Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Thunderbirds

ArielAtom wrote: »
    I’ve not posted any of the above, but you are entitled to your opinion.

You said we put it up to you. We lost by 15 points. I hoped to lose by less than 10. Imagine going into a game hoping to lose by less than 10. That's where our sport is thanks to the GAA funding one county.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Lads we were bet by a superb team. Not the time to start moaning about the advantages Dublin have. Cavan need to look at the standards they have and strive towards them.

You are about as good as you'll ever get for a county your size. Maybe another 10/15% but that's it. You'll never beat Dublin but at least you have an ulster championship to aim for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

You said we put it up to you. We lost by 15 points. I hoped to lose by less than 10. Imagine going into a game hoping to lose by less than 10. That's where our sport is thanks to the GAA funding one county.

Sorry, I see Cavan as a team with self belief l. And a group of supporters the same l. I did not intend to be be disingenuous l. I will delete every post if I ha love offended anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭rrs

Bernard Brogan tweeting it's not about finances, it's a once in a generations team. That's a bit simplistic, there is just 3 from the 2011 panel.
    The are a brilliant team with bundles of talent. Robbie Mcdaid stepping in comfortably for Jack McCaffrey.

They are playing the All Ireland U20 final before Senior. More generation players in that team like Ciaran Archer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Patronising as hell even if you weren't trying to be.

Say nothing we’re arrogant, say something it’s patronising, can’t win

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭moghrasa

EICVD wrote: »
    Aww cry me a river

Would you not be better off heading back over to the Dublin thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Thunderbirds

rrs wrote: »
    Bernard Brogan tweeting it's not about finances, it's a once in a generations team. That's a bit simplistic, there is just 3 from the 2011 panel.
    The are a brilliant team with bundles of talent. Robbie Mcdaid stepping in comfortably for Jack McCaffrey.

They are playing the All Ireland U20 final before Senior. More generation players in that team like Ciaran Archer.

He then said a couple tweets later other counties need to invest and get to Dublin’s standard. You couldn't make it up. He still can't seperate the wood from the trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Fantastic season, albeit a disappointing ending to the season. Dublin are a phenomenal outfit, their skill sets, mobility and work rate are amazing.
    There are many aspects however which we can improve on going forward:

The first touch was not good tonight, 3 times one forward I can remember the ball not sticking when given to him. 3 points came off the turnovers.

Unforced errors, kicking the ball over the sideline under no pressure, 2 points came off it.

Lads fluteing around with the ball, overplaying it,allowing themselves to get surrounded, The lads realised too late that you cannot take the ball into contact against this opposition.

The standard of ball into Thomas Galligan and Conor Madden was atrocious...Madden got little ball and Galligan got high looping ball in, which hung in the air for an eternity.

A few of our lads were out of their depth in terms of speed and athletic ability.Some of our lads just couldn't cope with them. We have closed the gap in terms of strength and conditioning with Tyrone/ Donegal, but this was another animal we were up against tonight.

There was a lot of very good play though. We kicked some terrific scores. I thought Ciaran Brady and Martin Reilly were outstanding. I really enjoyed Faulkner's battle with Con O Callaghan too

Dublin are just an absolute machine, Mayo or Tipp won't do any better than us ,against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

I think all the games in the last two months caught up with the lads today which was to be expected. After the euphoria of the Ulster final win it was always going to be very difficult to go again.
    They looked jaded and didn't have the energy of the Donegal game. Every little mistake against Dublin is punished. They fought to the end which deserves praise.
    Fair play to the players and management for all the enjoyment they've given us this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Hammar wrote: »
    Fantastic season, albeit a disappointing ending to the season. Dublin are a phenomenal outfit, their skill sets, mobility and work rate are amazing.
    There are many aspects however which we can improve on going forward:

The first touch was not good tonight, 3 times one forward I can remember the ball not sticking when given to him. 3 points came off the turnovers.

