Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

We seem to have missed all the rain since the weekend here in Cork. It's been grey and murky for the most part but just 1.6mm of rain since Sunday, and you have to go all the way back to Dec 27/28 for any rain of note prior to that, apart from a few snow showers during the cold spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Some great bassy thunder in that but Jebus Christ, why do people insist on recording vertically? Braindead.

Instagram is why

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Another dull morning in wexford.:(

I'm not looking at models until Tuesday
    If there's nothing by then more than normal short bursts of westerly Atlantic Hill slop in the outlook I'll be calling this a scamstrat as it will have had its 2 weeks plus and done nothing for Ireland anyway and won't want to hear anything about Stratospheric warming nonsense ever again

• Registered Users Posts: 36 rbelmc

hi all
    just a quick update from Sweden
    winter has taken a firm grip since last week
    the largest snowfalls in 10 years were recorded in the north of the country
    Aspea had an incredible 113 cm in 36 hours and large parts in the north recorded snowfalls of between 75 and 100cm
    virtually the whole of the country is snow covered now with depths of up to 20cm even in the south
    the coldest temperature last night was -39 in the north
    the first national ice day of the winter is expected tomorrow
    hopefully the Irish weather can start coming from the North and East again so you can tap in to this cold air

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    It’s just icy rain/sleet in most of Scotland so that makes me feel slightly happier.

That's not true at-all

I'm from Scotland,family and friends on Facebook from a wide range of areas posting pictures and videos of heavy snow fall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭mcburns07

rbelmc wrote: »
    hi all
    just a quick update from Sweden
    winter has taken a firm grip since last week
    the largest snowfalls in 10 years were recorded in the north of the country
    Aspea had an incredible 113 cm in 36 hours and large parts in the north recorded snowfalls of between 75 and 100cm
    virtually the whole of the country is snow covered now with depths of up to 20cm even in the south
    the coldest temperature last night was -39 in the north
    the first national ice day of the winter is expected tomorrow
    hopefully the Irish weather can start coming from the North and East again so you can tap in to this cold air

What part of Sweden are you living in? It's on my bucketlist to visit the north of Sweden some day :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

gerrybhoy wrote: »
    That's not true at-all

I'm from Scotland,family and friends on Facebook from a wide range of areas posting pictures and videos of heavy snow fall

Well that’s not what they were saying on netweather

Well that’s not what they were saying on netweather
    Unless my family and friends are making videos and photoshopping pictures then eh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Plenty of pictures/videos of snow in the uk this morning

• Advertisement

Great Britain..

Anyway, looking at radar it is mostly snowing on hills so do be realistic when you are saying snow. It is now raining in the centre of Glasgow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Great Britain..

Anyway, looking at radar it is mostly snowing on hills so do be realistic when you are saying snow. It is now raining in the centre of Glasgow.

11 cm of lying snow in Strathallan (35 m amsl) this morning.

https://meteologix.com/ie/observations/perthshire-and-kinross/weather-observation/20210114-0900z.html#obs-detail-031440

https://meteologix.com/ie/observations/9bf9b6df2472b53b5595bbf4f65d059f/snow-depth/20210114-0900z.html

And my sis lives in Aberdeen and says it’s raining there. Shall we extrapolate that out to the whole area too then?

And my sis lives in Aberdeen and says it’s raining there. Shall we extrapolate that out to the whole area too then?

Closer to you, it's snowing in Bishopstown, Glasgow (59 m amsl) right now.

https://meteologix.com/ie/observations/north-ayshire/weather-observation/20210114-0900z.html#obs-detail-031340

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

A bit on the nippy side in Connemara this morning:

X9wUWwQ.png

New Moon

Great Britain..

Scotland,Lanarkshire, Glasgow,Fife,Edinburgh the list goes on,they all up until about a wee bit ago where getting snow,Glasgow centre is getting rain? Be specific here,Glasgow is a very large city

gerrybhoy wrote: »
    Scotland,Lanarkshire, Glasgow,Fife,Edinburgh the list goes on,they all up until about a wee bit ago where getting snow,Glasgow centre is getting rain? Be specific here,Glasgow is a very large city

I don’t need to be specific. Don’t say it’s snowing all over the place when it’s mostly on the hills.

I don’t need to be specific. Don’t say it’s snowing all over the place when it’s mostly on the hills.

