Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,210 ✭✭✭tanko

Thanks for that, only 38 years, not just as bad as i thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

tanko wrote: »
    Thanks for that, only 38 years, not just as bad as i thought.

Unfortunately the late nineties/early noughties is all I'd remember to lad, we can't all be as old as the hills!!

My worst memory is the replay in 2005. 21 points. They absolutely destroyed us and I actually went to Clones that day thinking that was going to be our day :(

Have we any newcomers to the panel who have a chance of breaking into the starting fifteen or will be coming on as subs?

Who is this McEvoy lad?

Sounds like the new Cillian Sheridan so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭celt262

Yevon wrote: »
    Sean McEvoy from Ramor. Think he's only out of school. Was playing for Bray Wanderers, international underage soccer player. Haven't seen much of him myself but a rare athletic talent apparently.

What position does he play?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭rrs

Plays mainly as a half forward with Ramor, was a half back with Cavan Minors a few years ago.

A few went mad here last year at the talk of additions to the panel, but now is a a good time to discuss them. Paddy Lynch and Caoimhin O Reilly should give fruther options in Full forward line, but good ball winners. McGovern also, in his brief cameo against Kildare looks a good prospect. Good size and 2 footed

rrs wrote: »
    Plays mainly as a half forward with Ramor, was a half back with Cavan Minors a few years ago.

A few went mad here last year at the talk of additions to the panel, but now is a a good time to discuss them. Paddy Lynch and Caoimhin O Reilly should give fruther options in Full forward line, but good ball winners. McGovern also, in his brief cameo against Kildare looks a good prospect. Good size and 2 footed

Is Paddy Lynch definitely in? Didn’t hear any mention of him other than here.

Be interesting to see if Caoimhin O’Reilly can hold down a starting position, something he hasn’t done in the 4 years since his debut to date.

It’s great talking about all these lads who can do it at club level but intercounty is a step up and to my mind 12 of the 15 positions are filled:

R Galligan, McLoughlin, Faulkner, Fortune, Clarke, Gerry Smith, Ciaran Brady, T Galligan, James Smith, McKiernan, M Reilly, Kiernan.

And that’s without mentioning Killian Brady, Conor Brady, Madden, Conor Smith & Conroy. Conor Smith & Conor Brady are obviously highly thought of as they were both brought straight in upon return from injury last year.

Mickey did an interview with We Are Cavan and mentioned they had a panel of 39 with 8 in reserve but that they’d be cutting it to 36. Therefore some of these new additions may not make the grade for the league was my understanding.

Yea Paddy Lynch is In.Caoimhin Reilly was injured for the league in Mickey Grahams first year, came on in the Ulster final ,think that was his first appearance of the year.?
    He wasn't on panel last year, wouldn't really have had a chance under Mickey Graham to really impress

With a short League and Knockout Championship, it will be swift enough for new players to impress

Yevon wrote: »
    Caoimhin Reilly started 9 of Cavan's 11 games league and Championship in 2018 by my reckoning, so I don't think it's fair to say he couldn't nail down a starting spot. He lost his place when McGleenan implemented a sudden drastic defensive system for the Down game. Mickey obviously had reservations about him though. I've wondered if his fitness was where it should be, seen him cramp up a lot for club and county towards the end of games.

2018 was an odd year though in that we were short quite alot of players because lads had already had a year of Mattie ''Steve Kean'' McGleenan and walked. Gerry Smith, for example, has given years to the jersey at every age level, so wouldn't walk easily, and wouldn't play in 2018. There were plenty more too that we went down to Clare in the first League game with 7/8 debutants. I have to say more power to those lads because McGleenan was full of absolute sh!t.

Re Caoimhin, I'm not sure if it's fitness, more attitude from what I've heard - I don't know the lad I'll add, just going on reports. Don't get me wrong, if he's in the right place he'd definitely improve the team but he'll have to earn that spot.

The 12 definite starters for me are:

R Galligan, McLoughlin, Faulkner, Fortune, Clarke, Gerry Smith, Ciaran Brady, T Galligan, James Smith, McKiernan, M Reilly, Kiernan.

I expect the next three on the team sheet to be Madden, Conor Smith & Conor Brady to be honest.

The big hope for the likes of Caoimhin and Paddy Lynch is Smith's injury record.

• Advertisement

I see McGleenan is managing his third team since he left Cavan. He managed Armagh Harps, Carrickmacross last tear and now at his home club this year Eglish in Tyrone, club of Conor McKenna.
    It was said a good part of his sucess with Scotown was because of Colin McAree who wasn't involved with Cavan. Scotstown have a strong team anway. He got lucky landing the Cavan job.

I see McGleenan is managing his third team since he left Cavan. He managed Armagh Harps, Carrickmacross last tear and now at his home club this year Eglish in Tyrone, club of Conor McKenna.
    It was said a good part of his sucess with Scotown was because of Colin McAree who wasn't involved with Cavan. Scotstown have a strong team anway. He got lucky landing the Cavan job.

Didn't some club or county land Colin McAree at the time Cavan took McGleenan and made it clear that they had taken the successful side of the partnership? Think I remember the We Are Cavan lads on about it at the time.

McGleenan was a dreadful appointment. He actually leaves ya thinking what Banty might have done if he got the role. He couldn't have done any worse than McGleenan.

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Didn't some club or county land Colin McAree at the time Cavan took McGleenan and made it clear that they had taken the successful side of the partnership? Think I remember the We Are Cavan lads on about it at the time.

McGleenan was a dreadful appointment. He actually leaves ya thinking what Banty might have done if he got the role. He couldn't have done any worse than McGleenan.

The man was completely out of this depth.

celt262 wrote: »
    The man was completely out of this depth.

Apart from when talking sh!t. The man could sell sand to the Arabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Was there any talk of live coverage of the league games? Bursting to see some football!

No mention of the League games being streamed, yet anway, It would only be Division 1 and 2 that would be shown live on TG4 or Eir

No mention of the League games being streamed, yet anway, It would only be Division 1 and 2 that would be shown live on TG4 or Eir

There going to be on GAAGo.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,497 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I thought GAAGo could only be seen by Irish people abroad?

I thought GAAGo could only be seen by Irish people abroad?

No English people can see it aswell :)

We'll all have to move abroad so.

• Advertisement

We'll all have to move abroad so.

I will be watching in Cavan anyway.

I will be watching in Cavan anyway.

You might be able to visit another household by then 😂

All games will be shown on GAA Go. The GAA announced this a few weeks back as Galway wanted to stream their own games to bring in some revenue and were told they couldn’t.

Does GAA Go have commentary though? I don’t think it does.

I also think it can have minimal cameras at the games so the picture can be poor. I know I tried watching the Meath Kildare game on the RTE News Channel last year and the picture was desperate - pretty much one far out angle from one side of the pitch, very had to tell what player had the ball, who they were etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Heard Cavan beat Rossies in the Hyde today by a couple of points, not sure of who or who wasn't playing, a lot of scores and a lot of interchanges, both teams impressed with their fitness

cavan4sam wrote: »
    Heard Cavan beat Rossies in the Hyde today by a couple of points, not sure of who or who wasn't playing, a lot of scores and a lot of interchanges, both teams impressed with their fitness

Good to hear we’re putting it up to a team going up to Division 1, even if just in a challenge.

By the rankings on this site, we are the sixth best team in the country. We have also routinely been in at least the top twelve for the last several years.

Anything but promotion from Division 3 is a disaster.

It's the rankings based on a knockout championship.
    Dublin, Kerry, Galway,Mayo, Tyrone,Donegal are better teams then Cavan In a overall gauge

Roscommon, Cavan, Armagh, Monaghan, Cork, Down could be in any order after those teams

It's the rankings based on a knockout championship.
    Dublin, Kerry, Galway,Mayo, Tyrone,Donegal are better teams then Cavan In a overall gauge

Roscommon, Cavan, Armagh, Monaghan, Cork, Down could be in any order after those teams

The rankings are based on all performance across League and Championship accumulated.

Monaghan are an aging team no matter how much money Banty throws at them.
    Armagh seem to have internal problems - Clarke walked away and now rumours Rian O’Neill has also.
    Down have yet to prove themselves.
    Cork, other than a late win against Kerry, were disappointing last year.

Bottom line is you’ve just listed us alongside teams from Div 1 and 2 so we should not be in Division 3.

If you’re in Div 3 it’s usually because you weren’t good enough for Div 2.

Exactly was a weird statement above.

• Advertisement

Exactly was a weird statement above.

Sometimes you get anomalies. For example, Mayo being in Division 2 this year. Would you say Mayo aren’t good enough for Division 1? That all 8 teams in Division 1 are better than them?

Cork won every Division 3 game at a canter last year. Donegal easily won promotion from Division 2 in 2019. Meath, on the other hand, didn’t win a game in Division 1 last year. Were they fit for it? Obviously not.

Advertisement