Unforced errors, kicking the ball over the sideline under no pressure, 2 points came off it.

Lads fluteing around with the ball, overplaying it,allowing themselves to get surrounded, The lads realised too late that you cannot take the ball into contact against this opposition.

The standard of ball into Thomas Galligan and Conor Madden was atrocious...Madden got little ball and Galligan got high looping ball in, which hung in the air for an eternity.

A few of our lads were out of their depth in terms of speed and athletic ability.Some of our lads just couldn't cope with them. We have closed the gap in terms of strength and conditioning with Tyrone/ Donegal, but this was another animal we were up against tonight.

There was a lot of very good play though. We kicked some terrific scores. I thought Ciaran Brady and Martin Reilly were outstanding. I really enjoyed Faulkner's battle with Con O Callaghan too

Dublin are just an absolute machine, Mayo or Tipp won't do any better than us ,against them.

In fairness Andre Quinn is only in place two years this month so you’d have to hope his good work will continue. It’s also great to see young players like Oisin Brady & Caoimhin McGovern going into the panel to get this S&C work from a very young age.

I see no reason that this year can’t be a breakthrough year for Cavan and we move forward to competing consistently with the top teams.

• Advertisement

Promotion from Division 3 would have to be priority going into 21,and then focus on championship. Its been said Mickey Graham puts more emphasis into championship, and it'ds obviously where you're judged.
    But to compete with top teams regular, Cavan will have to get back up to at least Division 2.

Cavan would be one of the favourites to go up with Tipp and Derry. Some of these teams will be looking to raise their game against Cavan after winning Ulster.
    Tipperary only beat Limerick after extra time in Munster, they'll be competitive. Longford always a battle and
    Fermanagh.

Promotion from Division 3 would have to be priority going into 21,and then focus on championship. Its been said Mickey Graham puts more emphasis into championship, and it'ds obviously where you're judged.
    But to compete with top teams regular, Cavan will have to get back up to at least Division 2.

Cavan would be one of the favourites to go up with Tipp and Derry. Some of these teams will be looking to raise their game against Cavan after winning Ulster.
    Tipperary only beat Limerick after extra time in Munster, they'll be competitive. Longford always a battle and
    Fermanagh.

It looks though like the League may be split into two based on geography which leaves us in a four team division with Derry, Fermanagh and Longford.

Just rewatching the game. We were in it until 40 minutes in, that ten minute period at the start of the second half was key. We kicked two poor wides from James & Conor Smith, Dublin had two goals chances (Faulkner managing to get back for one & Martin Reilly deflecting the other over the bar) and before we knew it, and Madden got a point, it had gone from 12-7 to 16-8.

I still think we'll learn alot from that game and Mickey Graham immediately afterwards said it was a learning curve. The lads upped the performance in terms of strength, conditioning and workrate this year but I think they saw last night there's another level they need to go up.

Ah yeah I forgot about that. The GAA still not decided if will be Club or County first for next year. Meeting in next few to make final decision

Yes was around 40 minutes, a similar pattern to how Dublin pulled away from teams in Leinster over the years.
    They always seemed liked they could go up a gear if they wanted.

Workrate is top class, and you can't bring ball into contact against them.

Yevon wrote: »
    If they do a Divisional League will there still be promotion?
    I know Mickey likes to focus on Championship but I think to raise the standards and keep them high and keep competing you need to be a Division 1 or 2 team.

I would love to see us add a league title next year and give these players another bit of silverware. Success breeds success.

Yes, I think the plan is 3 games, then semi finals and a final for promotion. Relegation play offs also so each team would get at least 4 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭piplip87

I'd gladly sacrifice the league every year to blood young fellas in. Theres far too much emphasis on the league. If you think about it Cavan under Mickey have lost one Ulster Championship game in two years. Relegated twice in that period. I'd know what I'd prefer.

Adding to the panel, Retaining Ulster and getting through the Super 8s should be the priority in 2021.

Looking forward, and with all due respect to the other teams in the proposed Division 3 North, even trying out a couple of new players per game, we should be winning all the games as we are a better team than the others.

We gave a very good account of ourselves for the first 40 minutes last night.
    Monaghan have been very consistent over the last decade, and they got beaten 2-22 0-11 the first time they played the dubs in a quarter final. It's a learning process, we need to be getting to the Super 8's and playing the Dubs most years.

Super 8s is not happening next year going by the reports. It was brought in for 3 year trial, didn't add much , dead rubber games in the 3rd game was a bit ridiculous,. When it's suppose to be business end of championship

Super 8s is not happening next year going by the reports. It was brought in for 3 year trial, didn't add much , dead rubber games in the 3rd game was a bit ridiculous,. When it's suppose to be business end of championship

Didn't know that,cheers.
    A Division 3 league title and a quarter final is a very realistic target I'd say.

Do the two need to be mutually exclusive though? I dont think its impossible to challenge for Division 2 titles without peaking. We probably won't be at a level to survive Division 1 without a full panel in top form but I think we can do Division 2.

I wonder will any of those minor lads be called up. The full back and centre back looked very athletic and as well conditioned as some of the younger lads on the senior panel at the moment.

Andre Quinn has been very open about saying if an 18 year old can play interprovincial rugby, they should be able to play intercounty football.

If Mickey thinks they are good enough, they’ll be called in.

Cavan_King wrote: »
      Andre Quinn has been very open about saying if an 18 year old can play interprovincial rugby, they should be able to play intercounty football.

If Mickey thinks they are good enough, they’ll be called in.

Caoimhin McGovern looked very capable when he came on against Kildare and kicked two great scores ( even though he was actually ineligible to play this year)
      Quinn has done a great job so far... We were trailing the Tyrone's and Donegal for years in terms of strength and conditioning, he's closed that gap...Dublin are even further ahead, it's going to take time to get there. I just hope we don't see an exodus from the panel like we've seen in years gone past.

1. Advertisement
    2. Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭rrs

Is that the Minor U17 team from this year? They are not likely to be eligible if McGovern wasn't to play this year.
      Players who turned 18 can't play County Senior in that calendar year

Peter Donnelly back with Tyrone as S/C coach after 1 year with Monaghan. Strange that he left for Monaghan or might have been conflict with MH.

3. Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Peter Donnelly back with Tyrone as S/C coach after 1 year with Monaghan. Strange that he left for Monaghan or might have been conflict with MH.

I'm wondering is Donnelly as good as billed. I know the U21 lads spoke highly of him but I've heard Mickey Graham say more than once that when Andre Quinn arrived he was asking what lads had been doing. That seems a shocking indictment of the previous regime.

Very quiet here after the loss last week. I thought there'd be more of a buzz. Its good to hear the Padraig Faulkner interview where he said lads were hurting and gutted after the Dublin result. That wouldn't have been the reaction of Cavan teams of old.

4. Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭celt262

Mickey keeps saying that teams are x amount of years ahead of us in terms of conditioning. It will be interesting to see how this develops over time, will we be hearing the same thing in 5 years time. I suppose we will see it most clearly at Minor and U20 level and the conditioning of the new lads who progress to Senior from those levels. The minors this year had a few players who stood out physically so hopefully that will continue.

We'll miss the McKenna cup this year. The weeks of hearing rumours about who's on the panel, the new players who are at peak fitness in early January, the more experienced lads still sweating out the turkey, a good performance from some youngster who will be hailed as the messiah, the inevitability of Tyrone lifting the cup...

On the conditioning Stephen poacher was saying that Cavan were on of the strongest and biggest teams in the country. Lads on BBC were saying similar.

5. Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭treade1

Now that the dust has settled I just want to see well done to the Cavan Team for a fantastic Ulster Championship campaign that will forever live in the memory and who over time will become legendary.

I can honestly say I expected us to go out in the preliminary round to Monaghan and thought that we had missed the boat with respect to converting U21 success into senior success. There was alot of heartache along the way. The 2013 Ulster semifinal loss to Monaghan and the 2016 semi-final draw with Tyrone followed by a hammering were particularly painful, not to mention last years defeats to Donegal and Tyrone. Along the way we had the joy of promotion to Division 1 on two occasions but tempered with the loss of 3 league finals in Croke Park to Roscommon (twice) and Tyrone (once). There were of course the 2 campaigns in Division 1 where we were competitive but ultimately fell short. Fair play to the likes of Martin Reilly & Gearoid McKiernan who stuck with it.

And just as memory of all that Future is Blue c**p begins to fade, the team come of age and refuse to lose.

Well done lads - 2020 was Blue in more ways than one!

6. Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Mickey keeps saying that teams are x amount of years ahead of us in terms of conditioning. It will be interesting to see how this develops over time, will we be hearing the same thing in 5 years time. I suppose we will see it most clearly at Minor and U20 level and the conditioning of the new lads who progress to Senior from those levels. The minors this year had a few players who stood out physically so hopefully that will continue.

We'll miss the McKenna cup this year. The weeks of hearing rumours about who's on the panel, the new players who are at peak fitness in early January, the more experienced lads still sweating out the turkey, a good performance from some youngster who will be hailed as the messiah, the inevitability of Tyrone lifting the cup...

I don’t think we will be but him saying that certainly raised questions because there are a group of players there that are 24+ and they certainly shouldn’t have been that far behind.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/1211/1183877-july-football-final-due-as-county-first-season-backed/?fbclid=IwAR03VrefRgwt41Vrq_JEZbZeaOFbg5lShTziro92okuSvrhRC1O7QMxeOik

It looks like county is going first before club next year so the lads will be straight back into it start of January. Hopefully that means they are mad to go at it and not jaded.

I know Division 3 has some decent teams in it but we have to be getting promoted from it if we are serious about contending over the next few years. If the players are as sick of Cavan being dismissed as a Division 3 team as I am, they’ll certainly have plenty of drive for promotion.

7. Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭rrs

Cavan_King wrote: »
      I'm wondering is Donnelly as good as billed. I know the U21 lads spoke highly of him but I've heard Mickey Graham say more than once that when Andre Quinn arrived he was asking what lads had been doing. That seems a shocking indictment of the previous regime.

Very quiet here after the loss last week. I thought there'd be more of a buzz. Its good to hear the Padraig Faulkner interview where he said lads were hurting and gutted after the Dublin result. That wouldn't have been the reaction of Cavan teams of old.

In fairness Peter Donnelly left Cavan at the end of 2014. The problem was in between that time and Andre Quinn being appointed. Quinn is in his second year.
      Tyrone won All Ireland U21in 2015 in Donnellys first year back.

Donnelly is S/C coach with the Ulster Rugby academy as well, well regarded.

8. Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭rrs

Maguire was the S/C coach with Crosserlough this year. They were inwere in great shape.
      Donnelly had a more broader role, he was involved with Schools, development Squads. He was with Cavan from 2008,so a lot of players would have worked under him

Probaly getting use to different coaches takes time. Quinn employed full time by Cavan County board.

9. Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Damien Donohoe got the U20 job. Opinions? To be honest, I’m a bit surprised as surely it has to compromise his role on the podcast. I did notice, particularly during the club championship, that he and Paul Fitz went to great lengths not to criticise referees and now it’s easy to see why.

I also think there would be more experienced club managers in the county. I don’t think Kevin McDonnell has a club for example.

10. Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭quidel

Difficult enough circumstances for any new manager to be taking over the u20 role under these COVID restrictions granted.

11. Advertisement
    12. Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Disappointing to hear that both Martin Corry & Daragh McCarthy have left their positions with Cavan. Daragh had been in for the U20 job I understand so not sure if that was a factor.

Advertisement