Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Up Cavan. From the Abbey to the Bent Elbow , to Georgies to St Pats, Up the boys , up Floods taxis and up the Kilmore.

Up Killakeen and Deraheen , up Arva and up the Lakes. Up the Ulster Champions make no mistakes. Up for Sam cus we can.

Up Cabhan , Cabhan agus An Breffní Abú

a1000_cavan-cola.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Yevon wrote: »
    Ah let's not get overly precious with this 'respect the lads that are there' thing. County panels change. Mickey will at some point call up other players and give them their shot if they want it. We can discuss who those lads might be and say that they will be keener now that they would be coming onto an Ulster winning side. There's nothing disrespectful or unsupportive about it.

I agree county panels change but now is not the time I wouldn’t feel to be discussing lads who were asked in and said no. As I’ve pointed out before, Mickey Graham and others have continually said this is a group with great spirit who, more importantly, WANT to play for Cavan.

I’d certainly see it as a negative tick against any player that they refused to join the panel until Cavan won something. Not to mention, some clubs. It’s easy to tell from the panel clubs where there is a positive view of the intercounty setup - Killygarry, the Gaels, Lavey, Gowna - and clubs where there is obviously not - I don’t think I need to name them for anyone. The Gaels used to get plenty of criticism back in the noughties that their players thought they were too good for Cavan so I’m not sure why that narrative hasn’t followed over to other teams now.

I’d also stress what the poster after you has said, and the boys on We Are Cavan have mentioned, we always seem to be looking ahead of ourselves in Cavan - we’re in an All Ireland semi final for the first time in 23 years. Let’s enjoy that.

At the minute, there are an awful lot of variables with the future.
    IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Up Cavan. From the Abbey to the Bent Elbow , to Georgies to St Pats, Up the boys , up Floods taxis and up the Kilmore.

Up Killakeen and Deraheen , up Arva and up the Lakes. Up the Ulster Champions make no mistakes. Up for Sam cus we can.

Up Cabhan , Cabhan agus An Breffní Abú

a1000_cavan-cola.jpg

You’ll be a while waiting for a pint in The Bent Elbow!

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Thunderbirds

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Fook me, only in Cavan could we have 41 players committed to Cavan football win an Ulster championship and supporters are still talking about lads not on the panel! It’s beyond ridiculous.

These lads have worked unbelievably bad and deserve our respect and support.

Believe it or not them lads weren't asked.

Believe it or not them lads weren't asked.

To be honest, I don’t really care. I had my reservations about the management team following the League but those are now most definitely gone.

The management team have selected a panel that they’re happy with. They’ve delivered results. I don’t agree with some members of the panel but, at the same time, I don’t know the reasoning etc. why others aren’t there and I don’t really care at this point.

It’s amazing how the narrative changes though. One person told me a player from their club wouldn’t go in to the setup last November because the training was too much and they told Mickey they’d train from January after a break. Mickey apparently said no and that was that. The player was more than happy to exit the setup. This was during a discussion said person I met had started re the standards being too high and alienating players.

I met the same person this week and mentioned the aforementioned player was unfortunate and the reply I got was the poor lad had been told he wasn’t wanted by Mickey. I turned round and said, I thought you told me six months ago they didn’t want to train in Nov/Dec! The person gave a puzzled look and said “oh yeah, but that was only because their club season went on so long!”.

Now, both versions could be complete and utter bull but it just shows ya how even one story is twisted to suit the situation!

I have absolutely no clue who was asked in and wouldn't go, so I'm certainly not intentionally discussing lads who said no. I would say though that you lads shouldn't be blackened for saying no to the county at any stage.

People also have the ability to both enjoy the build up to the Semi Final and talk about what might happen next year in the league.

I watched back the 2014 U21 Semi Final this week. A game I always avoided rewatching because it was such a heartbreaking loss! That day the Cavan players did exactly what they didn't do last Sunday. They got to the closing stages with a lead and decided to protect what they had instead of doing what got them to that point in the first place.

