Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

It’s a disgrace that we are driven to spend our limited (precious) study time trying to start petitions and contact the media because a professional body to which we pay THOUSANDS refuses to treat us with respect and transparency.

Before the November sitting many people stated that the dealings with the law society are more stressful than the actual exams and these recent events just makes that ten times more true!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 LawStudent999

I understand that the release of the results was provisionally this week and that the argument could be made that, until Friday, that statement is not yet untrue.

However, there are a plethora of other reasons as to why this petition and complaints to the ombudsman are suitable now, and not a moment later. The LS, as many have stated, are at the forefront of the monopoly within the legal sector. In their mission statement they hold themselves out to be things they are not, and those things are considerate, decisive, and effective communicators. This is just to name a few. Ultimately, they hold themselves out to be something which they are not, and this comes at the suffering of the candidates. We are coming up to a March sitting which will mark 1 year since this country started dealing with COVID. In that time, the law society has made several postponements. They have changed from a standpoint of “absolutely no online exams” to now hosting online, which for many, proved largely problematic. In the lead up to exams, candidates have received little to no information. Some going directly to the LS for info, which they do not make readily available, despite consistent dates given, which are then passed by with no further updates.

For any who do not know, this boards forum is monitored by the LS, and they have posted here, following weeks of silence, when contacting mainstream media has been mentioned. Please sign the petition above and hopefully we will see some accountability.

I have posted here before and always I go back to my core argument. I have no problem putting in the work, and I wouldn’t be here if I did. However, given the circumstances we find ourselves in, and given the importance of peoples mental health, the archaic system needs changing. Every other institution has been bent around COVID. Even the Leaving Cert which I though would never change in a million years was abandoned. How are we still facing the same scenario despite all that’s going against us?

Please sign the petition so that we may have some accountability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

BoyLaw937 wrote: »
    Do most people begin looking for training contracts mid way through the FE-1's or do they wait until the end?

Do I need to be on a training contract to begin in blackhall - I assume you do.

To give yourself the best chance, you should be looking at Training Contracts as early as possible. Plenty of people accept TC's before they've even started the Fe1s

• Registered Users Posts: 43 DavidX90

Please take a look at @LawSocIreland most recent Tweet.

They actually have the cheek to post about mental health when many of us are struggling to cope with this whole situation!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭EmmaO94

DavidX90 wrote: »

They actually have the cheek to post about mental health when many of us are struggling to cope with this whole situation!!!

Ya couldn't make it up.

I've passed 4 fe1s and sat 2 in November so hoping I only have 2 left for March, but that ofc hinges on these results. Urgently need to know if I'll be sitting 2, 3 or 4 exams in March, as that will of course totally alter my study schedule. Every day that ticks on makes me more stressy, I hate this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

Any luck with liveline?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 BoyLaw937

IgoPAP wrote: »
    To give yourself the best chance, you should be looking at Training Contracts as early as possible. Plenty of people accept TC's before they've even started the Fe1s

Oh cool, thanks you for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ScatmanWhack

LSI took in just shy of €1 million in exam fees in 2019.

Must be setting fire to the cash because it certainly isn't being spent on providing a decent service for candidates.

https://annualreport.lawsociety.ie/media/1828/ar2020-financeconsolidated.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭caius97

BoyLaw937 wrote: »
    Oh cool, thanks you for your help.

If you're looking for TCs now, I know the following firms are still hiring:
    A&L Goodbody
    Philip Lee
    Matheson

Hope this helps and good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

It sounds so bloody obvious, but surely the LS could deal with the delay issue by hiring more examiners? Why on earth is there 2 people correcting the hundreds of exams for each subject? There's plenty of legal academics with the qualifications and training, that would be happy to correct for a few extra quid, so why does everyone have to wait weeks and weeks for the results?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Nikcan18

I just spoke to the LS and they said the results won't be out today.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Lovestolisten

EmmaO94 wrote: »
    Ya couldn't make it up.

I've passed 4 fe1s and sat 2 in November so hoping I only have 2 left for March, but that ofc hinges on these results. Urgently need to know if I'll be sitting 2, 3 or 4 exams in March, as that will of course totally alter my study schedule. Every day that ticks on makes me more stressy, I hate this.

Add in one full time job from home and two primary school children being homeschooled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Fe7

Nikcan18 wrote: »

*eats popcorn as chaos ensues*

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭EmmaO94

Add in one full time job from home and two primary school children being homeschooled.

My heart goes out to you honestly, this is so so unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭lawDani

Fe7 wrote: »
    *eats popcorn as chaos ensues*

that made me lol at my desk in the office. this forum is my sanity.

hopefully results Friday so...

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭neon123

caius97 wrote: »
    If you're looking for TCs now, I know the following firms are still hiring:
    A&L Goodbody
    Philip Lee
    Matheson

Hope this helps and good luck!

For the written work PL require, can this be a Master thesis completed a few years ago? They do ask for something recent but I haven't had to write any pieces in a long time!

Did they give any further info? Thanks for sharing!

About to tear my hair out 😭

Enough is enough.

I have now contacted Joe Duffy's Liveline to explain the ridiculousness of this (recurring) situation. Hopefully they will let me speak on the show!

In the meantime, I'll be replying to every one of their social media posts, and sharing the story with journalists and local politicians.

Can we please stick together on this. Thousands of us are affected. Strength in numbers and all that...

this is strength. and makes me hopeful for change and respect from the law society. it takes one Domino to get the effect rolling so thanks to anybody who has led this! my nerves. strength definitely in numbers lets be heard! albeit through Joe Duffy and mainstream media!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ryan G

I don’t see any reason why the next sitting wasn’t postponed an extra month to avoid the anxiety and panic they are causing everyone at present. Is there any legitimate reason why they wouldn’t do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Hazel774

Haha READ THE ROOM!!

Jesus, they’re actually comical at this point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 biglawhead420

Ryan G wrote: »
    I don’t see any reason why the next sitting wasn’t postponed an extra month to avoid the anxiety and panic they are causing everyone at present. Is there any legitimate reason why they wouldn’t do this?

If you email them they might consider it.

I am sure this has been raised and I think they said if there was enough interest that maybe they might entertain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Nikcan18

Did they give any further info? Thanks for sharing!

About to tear my hair out 😭

No further info unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭AlexTG356

Especially with the issue of rechecks.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭lsheehaneire

snap me too..it would have be nice to know here we stood before the home schooling kicked in!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 FE1HOPEFUL

Thank you so much to everyone who has already replied to the Law Society's recent tweet about mental health, or just tweeted @ them generally, requesting clear communication regarding release of results and highlighting that the next set of exams are just 6/7 weeks away. Sitting these exams is already a significant financial burden and everyone has enough to contend with in their personal and work lives at the moment without having to also try to plan ahead with this ongoing uncertainty and lack of communication/explanation. Hopefully if enough people raise the issue we will hear something soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

No further info unfortunately.

Who did you get thru to so hard to get someone on the phone

my heart is broken with these release dates. nearly two years doing them and its always an extremely anxious, sacrificing time!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭maggie95

Just off the phone with them myself and can confirm no results today. They say they're endeavouring to release results this week (no promises). They are hoping to have an email out updating us on the situation this week...

I asked for the formal complaints procedure and was told to email FE1section@lawsociety.ie - honestly not a good enough complaints procedure in my opinion.

I told them that I had to laugh when I saw the tweet about mental health as there is an obvious lack of care for FE1 candidates' mental health.

To be fair to Shirley & Team, I don't think it's them who are the cause of the issue, it's definitely a senior management issue. I feel bad giving out to Shirley when I know it's not within her control but my gosh it is a frustrating situation.
    Well, another few sleepless nights ahead anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭caius97

neon123 wrote: »
    For the written work PL require, can this be a Master thesis completed a few years ago? They do ask for something recent but I haven't had to write any pieces in a long time!

hey there! I was offered a place from Philip Lee, feel free to message for any advice! I found the process much less stressful to other TC applications and it was really quick as well.

I sent off my undergraduate dissertation from 2019 if that's any help. I'd say your thesis would be fine :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Hazel774

A lot of TC’s start in April/May (doing your first seat before blackhall). And it would already be tight enough after a March sitting given they correct the exams at a glacial pace.

So people starting TCs in April/May (myself included) wouldn’t have an opportunity to repeat before starting the TC if they postpone the March sitting. But it is also unfair on others if they don’t postpone, like the fact that they tried to do everything in their power to hold the last ones in October despite the previous sitting going on until mid August was ridiculous!

At the end of the day, whether they postpone it or not will be dictated by covid, not by consideration for candidates or our mental health/ sanity.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement