Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Dunno. Hope not obviously, but couldn't begrudge him. Would be less concerned if we could keep a hold of Mathewson.

Mathewson is great but he's also 35. He's not someone you want as a starter for the majority of games.

The money likely received in the Coetzee settlement might be used at 9 but hopefully Cooney can be retained. Foreign players are not as plentiful in France anymore due to restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,793 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Yeah, I wpuld say that losing Cooney would be worse.

If Coetzee goes then we will save a years contract and will receive some sort of compensation from the Bulls, the IRFU should allow us to sign a NIQ No.8 given they had already agreed we could have one next season. We can probably bring a Leinster back row in, plus we have Dave McCann coming through.

Losing Cooney would be a disaster. Leinster and Munster both have two European standard 9s, but none of them are likely to move (and nor should they), Doak is the big hope, but he is miles off at the moment.

Hopefully the Cooney chat is just rumours

Regards Stockdale and Henderson...I'd be astonished if either moved, if they do move we are in more financial trouble than any of us could imagine.

• Administrators Posts: 53,674 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Cooney might actually have been shopping around in France while awaiting the outcome of the IRFUs block on renewals, waiting to see if they try lowball him.

I’m hoping that’s what it is anyway.

awec wrote: »
    Cooney might actually have been shopping around in France while awaiting the outcome of the IRFUs block on renewals, waiting to see if they try lowball him.

I’m hoping that’s what it is anyway.

Thinking the same...more power to him, he's out of contract and entitled to do it

bilston wrote: »
    Thinking the same...more power to him, he's out of contract and entitled to do it

If I was Cooney I’d be giving serious thought to it. Go to France, earn more money, play in a better league, experience life over there.

He’s not going to get many caps for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭RuPi

Is he out of contract?

Anything I can find says he signed a 3 year extension to his original deal taking him up-to end of 2022 season.

Couldn’t blame him for cashing in though, he was one of Europe’s form players in March and could get more cash in France. It would leave Ulster very short, you would probably have to be looking a NIQ 9 to cover for a few years until one of Doak or Finlay make the step up.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/45436404

Oh, if he's still in contract that's another story.

I'd say the rumour is bollocks in that case.

RuPi wrote: »
    Is he out of contract?

Anything I can find says he signed a 3 year extension to his original deal taking him up-to end of 2022 season.

Couldn’t blame him for cashing in though, he was one of Europe’s form players in March and could get more cash in France. It would leave Ulster very short, you would probably have to be looking a NIQ 9 to cover for a few years until one of Doak or Finlay make the step up.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/45436404

I just assumed he was given the chat.

If he isn't then feck it, he isnt entitled to shop around!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭launish116

Really don’t see Cooney going anywhere! I think the initial UAFC post was just stirring.

Twitter rumblings, Coetzee & Carter still going through return to protocols! Mighten be ready for Munster.

I can't find that damn UAFC post.

• Advertisement

launish116 wrote: »
    Really don’t see Cooney going anywhere! I think the initial UAFC post was just stirring.

Twitter rumblings, Coetzee & Carter still going through return to protocols! Mighten be ready for Munster.

Won't happen, but start McCann!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

I can't find that damn UAFC post.

Raver's Rumours, Transfer Rumours!! p 967

No idea about poster - entirely possible a WUM

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Raver's Rumours, Transfer Rumours!! p 967

No idea about poster - entirely possible a WUM
    Can't speak for poster but dont think Sue who backed it up is a WUM. Think they've been right before.

Won't happen, but start McCann!

Can only dream! Leinster away really will dictate how the rest of the season goes!

damianmcr wrote: »
    Can't speak for poster but dont think Sue who backed it up is a WUM. Think they've been right before.

Did the IRFU decide as a matter of policy that players 30+ would only get contracts of one year at a time? I know there was talk of it. Might be the issue.

Did the IRFU decide as a matter of policy that players 30+ would only get contracts of one year at a time? I know there was talk of it. Might be the issue.

Was that not for imports?

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Yeah imports only as far as I know.

Well, that's a bit of a relief.

Let's just get through our crushing disappointments one at a time, shall we?

