Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

I love how she is using the special needs kids to try make her point. SEN is so underfunded by the dept. The amount of different roles I undertake in relation to SEN that are all unpaid is laughable. Our ASD unit is a storage cabin.

Parents of SEN students will know this, but I will say it anyway - what is done in schools for SEN students is done by teachers (not politicians), often in their own time (not funded) and always because they care (not because they have their eye on the next election)

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭hesaidshesaid

Stateofyou wrote: »
    I honestly think it's in the best interest of my health and blood pressure that I don't listen. Glad for the commentary here..

You were better off away from it.

There's an argument for everyone to just take a deep breath and acknowledge that every last one of us here is dealing with a multi-layered, unprecedented scenario which has affected us in so many ways. We have all been on high alert since March 12th with a brief respite in the summer. It's a very long time to be dealing with the massive ups and downs we have all encountered. Maybe if we just accept that no one is capable of being their best self at the moment, we can meet each other with a bit more compassion.

Teachers are doing their best, SNAs are doing their best, parents are doing their best. Maybe even Norma is doing her best?!? Hmmmm.....

None of us can really believe that this is still going on. But eventually, it has to end. We just need to try to hold on to a bit of sanity and good humour until then.

Just to add, I was in a very different mood a couple of hours ago trying to figure out the inner workings of Seesaw and listening to a friend of mine rant down the phone at me about the (very significant) efforts her son's school is making to facilitate remote learning. Wine helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

All three utterly deny this is the case. Up to last week the INTO say they have only met her once.

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1347299423857074177

Also the Unions say they recieved a call telling them what was going to happen but no engagement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Lynn Door

Someone, albeit with a strong stomach needs to give her a real pearl necklace.
    Might loosen her up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭penny piper

This interviewer is not doing great. She's shrinking before Norma's teacher tone. Sarah McInerney would be better.

Norma loves the word 'indeed.'

I thought she did a terrible job interviewing Foley...she could have pressed her
    several times on the questions that were put to her..instead she allowed her to waffle on about the safety of schools...she should have asked her about the Government's u turn....she should have asked her about the new varient....I don't know why she asked her about nursing homes.....It's quite obvious this lady should not be the Minister and has no regards for Teachers/students....oh and why does she still insist the leaving cert can go ahead as normal? knowing full well that this will most likely not take place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Sure but so did many from many walks of life

That doesn't change the fact that for the second time since March we are failing to provide education to the most vulnerable children in Irish society

Schools in Derry can do it but 5km over the border in Donegal we can't apparently

By failing to provide an education for your child the government is actually in breach of the Irish constitution which clearly states that all children must receive an adequate education

By failing to provide an education for your child the government is actually in breach of the Irish constitution which clearly states that all children must receive an adequate education

Does it mention a pandemic? Also it has not been updated to account for online learning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Says the state will provide for an education. Not with an education. There's a distinct difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

Hopefully a solution in the works for Special Education

https://twitter.com/apike1/status/1347295516208607237?s=19

Incorrect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Hopefully a solution in the works for Special Education

https://twitter.com/apike1/status/1347295516208607237?s=19

I'll wait to see the details but that's a bit better

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Whenseptends

Why doesn't the interviewer ask her if she'd be comfortable sitting in a room with 25 other people for 6 hrs

That would be teachers doing they're job.
    Just like other front line workers.

khalessi wrote: »
    Does it mention a pandemic? Also it has not been updated to account for online learning

For most special needs children, online learning just doesn't cut it, so the state is essentially providing an education for everyone except the must vulnerable in our society, the state still has an obligation whether theres a pandemic or not

hmm

I'm as angry as anybody at the moment but no court would rule that way esp if these times

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Lynn Door wrote: »
    Someone, albeit with a strong stomach needs to give her a real pearl necklace.
    Might loosen her up a bit.

Mod:

Threadbanned

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Folks, quit with the mocking of someone's personal appearance FFS - not really setting the right example with that sort of behaviour.

Smacruairi wrote: »
    Says the state will provide for an education. Not with an education. There's a distinct difference.

A 42 3.2 - The State shall, however, as guardian of the common good, require in view of actual conditions that the children receive a certain minimum education, moral, intellectual and social.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Smacruairi wrote: »

True. There’s no pleasing people. No decision would keep everyone happy.

Necro wrote: »
    Folks, quit with the mocking of someone's personal appearance FFS - not really setting the right example with that sort of behaviour.

A lot in here really showing their true colours, it really is embarrassing at this stage

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    I'll wait to see the details but that's a bit better

It is the head of a union looking to engage on this so hopefully a solution will be found.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

I must say some Teachers showing a real nasty streak on this forum!
    What has a persons dress sense got to do with you or this whole topic some nasty and immature comments posted here!
    It leaves a bad taste in the mouth!

For most special needs children, online learning just doesn't cut it, so the state is essentially providing an education for everyone except the must vulnerable in our society, the state still has an obligation whether theres a pandemic or not

Yes the state but you and other are giving out about teachers and SNAs not the state.

It was the DES that ****ed up there but the teachers and SNAs and other school staff will be criticised.

Are these children also getting physio, OT SLT and the other services they require face to face or have these been postponed or gone online.? My friend's child is having SLT online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

A 42 3.2 - The State shall, however, as guardian of the common good, require in view of actual conditions that the children receive a certain minimum education, moral, intellectual and social.

Yeah where does that say the state will provide them with an education? It requires them to get one, but with parent as the natural educator, the gets them off the hook for having to provide one.

The more you know

Yes the state but you and other are giving out about teachers and SNAs not the state.

It was the DES that ****ed up there but the teachers and SNAs and other school staff will be criticised.

Are these children also getting physio, OT SLT and the other services they require face to face or have these been postponed or gone online.? My friend's child is having SLT online.
    My child has been receiving these services at school!

It is the head of a union looking to engage on this so hopefully a solution will be found.

100%

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    My child has been receiving these services at school!

So have you spoken to them about what happens now?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,548 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I must say some Teachers showing a real nasty streak on this forum!
    What has a persons dress sense got to do with you or this whole topic some nasty and immature comments posted here!
    It leaves a bad taste in the mouth!

Some parents have interesting posts too of course.

I think teachers get tired of the bitching they get on social media on an ongoing basis.

Contrary to popular belief, they are only human and the vast majority do their best.

So have you spoken to them about what happens now?
    Its stops until the school re opens!

Well they should be offering advice too it is not solely down to the teacher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

So the school has said this to you?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement