Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭rrs

Cavan weren't good enough in Division 2 last year. A really lame performance against Roscommon in a game they needed to win was their doing. But losing earlier games at home to Clare was very poor also.

Cavan are not the 6th best team in the Country. Yes they won the Provincial but it was one big performance in the final. The games leading up to then they were well behind against Monaghan, Down. Heroic comebacks won't always happen.

Hopefully this year their is more consistent performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

rrs wrote: »
    Cavan weren't good enough in Division 2 last year. A really lame performance against Roscommon in a game they needed to win was their doing. But losing earlier games at home to Clare was very poor also.

Cavan are not the 6th best team in the Country. Yes they won the Provincial but it was one big performance in the final. The games leading up to then they were well behind against Monaghan, Down. Heroic comebacks won't always happen.

Hopefully this year their is more consistent performances.

I would agree they aren’t the 6th best team in the country. That is where the rankings have them though. I certainly wouldn’t see us as not being in the top 16 teams.

The last two League games were difficult because of the Covid situation in the county and the squad.

Losing to Clare at home got us relegated and there can be no excuse for it - you have to win that game. I can only think the performance was so bad because of complacency after three wins against Westmeath, Laois & Fermanagh.

I think it was worse with Roscommon Squad though. They were hit with a lot of withdrawals the week of the Cavan game.

Anyway hopefully Cavan get a result in Enniskillen. Fermanagh seem to have lost a lot of players since last year, so its a chance for a victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

I think it was worse with Roscommon Squad though. They were hit with a lot of withdrawals the week of the Cavan game.

Anyway hopefully Cavan get a result in Enniskillen. Fermanagh seem to have lost a lot of players since last year, so its a chance for a victory.

We looked so flat and leggy against the Rossies that it was clear that the focus was on the Monaghan game. If we hadn't have won the latter, serious questions would have been asked, but clearly it paid dividends. :D

The Clare game was the one though. We had momentum after a calamitous 8 months. Shellacking against Donegal putting us back in our box. Traditional hammering by Tyrone. Mackey retiring, McVeety Moynagh & Clarke stepping away. Back to back hidings in the McKenna cup from Armagh and Tyrone and a shellacking in the opening league game- with Smith and Madden getting injured. What were we, 5 points down and looking like a walking disaster against a poor Westmeath team?

Then Galligan, Stephen Murray and Pierson came on and from that we looked a team. We were ridiculously over confident against Clare and if we had played with our heads in the first half we would have won that game. As it was we chased against the wind and left ourselves with another mountain to climb (and almost did).

As for county rankings, I couldn't give a fiddlers. We're Ulster champions. End of.

I agree the focus probably was on Monaghan. Though I doubt they planned to be 7pts down, . Cavan made a great fightback with the wind, though Banty and Monaghan were heavily critisiced for just sitting back for the full second half. It just invited Cavan on .

It was said by some Donegal done heavy training the week of the Ulster final, in preparation for Dublin .But it was the best Cavan performance in a long time.

Cavan should be aiming to play against the top teams regularly, shouldn't have neglected the League.

• Advertisement

Cavan should be aiming to play against the top teams regularly, shouldn't have neglected the League.

It's not an either or, but i know which i would prefer- division 2 status or an Ulster title. We got promoted to division 1 in 2018 and got annihilated by Donegal in Ulster that year. I know which i would have preferred see.

Mickey Graham was very honest when he came in and said Ulster was his priority and with back to back final appearances he proved true to his word.

It worked out well for Graham, but having successive relegations was disappointing.
    It helped that the Championship was played through the winter months.

When Donegal trounced Cavan the year before it was a firm ground in July

Tyrone this year in July will show where Cavan are at. bit it's s challenge they should embrace.
    Tyrone have to be knocked off their perch.

Its not a bad draw for the U20s, but Down have assembled a strong management team. Conor Laverty, Martin Clarke, Sean Boylan.