Well, that's a bit of a relief.

Let's just get through our crushing disappointments one at a time, shall we?

Wait till the Henderson to France rumours start to bump up negotiations

Someone being quite clear on their sources on UAFC.

What I will say is that if the IRFU's finances are as banjaxed as predicted, other provinces might have similar news in the coming months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

If I was Cooney I’d take the offer. Seems unlikely he will be in Farrell’s plans going forward while still in the prime of his career, he’s in the perfect position to take advantage of the opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Someone being quite clear on their sources on UAFC.

What I will say is that if the IRFU's finances are as banjaxed as predicted, other provinces might have similar news in the coming months.

I'd say this is almost certainly going to be the case across the board. Players that the IRFU/provinces want to retain are going to either have to accept a pay cut or leave. There might not be an abundance of big offers out there, but a good few sugar daddies will be insulated enough from this that there will be a few clubs that can make hay over the next few years.

UAEguy2020 wrote: »
    If I was Cooney I’d take the offer. Seems unlikely he will be in Farrell’s plans going forward while still in the prime of his career, he’s in the perfect position to take advantage of the opportunity.

Which is fine...but the point here is he has a year left on his contract.

Private money is the only way forward for the sport.

Which is fine...but the point here is he has a year left on his contract.

Exactly 1 year left. Really can’t see it happening on a business/financial or personal level. Just rumours and stirring.

Even if it was semi true, be deja vu still no homegrown No9 developed.

Keep saying we almost need to have IRFU punish/force us to develop. Yet we still haven’t.

launish116 wrote: »
    Exactly 1 year left. Really can’t see it happening on a business/financial or personal level. Just rumours and stirring.

Even if it was semi true, be deja vu still no homegrown No9 developed.

Keep saying we almost need to have IRFU punish/force us to develop. Yet we still haven’t.

Funny thing is when Pienaar was forced to leave we had two young 9s coming through in Jonny Stewart and Rhys O'Donnell, Stewart was preferred to O'Donnell (probably mistakenly) and never quite made it.

Now if Cooney leaves, we once again have two prospects in Nathan Doak and Lewis Finlay...with any luck they'll back both horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Funny thing is when Pienaar was forced to leave we had two young 9s coming through in Jonny Stewart and Rhys O'Donnell, Stewart was preferred to O'Donnell (probably mistakenly) and never quite made it.

Now if Cooney leaves, we once again have two prospects in Nathan Doak and Lewis Finlay...with any luck they'll back both horses.

and Conor McKee who was in irish u20 camp last week.

Rhys O'Donnell was still staring in the AIL last season and is still young at 22.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Finlay looks very good and Doak has a lot of good press. If they can wring every last drop out of AM for 1-2 years, then they might be ok. I'd probably have Matthewson ahead of Cooney at this point but he simply doesn't have the legs that Cooney does.

Cooney turns 31 this season. If he's ever going to move, this is it. He's a goal kicking scrum half. I've no doubt he has a couple of French suitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Private money is the only way forward for the sport.

Firstly, unions are mostly funded by private money. The professional game is almost entirely funded by private money, the public funding is targeted at grassroots level.

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with the IRFU’s finances long term. The problem is they lost their revenue for a year and they need to climb out of that hole now. And actually, completely contrary to your point, it would be public money that would be the most efficient way for them to do that, but I can’t see that happening yet.

• Advertisement

Buer wrote: »
    Finlay looks very good and Doak has a lot of good press. If they can wring every last drop out of AM for 1-2 years, then they might be ok. I'd probably have Matthewson ahead of Cooney at this point but he simply doesn't have the legs that Cooney does.

Cooney turns 31 this season. If he's ever going to move, this is it. He's a goal kicking scrum half. I've no doubt he has a couple of French suitors.

Part of me hopes Finlay & Doak keep their upward trajectory. I hear & see David Hunprheys son getting media attention. I hope Ulster don’t feel like they owe him a chance. If he gets a chance, it must be on merit not the ole mans contacts/legacy.

Just have this picture of Doak moving to 9 to accommodate Humphrey at the cost of Finaly.

How does McKee rate?

Advertisement