Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭lawDani

FE1new wrote: »
    I am actually bricking it this morning waiting on the results (that's if they are even are released). :(

There goes my concentration in work for the day!

Same! just been constantly checking, i kind of feel we would have received an email? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭lawgirl23

This did happen in August for candidates waiting on their last results and eligible for Blackhall in September.

I wasn’t waiting on last results and wasn’t eligible for Blackhall but definitely got an email. I just checked there - it was 4pm in the afternoon saying that results were available on their website. That was last September. I didn’t realise not everybody got an email! That’s crazy.

Still holding out hope that we might get them today...

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Lovestolisten

bluerthanu wrote: »
    Somehow I'm not sure if future solicitors are going to find the most sympathetic audience to our woes on Joe Duffy haha!

I’m not sitting these exams to be a solicitor. I’m a civil servant and it’s part of my job.
    I have to be qualified but I won’t be practicing.

The profession is not the point,
    The Law Society are an educational organisation, they have a duty to provide at least a minimum standard of care to those PAYING for this service.

We pay through the nose to sit these exams, have rechecks and resits.

If this was accountancy I would have competing organisations to take my business to.

I just sat and received results for Accounting Exams earlier this year.
    Exams took place online as scheduled, with plenty of communication, Results in on time.

The problem is the monopoly.
    I believe plenty of people would be sympathetic, not because some people are prospective legal practitioners, but because we are people paying for a service that hinges heavily on our future careers and being treated exactly like all the ordinary citizens of this country trying to access the legal system, like we are an inconvenience, being lied to and ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 FE1HOPEFUL

So disheartening, especially when the next set of exams are so close now.

The only thing that seems to elicit any sense of urgency in them is being called out more publicly – e.g. being tweeted at, or receiving calls/emails from firms/training solicitors on behalf of exam candidates etc. It's not fair that students are put in the position where this is their only option when they will be understandably reluctant to put their name out there publicly or kick up a fuss in complaint against the professional body they are hoping to be a part of for the rest of their careers.

In continuing to provide such a poor service, the Law Society is taking advantage of this power imbalance and their monopoly in respect of FE1 students who pay them huge money to sit these exams, while at the same time the organisation posts frequently about mental health and supporting new entrants to the profession and younger colleagues.

It is so frustrating to not be able to plan for the next sitting. At the very least they MUST be able to confirm a release time and date at this stage to at least allow people to park it mentally until then, and if it comes earlier great.

If everyone on here that’s waiting for exams , calls and emails .. it might not make a different but it might make them consider the emotional state of the students they enjoy taking so much money from

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Fe7

If everyone on here that’s waiting for exams , calls and emails .. it might not make a different but it might make them consider the emotional state of the students they enjoy taking so much money from

OH they are fully prepared for the calls and emails, which is why the receptionist had a statement given to her as a buffer before putting through to the FE1 section.

I say we go public, and not with just the issue at hand today, but for the reasons other posters have put above. (Well put by the way)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭bluerthanu

I’m not sitting these exams to be a solicitor. I’m a civil servant and it’s part of my job.
    I have to be qualified but I won’t be practicing.

The profession is not the point,
    The Law Society are an educational organisation, they have a duty to provide at least a minimum standard of care to those PAYING for this service.

We pay through the nose to sit these exams, have rechecks and resits.

If this was accountancy I would have competing organisations to take my business to.

I just sat and received results for Accounting Exams earlier this year.
    Exams took place online as scheduled, with plenty of communication, Results in on time.

The problem is the monopoly.
    I believe plenty of people would be sympathetic, not because some people are prospective legal practitioners, but because we are people paying for a service that hinges heavily on our future careers and being treated exactly like all the ordinary citizens of this country trying to access the legal system, like we are an inconvenience, being lied to and ignored.

Oh I couldn't agree more with all that, my comment was more partially in jest (and partially that I doubt the LS would even notice). Letter to the IT and main broadsheets would be a good place to start perhaps, given the likely audience and how easy it is to coordinate a letter and send en masse (but I don't claim to have any insight on targeted communications).

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭EmmaO94

Realising I'm not going to get any meaningful study done today as I'm so distracted waiting on word from the Law Soc :-(
    Not saying we're being treated with contempt but it sure feels like it

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭LS3

I messaged them and they replied in 10 mins with a copy and pasted script- they didnt even change the name and realised afterwards... someone please call Joe Duffy. our voices need to be heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 tommytimber

Is there anything to be said for a twitter pile on?

• Advertisement

Petition, regardless of when the current results come out to get their act together. Have gathered anonymous opinions and hopefully more to come by signers.

http://chng.it/r5CbZFdzgx

Please share

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭vid36

Folks until the last sitting, FE1 exam results were always released on a Friday. No point ringing or emailing on Monday. If their email said the provisional release date was this week, well take that as Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭lawDani

vid36 wrote: »
    Folks until the last sitting, FE1 exam results were always released on a Friday. No point ringing or emailing on Monday. If their email said the provisional release date was this week, well take that as Friday.

this is true. and is does state 'week of' the 11th... petition pending until Friday haha?

The issue is that we were to receive an update a week ago if the provisional week was as they said it would be. Secondly, their staff have replied to people saying results are released today. There is no coherence. I think everyone is entitled to feel how they do when they received explicit communication regarding it, rather than assessing what the norm pre-covid was.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭AlexTG356

Well they said in an email sent to a student that results would provisionally be published this Monday, so the frustration is understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 laworlawww

I think the problem is that they cannot be relied upon to follow the usual routine anymore, e.g. releasing on a certain day at a certain time and sending an email a week in advance.