It's in Breffni so that's a help. Down U20s beat Cavan in Breffni when John Brady was manager. Maybe Damien Donahoe will get the result.

At least they have a schedule and return to play date.

I agree the focus probably was on Monaghan. Though I doubt they planned to be 7pts down, . Cavan made a great fightback with the wind, though Banty and Monaghan were heavily critisiced for just sitting back for the full second half. It just invited Cavan on .

You’re very negative. I’m usually glass half full and like to be realistic but I wouldn’t be as negative as you.

Monaghan had that wind in the first. It didn’t just appear second half. A friend of mine plays down in there and heard Monaghan sat back because they didn’t want to carry the ball into the tackle with Cavan. They knew the Cavan team were very well conditioned.

As others have pointed out, Mickey always said League is League and Championship is championship. I firmly believe in 2019 we could have beaten Monaghan in the League in Clones and stayed up but he didn’t want to show his hand.

2 Ulster Finals and a win when we hadn’t even made a final since 2001 shows he and the team are delivering where he feels it counts.

Cavan_King wrote: »
    You’re very negative. I’m usually glass half full and like to be realistic but I wouldn’t be as negative as you.

Monaghan had that wind in the first. It didn’t just appear second half. A friend of mine plays down in there and heard Monaghan sat back because they didn’t want to carry the ball into the tackle with Cavan. They knew the Cavan team were very well conditioned.

As others have pointed out, Mickey always said League is League and Championship is championship. I firmly believe in 2019 we could have beaten Monaghan in the League in Clones and stayed up but he didn’t want to show his hand.

2 Ulster Finals and a win when we hadn’t even made a final since 2001 shows he and the team are delivering where he feels it counts.

What are you talking about?. I said Monaghan were playing with the wind in first half, while Cavan were playing with it in second half. There was a wind. The players even referenced it afterwards.

Peter Donnelly was with Monoaghan so no reason they weren't conditoned too.

And its just being realtisic. Good for you that's your so positive, somebody having a different opinion and you just say its negative.

• Advertisement

What are you talking about?. I said Monaghan were playing with the wind in first half, while Cavan were playing with it in second half. There was a wind. The players even referenced it afterwards.

Peter Donnelly was with Monoaghan so no reason they weren't conditoned too.

And its just being realtisic. Good for you that's your so positive, somebody having a different opinion and you just say its negative.

No mention of Monaghan and the wind in your post. You said Cavan made a great fightback “with the wind”. Why did you even need to mention the wind? I didn’t say there was none, just found it odd as I say above that you felt the need to mention it.

Donnelly was only with Monaghan a few months at that stage.

No problem with a different opinion but your point was mainly downplaying Cavan’s wins as being heavily influenced by external factors - the “wind”, Banty’s poor management & Donegal training too hard. Hopefully we get those type of items in our favour again this year 😆

Cavan were the only team in the championship last year to beat two Division 1 teams so a bit of credit would be good.

Because it was a big factor thats why i mentioned it. I should have said Monaghan had the wind too,but didn't think that needed to be explained. As the wind didn't suddenly appear in second half

Are you a teacher, or why highlight every comment like you're the boss of the board? And i credited the team after the Ulster final, so give it a rest.

Because it was a big factor thats why i mentioned it. I should have said Monaghan had the wind too,but didn't think that needed to be explained. As the wind didn't suddenly appear in second half

Are you a teacher, or why highlight every comment like you're the boss of the board? And i credited the team after the Ulster final, so give it a rest.

Still not understanding you. The “big factor” wind in the second half would have been the same wind Monaghan had in the first? Again, I don’t see why it needed to be mentioned when commenting on the comeback.

We also had the wind in the second half against Down. What factors would you blame for their downfall? Perhaps a bird flew over the dugout and took a **** and the smell set their bench into a fury.
    Or maybe they were training hard with this years Ulster championship in mind.

I’m not highlighting every comment. Just yours which seems to state every external factor imaginable was responsible for Cavan winning Ulster!

