Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Machinery Photo/Discussion Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Reggie. wrote: »
    I'd say I'm stalled atm. I'm gonna hit a junction in a few years where I'll either have to start a baling outfit or curl back the grass side of things

Why would you have to give up the grass work. Are the lads baling looking to do all the work

• Registered Users Posts: 24,381 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Why would you have to give up the grass work. Are the lads baling looking to do all the work

No I currently mow and rake for 2 baling outfits. Both men are near 64 years old now so I cant see them going at it much longer. They cut back using thier own mowers when I came along

• Registered Users Posts: 11,089 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Not true. I'm reseeding and doing slurry in plenty of places that have upto three different contractors in a year doing different jobs.

Also out my way theres no contractor that does everything from slurry to silage to reseeding to hedgecutting. Everyone seems to be scaling back.

Is there not a message in that for you too

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

No I currently mow and rake for 2 baling outfits. Both men are near 64 years old now so I cant see them going at it much longer. They cut back using thier own mowers when I came along

From a customer s point of view i would like one to do the whole job or at least responsible for organizing it.in other words if i want bales made ,i want to ring one fella and thats it i dont want to be saying its mowed now and the balerman is coming this evening so will you rake it or trying arrange a supermove after baling.one fella might be late and then your are back and forth to everyone.the days of lads moving their own bales is fast disappearing. On a side note large local baler(3 sometimes 4 fusions) has decided to buy a straight baler and loader mounted wrapper. The reason is he is moving so many bales with his 2 super moves and stacking them now he finds easier to mind the bales moving them green and wrap at storage

K.G. wrote: »
    From a customer s point of view i would like one to do the whole job or at least responsible for organizing it.in other words if i want bales made ,i want to ring one fella and thats it i dont want to be saying its mowed now and the balerman is coming this evening so will you rake it or trying arrange a supermove after baling.one fella might be late and then your are back and forth to everyone.the days of lads moving their own bales is fast disappearing. On a side note large local baler(3 sometimes 4 fusions) has decided to buy a straight baler and loader mounted wrapper. The reason is he is moving so many bales with his 2 super moves and stacking them now he finds easier to mind the bales moving them green and wrap at storage

No that is all the one. Most outfits will cover all aspects of a job.

I meant very few outfits out there now that will come do your slurry, then your silage then your hedgecutting and any reseeding in between.

• Advertisement

wrangler wrote: »
    Is there not a message in that for you too

Well I very well can't scale back any more than a 1 man band

No that is all the one. Most outfits will cover all aspects of a job.

I meant very few outfits out there now that will come do your slurry, then your silage then your hedgecutting and any reseeding in between.

But how do the larger sfp oufits justify the tractors or get staff they need if they are not doing other work as well through the year.trailering grass for sfp outfits is a waste of time at the rates that are going so unless you can get a plentiful supply of young bucks driving daddy's tractor you ll have to keep at least 4 or 5 tractors

K.G. wrote: »
    But how do the larger sfp oufits justify the tractors or get staff they need if they are not doing other work as well through the year.trailering grass for sfp outfits is a waste of time at the rates that are going so unless you can get a plentiful supply of young bucks driving daddy's tractor you ll have to keep at least 4 or 5 tractors

If you read above you'll see I mentioned that they could do slurry also.

Well around here the main SP outfit only does silage and maize. Nothing else.

They have about 5 tractors. 2 SP. All the trailers mowers and rakes. Hires in what tractors are needed after that. Think they might be on the odd dump trailer and lowloader over the winter.

But this is the arguement about going forward. A farmer may want to have a contractor that does it all but it just makes more sense to specialize in certain areas for contractors in the future as less overheads for them as an individual. The rates arent there for it atm.

Sure how many outfits have be seen over the last few years that packed up but were considered the best of the best or too big to fail.

Ya never know what's going on behind closed doors. I know one contractor in the Midlands who needs to make finance payments of 30000 a month and that's before wages and diesel. Now he has a sizable fleet but just one hiccup could sink a man like that

Just spotted that helmut claas has passed away.rip

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭jaymla627

If you read above you'll see I mentioned that they could do slurry also.

Well around here the main SP outfit only does silage and maize. Nothing else.

They have about 5 tractors. 2 SP. All the trailers mowers and rakes. Hires in what tractors are needed after that. Think they might be on the odd dump trailer and lowloader over the winter.

But this is the arguement about going forward. A farmer may want to have a contractor that does it all but it just makes more sense to specialize in certain areas for contractors in the future as less overheads for them as an individual. The rates arent there for it atm.

Sure how many outfits have be seen over the last few years that packed up but were considered the best of the best or too big to fail.

Ya never know what's going on behind closed doors. I know one contractor in the Midlands who needs to make finance payments of 30000 a month and that's before wages and diesel. Now he has a sizable fleet but just one hiccup could sink a man like that

Cutest lad I’ve seen is the wagon man here, has a big krone wagon 2 tractors and a rake, dosent do any mowing and has another lad hired in with his loader for pit, he’s averaging 1300-1400 acres a year and his cousin puts on a second wagon for bigger jobs and he helps him out at his silage in return, he is at digger work year round as well as a one man band, owns all the gear outright bar the wagon and a new 6215r he bought this year which he had 70k of a deposit towards as traded in a very fresh 6190r he had payed off

• Advertisement

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Cutest lad I’ve seen is the wagon man here, has a big krone wagon 2 tractors and a rake, dosent do any mowing and has another lad hired in with his loader for pit, he’s averaging 1300-1400 acres a year and his cousin puts on a second wagon for bigger jobs and he helps him out at his silage in return, he is at digger work year round as well as a one man band, owns all the gear outright bar the wagon and a new 6215r he bought this year which he had 70k of a deposit towards as traded in a very fresh 6190r he had payed off

That could be the future there. Contractors pairing up as needed. Itll weed out the real hungry lads

Well I very well can't scale back any more than a 1 man band

Sorry My post was a bit ambiguous, An optimist might read it that in a few years demand should move up

That could be the future there. Contractors pairing up as needed. Itll weed out the real hungry lads

It is sometimes said that the worst ship to sail in is the “partnership”.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

It is sometimes said that the worst ship to sail in is the “partnership”.

I wouldn't go into partnership for love nor money. You would seldom see a good one or one that lasts too long.

jaymla627 wrote: »

Alot of symmetry going on there as i presume the tractor pulls the digger and does the dump trailer work so the wagon is helping to pay for the tractor and the loader guy probably has the loader for winter feeding anyway.mentally too the silage is a change from the 360.if they can pull away together theres alot of sense to it.around some contrators work with each other and more dont.

Bullocks wrote: »
    I wouldn't go into partnership for love nor money. You would seldom see a good one or one that lasts too long.

The secret is dont sweat the small stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I can very much see the logic of specialized slurry contractors ,there's a mad panic to get slurry out first thing in spring , and then that's going to continue all the way up to the close of season ... If you are the customer wanting to get slurry out now now then you don't want to hear that the tractors are flat out drawing silage ,or sowing corn or whatever ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Thinging of buying a pallet fork for front tractor loader. Anything to watch out for other than fork length?

timple23 wrote: »
    Thinging of buying a pallet fork for front tractor loader. Anything to watch out for other than fork length?

You'd definitely need the CE standard ON it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Odelay

1.2m long.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Markcheese wrote: »
    I can very much see the logic of specialized slurry contractors ,there's a mad panic to get slurry out first thing in spring , and then that's going to continue all the way up to the close of season ... If you are the customer wanting to get slurry out now now then you don't want to hear that the tractors are flat out drawing silage ,or sowing corn or whatever ...

I think hedge cutting and slurry would dovetail well together for a one man band. There's only about 2 months of the year when both jobs can be done.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Do you get paid separately by the farmer or do the baling outfits pay you when they get paid?
    Any point in you getting a fusion and doing it all yourself? Would the ground suit the fusion, there is not 1 fusion near us - too big and heavy for the ground.

You were talking about buying another tractor recently, is that part of an expansion plan, or is that on ice now?

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Aravo

Am looking at getting one in the coming months. Try and get one that the frame that the loader bracket is connected to is good solid steel and not box channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

You'd definitely need the CE standard ON it

There's not much saving on pallet forks.

Quicke make them and then you're done wondering.
    Can stick on a log grab in the future then if one wanted.

There's not much saving on pallet forks.

Quicke make them and then you're done wondering.

I bought from PRODIG, it lifts as much as the tractor lifts anyway, should've had one years ago. only decided to buy it when I was buying a brush

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Do you keep all the mowing and tedding done with the one tractor, or do yu hire in a second one?

Do you get paid separately by the farmer or do the baling outfits pay you when they get paid?
    Any point in you getting a fusion and doing it all yourself? Would the ground suit the fusion, there is not 1 fusion near us - too big and heavy for the ground.

You were talking about buying another tractor recently, is that part of an expansion plan, or is that on ice now?

Some farmers get me in and pay me separately but mainly I bill the baling outfits themselves.

Still might buy a second machine for myself in the future. Something heavier for cultivation

jimmy G M wrote: »
    Do you keep all the mowing and tedding done with the one tractor, or do yu hire in a second one?

Yeah one machine does it all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭DBK1

Aravo wrote: »
    Am looking at getting one in the coming months. Try and get one that the frame that the loader bracket is connected to is good solid steel and not box channel.
    Exactly what I was going to say but then saw Aravo’s post. Make sure there’s no box iron used anywhere in the frame. Loader brackets straight onto a heavy plate is the only way to go. Otherwise you’re just depending on the strength of the box and that would be poor at best.

It’s something I want to get myself as well. I have a loan of a set from a friend that I got a few weeks ago for one small job and I don’t know how I’ll survive without them now when they go back! They’re used a few times a week every week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭josephsoap

I bought from PRODIG, it lifts as much as the tractor lifts anyway, should've had one years ago. only decided to buy it when I was buying a brush

What sort of money is a set ?

Advertisement