Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

L1011 wrote: »
    Stuck with my local petrol stations slightly baffling selection, because I had forgotten I was off tomorrow and could stay up later.

Their craft options are O'Haras DIPA, O'Haras Hop Adventure series, O'Haras OpSession, McGargles Francis, McGargles Rosies and that's basically it. Its been the same, bar the Hop Adventures changing when the hop changes, for four years.

But they're all in the fridge, which is what counts. Hop Adventure Centennial is still working well.

Had the new Strata Hop Adventure the other night. I liked it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Had the new Strata Hop Adventure the other night. I liked it.

I'll probably have to buy all the Centennials that are left in Maxol myself if I want to see that any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

I see The White Hag have posted an apology on twitter relating to comments of an employee. Anyone got the full story? Doesn't look good anyway.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I see The White Hag have posted an apology on twitter relating to comments of an employee. Anyone got the full story? Doesn't look good anyway.

Start here in the Supporting Craft Breweries thread

The apology is an arse-covering attempt and falls well short.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,832 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

L1011 wrote: »
    Stuck with my local petrol stations slightly baffling selection, because I had forgotten I was off tomorrow and could stay up later.

Their craft options are O'Haras DIPA, O'Haras Hop Adventure series, O'Haras OpSession, McGargles Francis, McGargles Rosies and that's basically it. Its been the same, bar the Hop Adventures changing when the hop changes, for four years.

But they're all in the fridge, which is what counts. Hop Adventure Centennial is still working well.

I'd pick Francis out of that lot any day.

Which of those OH's are any good? Bar Lean Folain it's years since I had a decent beer from them - I just tend to avoid.

• Advertisement

I used to like their white one but it's a long time since I tried it. I remember trying to track down their red at some stage last year but couldn't get it anywhere so it's either very popular or very unpopular.

Edit - Freebird.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,321 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I had the Irish Stout over Christmas for the first time in a long time and thought it was very decent - better than I remembered, but I was drinking them too cold then. The Red is still going, and I think still stands up, but a long time since I had it. Tesco seemed to drop it at some point and it went off my radar, but my Red loving Bro-in-Law still rates it.

White Haze is my favourite of their lighter beers, although any of the Hop Adventure have been alright in my uneducated experience. The better half has the Session has one of her go to beers, having never liked Opsession.

Was organising the stash last night - I've ended up with a few Tropical from first lockdown that got buried behind a (non beer) box. On the list for tonight. I do remember being disappointed in the DIPA, considering 4 or 5 years ago it would've been one of my favourites. Not sure whether I've moved on/ developed my own taste or it just isn't as nice - a few of them left too!

O'Hara's used to be my staple brewery when I was discovering decent beer. I ordered a couple of boxes in lockdown 1, one of which went missing with fastway - they sent a second one, and then eventually 1st also turned up, so I ended up a bit over supplied!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I always enjoy O'Haras Stout, Red and Leann Follain. They're normally available at a decent price (or via Aldi). Always feel like their US style beers tend to fall a little short compared to what else is out there though.

irish_goat wrote: »
    I always enjoy O'Haras Stout, Red and Leann Follain. They're normally available at a decent price (or via Aldi). Always feel like their US style beers tend to fall a little short compared to what else is out there though.

This.
    I was a fan of the Irish Pale Ale when it came out and, of course, Lean Follain but, as you say, any hoppy ones I've tried have been pretty poor. I just wondered if any are actually worth trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Had three beers last night:

1. Oskar Brewery Dunkel - Much lighter than a traditional dunkel, not bad but maybe a little too sweet without the body to back it up
    2. Metalman Smoked Chili Porter - Dissapointing. No chili and not really smoked. In fact, if you are going to put 'Smoked' in the title, then you really need to make sure theres enough smoked malt in it. In this case there wasn't. Same with the chili, either go for it or don't bother. Also more like a brown ale.
    3. Fireman Walker Cherry Chocolate Stout - Very decent, a lovely stout with a wee hint of cherry - not a patch on vocation's recent offering but then that would be twice the ABV as well.

• Advertisement

This.
    I was a fan of the Irish Pale Ale when it came out and, of course, Lean Follain but, as you say, any hoppy ones I've tried have been pretty poor. I just wondered if any are actually worth trying.
    The box that I got two of was the mixed IPA case, White Haze definitely the stand out followed by whatever the Hop Adventure was at the time. fwiw, that was the one I ended up getting two boxes, and it was the DIPA and 51st State that I've still in the stash. The rest went between the two of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Planning to clear out my stash over this weekend - a couple of Whiplash repeats lined up, plus Morrigan (from Larkins) and starting into my GBB 200 Fathroms set with the version with coconut up first.

My stash is constantly filling up with one off runs from Irish breweries that I never find room for bottles from the continent - always miss that half of the fridge in Bradley's. Next time, next time...!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭thegeezer

Am I allowed to mention the experience I had with the Beer Shop on here - it was very positive and also (for those unaware), I will explain how their search opened up a treasure trove of red ales and barley wines :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭BalboBiggins

I got a hope beer collection recently and loved it. Any other recommendations based from that lads?

I got a hope beer collection recently and loved it. Any other recommendations based from that lads?

A pre made set or do you just mean a range of beers? Hope are one of the best, and if you got one each of Wicklow Wolfs core range you wouldn’t be going too far wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭BalboBiggins

A pre made set or do you just mean a range of beers? Hope are one of the best, and if you got one each of Wicklow Wolfs core range you wouldn’t be going too far wrong.

Thanks! It was a range of their beers so I'll try WW next.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    O'Brien's, in Bray at least, has also switched from 4 for €10 and 3 for €9 to €2.50 and €3 shelves.
    In my local centra - the only craft beer they carry is Wicklow Wolf (and not even the full range despite being a couple of km from the hop farm). They had the 440ml at €3 (it was 2 for €6) and the 330ml at €2.60 (rather than 2 for €5).

No sign of Tesco matching the previous offers with €2.50 or €3 ranges, yet. Just had a look at the Supervalu website, and it seems only Wicklow Wolf close to matching the "2 for" offers. O'Hara's is at €2.75, including Leann Follain. Tesco has the previous (all of them) 4 for €10 craft beers at €2.94 each (and 3 for 9 at €3.44).

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭thegeezer

Tesco current do the following :-

Hogoblin Ruby (beautiful red ale from UK) 2.06
    Solas Red Ale (another fave of mine) 1.97
    St Austell Tribute 4 for 10
    Fullers London Pride (sadly the only one of the range they regularly stock now) 4 for 10
    Cans of Rebel Red
    From time to time they have others

Recommendations from my Xmas Beer Club binge !
    Brehon Kilanny Red (really nice red) cans 2.79/bottle 3.49
    Renegade Irish Red (cans) 3.49
    Dungarvan Copper Coast Red (prob one of my all time faves) 4.19
    Hope Red (cans) 3.39

They have an excellent search function which works really well. You can also just leave them an email if something you want is sold out. I put in huge order, they called me about non-available ones and agreed what to substitute. I foound them great to deal with and just about to put second delivery order in now !

https://www.thebeerclub.ie/search?page=1&q=red+ale&type=product

I picked up two of the White Hags Pastry Stouts yesterday.
    Not sure how long they're around as I'm mainly just at the Guinness and Murphys but they're not around too long anyway.

Mexican Hot Chocolate Pastry Stout:
    This is one of the most unique beers I've ever had, dont let the "Stout" aspect put anyone off, as these are no different than the random IPAs you pick up.

The taste is almost like Absinthe, without that harsh alcohol twang(naturally with a lower volume the edge would change).
    Red After Shock(mulled wine maybe too) would be the closest I can think of... I'm conflicted by it and I'm not sure how much I like it.
    I've another two in the press and I'll know more after those.

Chocolate Coconut Pastry Stout:
    This one was definitely nicer and something I could see myself having multiples of.
    Again its a very unique beer and not at all strictly for a stout drinker.

Both come in at 5.5% which is above my min level of 5% for craft purchases :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

I must admit, I do like the odd can of Brewdogs Elvis Juice...was in Aldi the other day and saw that they had the bright red cans in-stock, went over and saw that it was actually something called Memphis Boulevard...had not spotted it before, but as it was a rip off of the original I thought I'd try it....nope.. won't be getting it again :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

This is one of the most unique beers I've ever had, dont let the "Stout" aspect put anyone off, as these are no different than the random IPAs you pick up.

The taste is almost like Absinthe, without that harsh alcohol twang(naturally with a lower volume the edge would change).
    Red After Shock(mulled wine maybe too) would be the closest I can think of... I'm conflicted by it and I'm not sure how much I like it.

This had a very distinctive Cola taste to it. Delicious imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭flended12

Giving this a rattle later.

I must admit, I do like the odd can of Brewdogs Elvis Juice...was in Aldi the other day and saw that they had the bright red cans in-stock, went over and saw that it was actually something called Memphis Boulevard...had not spotted it before, but as it was a rip off of the original I thought I'd try it....nope.. won't be getting it again :)

I had a can of it last month now that you say it.

I had to say it was pretty good for the price and an own brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Have some of this Otterbank stuff lined up. Never tried Brett Pale ale before, not sure what to expect.

Have some of this Otterbank stuff lined up. Never tried Brett Pale ale before, not sure what to expect.

Expect dry funky spicy yeasty, I'd say for the brett.
    Other one could be sour and funky
    (I've not had those beers yet)

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭flended12

flended12 wrote: »
    Giving this a rattle later.

The quote Ron Burgundy

"...that smells like pure gasoline!"

This is a sipper for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Would love to try this. Live half an hour from Muff and can't find anywhere!

Just found a can of a Heaney imperial stout that I think might have to be opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

I picked up two of the White Hags Pastry Stouts yesterday.
    Not sure how long they're around as I'm mainly just at the Guinness and Murphys but they're not around too long anyway.

I've another two in the press and I'll know more after those.

Chocolate Coconut Pastry Stout:
    This one was definitely nicer and something I could see myself having multiples of.
    Again its a very unique beer and not at all strictly for a stout drinker.

Both come in at 5.5% which is above my min level of 5% for craft purchases :)

Found both of them to have a very artificial taste, won't be touching any of their experimental stuff again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Yellowbelly Citra and Kinnegar Scraggy bay, won't go wrong with either

Advertisement