Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

BeerNut wrote: »
    Apparently the sorting machines will sometimes fail to recognise squashed cans, or ones with plastic labels on. It's best to leave them unsquashed and peel the labels off. Some of the shrink-wrapped ones have handy perforations for zipping the sleeve off before binning the can.

I know in theory I probably should but the green bin is too small and the pickups too infrequent not to squash them.

Even if someone was taking off the branding and leaving them in their shape they are still a dream compared to bottles though. The bank near me is always full and they get stinking after a while sitting. Can is way quicker to chill if you bang an unplanned one in the freezer too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,321 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Finally, I'm justified in having "beer wall" in the mancave of the peeled can labels! Our green bin needs standing on between collections, so no way could cans go in unsquashed.

I'm 100% a 440ml can convert now - far more efficient use of fridge space than bottles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Pen Rua wrote: »
    I haven't made a trip to an off license in a while (so probably have missed it by now), but I saw on Untappd the local place was selling it for upwards of €13 or so? Maybe north of €14.50. As much as I am a fan of Whiplash, I'm not sure I'd be willing to drop that much on a can? As much as we deride the wax sealed bottles, they do add to the premium nature of a product versus a can.

It's hard to make money from BA stuff so they probably chucked it into one barrel for a year and worked out costs that way.

Galway Bay would probably do 10x the batch size for 200 fathoms.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Pointy Shoes the only one I've really loved, as I found the barrel subtle in the taste.

I think I'll be having one of those later tonight.

Just finishing one of their Locavore stouts first. Quality, as usual, from Wicklow Wolf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

A Christmas gift that I've been afraid to open until now. The 'weak' one was delicious. I may be posting crap later on.

IMG-20210104-214559.jpg

• Advertisement

I think I'll be having one of those later tonight.

Just finishing one of their Locavore stouts first. Quality, as usual, from Wicklow Wolf.

They nail almost everything.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

They nail almost everything.

Any beer I've tried from that brewery I've enjoyed.

That said, I decided to be a little bit silly tonight. I polished off the Pointy Shoes with the second half of the Southampton v Liverpool match. The night felt young so I cracked open a can of Morrígan bourbon stout (Larkin's). I loved both, but tonight I preferred the Morrigan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Are we losing the deals on craft beers from the 11th? Is it the end of 4 for a tenner or 3 for 9 euro? How will the craft breweries combat this?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Are we losing the deals on craft beers from the 11th? Is it the end of 4 for a tenner or 3 for 9 euro? How will the craft breweries combat this?

Was told by someone in o'briens that they'll just reduce each individual drinks price

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Forgive me if I'm out of the loop here, but why would we loose the deals? Are the government chagind the legislation again? :confused:

• Advertisement

Forgive me if I'm out of the loop here, but why would we loose the deals? Are the government chagind the legislation again? :confused:

Yep.

Could they do different sizes as a workaround?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Could they do different sizes as a workaround?

Yes, with extra packaging.

E.g. packaged multipack of 4x355ml US cans could be sold for less than 4 times the price of a single 330ml can; once they never sell the 355ml cans on their own in the same shop

Its a hassle for the brewer, distributor and retailer and introduces extra costs to do so, though. You may have seen the people quite happy that the US are set to allow 700ml whiskey bottles (they currently need 750ml) as it'll reduce the cost to supply Irish product there - just a new label not an entirely new bottle. Same applies to this.

For stuff that is almost always sold on those deals - e.g. my local shop has had most McGargles, 8 Degrees, Wicklow Wolf and Galway Bay on 2-for-5 or 2-for-6 depending on size/ABV forever - they'll probably just reprice to 2.50 and 3 and lose the 30c or whatever on the very occasional single purchase

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Are the government chagind the legislation again? :confused:
    Not really. The primary legislation allowing this has been in place since 2008 and was reaffirmed in another Act in 2018. The secondary legislation which activates the clause next week was signed almost a year ago.

Say what you like about our alcohol legislation, but it doesn't do sudden changes.

L1011 wrote: »
    For stuff that is almost always sold on those deals - e.g. my local shop has had most McGargles, 8 Degrees, Wicklow Wolf and Galway Bay on 2-for-5 or 2-for-6 depending on size/ABV forever - they'll probably just reprice to 2.50 and 3 and lose the 30c or whatever on the very occasional single purchase
    This is what I'd expect. Some of the deals it's even less than 30c per unit.

