Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Is it wrong that I really like the Lidl Crafty IPA?

There’s a lot to like about a good few of those Crafty beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jordy777

What’s KBS? Seen it mentioned a few times and it just won’t click with me.

Short for Kentucky Breakfast Stout but, like KFC, no one calls it that anymore. Founders barrel aged stout with coffee and chocolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Oh, and a 2016 KBS.

Had mine last night with a chocolate brownie.
    It aged well.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

jordy777 wrote: »
    Short for Kentucky Breakfast Stout but, like KFC, no one calls it that anymore.

Apparently Founders had to change the name about 12 or 13 years ago for legal reasons, because it's not actually brewed in Kentucky.

• Advertisement

Had mine last night with a chocolate brownie.
    It aged well.

Yeah, I had one the other night and was very happy with how it had aged. Found a 2016 Backwoods Bastard that I didn't realise I still had and had that last night. It didn't age so well. It was still a very good beer imo, but the bourbon had gone and it didn't have the same sweetness of a newer bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭flended12

Will open soon. Will update upon completion...bet yiz cant wait 🀣

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I remember being very impressed with Brewdog Paradox (I think) which iirc was originally an aged ale rather than a stout
    I'm trying to think if it was an ale at some stage, but it definitely started out in 2007 as a barrel-aged version of Rip Tide, an 8% ABV stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Not wrong to like any beer.
    It's wrong to stubbornly insist that any beer is the best beer!

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭flended12

flended12 wrote: »

First swig was a bit of a shock but it mellowed out well and became quite drinkable. By the way I dont like liquorice but this was more than pleasant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,085 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Decent beer by a decent brewery at a decent price. Would find it odder if someone who liked the style didn't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Best 2 euro IPA out there imo.

2017 200 Fathoms. Had a bottle of 2016 the other night and it was better than I remembered it originally, not that it was a bad beer when it was released. However the 2017 was better than 2016, both then and now. It's lovely and mellow with a richness that was missing from the 2016 bottle. Going to have a 2018 bottle before I break into this year's batch, so it'll be interesting to see how they all stack up against one another.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

BeerNut wrote: »
    I'm trying to think if it was an ale at some stage, but it definitely started out in 2007 as a barrel-aged version of Rip Tide, an 8% ABV stout.

I had some idea on my head that it wasn't a stout. Could be completely wrong about that, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I'd assume the high scores are down to the fact that barrel aged and imperial stouts in general are quite expensive so you'd want to be sure you like them before buying them. I'm sure the exclusivity and limited edition nature means people might regard them higher even if they really are only average

True, I suppose it’s an echo chamber of sorts.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

BeerNut wrote: »

Definitely always been a stout.

Had a North star last night, colab between northern Monk and lervig.
    Might as well have been stout aged in amaretto barrels.
    Not bad at all.
    Will take a shift tonight and have some bran & sceolan with some spicy curry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Had a North star last night, colab between northern Monk and lervig.
    Might as well have been stout ages in amaretto barrels.
    Not bad at all.
    Will take a shift tonight and have some bran & scallan with some spicy curry.

That's a supermarket stout over here although £4 a can

RasTa wrote: »
    That's a supermarket stout over here although £4 a can

Gas!
    Sold here has an exotic foreign import.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Mother Mac's have teamed up with Treaty City for a limited edition "latte stout", with all the proceeds going to charity (the Mid Western Cancer Foundation). It's a cracker. 5.5%. Fair play to both of them for supporting a good cause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

flended12 wrote: »
    537320.jpg

Had that on the White Hag Stout and Oyster night; fúck me it was gorgeous! Best one of the night by far! Loved it and I'm not a fan of liquorice at all really!

I'll ring in the new year now with one of my 200 Fathoms methinks and whatever the last week of the Mikkeller box has in store.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Is the Lagunitas barrel aged stout available in Ireland? Very nice and great value at around $14 a six pack in California. I have a bottle of their 2018 edition that I might break out on NYE.

Does anybody know what happened to 'The Format?'

Found a bottle of 'Theo' under the stairs and I'm tempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Over the past 30 days I've had approximately 35-40. Different types of beers/stouts, tonight I was hanging for a Guinness, and by jaysus it is delicious.
    Out of the fridge for an hour, swamped a few cans.

Poorside wrote: »
    Over the past 30 days I've had approximately 35-40. Different types of beers/stouts, tonight I was hanging for a Guinness, and by jaysus it is delicious.
    Out of the fridge for an hour, swamped a few cans.

As much as I love all sorts, there still has yet to be that feeling of a Guinness from the local achieved by anything else I've ever had. A cold can of draught comes close TBF in these trying times. Though, I've none in the house atm.

I’d be of the same mind on a pint of it, nothing comes close. Wouldn’t touch a can of it though.

I’d be of the same mind on a pint of it, nothing comes close. Wouldn’t touch a can of it though.

Myself and draught cans became very acquainted when writing my thesis back in Feb-April.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭sceach16

I would love a pint in a pub but I had a can last night (carefully poured)........ 500 ml with widget. I really enjoyed it. Absence makes the heart etc. :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Would like to think it won't be long til we get decent nitro stout in cans. UK and American breweries already doing it so hopefully only a matter of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Christ lads, I'm getting all sentimental here thinking about pints of plain in the local! A sad way to end 2020/start 2021 😂

Advertisement