To be fair,it is marginal but is snowing in some large urban areas in southern central Scotland and Northern England
    Here's a selection of webcams in Leeds Bradford, Sheffield amongst others

https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/webcams/bradford_united-kingdom_2654993

See that's when your caught talking bollocks sir

Most of the folk showing these pictures arent living in any hilly regions, areas of Glasgow,Penilee, Hillington Cardonald, those 3 for example are anything but near hills

Lanarkshire, Fife etc again arent notorious hilly places,see, if your going to post something at least get the facts correct instead of reading it off netweather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Finally, some blue skies are appearing in wexford, probably won't last long though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Looking at Netweather radar, to me it looks like the vast majority of Scotland (and most of north England) is experiencing snow rather than rain. I just had a look at a webcam on George Square in the middle of Glasgow city and there's a slight covering in the grassy areas. As George Square is pretty much at sea level and in the middle of highly urban area, it would be reasonable to assume that the snow is not mainly on the hills.

Aberdeen and the rest of the east coast of Scotland is under the influence of an onshore breeze resulting in higher temperatures than most of Scotland and consequently is one of the few areas that is experiencing rain rather than snow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

MOD NOTE

I get there maybe some tension with the flip flop of the charts , and rite now we sit with the flop in hand , but please keep it civil and stop trying to pick arguments

Aberdeen and the rest of the east coast of Scotland is under the influence of an onshore breeze resulting in higher temperatures than most of Scotland and consequently is one of the few areas that is experiencing rain rather than snow.

A marine layer basically

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

AuntySnow wrote: »
    I'm not looking at models until Tuesday
    If there's nothing by then more than normal short bursts of westerly Atlantic Hill slop in the outlook I'll be calling this a scamstrat as it will have had its 2 weeks plus and done nothing for Ireland anyway and won't want to hear anything about Stratospheric warming nonsense ever again

If you feel that way then fair enough. However, I will continue to post about the stratosphere ‘til the end of time or as long as I’m a weather enthusiast anyway as I find its variability and dynamic nature quite interesting irregardless of what happens at a tropospheric level. How it can vary from a very strong SPV to a very weak SPV in a matter of days via stratospheric warmings. It’s just all fascinating to me. It’s a continuously researched phenomena too so there’s always something new to learn and nothing is concrete. The stratosphere never “promised” anything, I think it’s people’s expectations getting the best of them (and I have done that before too *sigh*).

It’s unfortunate it is now used as another source that the media can “justify” their nonsense on that they pull out of their arse because of events like 2018. I do find that quite frustrating knowing that was the extreme end of tropospheric impacts and will highly unlikely see again anytime soon.

AuntySnow wrote: »
    A marine layer basically

Or is it a warm sector?

Or is it a warm sector?

Careful now :D

sryanbruen wrote: »
    If you feel that way then fair enough. However, I will continue to post about the stratosphere ‘til the end of time or as long as I’m a weather enthusiast anyway as I find its variability and dynamic nature quite interesting irregardless of what happens at a tropospheric level. How it can vary from a very strong SPV to a very weak SPV in a matter of days via stratospheric warmings. It’s just all fascinating to me. It’s a continuously researched phenomena too so there’s always something new to learn and nothing is concrete. The stratosphere never “promised” anything, I think it’s people’s expectations getting the best of them (and I have done that before too *sigh*).

It’s unfortunate it is now used as another source that the media can “justify” their nonsense on that they pull out of their arse because of events like 2018. I do find that quite frustrating knowing that was the extreme end of tropospheric impacts and will highly unlikely see again anytime soon.

To be brutally honest,I've as much interest in the North Pole strat as I do in the Mars strat if it doesn't affect our weather
    But I do read your interesting summaries of what's going on up there vs delving in myself
    I do so I think with enough understanding to judge if there's going to be any impact down here
    I still expect there will be,but am not interested in another week of time wasting flip flopping output watching ,I want the 2 to 3 weeks post major strat warm to play out to its bitter conclusion at this stage as my confidence of a response that affects us is low
    So please don't take my views as a disrespect for your strat watch
    Its very helpful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Better get the lawnmower serviced going by GFS model. Blowtorch southwesterlies all the way. Well, almost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Better get the lawnmower serviced going by GFS model. Blowtorch southwesterlies all the way. Well, almost.

Ha. Just thinking the same. But I have to be honest people. I got a large delivery of wood for my stove on Tuesday. I may have jinxed things. Sorry :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,752 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Gorgeous in Dublin now, more of this please

Advertisement