It genuinely doesn't impact on my drinking, but these offers do lead me to build up a stash, as I get sucked into 4 for, rather than just 2 or 3, and my drinking doesn't keep up with my buying. To the degree I was going to try and work it down this month - online order put in yesterday arrived this morning, so New Years Resolution fail in record time! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

RasTa wrote: »
    Nope, asked them on their investor forum and they confirmed it but didn't name who.

Disappointing to see Verdant went with a distributor who only delivers to Cork every couple of weeks - over a month after their beers appeared in Dublin a handful just arrived in Bradleys today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Had a sour called Sower last night, was a teeth sucker of a sour and very nice indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Popped into my local Mollys earlier and noticed that they had 2 bottles of 200 Fathoms on the shelf, although they didn’t have any on the original release. They were priced at €8.95. Too much of a bargain to pass up.

When they scanned them in they came up as €11.50 but changed them when I told them about the price on the shelf. Only charged me €8.50! :)

On the down side they didn’t apply the 4 for €10 offer on the other beers!! Annoying because I only picked up 4 because there was only one that I wanted! They’re terrible for not applying the multi buy discounts.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Pooped into my local Mollys earlier and noticed that they had 2 bottles of 200 Fathoms on the shelf, although they didn’t have any on the original release. They were priced at €8.95. Too much of a bargain to pass up.

When they scanned them in they came up as €11.50 but changed them when I told them about the price on the shelf. Only charged me €8.50! :)

On the down side they didn’t apply the 4 for €10 offer on the other beers!! Annoying because I only picked up 4 because there was only one that I wanted! They’re terrible for not applying the multi buy discounts.
    Which branch...for research purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Which branch...for research purposes.

There was only 2 left!

I’d also like to clarify that I “popped” not “pooped”

• Advertisement

There was only 2 left!

I’d also like to clarify that I “popped” not “pooped”

Too late.
    It's on record now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Craft Central are the first I've seen reacting to the new rules.

They've replaced their 4 for €x deals with new €2.50 (4 for €10), €3 (4 for €12), €3.75 (4 for €15) and €5 (4 for €20) collections.

They've replaced their 4 for €x deals with new €2.50 (4 for €10), €3 (4 for €12), €3.75 (4 for €15) and €5 (4 for €20) collections.
    Just had a look at Tesco, and they've just removed the 4 for €10/ 3 for €9 so far (online at least) without changing base price. I had a few staples that I've got there or supervalu.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Fair play to them. Where there's a will, there's a way ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Poorside wrote: »
    Had a sour called Sower last night, was a teeth sucker of a sour and very nice indeed.

Ah Gipsy Hill. They have some great stuff.

https://gipsyhillbrew.com/product/sower

Where's you pick it up? I haven't had that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Ah Gipsy Hill. They have some great stuff.

https://gipsyhillbrew.com/product/sower

Where's you pick it up? I haven't had that one.

No. 21 Off licence, in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Popped into my local Mollys earlier and noticed that they had 2 bottles of 200 Fathoms on the shelf, although they didn’t have any on the original release.

They probably had it, but you had to ask for it. Seemed like some places had it out the back. I got a few in Molloys, then they got some more in and was able to get more. Molloys will often look something up on their system, and transfer it for you as well if it's in another branch.

I think the demand thing was a bit of a marketing ploy. It didn't seem that hard to come by.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

Poorside wrote: »
    No. 21 Off licence, in Limerick.

I spotted it in O'Briens at the Parkway, Limerick too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Yeah, noticed that myself as that's where I get all my stuff from.

It's a hole in the legislation that supermarkets etc will avail of, instead of advertising say two €12 bottles of wine for €20, they'll just reduce the bottles of wine individually to €10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Hurrache wrote: »
    Yeah, noticed that myself as that's where I get all my stuff from.

It's a hole in the legislation that supermarkets etc will avail of, instead of advertising say two €12 bottles of wine for €20, they'll just reduce the bottles of wine individually to €10.

Don't agree with the legislation myself as it's nanny stateism but some might argue that this is what it was designed to do. A person may buy just one bottle now instead of the two and not be exposed to the temptation to open a second bottle.

Anyone know if the Malthouse in Trim has reduced it's prices to match what you would be getting in the multibuy craft beer offers?

Advertisement