was the least impressive.

Black, Maibock and Imperial Stout are all excellent, IMO. The one they labelled "Belgian Trappist American Pale Ale" was great too, and I'm not 100% sure if the one now sold as "American Pale Ale" is the same beer but I think it might be.

Illogical* on my part, but I'm just put off trying the Brewmaster beers. I really don't like the branding, but I think it's that they came at it from the engineering angle rather than a brewing/ love of beer one. It just feels a bit opportunistic for me, launching to contract brew as much as their own beers.

*illogical because I'm sure the actual brewers are, well, brewers not engineers!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Illogical* on my part, but I'm just put off trying the Brewmaster beers. I really don't like the branding, but I think it's that they came at it from the engineering angle rather than a brewing/ love of beer one. It just feels a bit opportunistic for me, launching to contract brew as much as their own beers.

*illogical because I'm sure the actual brewers are, well, brewers not engineers!

I agree, I'm always put off by the branding too. Their brewer is Dave who used to be headbrewer at Trouble and then Pearse Lyons(Foxes Rock) so he certainly knows what he's doing at least.

irish_goat wrote: »
    I agree, I'm always put off by the branding too.
    I don't think they could look anymore "commercial pretending to be craft" even if they're not. I've the same issue with the look of the Dublin City Brewing cans too. I'm not sure whether that shows me being sucked in by labels, or the backgrounds of the owners though. Neither would ever make it on to beer label wall in the mancave anyway!

Well, Craftdirect was next day delivery after all! delighted with that!

beers.jpg

I don't think they could look anymore "commercial pretending to be craft" even if they're not. I've the same issue with the look of the Dublin City Brewing cans too.
    I think they both hired the same ex-Diageo consultant when starting out, and I have a suspicion that he's advising microbreweries to try and present themselves like large established industrials, maybe because those are trusted brands and sell by the million (or maybe because it's the only thing he knows). It's a bad misreading of the Irish speciality beer market, IMO. And they can have that opinion for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Well, Craftdirect was next day delivery after all! delighted with that!

beers.jpg

Enjoy that Lervig one - Orange Velvet. One of my favourites. Must pick up a can next time it's in Bradley's.

I don't think they could look anymore "commercial pretending to be craft" even if they're not. I've the same issue with the look of the Dublin City Brewing cans too. I'm not sure whether that shows me being sucked in by labels, or the backgrounds of the owners though. Neither would never make it on to beer label wall in the mancave anyway!

Aren't a lot of the beers from both of those breweries supposedly same beer/different can?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I've only had their American Pale Ale and Micro IPA. The pale ale was pretty bad, nothing like a pale ale. If I had tasted it blind I would swear it was a red ale or maybe even Belgian, and not a good one. The micro IPA was actually decent, lots of flavour for 1.8% but way over carbonated. You would be seriously bloated if you had a few of them.

Branding wise they kind of have a retro look about them but not great other than that.

Edit: I see on Untappd the American Pale Ale says formally "Belgian Trappist American Pale Ale" so that solves my confusion

Advertisement