Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

He didn't need to big anyone up.

Nor did he need to be an absolute cock about it. Yes, a cock.

The journalist asked the stupid question, the correct response was"that's a stupid question, next "

You should email Dan and tell him that. Also, explain to him why that's the "correct" answer. Otherwise he'll never learn.

• Administrators Posts: 53,505 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

He should also have mentioned that Leo has Stu there to hold his hand as well.

Expensive squad, expensive coaching ticket. Big spenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

launish116 wrote: »
    Dublin solicitors drafting letters demanding a retraction as we speak

There's going to be some epic horseplay in the Supreme Court.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

"Oh no, they're calling us RICH again".

awec wrote: »
    He should also have mentioned that Leo has Stu there to hold his hand as well.

Expensive squad, expensive coaching ticket. Big spenders.

ON THE IRFU'S DIME!

WHERE'S ULSTER'S STUART LANCASTER?

• Advertisement

"Oh no, they're calling us RICH again".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue7wM0QC5LE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭launish116

ON THE IRFU'S DIME!

WHERE'S ULSTER'S STUART LANCASTER?

Dan Sober has a teaching background

(Joking aside couldn’t be happier for Lancaster, seems like a nice)

"Dan Sober" is an excellent autocorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Not that I am not completely unaware what you're doing, but how would one lead to the other?

YOUR BURN MAKES NO SENSE

Ulster rugby is just as much the preserve of historical rugby schools and the old boys clubs that surround them as Leinster is. The only problem is that Leinster are better at it. McFarland is just crying about that.

At least when someone like Joey Carberry emerges in a non-traditional area of Leinster, he has a chance of getting invited into the club. And Leinster youths is way way better at bringing guys through from non-traditional areas than Ulster are.

I’d love it if the whole thing could be blown up and started again in both provinces. But it’s hilarious that anyone in Ulster could think they’re in a place to take a shot at Leinster’s reliance on the schools system.

It was a stupid question. McFarland used a stupid question to create a bit of controversy and build a bit of interest in the game, fair play to him. Just the bit about schools is fairly hypocritical on its own merits.

Ulster rugby is just as much the preserve of historical rugby schools and the old boys clubs that surround them as Leinster is. The only problem is that Leinster are better at it. McFarland is just crying about that.

At least when someone like Joey Carberry emerges in a non-traditional area of Leinster, he has a chance of getting invited into the club. And Leinster youths is way way better at bringing guys through from non-traditional areas than Ulster are.

I’d love it if the whole thing could be blown up and started again in both provinces. But it’s hilarious that anyone in Ulster could think they’re in a place to take a shot at Leinster’s reliance on the schools system.

It was a stupid question. McFarland used a stupid question to create a bit of controversy and build a bit of interest in the game, fair play to him. Just the bit about schools is fairly hypocritical on its own merits.

Apples & oranges surely.

Big difference from Belfast big schools dominating school rugby in Ulster and Leinster schools recruiting players specifically for rugby glory. Maybe I’m being naive but surely large fee paying school offering bursaries to players from non traditional areas is more the School priorities than offering opportunities to the player. If that is common practice in Ulster do inform me.

• Advertisement

Why the hell would McFarland need to "build a bit of interest in the game"? You are aware what's at stake this game, right?

It's more likely that his honest opinion is that the sheer amount of money sloshing around in Leinster schools makes it hard for him to feel sorry for poor aul' Leo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Apples & oranges surely.

Big difference from Belfast big schools dominating school rugby in Ulster and Leinster schools recruiting players specifically for rugby glory. Maybe I’m being naive but surely large fee paying school offering bursaries to players from non traditional areas is more the School priorities than offering opportunities to the player. If that is common practice in Ulster do inform me.

It happened with Blackrock and Roscrea in Leinster until they brought in rules to prevent it, Conor Oliver, the Wycherley brothers, Carbery, Loughman all current pros where that occured. Probably others i'm forgetting. To say most leinster schools do it would be incorrect.

off the top of my head, Chris Farrell & Tom O'Toole were brought into Campbell, Stewart Moore to Ballymena.

Why the hell would McFarland need to "build a bit of interest in the game"? You are aware what's at stake this game, right?

It's more likely that his honest opinion is that the sheer amount of money sloshing around in Leinster schools makes it hard for him to feel sorry for poor aul' Leo.

You realise coaches have been saying controversial things in the build up to big games since the dawn of professional sports right?

Leo has done it himself

bayern wrote: »
    It happened with Blackrock and Roscrea in Leinster until they brought in rules to prevent it, Conor Oliver, the Wycherley brothers, Carbery, Loughman all current pros where that occured. Probably others i'm forgetting.

off the top of my head, Chris Farrell & Tom O'Toole were brought into Campbell, Stewart Moore to Ballymena.

Knew about Moore moving but was under the Impression that was for more rugby exposure with Ballymena. Not a case of player poaching or bursaries being used to seek a better player. Could be wrong, never knew Farrell & O’Toole did something similar.

Still think Dans comments were an honest answer to a stupid question. We can all look on like green eyed monsters. We’d all love our big school to invest and produce like Leinster schools..

You realise coaches have been saying controversial things in the build up to big games since the dawn of professional sports right?

Leo has done it himself

Nothing controversial about this.

Apples & oranges surely.

I agree it’s the schools priority. Almost always that’ll be the case. The kids also want to play rugby at the highest level they can of course.

I’m not from Dublin so I’ve no idea how the likes of Michael’s make those decisions. My club pulls almost all of its players from local public (ie free) schools. We’ve lost good players to big schools and also big clubs. We were brought up to hate the likes of blackrock and Michael’s from a much earlier age than you lot. You merely adopted the darkness.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,763 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I dont think Leinster are that bothered about it...realistically we should know our place when it comes to Irish rugby's aristocrats from D4.

Nothing controversial about this.

Seems pretty controversial to me!

Seems pretty controversial to me!

Seems like a perfectly accurate representation of rugby in Leinster. It is hard for everyone else to compete with the Dublin oligarchs.

The truth is never controversial, irishbucsfans.

Seems like a perfectly accurate representation of rugby in Leinster. It is hard for everyone else to compete with the Dublin oligarchs.

The truth is never controversial, irishbucsfans.

You can say something that is true and be controversial. Especially when you’re being hypocritical.

It’s especially controversial when you’re talking about a head coach who it absolutely applies to!

I’d love to know who Ulsters equivalent to Shane Horgan, Tadgh Furlong or Sean O’Brien is?

When was the last time Ulster had a club player capped by Ireland?

• Advertisement

You can say something that is true and be controversial. Especially when you’re being hypocritical.

It’s especially controversial when you’re talking about a head coach who it absolutely applies to!

I’d love to know who Ulsters equivalent to Shane Horgan, Tadgh Furlong or Sean O’Brien is?

Few weeks ago, Eric OSullivan.

He went to a Dublin rugby school!

He went to a Dublin rugby school!

Not the rich ones though.

the ulster accent must have really changed with all those dubs up north.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Bahahaha, using a Dublin born and bred player to say that Ulster bring guys through their club system. Thats gas.

Of course I know you're being technically accurate with that statement as he was a club guy. It just wasn't an Ulster club, which is kind of relevant to the discussion at hand.

As for the question and answer, it was a particularly stupid question but I dont think Dan needed to talk about people from rich families the way he did. I know what he is trying to do, but its a bit crass really. As IBF said, its not like most of the Ulster squad are from backgrounds that are any different really. Both sides are predominantly made up of guys from well to do backgrounds. Both sides have guys in their squad not from backgrounds like that. It is hypocritical of him, no two ways about it.

The difference here, and what Dan seems to be trying to do, is gee up the likes of the EOSs a bit. I get that. But that doesn't make it any less crass.

That said, it was a stupid question. Why would anyone feel sorry for Leinster or anyone in the Leinster set-up? Seriously, who asks questions like that?

molloyjh wrote: »
    Bahahaha, using a Dublin born and bred player to say that Ulster bring guys through their club system. Thats gas.

Of course I know you're being technically accurate with that statement as he was a club guy. It just wasn't an Ulster club, which is kind of relevant to the discussion at hand.

As for the question and answer, it was a particularly stupid question but I dont think Dan needed to talk about people from rich families the way he did. I know what he is trying to do, but its a bit crass really. As IBF said, its not like most of the Ulster squad are from backgrounds that are any different really. Both sides are predominantly made up of guys from well to do backgrounds. Both sides have guys in their squad not from backgrounds like that. It is hypocritical of him, no two ways about it.

The difference here, and what Dan seems to be trying to do, is gee up the likes of the EOSs a bit. I get that. But that doesn't make it any less crass.

That said, it was a stupid question. Why would anyone feel sorry for Leinster or anyone in the Leinster set-up? Seriously, who asks questions like that?

a journo trying to rile Sober up and get a decent quote.

Not the rich ones though.

Yeah. I didn’t ask who was the last player who went to a fairly rubbish rugby school capped by Ulster! I went to one of those, you still get fed through the Leinster Schools setup

I think if you lads got a list of Ulster players who didn’t go to fee paying schools you’d be surprised.

It would be pretty much all of them.

McCloskey? He was club background wasn’t he?

Out of curiosity when we say fee paying school? We talking thousands per term? Or we talking the old compulsory voluntary grammar school top up of several hundred Pounds a year.

• Advertisement

McCloskey? He was club background wasn’t he?

Out of curiosity when we say fee paying school? We talking thousands per term? Or we talking the old compulsory voluntary grammar school top up of several hundred Pounds a year.

The former.

Advertisement