Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭mcburns07

A balmy 12 degrees here in east Cork, it feels it too. So damp and gloomy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I can't wait for this week to end for two reasons; hopefully we will be closer to a good cold spell and i will be glad to see the back of all this rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭4Ad

A gloomy 10 degrees in East Clare...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

A completely miserable day here in wexford. Raining basically all day here. The worst kind of weather. I wish we could bring back the cold sunny weather :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a cool day here in Meath, high of 5C and rain looks like it's about to get going here and much milder air following.

temp_uk.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Might sound a bit weird, and I think it is, but there is a smell of snow outside.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Might sound a bit weird, and I think it is, but there is a smell of snow outside.

My young fella said the same there he was putting stuff in the bin and came in saying he could smell snow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

Well im smelling rain soi just had a look outside and low and behold, its raining ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭KingJeremy

Snow has a smell??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭lolie

KingJeremy wrote: »
    Snow has a smell??

Yellow snow :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Well it’s raining and 1c at 320 metres here. So no chance of snow there.

https://twitter.com/SeaStudio_ie/status/1349012443121545216?s=19

Zoom in
    Snowdonia is always visible from croghan too here in South Wicklow and on good days from Arklow rock
    Theres a very tall peak visible from croghan which I've always assumed to be snowdon
    You can also roam on uk mobile networks up there

I can see the two peaks in Jura. And many other Scottish hills.

Arran

owUONQz.jpg

Ayrshire

7bHU2Gk.jpg

Alissa Craig:

sRnMdAk.jpg

Mull of Kintyre:

G0EfKiu.jpg

I have even seen the lighthouses flashing on and off on Islay at times.

Mull of Kintyre:

SroPopA.jpg

Mull of Kintyre windmills:

7yH2zSM.jpg

Isle of Man:

f6ZgLIy.jpg

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    I can see the two peaks in Jura. And many other Scottish hills.

Arran

https://i.imgur.com/owUONQz.jpg

Ayrshire
    ]https://i.imgur.com/7bHU2Gk.jpg

Alissa Craig:

https://i.imgur.com/sRnMdAk.jpg

Mull of Kintyre:

https://i.imgur.com/G0EfKiu.jpg

I have even seen the lighthouses flashing on and off on Islay at times.

In fine Summer weather down here pre satellite days,we used be able to receive BBC one Scotland
    As a norm we had BBC 1&2 Wales and ITV wales (HTV) and laterally ch 5 off a simple aerial from a transmitter in Wales
    The digital version off the aerial comes in perfectly from wales today now
    No need for satellite
    We even have DAB radio from there
    Quare handy
    We can't pick up anything from Northern Ireland as the wicklow mountains block it but can just about get radio Ulster on AM
    Manx radio blasts in
    I digress :D

I’m not sure about TV channels but we can pick up all the Ayrshire and Argyllshire radio stations pretty clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Was down at the Raven in Wexford in early July 2018. Could only receive UK mobile signal!

Picking up Scottish Radio from Northern Ireland’s north coast

https://youtu.be/iYwlx5jqDuM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I seen that Dublin live has us having a beast from the east as early as the 19th

Marco has very kindly shown us tonight the kind of air I'd expect us to be advecting late next week bringing us all a very Snowy wonderland
    Just pinch and zoom Scandinavia and all points east of it into Russia

https://twitter.com/Petagna/status/1349134790532935686?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

AuntySnow wrote: »
    In fine Summer weather down here pre satellite days,we used be able to receive BBC one Scotland
    As a norm we had BBC 1&2 Wales and ITV wales (HTV) and laterally ch 5 off a simple aerial from a transmitter in Wales
    The digital version off the aerial comes in perfectly from wales today now
    No need for satellite
    We even have DAB radio from there
    Quare handy
    We can't pick up anything from Northern Ireland as the wicklow mountains block it but can just about get radio Ulster on AM
    Manx radio blasts in
    I digress :D

probably going slightly off topic here but back in the analogue days high pressure in the summer would sometimes give us signals here in Meath that are well outside their range of transmission.

We could always get the Northern Ireland stations but would often lose them completely during warm weather. On these rare occasions I would sometimes get the welsh channels. During the summer 1995 heatwave I remember picking up briefly some stations from South-western England and even a very hazy reception of some french stations in Secam mode, the tv we had at the time was both Pal and Secam. Once the 1995 heatwave departed we never saw the french channels ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Yeah, I remember a few years we weren't able to watch the World Snooker final because of interference of S4C on the BBC1 signal here. Feckin nuisance. Always happened in high pressure, when ducting of the signal would occur under the subsidence inversion, allowing otherwise out-of-range signals to make it this far. It's the same process that causes anaprop on rainfall radar.

These young scuts nowadays wouldn't know what we're talking about. Think of the worst wifi you can get. That's how frustrating it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Danno wrote: »

The trees were like that in 2010 around here, albeit with persistent freezing fog the entire time so never got that crazy contrast with the sky

Yeah, I remember a few years we weren't able to watch the World Snooker final because of interference of S4C on the BBC1 signal here. Feckin nuisance. Always happened in high pressure, when ducting of the signal would occur under the subsidence inversion, allowing otherwise out-of-range signals to make it this far. It's the same process that causes anaprop on rainfall radar.

These young scuts nowadays wouldn't know what we're talking about. Think of the worst wifi you can get. That's how frustrating it was.

Yup tropospheric ducting
    Theres even charts for enthusiasts who chase the tv and radio signal gold it delivers
    So it's actually somewhat on topic :D
    I've the tv set to auto tune here so sometimes receive French muxes from Brittany
    Regular visitors to the TV tuner would be from Cornwall and Devon

https://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo_eur.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

The trees were like that in 2010 around here, albeit with persistent freezing fog the entire time so never got that crazy contrast with the sky

Looked in my photo archive and this is the best of mine I could find. Photo is the morning of 28/11/2010

539304.JPG

No chance of replication this year no matter how much snow we get as the council trimmed the branches off the trees just before CHristmas to use up their funding before the end of the year.

While looking for the photo above I came across a snow cover map for Feb 5th 2012 which I mentioned in the snow thread. It was in relation to someone saying how disgusted they were that Spain of all places was getting a dumping of snow and we got very little. I mentioned that it was when Greece and Turkey, Syria and Libya/Tunisia in North Africa get snow and we don't, thats when I get really cranky. I remembered the SNow cover map but couldn't find it that day. Feb 2012 was SSW year and the whole Northern Hemisphere got covered including North Africa and yet the Snow Cover stopped at the Welsh Coast. ANyway, my memory wasn't faulty. Feb 2012 Ireland was the most Northly snow free place on the planet by far. An oasis of green in a sea of white.

https://imgur.com/DUR5rNM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Balmy mild morning here in North Cork, it was like a summer morning when the sun came out for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Big backtrack by the models away from cold and snow. Looking like it's game over. It was all to good to be true anyway. So it's Atlantic muck for the rest of the winter... very disappointing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Big backtrack by the models away from cold and snow. Looking like it's game over. It was all to good to be true anyway. So it's Atlantic muck for the rest of the winter... very disappointing

But but what about all those council workers getting the snow ploughs ready?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

But but what about all those council workers getting the snow ploughs ready?

What's your point? They were told to be on alert.

Advertisement