Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Jaysus lads I'm fierce excited

Roll on 5 30 pm tomorrow

Let's give this a right good shot never before will a team in an empty stadium have as much support 🇭🇳🇭🇳🇭🇳🇭🇳

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

I think the same 15 as the Ulster Final will start. Only position up for debate is which Conor starts, Madden or Smith.

Cavan_King wrote: »
    I think the same 15 as the Ulster Final will start. Only position up for debate is which Conor starts, Madden or Smith.

Its hard to know... I can see mickey trying to throw a curved ball of some sort with the line up... Hopefully these lads leave it all out there and really go for the jugular

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Im tremendously excited. We are going to be competitive, that I'm sure of.

The flags, signs, bunting along the Dublin Rd is brilliant to see. Cant wait.

cavan4sam wrote: »
    Its hard to know... I can see mickey trying to throw a curved ball of some sort with the line up... Hopefully these lads leave it all out there and really go for the jugular

He did in the Ulster Final because nobody expected James Smith to come in and play a full game.

I’m still surprised we haven’t seen anything of Buchanan. Perhaps he or a fit Stephen Murray could come in. Conor Brady is also on the panel but appears to have been injured.

• Advertisement

A fit Stephen Murray would be a fantastic asset.

A lot of people talking about the need to go long and direct, which I agree with to a point, but to do so you have to be unpredictable. To be fair to management we have been.

Murray driving forward from midfield/halfback line, drawing the opposition uppon him and setting up overlaps would be a differnt dynamic and keep the opposition thinking.

We are going to have to be very clever, going long and direct and it being repeatedly recycled will be a recepie for disaster.

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    A fit Stephen Murray would be a fantastic asset.

A lot of people talking about the need to go long and direct, which I agree with to a point, but to do so you have to be unpredictable. To be fair to management we have been.

Murray driving forward from midfield/halfback line, drawing the opposition uppon him and setting up overlaps would be a differnt dynamic and keep the opposition thinking.

We are going to have to be very clever, going long and direct and it being repeatedly recycled will be a recepie for disaster.

Listened to the We Are Cavan podcast. They spoke about Madden & Smith starting & the pace of the game at the start - I got the feeling they have heard murmurs that Conroy will drop out and the two lads start.

Martin Reilly could drop back into the position Conroy folks and then Conroy come into the game later on when the speed has reduced a bit.

The other curveball could be Niall Murray but I can’t see him being fit to start. He’s done superbly to even get on a pitch this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭rrs

I see Conor Brady listed on the 26 panel as well. First time this year after injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,441 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Good luck to the Cavan team today. Its nice to see what I’d call the rightful kings of ulster football back on top of pile. I think some people can remember the nineties and onwards and the other ulster teams who won all Ireland’s but Cavan had done that all before. Anyway, it’s a huge ask but you never know.

rrs wrote: »
    I see Conor Brady listed on the 26 panel as well. First time this year after injury.

Where did you see the 26man panel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Thunderbirds

Where did you see the 26man panel?

It's in programme.

26 man panel attached.

Disappointing score line in the end but we learned a lot from last year’s Ulster Final and hopefully we’ll do the same from this.

I wonder if Galligan was carrying an injury that he stayed in full forward for the whole game.

Well done lads. They’ve brought great pride to the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Disappointing score line in the end but we learned a lot from last year’s Ulster Final and hopefully we’ll do the same from this.

Lads. As a Dublin fan I’m delighted to get through tonight . Cavan tonight delivered all that could be expected. They put it up to us, more so than an other Leinster team. Be proud of these group of lads. I’d love to see them challenging again next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭benjy1000

Dublin are at a level like Man City and Liverpool, where they can trust their players to win their own battles and can afford to put the high press on and dispossess the opposition

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭piplip87

Lad expected that. Could've been a bit closer though. Kicked some stupid wides. Hopefully this is the incentive needed to get more fellas to commit to the county next year. We will need to go up another level to retain Ulster next year.

Well they missed a few goal chances. Cavan didn't create any goal chances. Martin Reilly made a great block on line, McMahon blasted wide when clean through
    Cavan started very well. James Smith and Ciaran Brady cavans best players in first half. Took the game to Dublin.
    Thomas Galligan and Madden got little ball but were well shackled. They both kicked good scores but mostly quiet. Though Galligan should have got a penalty.
    Sending him off with the game almost up a bit pointless.
    Martin Reilly got some nice scores

Dublin intensity is another level. You can't make errors as Cavan learned
    Ulster title was a big lift after relegation and hopefully going forward Cavan have more players committing.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭moghrasa

Commiserations lads. Yous were ferocious against us two weeks ago, and yous gave Dublin as good a fight as any other team could have done. The likes of Reilly, Madden and the Galligans in particular did a serious service in this campaign. Unreal season for yous all things considered, and I'm looking forward to the rubber match in front of a packed out Clones next Summer!