Some people received responses that the provisional release date was today. I would understand if there is some factor affecting their ability to release the results, if there were some sort of explanation at least then we'd know, but the lack of any sort of communication is incredibly stressful.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭lsheehaneire

Some of us awaiting on results for the Hybrid ( which they gave "provisional" access to some candidates and not others which is another issue !!) were told it would be today.

I was told by TWO different sections (FE1 and the Hybrid) that it would be today. ....the worrying thing is WHY the delay ? It is well over the standard time and presumably the actual exam was easier to correct with them being typed and the spellcheck option. Something is amiss!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ALK2!

For anyone interested- I submitted a complaint to the ombudsman re: the Law Societies actions since September 2020 to date through the Ombudsman (.ie) website.

Any unanswered emails/ complaints to LS can be used as evidence.

It's probably unlikely they will or can do anything to resolve our issues but if enough people submit a complaint about the same thing, it may bring attention to the incompetence and inefficiencies displayed by the Law Society year on year.

In the complaint I mentioned- 1. LS confirming date of November exams only weeks before we were due to sit them, 2. logged out of two exams on multiple occasions, provided no extra time for the second exam and no response to emails regarding the difficulty for over 6 weeks, 2. unanswered queries through call and email, 3. delayed exam results leaving limited time to study for March, 4. misleading information concerning result dates, 5. continued avoidance of students who have paid for their service on the day they had outlined results would be released.

Kudos to everyone that kicks up a fuss about this, instead of the "it'll be grand" approach. I'm so glad to be surrounded (albeit anonymously) by individuals with that kind of drive in the future. It's those kind of people that help society progress and become better. I couldn't think of a better career path for those of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Hazel774

To be fair, they were always released within 6 weeks though. We are now in week 9 so the traditional release schedule has gone out the window.

Also just to note, I did receive an email from them on Friday saying results would be released today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 BoyLaw937

Slightly off topic but can anyone tell me what the process is once you complete all 8 FE-1's.

ie. When your finished all 8 you apply to Blackhall to begin PPC1 - is there a backlog for this or would you just get accepted into whatever the next semester is. If I completed all 8 would I be expecting a position immediately in Blackhall or two years down the road?

Do most people begin looking for training contracts mid way through the FE-1's or do they wait until the end?

Do I need to be on a training contract to begin in blackhall - I assume you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mc96

ALK2! wrote: »
    For anyone interested- I submitted a complaint to the ombudsman re: the Law Societies actions since September 2020 to date through the Ombudsman (.ie) website.

Any unanswered emails/ complaints to LS can be used as evidence.

It's probably unlikely they will or can do anything to resolve our issues but if enough people submit a complaint about the same thing, it may bring attention to the incompetence and inefficiencies displayed by the Law Society year on year.

In the complaint I mentioned- 1. LS confirming date of November exams only weeks before we were due to sit them, 2. logged out of two exams on multiple occasions, provided no extra time for the second exam and no response to emails regarding the difficulty for over 6 weeks, 2. unanswered queries through call and email, 3. delayed exam results leaving limited time to study for March, 4. misleading information concerning result dates, 5. continued avoidance of students who have paid for their service on the day they had outlined results would be released.

Hadn't even thought about the Ombudsman, I will follow suit in making a similar complaint - thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 lawd20

ALK2! wrote: »

100% the correct thing to do but I think you might have more luck complaining to the Legal Services Regulatory Authority! But fair play!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 michaelot97

Is there anything to be said for saying another mass?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 DavidX90

Enough is enough.

I have now contacted Joe Duffy's Liveline to explain the ridiculousness of this (recurring) situation. Hopefully they will let me speak on the show!

In the meantime, I'll be replying to every one of their social media posts, and sharing the story with journalists and local politicians.

Can we please stick together on this. Thousands of us are affected. Strength in numbers and all that...

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭lsheehaneire

The LSRA deals with "legal services" so I dont think complaints we make will be under their remit either....they really do have a monopoly over the legal sector which explains their incompetence. They are not accountable to anybody.

Petition signed ...

https://www.change.org/p/the-law-society-of-ireland-holding-the-law-society-accountable-regarding-fe1-candidates?redirect=false

All the small pushing culminated hopefully forces their hand to admit how badly they have handled the entire episode.

They should be made accountable publicly for how ordinary people are treated.

The Law Society behave as if they are the law, above the ordinary man , dictating the future of an entire industry.

Have they ever revealed any marking scheme?
    Have they ever produced full consistent sample answers?
    For anyone who has sat repeats I’m sure you’ll agree there’s no system , rhyme or reason to marking.

I can’t wait until I’m done with having anything to do with them. I’m sorry I didn’t become a Pilates Instructor

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭CoconutHeadMia

Is there anything to be said for saying another mass?

Ah go on

DavidX90 wrote: »
    Enough is enough.

I have now contacted Joe Duffy's Liveline to explain the ridiculousness of this (recurring) situation. Hopefully they will let me speak on the show!

In the meantime, I'll be replying to every one of their social media posts, and sharing the story with journalists and local politicians.

Can we please stick together on this. Thousands of us are affected. Strength in numbers and all that...

Well done. Just a reminder I started a petition a few pages back

http://chng.it/r5CbZFdzgx

• Advertisement

DavidX90 wrote: »
    Enough is enough.

I’ll be tuned in !! That’s brilliant

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement