Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

awec wrote: »
    I'm not seeing it for McCann yet, though I suspect I'll be alone on that.

I do know what you mean, but he's twenty, playing out of his position in the back row. I thought he looked a wee bit overwhelmed, starting the game today.

https://twitter.com/UlsterRugby/status/1345491340994482193?s=08

Interesting. Suppose to make his debut earlier in season but got appendicitis.

I thought he looked fine today, not amazing, but not out of place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭launish116

I do know what you mean, but he's twenty, playing out of his position in the back row. I thought he looked a wee bit overwhelmed, starting the game today.

Not sure anyone was expecting a motm performance. Physicality and speed of the game was always going to be overwhelming especially for a 20 year old. Can hardly fault him though for his first start. The stats are very interesting (Pro14):

McCann
    3 games 1 starts, 18 carries for 64 metres, tackles 16/17 (88%)

Murphy
    6 games 5 starts, 54 carries for 46 metres, tackles 56/54 (97%)

Jones
    3 games 2 starts, 15 carries for 31 metres, tackles 28/29 (98%)

Obviously take those with a pinch of salt, but carries wise it looks very promising and he has a lot more than just that to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭bilston

https://twitter.com/UlsterRugby/status/1345491340994482193?s=08

Interesting. Suppose to make his debut earlier in season but got appendicitis.

I thought he looked fine today, not amazing, but not out of place.

I dont get this...

You thought Doak looked fine and not out of place, but McCann was overwhelmed? Genuinely think I was watching something different to you and awec!

bilston wrote: »
    I dont get this...

You thought Doak looked fine and not out of place, but McCann was overwhelmed? Genuinely think I was watching something different to you and awec!

Yeah. Not overwhelmed, maybe, but hesitant. I thought he stood off a wee bit. I'm a massive McCann fan, following on from the U20 6N, but I thought he was a wee bit quieter than his previous appearances.

And I know, as an Inst lad, he will come good.

• Advertisement

Injury update

Jacob Stockdale suffered a knee injury late in Saturday’s game against Munster Rugby. His availability for selection for the upcoming Guinness PRO14 fixture against Leinster Rugby will be assessed throughout this week.

Sean Reidy has had shoulder surgery following an injury he sustained in the Heineken Champions Cup Round 2 fixture against Gloucester Rugby. He is expected to be side-lined for approximately 3 months.

Also currently injured and unavailable for selection are: Jack McGrath, Iain Henderson, Luke Marshall, Rob Baloucoune, Rob Lyttle, Will Addison, Louis Ludik and Angus Curtis.

Stockdale would be a big blow for Friday. Reidy will be missed, though hopefully some more exposure for academy.

launish116 wrote: »
    Injury update

Jacob Stockdale suffered a knee injury late in Saturday’s game against Munster Rugby. His availability for selection for the upcoming Guinness PRO14 fixture against Leinster Rugby will be assessed throughout this week.

Sean Reidy has had shoulder surgery following an injury he sustained in the Heineken Champions Cup Round 2 fixture against Gloucester Rugby. He is expected to be side-lined for approximately 3 months.

Also currently injured and unavailable for selection are: Jack McGrath, Iain Henderson, Luke Marshall, Rob Baloucoune, Rob Lyttle, Will Addison, Louis Ludik and Angus Curtis.

Stockdale would be a big blow for Friday. Reidy will be missed, though hopefully some more exposure for academy.

Probably looking at a back three of Lowry, Faddes and McIlroy...Hume and hopefully McCloskey at 12 and 13 and I'm hoping Cooney and Burns at 9 and 10. Obviously McCloskey and Burns could be rested, but in McCloskey's case that would be ridiculous give he played one game in the Autumn Nations Cup. Burns was involved in more games, but didn't have that much game time.

I'm guessing the back row will be Rea, Murphy and Coetzee...second row is anyone's guess...but I suspect Carter will start. I'd like to think O'Sullivan will be able to play, with Moore at TH and I reckon Herring may have to be rested, but I'm happy with Andrew starting anyway.

Probably looking at a back three of Lowry, Faddes and McIlroy...Hume and hopefully McCloskey at 12 and 13 and I'm hoping Cooney and Burns at 9 and 10. Obviously McCloskey and Burns could be rested, but in McCloskey's case that would be ridiculous give he played one game in the Autumn Nations Cup. Burns was involved in more games, but didn't have that much game time.

I'm guessing the back row will be Rea, Murphy and Coetzee...second row is anyone's guess...but I suspect Carter will start. I'd like to think O'Sullivan will be able to play, with Moore at TH and I reckon Herring may have to be rested, but I'm happy with Andrew starting anyway.

Would hope Burns & McCloskey are free to play. Looking like Leinster could have some issues in back line and outhalf.

If there was ever a time for a 6/2 split, nullify their forwards and could be a very close game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Why would herring be rested. He's barely played that much?

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    Why would herring be rested. He's barely played that much?

Did he not start 3 or 4 Ireland matches in Oct and Nov?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Did he not start 3 or 4 Ireland matches in Oct and Nov?

I understand managing players time but sometimes the irfu policy on this feels excessive. He's a well paid professional who is not injured.

You’d think with Andrew rested last week, might be the case of Herring being forced to sit out.

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    I understand managing players time but sometimes the irfu policy on this feels excessive. He's a well paid professional who is not injured.

I agree, but just calling it as what I think might happen, but then this match has taken on a lot more significance so the rules may be relaxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

I'm glad, in this world of interchangable St Michael's drones, Ulster can provide an U20s player who looks and sounds like a taxi driver in his early thirties.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3635596276519445&id=126216190790822

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Garda Kenny

I'm glad, in this world of interchangable St Michael's drones, Ulster can provide an U20s player who looks and sounds like a taxi driver in his early thirties.

Careful with your words. No doubt you’ll be looking for some of those drones to bolster your squad next season.

Even Dan is stirring the pot when it comes Dublin’s schools...

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugby/arid-40201559.html

Just a shame our Taxi driver is a scrum half and not a forward, though this is Ulster wouldn’t expect anything less.

launish116 wrote: »
    Even Dan is stirring the pot when it comes Dublin’s schools...

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugby/arid-40201559.html

Just a shame our Taxi driver is a scrum half and not a forward, though this is Ulster wouldn’t expect anything less.

Fair play to him. "Do you feel sorry for Leo Cullen?" is quite an extraordinary question. You'd have to be a saint to calmly answer "on balance; no, not really".

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

A dumb question receives the warranted answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Bit of a dick comment IMO. Like, why not just say that Leinster have loads of players and a conveyor belt of new ones, why bring up how rich their families are?

Where does he think Murphy, Cooney and McGrath came from? Is he unaware that most of the Ulster native players come from the swankier part of town too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Ulster rugby players are all working class heroes.

Bit of a dick comment IMO. Like, why not just say that Leinster have loads of players and a conveyor belt of new ones, why bring up how rich their families are?

Where does he think Murphy, Cooney and McGrath came from? Is he unaware that most of the Ulster native players come from the swankier part of town too?

"Why not just take the opportunity to big us up, when asked a ludicrous question?" asked FFF, as his servant spooned foie gras into the dog's bowl.

Delicate, offended Leinster fans circling.

Hahahaha...here comes the Leinster cavalry...lol

Why would any coach of another province feel sorry Leinster!!! Stupid question

• Administrators Posts: 53,508 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Great answer to a stupid question.

The only bit he left out was his delight that Connacht beat the ****e out of them last week. :)

Poor Leo. He should be made an OBE, for services to Ulster rugby.

That might at least give him a fleeting moment of satisfaction, as he grinds his way through the onslaught of attrition that is managing the Leinster team.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

"Why not just take the opportunity to big us up, when asked a ludicrous question?" asked FFF, as his servant spooned foie gras into the dog's bowl.

He didn't need to big anyone up.

Nor did he need to be an absolute cock about it. Yes, a cock.

The journalist asked the stupid question, the correct response was"that's a stupid question, next "

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Imagine how good Ulster would be if rich Ulster men put their kids into rugby schools!

You’d end up with mad situations like ex-Ulster players handing out Man of the Match awards to the kids of fans who took them out golfing

Dublin solicitors drafting letters demanding a retraction as we speak

• Advertisement

Imagine how good Ulster would be if rich Ulster men put their kids into rugby schools!

You’d end up with mad situations like ex-Ulster players handing out Man of the Match awards to the kids of fans who took them out golfing

Not that I am not completely unaware what you're doing, but how would one lead to the other?

YOUR BURN MAKES NO SENSE

Advertisement