Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Thunderbirds

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Disappointing to hear that both Martin Corry & Daragh McCarthy have left their positions with Cavan. Daragh had been in for the U20 job I understand so not sure if that was a factor.

Daragh is over Butlersbridge. Didn't hear Corry was gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Daragh is over Butlersbridge. Didn't hear Corry was gone.

No reason he couldn’t do both the goalkeeping role with the county team and manage Butlersbridge.

Great appointment by Butlersbridge in fairness. He’s a good coach with young players and they have a lot of strength coming through.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

FYI a Feedback Thread has been opened.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058149601

Please read the Opening Post before posting.

Any opinions or thoughts in general are welcome.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/seven-all-star-nominations-for-cavan-as-dublin-lead-way-with-13-39970871.html

7 nominations for Cavan. I’d be worried with Tommy Galligan pushed into attack that he won’t get one. It’s very hard to get them in the forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Yevon wrote: »
    Very surprised to see Thomas Galligan in the forwards, he will be absolutely robbed if he doesn't get one.

Don't see how Oisin Kiernan missed out, probably only behind the two Galligans as our most impactful players this year.

Still, brilliant to see 7 lads nominated. I really hope the two Galligans get them at the very least. Anything after that would be a bonus for me and and Faulkner probably the next best bet to pick one up.

Although I wonder if nominating Galligan in the forwards and Gearoid at midfield means they could be making room for Gearoid in the final team...

Oisin Kiernan can definitely feel hard done by. I don’t think Galway’s league form warranted two players in the nominations.

Otherwise as stated, Thomas Galligan being listed as a forward does concern me. Even with all my Cavan bias I think it would be a travesty for Thomas and Ray not to make the final 15 and ideally Paudge as well.

Great to see the Holla, Gerry Smith and Martin Reilly listed. And delighted that finally Gearoid gets a well-deserved nomination after all those years. Would be brilliant to see him finally pick up an all-Star.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭rrs

I don't see Thomas Galligan being listed in the forward as much of a concern. Colm Cavanagh got an All Star as a full back when played as a midfielder. Brian Howard got one last year nominated a half forward and picked at 6
    James McCarthy nominated in midfield but played as a half back this year. Fenton and Galligan likely to be the midfielders.

The forwards will probaly be

10. Niall Scully (Dublin)

11. Ciaran Kilkenny (Dublin)

12. Con O'Callaghan (Dublin)

13. Cillian O'Connor (Mayo)

14. Dean Rock (Dublin)

15. Conor Sweeney (Tipperary)"

Maybe Galliagan has been moved to forwards as they have McCarthy and Fenton for mf and so are making sure Thomas gets one?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,496 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Some year for Cavan.
    From relative obscurity to 7 nominations for All Stars.
    Well done.

rrs wrote: »
    I don't see Thomas Galligan being listed in the forward as much of a concern. Colm Cavanagh got an All Star as a full back when played as a midfielder. Brian Howard got one last year nominated a half forward and picked at 6
    James McCarthy nominated in midfield but played as a half back this year. Fenton and Galligan likely to be the midfielders.

The forwards will probaly be

10. Niall Scully (Dublin)

11. Ciaran Kilkenny (Dublin)

12. Con O'Callaghan (Dublin)

13. Cillian O'Connor (Mayo)

14. Dean Rock (Dublin)

15. Conor Sweeney (Tipperary)"

Galligan can’t be selected at midfield now. He is listed as a forward.

Tomas O’Se picked his 15 on Radio 1 this morning and put in Ray, Holla & Thomas.

Most selections I’ve seen prior to this had Ray and Galligan, with the odd one having Faulkner.

Tomas O’Se picked his 15 on Radio 1 this morning and put in Ray, Holla & Thomas.

Most selections I’ve seen prior to this had Ray and Galligan, with the odd one having Faulkner.

Colm Cavanagh was nominated at midfield in 2018 and got one at full back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Some year for Cavan.
    Well done.

Absolutely bleeding yeh, but must be better next year

delaad wrote: »

Corofin are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Some year for Cavan.
    Well done.

He can . As I said with Cavanagh being selected at full back when he was a midfielder. And Brian Howard getting picked at Centre back when he played and nominated at wing forward

Mickey Graham saying there was no dropouts from the panel, and looking to add a few to freshen things up

Also that players that players have put their hand up to be selected for the panel, on the back of the Ulster success.

https://t.co/CRU7OrLTio?amp=1

He can . As I said with Cavanagh being selected at full back when he was a midfielder. And Brian Howard getting picked at Centre back when he played and nominated at wing forward

My mistake. Thought players could only be selected where they were in initial categories.

Cavan took 12 of the 15 Ulster All Stars this evening & Tommy Galligan got Ulster player of the year.

12 was well deserved. It must be a record with that number from 1 team.

Any news on who is replacing McCarthy in the backroom? Is Martin Corey still there?

Any news on who is replacing McCarthy in the backroom? Is Martin Corey still there?

Corey didn’t leave according to the We Are Cavan lads. No news re McCarthy’s replacement that I’ve heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

Donegal had 11 on the 2012 team. Cavan had 6 on the 97 team.

Good to see Oisin recognised as he was unlucky to miss out on All Star Nomination. I would have gave Ulster player of year to Raymond.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭celt262

Can someone post the selection please i cannot find it online for some reason.

celt262 wrote: »
    Can someone post the selection please i cannot find it online for some reason.

Raymond Galligan
    Jason Mcloughlin
    Padraig Faulkner
    Luke Fortune
    Gerry Smith
    Ciaran Brady
    Killian Clarke
    Thomas Galligan
    Hugh McFadden
    Martin Reilly
    Gearoid McKiernan
    Oisin Kiernan
    Conor Madden
    Jamie Brennan
    Conor McManus

If that's based on Championship, how is McManus in there? Yes, he scored a goal against us, but not enough for a starter for me.

If that's based on Championship, how is McManus in there? Yes, he scored a goal against us, but not enough for a starter for me.

Public vote. Mogan probably deserved one and Down at least one.

Public vote. Mogan probably deserved one and Down at least one.

I know it was a public vote, more of a rhetorical question!

I thought Mogan was superb barring the final.

Caolan Mooney was very impressive against Fermanagh and Cavan. I'd have had him in the team.

Looking at Cavan’s starting team for the coming year, you’d have to expect 13 of the starting positions are filled. The 12 lads who got Ulster All Stars and then James Smith (who would have got one but for injury).

The two positions therefore up for grabs seem to be Chris Conroy & Killian Brady - good, dedicated players but lacking it appears for the next level Cavan want to move onto.

Conor Smith & Conor Brady were both rushed back from injury to feature in games so appear to be high up in management’s expectation. Then you have Niall Murray to slot in too. Brady could feature at midfield alongside Tommy Galligan to concentrate on the defensive side of the game and then Murray/Smith placed in the forwards in Conroy’s position - Murray fit to drop back as a sweeper if ever needed because he can play anywhere.

I’m hearing some of the players who have contacted Mickey re trials in are Patrick Lynch, Caoimhin Reilly, Kevin Bouchier & O’Connell from Ramor. That said, I was also told Martin Corey had left and that was bull**** so who knows.
    Caolan Mooney was very impressive against Fermanagh and Cavan. I'd have had him in the team.

He’s a half back isn’t he? Which of the Cavan half backs would you have taken out?

Yevon wrote: »
    Hope it's true about Caoimhin Reilly, for me he's more talented and athletic than at least 3 of the forwards that played in the Championship this year. From the outside looking in, it would seem like he got a raw deal under Graham but who knows what was going on in the background.

I wonder are McVeety and Moynagh staying down under for this year too? It would be a shame (purely from a spectator point of view) if McVeety spent his prime years not playing football, he was gearing up to be one of the top forwards in the country.

Caoimhin turned down the chance to go in last year saying he was finishing college. College finished in May though and from what I’ve heard he didn’t make contact to join up then.

McVeety will be 28 this year and, from the videos /pics he’s putting up on Instagram, I can’t see him being in any rush back. He’s over in Australia on beaches where there are very few restrictions so can’t see him returning to the **** show here. He’s a teacher so you could see him come back for September. Hopefully.

Moynagh also gave an interview to The GAA Hour saying he loved the lifestyle in New Zealand and only the thoughts of missing out on football would bring him back.

Mooney played in Midfield. I'd have replaced McFadden with Mooney.

• Advertisement

Mooney played in Midfield. I'd have replaced McFadden with Mooney.

It’s hard to believe that Cavan got to the Ulster Final in 2019 and didn’t even get one...

Shaun Patton (Donegal)
    Stephen McMenamin (Donegal)
    Paddy McGrath (Donegal)
    Ronan McNamee (Tyrone)
    Ryan McHugh (Donegal)
    Eoghan Ban Gallagher (Donegal)
    Frank Burns (Tyrone)
    Michael Murphy (Donegal)
    Jarlath Og Burns (Armagh)
    Jamie Brennan (Donegal)
    Mattie Donnelly (Tyrone)
    Peter Harte (Tyrone)
    Paddy McBrearty (Donegal)
    Cathal McShane (Tyrone)
    Rian O’Neill (Armagh)

Armagh that we beat along the way got two!

Advertisement