Depends on the reasoning tbh. I know of one player I was told by a club man of his said he didn’t go in because his club mates had a trip to the UK planned and he wanted to go on it. The excuse he apparently peddled officially was college exams. College ended back in May though and he finished it and I think it’s widely known he hasn’t lifted the phone since!

No problem with discussing the League but I don’t think that automatically means we should again be discussing new players. You’d have to hope this win will be the end of the huge player turnover that has blighted Cavan football for years. I’m more worried about holding on to what we have rather than gaining others. The starting team last weekend and immediate subs were very good and, unlike yourself, I do see improvement in the younger forwards in there so there’s a lot to be cheerful about with the present 40 lads.

Yes, I’ve said myself, there are lads there I wouldn’t see as intercounty players but sometimes it’s just about having lads who add something as simple as the correct attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭rrs

I see no problem with discussing potential players. Yes it's better to focus on Dublin, and I already discussed the match. Regardless you still look to improve from each year. Its likely Kerry and Donegal will look to add to their panels.

I think this time last year Cavan were having trouble getting a panel together for different reasons. A year on its probably more attractive to play with Cavan. They are in Division 3, but Ulster Champions. That doesn't mean the door should be closed on potential players.

Niall McDermott was excellent in the Club Championship also and would be another who could add to the panel.

Coemac Costello cleared to play Dublin.. Not many appeals Dublin lose.

rrs wrote: »
    Niall McDermott was excellent in the Club Championship also and would be another who could add to the panel.

It’s common knowledge around the county, I thought anyway, that he was asked in after the intermediate final and said no. That’s what many people have told me, including people I would be 100% confident would know.

Anyway, back onto the game next week. Interesting listening to the Examiner podcast. I’d rate McConville as a pundit and tactician and he reckons the key to Dublin is McCarthy and his energy. He reckons Meath’s problem was that they allowed McCarthy too much time and space and McConville reckons he’d put a man marker on him.

To be honest, as someone else alluded to, the Dubs just have too many fires to try and put out around the place - McCarthy, Fenton, Kilkenny, O’Callaghan & Rock.

The only redeeming factor is that people seem to be ignoring just how tactically inept and generally lacking in quality Meath were on the evening. They got everything wrong and, while they are better than that showing, I have always said Cavan are a better team than them.

The only issue I can see is the occasion and Croke Park getting to our lads but you would have to hope they are mature enough to bypass that now.

Yes, but going forward McDermott might want to give it a go. Some players in other Counties opted out because of Covid, Mickey Quinn in Longford.
    Joe Dillon was asked in and was willing to play, but got injured with Kingscourt.

He had a good game in 2014 against Dublin U21s. Hayes was decent that day too, playing with Ballyboden now, but used mostly as a sub.

Meath showed in the early stages of the Dublin game running direct can cause trouble in Dublin defence. They created a few goals chances but weren't clinical.
    Cavan have a better keeper then Meath and midfield, shouldn't lose possession as easily from our own kickouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Isn’t it just bliss to see the amount of colour going up around the county. What usually is a bleak time of year, this year had the potential to be even moreso, these lads have been a streak of brilliance. Virginia in particular looks fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Ciaran Branigan ref on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 51,497 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

cavan4sam wrote: »
    Ciaran Branigan ref on Saturday

Another who gives nothing to Cavan.

I’m surprised it’s an Ulster referee.

Cavan_King wrote: »
    I’m surprised it’s an Ulster referee.

Probably worst ref in Ireland that Cavan could have got.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Lads if it was joe mcquillan in the middle on Saturday evening some of ye still wouldn't be happy. (Dublin joe) 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

Probably worst ref in Ireland that Cavan could have got.

I was expecting it to be Barry Cassidy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

& that’s what it’s gonna come down to....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭celt262

tanko wrote: »
    I was expecting it to be Barry Cassidy!!

I think I would prefer Cassidy.