Good man giving credit six months ago. Suppose none is still due now before the team even kicks a competitive ball again.

Cavan knew the wind was obviously worth a few points in the second half, which it was. Thomas Galligan said said they could get control with the win

But Monaghan also played into their hands by just sitting back. And it helped Cavan push on. They were lateral passing for most of the second half, whatever about your "mate" saying they knew Cavan were conditioned they never looked like going anywhere. Sending 40 yards passed back to Beggan.

As I said give it a rest..

Meath have come out and named a 40 man panel. I wonder will Mickey follow suit. Last year the We Are Cavan lads were pushing for it and he said he’d prefer not to as there could be additions, lads injured, leaving etc.

Anyone heard any recent additions? Players leaving the panel?

Mickey Graham In the Celt saying a few players carrying knocks, presume from the challenge game last weekend.

It doesn't say who they are other t,hen Liam Brady who will be out for a good while.
    It will probably be there tried and trusted for the most part.

its a short League so can't really afford a slip up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

Surely there will be someone better than Gunner to start in defence this year, his lack of pace is alarming and temperament is suspect to put it mildly.

I can’t see anyone apart from Faulkner at full back.

tanko wrote: »
    Surely there will be someone better than Gunner to start in defence this year, his lack of pace is alarming and temperament is suspect to put it mildly.

I can’t see anyone apart from Faulkner at full back.

I have to agree to be honest. I appreciate Gunner’s effort and the commitment he has but he’s a limited player. He was badly shown up in the wide open spaces of Croke Park.

I also can’t see James Smith & Galligan at midfield as we need a defensive minded player there.

I would expect the starting 15 to be something along the lines of...

Galligan
    Fortune
    Faulkner
    McLouglin
    Holla Brady
    Clarke
    G. Smith
    Conor Brady
    Thomas Galligan
    Kiernan
    James Smith
    Gearoid
    Conor Smith
    Madden
    M Reilly

Galligan to float into full forward at times and J Smith could go out to midfield.

Yevon wrote: »
    Killian is well worth his place in most games, provides a work rate and toughness that others don't. He's been shown up a few times in one on ones but that's can happen with defenders. There's several lads that started for Cavan last year that I'd like to see benched before Gunner.

Like who? I see him as a bit of a poor man’s Mossy Corr.

I have to agree to be honest. I appreciate Gunner’s effort and the commitment he has but he’s a limited player. He was badly shown up in the wide open spaces of Croke Park.

I also can’t see James Smith & Galligan at midfield as we need a defensive minded player there.

I would expect the starting 15 to be something along the lines of...

Galligan
    Fortune
    Faulkner
    McLouglin
    Holla Brady
    Clarke
    G. Smith
    Conor Brady
    Thomas Galligan
    Kiernan
    James Smith
    Gearoid
    Conor Smith
    Madden
    M Reilly

Galligan to float into full forward at times and J Smith could go out to midfield.

There was a few shown up not not just Killian Brady..
    Gerry Smith was turned over a few times trying to break tackles. But don't go on another rant because that might sound negative

Killian Brady is a wholehearted player, but I thought Mickey Graham would have looked for a different type of player when he took over. Maybe wanted a battler amongst the more natural footballers, players.

I think Caoimhin Reilly or Paddy Lynch are better ball winners then Conor Smith. But it might be most of the team that played V Dublin.

• Advertisement

Plenty of younger forwards started for Cavan last year made nowhere near the contribution in games that Killian did. There's a reason he kept his place for the final when we had a full hand to pick from, he gets through a mountain of work.

Different player to Mossy and playing a different role in the team so not really comparable IMO.

We hadn’t a full hand to pick from in the final. Conor Brady was injured and was brought straight back into the team in the All Ireland semi final, as was Stephen Murray.

I don’t think you can compare Brady to the young forwards as he won’t be starting anywhere near the forwards. I presumed you had backs to name?

Mossy is comparable to Gunner as both often played around midfield doing the dirty work.

There was a few shown up not not just Killian Brady..
    Gerry Smith was turned over a few times trying to break tackles. But don't go on another rant because that might sound negative

Your last post from last night that I didn’t respond to....
    Cavan knew the wind was obviously worth a few points in the second half, which it was. Thomas Galligan said said they could get control with the win

But Monaghan also played into their hands by just sitting back. And it helped Cavan push on. They were lateral passing for most of the second half, whatever about your "mate" saying they knew Cavan were conditioned they never looked like going anywhere. Sending 40 yards passed back to Beggan.

As I said give it a rest..

So do you want to “give it a rest” or not then?

No point posting that, I leave it and then you bring it up again this evening. I’ve already given you the last word so what more do you want?

Correct.

Lads, lads, lads. I cannot believe what I am seeing!

Killian the gunner was one of our best and most consistent players through the league and championship last year. He was absolutely magnificent against Laois and Fermanagh. I can't believe anyone would seriously consider dropping him!

The idea that his indiscipline "will cost" us is nonsense. He is a hard tackler but has found the right balance in the last few years. The black card he got against Donegal was a joke- that can't be held against him.

He gets through more work than anyone and if fit, will start for us, likely in the middle. His reading of the game will allow James Smith or Thomas Galligan to raid forward and he can cover those gaps. But he can also be called on to do a man-marking job in the backs like he did in the league last year.

There are bigger questions to ask for me. Where is Clarke's best position? is it in the full back line? I think it is fair to say that he had his best game for years in the Ulster semi in 2019 at centre half back but i am still not convinced that is his best role- but then again, i am not sure where is (it ain't midfield or full forward though!)

If so, we have Gerry Smith and the Holla for half back, do we put Stephen Murray in there (if fit, or save him for an explosive second half) or Timoney? Keep Kiernan for the half forwards with Gearoid and Martin Reilly- or do we keep Martin in reserve this year for the most part (he has an unbelievable engine but surely keep for the Tyrone game). Move Madden onto the 40 or keep on the square- and who with? Reilly, Smith and Galligan rotating with James Smith?

More than anything it's the forwards and how we use them and give them game time that is the interesting thing. Not much space in Brewster as we know, so Conroy could be key for kick passes for marks. He was brilliant there last year, easily his best game (although he did have a fine game against Laois as well) so I think he probably will play as an auxillary midfielder like he did last year.

Anyways, safe to say I am absolutely buzzing and can't wait for Saturday. It won't be the same as being there (one of the handier aways- although being part of the Breffni diaspora, they are all away games for me!) but getting some football to watch will be some tonic.

Cavan by 3 i think- we will start slowly but second half will save us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭celt262

Hopefully we can get off to a good start on Saturday evening and get the 2 points on the board. Very important to get out of Division 3 and then full steam ahead for Tyrone.

Right so when Murray and Conor Brady came back into the squad, Killian Brady still started so the point stands. ​

It was no coincidence that most of the scores Donegal got from play in the final happened during Gunner's sinbin period.

I seem to remember you calling for Martin Reilly to be dropped around Championship time last year too...

Brady and Murray were returning from injury and not fit to start. They were brought straight back into the squad as soon as possible for the semi final and brought on during it,

It’s no coincidence he was pulled in the semi final by the first water break. He went off when we were still finding out feet in the game - I don’t think you can directly co-relate his individual absence to the scores from then.

Yes, I did. He wasn’t playing well. I didn’t say to drop him completely. I said he’d be better as an impact sub.

Brady and Murray were returning from injury and not fit to start. They were brought straight back into the squad as soon as possible for the semi final and brought on during it,

It’s no coincidence he was pulled in the semi final by the first water break. He went off when we were still finding out feet in the game - I don’t think you can directly co-relate his individual absence to the scores from then.

Yes, I did. He wasn’t playing well. I didn’t say to drop him completely. I said he’d be better as an impact sub.

Are you still talking about Killian Brady? As an impact sub?

He had a bad game against Dublin, in a game where we were hammered. Is that evidence that he should lose his spot this year? If that's the case, Gerry Smith, Thomas Galligan, McLoughlin should all lose their spots too.

And yes his absence can be completely linked to Donegal's dominance during that period. Cavan were 3 up when he went off and were outscored 7 points to 1 in the 10 minute period where he went off.

As I pointed out to you at the time, Martin Reilly was playing well. He was MOTM against Laois, he had an excellent game against Fermanagh. We lost both league games when the league resumed and not many players covered themselves in glory in two losses. And sure enough, he went on to be one of the best players in an Ulster winning side.

Apart from dropping two of our most influential players have you any other masterstrokes up your sleeve? Tie Gearoid's laces together before he goes out perhaps?

Yes and deserved his all star.

celt262 wrote: »
    Are you still talking about Killian Brady? As an impact sub?

Nope, Martin Reilly. I said last year I felt Martin wasn't playing well and, as I also had said with Mackey a few years back, I felt you'd be better getting 25 good minutes out of him at the end of a game when it might be in the melting pot.

• Advertisement

celt262 wrote: »
    Yes and deserved his all star.

Killian Brady or Martin Reilly didn't get an All Star. Reilly got a nomination.
    He had a bad game against Dublin, in a game where we were hammered. Is that evidence that he should lose his spot this year? If that's the case, Gerry Smith, Thomas Galligan, McLoughlin should all lose their spots too.

And yes his absence can be completely linked to Donegal's dominance during that period. Cavan were 3 up when he went off and were outscored 7 points to 1 in the 10 minute period where he went off.

As I pointed out to you at the time, Martin Reilly was playing well. He was MOTM against Laois, he had an excellent game against Fermanagh. We lost both league games when the league resumed and not many players covered themselves in glory in two losses. And sure enough, he went on to be one of the best players in an Ulster winning side.

Apart from dropping two of our most influential players have you any other masterstrokes up your sleeve? Tie Gearoid's laces together before he goes out perhaps?

Gerry Smith and McLoughlin have held down their spot over the years. I'd imagine Galligan will now also. Brady is entering the twilight of his career and never has under successive managers.

I don't think even Killian Brady would try to claim to be one of our ''most influential players''. You've spent too long listening to Damien Donohoe on We Are Cavan trying to keep the Mullahoran ultras happy with his bias towards their county man. Go back and watch just how many scores he was directly responsible for in that 15 minutes - he was having an absolute nightmare.

I take no pride in saying that as he's a loyal player who works hard but he's limited, which he'd admit himself. Mickey Graham mustn't think he's influential either or he wouldn't have pulled him off the pitch after 15 minutes against Dublin. As you say, others were crowded out by the Dubs but were left on the field. Must be just me and Mickey had doubts about Killian in the wide open spaces of Croke Park - at least I'm in good company!

Re Reilly, I said I felt he'd be better as an impact sub as I explain above. I'm a firm believer that the team you finish with should be stronger than the team you start with. I spent too many years watching Cavan lose to the likes of Monaghan when they were pulling former All Stars like Colin Walshe off the bench at the 50 minute mark and we were sending influential players like Mackey to ours.

Worked well enough when it finally started with Mackey & he was available to spring off the bench against Armagh in 2019.

Who named Martin man of the match in the Laois game? I hadn't seen that anywhere. I remember after that game people raving about Stephen Murray with 2 goals off the bench and G Smith with 3 great points from half back but don't remember anything in particular about Martin. I'd have to admit the same about the Fermanagh game. I was at the Westmeath game and can't remember anything outstanding from him and the less said about the Clare game for most of the squad the better. Coincidentally, even Padraig Faulkner was poor that day but K Brady was hauled off after 30 minutes. Maybe that’s why we lost that game with your estimation of him? If we could last ten minutes in the Ulster Final without him, imagine 40 plus.

Advertisement