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Lads. As a Dublin fan I’m delighted to get through tonight . Cavan tonight delivered all that could be expected. They put it up to us, more so than an other Leinster team. Be proud of these group of lads. I’d love to see them challenging again next year.

Patronising as hell even if you weren't trying to be.

Patronising as hell even if you weren't trying to be.
    Honestly I wasn’t.

• Advertisement

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Honestly I wasn’t.

Put it up to us. We lost by 15.

The GAA have destroyed competition by over investing in one county who have every conceivable advantage. No travel expenses, no need for overnight accommodation, no mileage just to train, don't have to pay for their own centre of excellence or build a decent home ground and still got all that investment. Other counties don't get and yet have more expenses but are accused of not having good volunteers. It takes great volunteers to fundraise for all that. Don't play away in a provincial championship.

rrs wrote: »
    Well they missed a few goal chances. Cavan didn't create any goal chances. Martin Reilly made a great block on line, McMahon blasted wide when clean through
    Cavan started very well. James Smith and Ciaran Brady cavans best players in first half. Took the game to Dublin.
    Thomas Galligan and Madden got little ball but were well shackled. They both kicked good scores but mostly quiet. Though Galligan should have got a penalty.
    Sending him off with the game almost up a bit pointless.
    Martin Reilly got some nice scores

Dublin intensity is another level. You can't make errors as Cavan learned
    Ulster title was a big lift after relegation and hopefully going forward Cavan have more players committing.

I thought Copper should have got a black card at a vital stage of the game. It was a clear pull down on Martin Reilly.

I also thought Brannigan was weak on high tackles from both teams, although Dublin started it and our lads followed. The time Jason McLoughlin got thrown around on the sideline with no free was ridiculous.

After Brady made a few runs. Dublin put someone on him just to stop him running.

Killian Brady badly cleaned out in first 15 minutes.

We learned a lot from the Ulster Final last year it seems and hopefully this is the same.

I wonder if Galligan was carrying an injury that he stayed in full forward for the whole game.

I wondered the same... I felt cheated that galligan didn't get to challenge the best of them ie. Fenton

But folks what a year, highs lows and a huge bond with every supporter in the country after the emotion of the ulster final

WE ARE STILL ULSTER CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,497 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The Cavan lads might not have had the right footwear on tonight.
    I thought they lost their footing a lot at the wrong times causing them to lose the ball.
    Dublin did not slip nearly as much. They also lost the ball in the tackle far too often.
    Croke Park is definitely worth 5/6 points to the Dubs.
    Something not right with things either when Cavan have played 5 games and none in Breffni Park while Dublin have played every match in Croke Park.

The Antrim game was in Breffni. But its nothing new with Dublin being use to Croke Park. Either they develop a new stadium and sell Parnell, or the Gaa makes them play League games in Parnell.

They played Westmeath in Portlaoise this year, but Semi final and final were Croker. Gotten to the stage where Leinster finals should be played elsewhere to make it at least competitive.

Put it up to us. We lost by 15.

The GAA have destroyed competition by over investing in one county who have every conceivable advantage. No travel expenses, no need for overnight accommodation, no mileage just to train, don't have to pay for their own centre of excellence or build a decent home ground and still got all that investment. Other counties don't get and yet have more expenses but are accused of not having good volunteers. It takes great volunteers to fundraise for all that. Don't play away in a provincial championship.

I’ve not posted any of the above, but you are entitled to your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭mylestheslasher

Lads we were bet by a superb team. Not the time to start moaning about the advantages Dublin have. Cavan need to look at the standards they have and strive towards them.

Lads we were bet by a superb team. Not the time to start moaning about the advantages Dublin have. Cavan need to look at the standards they have and strive towards them.

Cheers. For what it’s worth, Cavan have embraced and delivered the way football should be played.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Im tremendously excited. We are going to be competitive, that I'm sure of.

The flags, signs, bunting along the Dublin Rd is brilliant to see. Cant wait.
    Unfortunately ye weren't competitive at all. Ulster football is in serious trouble looking at tonight

• Advertisement

The Cavan lads might not have had the right footwear on tonight.
    I thought they lost their footing a lot at the wrong times causing them to lose the ball.
    Dublin did not slip nearly as much. They also lost the ball in the tackle far too often.
    Croke Park is definitely worth 5/6 points to the Dubs.
    Something not right with things either when Cavan have played 5 games and none in Breffni Park while Dublin have played every match in Croke Park.

We played Antrim in Breffni Park. I still think we should have asked for the semi final tonight to be moved.

Chris Conroy, for example, you could tell some of his foot passes went astray because of the way they skidded off the pitch which Cavan simply weren’t used to.

Advertisement