It might surprise you to know that some teams worry about referees who have been unfavourable to them in the past. But Dublin can pay the refs to do in house games to ensure they get the good decisions should they ever need them so it wouldn't be a concern for them. Just one more way financial doping has helped Dublin.

He has also been awful to Cavan clubs in Ulster. It's bad when you're not happy with an Ulster referee.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭mylestheslasher

In 2014 Cavan and Dublin played in an U21 All Ireland semi final. Dublin win 0-11 to 0-10, helped in no small way by an atrocious display by Derek O Mahoney the referee.

The teams on display that day are very interesting...

Dublin: L Molloy, R McGowan, D Byrne, R McDaid, J Small, J McCaffrey, B Fenton. P O’Higgins, E Lowndes, N Scully, S Boland, N Walsh, C McHugh, P Mannion, C Costello.
    Substitutes: E O Conghaile  for O’Higgins, G Burke for Walsh, G Ivory for Boland, Shane Cunningham for Scully.

Cavan: J Farrelly, A Watson, K Clarke, B Fortune, C Brady, P Faulkner, G Smith, CP Moynagh, L Buchanan, P Graham, D McVeety, M Argue, E Flanagan, J Dillon, T Hayes.
    Substitutes: A O’Hara for Moynagh, Boucher for Dillion, Moynagh for Fortune, C Byrne for Flanagan, E Hession for Graham, G McGovern for Buchanan.

The Dublin team which beat Meath contained 8 of those players ... Byrne, small, McCaffrey, fenton, lowndes, scully, mannion and costello

The cavan panel against Donegal contained 6 players...Clarke, Brady, Faulkner, Smith, Graham and Buchanan

Its amazing 6 years later Dublin are considered 1/50 to win another semi final!

• Advertisement

Dublin U21s were missing Ciaran Kilkenny that year through cruciate, would have been 9 players.

A good chunk came from that team for sure.
    Dessie Farrell was the manager, managed them at Minor also when Tipperary beat them with last minute goal in 2011

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭Jizique

In 2014 Cavan and Dublin played in an U21 All Ireland semi final. Dublin win 0-11 to 0-10, helped in no small way by an atrocious display by Derek O Mahoney the referee.

The teams on display that day are very interesting...

Dublin: L Molloy, R McGowan, D Byrne, R McDaid, J Small, J McCaffrey, B Fenton. P O’Higgins, E Lowndes, N Scully, S Boland, N Walsh, C McHugh, P Mannion, C Costello.
    Substitutes: E O Conghaile  for O’Higgins, G Burke for Walsh, G Ivory for Boland, Shane Cunningham for Scully.

Cavan: J Farrelly, A Watson, K Clarke, B Fortune, C Brady, P Faulkner, G Smith, CP Moynagh, L Buchanan, P Graham, D McVeety, M Argue, E Flanagan, J Dillon, T Hayes.
    Substitutes: A O’Hara for Moynagh, Boucher for Dillion, Moynagh for Fortune, C Byrne for Flanagan, E Hession for Graham, G McGovern for Buchanan.

The Dublin team which beat Meath contained 8 of those players ... Byrne, small, McCaffrey, fenton, lowndes, scully, mannion and costello

The cavan panel against Donegal contained 6 players...Clarke, Brady, Faulkner, Smith, Graham and Buchanan

Its amazing 6 years later Dublin are considered 1/50 to win another semi final!

McCaffrey not playing this year; McDaid is however

I always felt Cavan were more to blame for losing that game than the ref. I remember we got a score to go 2 or 3 ahead with about 5 minutes left to play and you could just see the Cavan lads realise we were almost there and try to run down the clock. Joe Dillon got a stupid black card down in his own full forward line. Barry Fortune pulled down a Dublin player in the middle of the field to stop an attack. And it was all far too early.
    Then Moynagh tried to be too cute and pulled down his man along with him and the ref spotted it. The ref pulled back for the free after giving an advantage to Dublin which was probably an ok decision but people went mental. Costello kicked one outrageous free from over near the stand. If we had kept playing positive football we would have won the game I felt. There was too much emphasis on being cute in those final few minutes and it bit us in the arse. It was much easier to blame the ref during the heartbreak that followed than look at what we did wrong.

Don't know about that! Dillons black was early in 1st half and was a ridiculous decision. Cavan had a free in front of the posts at one stage, ref played advantage and cavan ended up working the ball backwards to the half way line and never got the free and the winning foul against Moynagh was exceptionally harsh and the advantage completely at odds to the cavan incident in 1st half. I also think we were juiced in the last 10 mins such was the effort put in. Thats my recollection of it.

Ah yeah i'm not excusing everything the ref did but I just remember everyone making it out to be a stone cold robbery and I don't think it was. Fair point about the energy expended.
    That team was definitely the pick of the lot 4 in a row. 13 of those Cavan lads played Senior Football for Cavan. I hope the disappointment that day is still a sore point for those lads to draw on for Saturday.

One thing they should take to heart, just like against Donegal, is that we were a match for that team 6 years ago and they should take belief from that. I'm surprised no media have picked up on that game giving the amount of players in it that will feature this Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Ah yeah i'm not excusing everything the ref did but I just remember everyone making it out to be a stone cold robbery and I don't think it was. Fair point about the energy expended.
    That team was definitely the pick of the lot 4 in a row. 13 of those Cavan lads played Senior Football for Cavan. I hope the disappointment that day is still a sore point for those lads to draw on for Saturday.

From memory, should McCaffery not have been blacked carded for an obvious drag down, worse than Dillon’s? Fairly certain he was instrumental in some of the final scores, to add insult to injury.

I thought the Cavan approach that day went too defensive. In the first half Hayes and Dillon were paying well inside, and were winning most of the ball that went in.
    The second half Cavan were very laboured seemed to lack ideas. I know it was a 1pt Defeat, but Dublin missed 2 or 3 goal chances too.

The ref was poor too,

From memory, should McCaffery not have been blacked carded for an obvious drag down, worse than Dillon’s? Fairly certain he was instrumental in some of the final scores, to add insult to injury.

No, that was Costello, who went on to kick two or three more scores after I think. He was that sure he was getting a black card he started walking towards the sideline and was surprised as anyone when the ref showed a yellow. It was a blatant black card.

I thought the Cavan approach that day went too defensive. In the first half Hayes and Dillon were paying well inside, and were winning most of the ball that went in.
    The second half Cavan were very laboured seemed to lack ideas. I know it was a 1pt Defeat, but Dublin missed 2 or 3 goal chances too.

The ref was poor too,

Thats what some commentators said but I think that's totally wrong and cavans tactics that day were perfect. Roscommon decided to go man to man in the final. They were 0-14 to 0-1 down at half time, game over. For me that Dublin u21 team was possibly the best ever u21 team and bar skme horrific referree decisions we should have bet them.

Roscommon were naive, but they never played defensive football . Cavans gameplan was based on defensive football, throughout the Ulster campaign and into Dublin.

I think if they had a little more belief they could have went for it. Tipperary beat that Dublin team in Minor final in 2011 with more confidence in their attack

The Cavan tactics changed in the second half it was more later passing, when in first half direct ball into full forward line

• Advertisement

Roscommon were naive, but they never played defensive football . Cavans gameplan was based on defensive football, throughout the Ulster campaign and into Dublin.

I think if they had a little more belief they could have went for it. Tipperary beat that Dublin team in Minor final in 2011 with more confidence in their attack

The Cavan tactics changed in the second half it was more later passing, when in first half direct ball into full forward line

Did that Tipp team not have forwards like Quinlivan and Sweeney though?

The Dubs apparently have a clean bill of health ahead of the weekend. Has there been anything definitive confirmed re Bernard Flynn's tweet that he heard McCaffrey was back training?

Advertisement