Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 LawStudent1234

What time does everyone think the results will be out? I can’t take not knowing

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Kellyg248

Can anyone shed light in thier online exam experience please? I've read the outline on the Law Society web page, just loking for personal experience

K 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

Kellyg248 wrote: »
    Can anyone shed light in thier online exam experience please? I've read the outline on the Law Society web page, just loking for personal experience

K 😊

I found it good! Didn’t have any issues with it. I still would have preferred writing to typing. It felt like, once I had an answer complete, I hadn’t enough. Whereas if that answer had been in writing, I would have been confident I had enough down. That was the only thing for me really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Fe7

Kellyg248 wrote: »

K ��

I personally liked it better than writing in person. There were downfalls though.

Positives: Not living near Dublin or Cork, I didn't need to pay for transportation or a hotel which saved me almost 900EUR in all.

You can copy and paste within the exam which saves time re-writing intros, info from the Q. Your thoughts can be laid out faster when typing than writing. Legible, so less of a chance examiner misses or can't understand something and thus hopefully no lost marks. Also, depending on the questions/topic you can copy/paste case notes within that you already wrote in another question.

The first exam you very well may need the extra 30 minutes to get comfortable with the system and for your motor skills to adapt. However by the second exam the 30 minutes serves as an extra 30 minutes you can allot to your questions.

If you have a browser that supports spell-check, you can use that to aid spelling.

You're in the comfort of your own home, if this is already comfortable.

Cons: Not many from my side but some people had tech difficulties. Not knowing if the grids were of any use because I was unsure if the examiners would have made harder due to the extra time we had in the end (that was more covid-related), or if they were going to make it easier as it was a new method of exam writing. Oh yeah.. and having to wait 9 weeks for results.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 laworlawww

If I had to guess I'd say after lunchtime anyways, for August we randomly got an email around 4.15pm saying they were out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Iso_123

Under normal circumstances they're released at 10 but you get an email the week before to tell you this. For August they weren't out until like late afternoon and with no warning so it really could be any time. Im not even sure if they will be out tomorrow. has anyone been in contact with the LS to confirm this will be the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

Iso_123 wrote: »
    Under normal circumstances they're released at 10 but you get an email the week before to tell you this. For August they weren't out until like late afternoon and with no warning so it really could be any time. Im not even sure if they will be out tomorrow. has anyone been in contact with the LS to confirm this will be the case?

I was, they said they ‘hope’ for the results to be out tomorrow and that’s the plan

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭FE1new

Would anyone have condensed notes for Tort and Contact? I have been really sick and am way behind on study with only a few weeks to go. I have good notes, sample answers and papers in Criminal, Property, Equity and EU to swap!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭maggie95

Fe7 wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback. I think they should refund the re-check fee when it does result in a change.

They do refund if your result changes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Hazel774

Not knowing is killing me!! I don't want to get up early in the morning in case they don't come out until late afternoon and then I just sit worrying for the whole day haha
    Especially since they mightn't even be out tomorrow!

Edit: I emailed a while back and they said the 'provisional' date was Monday 11th, but if they were still planning on releasing them on Monday I assume they would have updated the website, even if just to remove the line saying we'll get an email a week in advance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ihatethesea

Hi Guys, does anyone have a Constitutional and/or Company grid ? I have grids in all other subjects, some not completely up to date but up until 2019 at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Hamerzan Sickles

Whatever time the results are released tomorrow, there's a lot of usernames I recognise here and I just want to say something. The FE1s are notoriously difficult exams. We had to sit them in the most difficult circumstances that anyone has had to sit them in since they were first introduced in the nineties (I think they were introduced in the nineties anyway). Hopefully I'll receive good news tomorrow and I'll never have to sit them again and I will be able to move on with my life. If I don't, or if anyone reading this isn't where they want to be by this time tomorrow, I would urge you not to lose hope. Persist and persevere. That's all these exams really require. To have sat them in this year of all years and given them your best shot is a great achievement in itself and is a testament to your individual will and character.

Good luck tomorrow. I tend not to stick around for the post-analysis so it's unlikely you'll hear from me then.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ihatethesea

Also, if anyone has any advice on how to tackle constitutional id be so so appreciative of it, ive just been looking back at previous comments from people who sat it last round and its really frightened me in respect of workload and complexity. Is there a certain amount of topics that you absolutely have to study, can you leave any out at all? and if so, what are the absolute musts?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

jus_me wrote: »
    I was, they said they ‘hope’ for the results to be out tomorrow and that’s the plan

Simply not good enough, they've had 9 weeks and a nice Christmas break for themselves to get them released on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

I see A&L Goodbody have their summer internship, and their TC applications open.

Are there any other places that have opened theirs? The legal vacancies website isn't updated often at all since there's zero mention of A&L Goodbody at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 maewest19

Maples Calder!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭EmmaO94

Hey guys, just canvassing opinion on the case note q in Constitutional - I know for EU no one touched it with a bargepole really, is that the same for Constitutional? Or is it worth putting time in to prepare for it?

EmmaO94 wrote: »
    Hey guys, just canvassing opinion on the case note q in Constitutional - I know for EU no one touched it with a bargepole really, is that the same for Constitutional? Or is it worth putting time in to prepare for it?

It's pretty unpredictable, but it's not impossible. He tends to include some of the recent big cases which you will probably have studied anyway and then some older seminal cases e.g. McGee / Norris cases etc.

I didn't end up answering it on the day as I only knew one of the cases well, 2 of them I didn't have in my notes at all and then for the last one I only had around 3-4 lines in my notes.
    But the way I had prepared for it was to look at a few sample case notes, have the structure of a case note learned off (like background/ facts/ decision/ impact/ change in law etc.) and then when I was making notes for each topic every time I came across a recent important case or a seminal case I'd make note of it and plan out in my head how I'd do a case note on it.

Even though I didn't answer that question on the exam, I'd still advise having an idea of how you'd answer it, as I imagine it's a good question to start with if you have 2 of the cases. And you will know most of the big/important recent cases anyway as they are referenced throughout the exam paper - that's basically the only thing that's predictable with constitutional, he will focus on recent cases.

Basically, my advice is not to waste too much time preparing hundreds of case notes, but have a general structure/ approach in mind and then if you recognise two of the cases on the day it would be handy enough. Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭legallyginger

Creol1 wrote: »
    Where would I find my candidate ID? I was registered with the website separate to the FE-1 so I used that account to apply but I see now that there is a different account for FE-1 students which I hadn't noticed till now.

Wondering has anyone who didnt get a candidate ID from the LS because of the online sitting get in touch to see how we get the results?

Hazel774 wrote: »
    It's pretty unpredictable, but it's not impossible. He tends to include some of the recent big cases which you will probably have studied anyway and then some older seminal cases e.g. McGee / Norris cases etc.

I didn't end up answering it on the day as I only knew one of the cases well, 2 of them I didn't have in my notes at all and then for the last one I only had around 3-4 lines in my notes.
    But the way I had prepared for it was to look at a few sample case notes, have the structure of a case note learned off (like background/ facts/ decision/ impact/ change in law etc.) and then when I was making notes for each topic every time I came across a recent important case or a seminal case I'd make note of it and plan out in my head how I'd do a case note on it.

Even though I didn't answer that question on the exam, I'd still advise having an idea of how you'd answer it, as I imagine it's a good question to start with if you have 2 of the cases. And you will know most of the big/important recent cases anyway as they are referenced throughout the exam paper - that's basically the only thing that's predictable with constitutional, he will focus on recent cases.

Basically, my advice is not to waste too much time preparing hundreds of case notes, but have a general structure/ approach in mind and then if you recognise two of the cases on the day it would be handy enough. Hope that helps!

This is super helpful thank you! Thanks for taking the time to answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

Wondering has anyone who didnt get a candidate ID from the LS because of the online sitting get in touch to see how we get the results?

I emailed, no answer....I wil let you know if I hear anything. It is going to be frustrating tomorrow if they release the results and people who have no candidate ID's can't acces them! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ann1994

Fe7 wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback. I think they should refund the re-check fee when it does result in a change.

Yes if you pass on the recheck you get the recheck fee refunded too!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Spreece

EmmaO94 wrote: »

Constitutional case note is unpredictable and hard to score points on. However the EU case note question is completely predictable and, with more than a hint of hyperbole, is probably the easiest question in the entire FE-1. Read the exam reports, the examiner says exactly what he is looking for. The cases are memorable and interesting. You can easily prepare about 6 to 8 cases and be sure that you will have covered 3 that are on the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Spreece

Constitutional November paper was:
    • Essay on Standing - specifically jus tertii (with reference to Mohan v Ireland and P v Judges of CC)
    • PQ on FO Expression (journalistic sources) I think it was mixed with a bit on exercise of judicial power/SOP
    • Essay on Kerins v McGuinness and O'Brien v Clerk of Dail Eireann re SOP
    • A PQ involving an Act of Oireachtas re fishing in Irish waters – (didn’t do this Q)
    • Essay on Right to Earn a Livelihood
    • PQ involving delegation of powers to a minister (I think! didn’t do that Q)
    • PQ involving someone with mental health issues detained in hospital against his will - Q asked to advise on challenging the process which led to detention . (I answered on liberty, Art 40 applications & right to life but not sure if that was 100%)
    • And the usual case note question

No question on AG/ President or Interpretation :(

Great summary and as I recall there was some debate about what topic was being examined in at least two and maybe three of the questions.

It was a complete pig of a paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Hamerzan Sickles

Constitutional November paper was:
    • Essay on Standing - specifically jus tertii (with reference to Mohan v Ireland and P v Judges of CC)
    • PQ on FO Expression (journalistic sources) I think it was mixed with a bit on exercise of judicial power/SOP
    • Essay on Kerins v McGuinness and O'Brien v Clerk of Dail Eireann re SOP
    • A PQ involving an Act of Oireachtas re fishing in Irish waters – (didn’t do this Q)
    • Essay on Right to Earn a Livelihood
    • PQ involving delegation of powers to a minister (I think! didn’t do that Q)
    • PQ involving someone with mental health issues detained in hospital against his will - Q asked to advise on challenging the process which led to detention . (I answered on liberty, Art 40 applications & right to life but not sure if that was 100%)
    • And the usual case note question

No question on AG/ President or Interpretation :(

In retrospect, this was the worst FE1 paper that was set in recent years I think. If anyone remembers the discussion on this thread after it, I don't think anyone was happy with it or had managed to answer all five questions.

In retrospect, this was the worst FE1 paper that was set in recent years I think. If anyone remembers the discussion on this thread after it, I don't think anyone was happy with it or had managed to answer all five questions.

Yea I agree, it was pretty horrible! There was a lot of confusion afterwards on what some of the questions were even asking
    Feeling extremely nervous for the results of this one!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭FE1new

I am actually bricking it this morning waiting on the results (that's if they are even are released). :(

There goes my concentration in work for the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Lovestolisten

Anyone hear of the results are being issued today ??
    This is so unfair , leaving everyone hanging.
    How do you prep for repeats?

Kids home from school , working from home .. things are hard enough without all this uncertainty.

Anyone hear of the results are being issued today ??
    This is so unfair , leaving everyone hanging.
    How do you prep for repeats?

Kids home from school , working from home .. things are hard enough without all this uncertainty.

The not knowing is the worst part :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Iso_123

When I click on the results link, my august sitting results are still there.. Does anyone think this means that we might not get the results today? The website still hasn't been updated either! What a joke honestly

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement