Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXX-113,332 ROI(2,282 deaths) 81,251 NI (1,384 deaths) (05/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

Gruffalux wrote: »
    Re climate, seasonality and longer daily hours check Brazil and South Africa covid charts

There are cultural and ethnic factors in production of vitamin D from sunlight exposure if you were thinking those charts were an argument against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,315 ✭✭✭✭fits

If people are recommending vitamin d supplements . Stopping alcohol of any kind would be a good idea also.

Why is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

fits wrote: »
    Why is that?

My guess is impaired liver function, but this doesn't mean you need to stop completely, real binge drinking however...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Vicxas wrote: »
    New Zealand have reported cases of the UK strain. Not sure if they caught it on time before it got out into the wild.

Looks like they are going all out to contain it. More mandatory testing in addition to the usual ones. Border still closed to non-citizens. The price of a normal life for those who live there. Seems like a fair price.
    New Zealand has further tightened border controls amid mounting anxiety about the new variant of coronavirus driving up infections overseas.

Six cases of the new variant of the virus – five in arrivals from the UK and one from South Africa – were recorded in managed isolation facilities in the two weeks leading up to Christmas.

Travellers to New Zealand from the US and UK will now be required to show a negative test for Covid-19 before departure, as well as taking a test on their arrival in quarantine in addition to those on days three and 12. The border remains mostly closed to non-citizens.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/04/new-zealand-tightens-border-again-amid-fears-over-new-covid-strain

• Registered Users Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭titan18

OwenM wrote: »
    Disagree, as a public health metric and for the general population it is very valuable. For some individuals it needs to be considered more carefully but the real shame is people with an extreme BMI saying BMI is discredited, this is simply denial of their situation.

True, but when a guy like The Rock is considered dangerously obese using BMI, it's easy to discredit. It should be used with stuff like body fat percentage rather than as a catch all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

If people are recommending vitamin d supplements . Stopping alcohol of any kind would be a good idea also.

I’m lucky I don’t drink alcohol :D

I suppose asking people to take a VIT D tablet is far more likely to get less resistance to asking people not to drink. Although there does seem to be a fair few people averse to even just taking the VIT D question out of the equation for some reason. If everybody in Ireland was not VIT D deficient, doesn’t that equate to less severe cases due to VIT D deficiency?

My limited understanding of VIT D on the body is that it’s very important role in keeping our immune system strong to help us fight off infections. Seems like such a simple low hanging variable to address, I don’t get the resistance to take it off the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

iguana wrote: »
    Only if you have high levels of excess body fat. Not much point in a muscular person with a BMI of 22 lowering it.

Yeah but the muscular person at 22 will likely understand BMI and its limits.

While BMI has it's issues, it's a very easy calculation for those that do need a lower BMI, and can be the push people need to be more active. Thinking you're 'a bit heavy' can quickly change to 'oh ****, i'm in the obese range' can be a pretty good motivator when all you need is height & weight.

I don't envisage a body builder throwing away all their work after a quick calculation

Pointing out the flaws in BMI seems to be mandatory on the internet, not sure why tbh.

OwenM wrote: »
    My guess is impaired liver function, but this doesn't mean you need to stop completely, real binge drinking however...

They said stop rather than slow down though....

Pointing out the flaws in BMI seems to be mandatory on the internet, not sure why tbh.

nobody likes what its telling us :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I've stopped alcohol since all this started. I want to be better at fighting of any infections. Along with taking loads of vitamins

- Vit D
    - Magnesium for better absorption of vit d
    - Vit C
    - Zinc
    - Quercetin (acts like a key to open your cells so that zinc can get in and do it's job)
    - Bromelain can help with blood clots (though not enough evidence)

I think all these are better than fueling myself with alcohol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Eivor

titan18 wrote: »
    True, but when a guy like The Rock is considered dangerously obese using BMI, it's easy to discredit. It should be used with stuff like body fat percentage rather than as a catch all

I don't think anyone is walking around looking like The Rock worrying about their BMI. It's obvious who needs to lower their BMI. There's no mistaking loose fat for muscle.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,009 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I've stopped alcohol since all this started. I want to be better at fighting of any infections.

Good for you I don't think I've ever drank more since this thing started. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

So no more vitamin W or V?

:(

fits wrote: »
    nobody likes what its telling us :D

:D Excellent point!

I had a BMI of 37 a few years ago (18.5st, 5ft 10) and when I saw it was obese, rather than 'a bit fat' (honestly, I was deluded) it scared the **** out of me. Managed to get it down to 23 all because of the calculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Drumpot wrote: »
    I’m lucky I don’t drink alcohol :D

I suppose asking people to take a VIT D tablet is far more likely to get less resistance to asking people not to drink. Although there does seem to be a fair few people averse to even just taking the VIT D question out of the equation for some reason. If everybody in Ireland was not VIT D deficient, doesn’t that equate to less severe cases due to VIT D deficiency?

My limited understanding of VIT D on the body is that it’s very important role in keeping our immune system strong to help us fight off infections. Seems like such a simple low hanging variable to address, I don’t get the resistance to take it off the table.

Supplements tend to be poorly regulated with the amount listed on the package not necessarily representing what is in the tablets. There's also debate over whether supplements are as effective as getting vitamins from diet, and there is the potential to overdose (although I don't know if this is an issue with vitamin D specifically).

I don't know if any of those are reasons why vitamin D isn't being recommended at the moment though. People take vitamin D supplements all the time without issues all the time, so it does seem like a relatively harmless recommendation.

Eivor wrote: »
    I don't think anyone is walking around looking like The Rock worrying about their BMI. It's obvious who needs to lower their BMI. There's no mistaking loose fat for muscle.

Oh I know, and I do need to lose some weight but at the same time I know I'll never get down to that 24 range which is considered normal due to my build. I find getting the body fat percentage to be a bigger help than being told BMI

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

How's Australia and New Zealand getting on with this new strain? They surely can't keep this one out?

3 in Perth

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-05/new-uk-coronavirus-strain-found-in-perth-hotel-quarantine-system/13032066

1 in QLD

Likely returned travelers are going need a test before travel too.

I know I should probably cut back to just weekends but I really enjoy my one drink a day - usually a glass of beer or wine with dinner. Its rarely more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Eivor

titan18 wrote: »
    Oh I know, and I do need to lose some weight but at the same time I know I'll never get down to that 24 range which is considered normal due to my build. I find getting the body fat percentage to be a bigger help than being told BMI

I don't think there's a man or woman in the country who can't say the same at the minute. I's too easy to eat like crap when there's nothing else to do!

Supplements tend to be poorly regulated with the amount listed on the package not necessarily representing what is in the tablets. There's also debate over whether supplements are as effective as getting vitamins from diet, and there is the potential to overdose (although I don't know if this is an issue with vitamin D specifically).

I don't know if any of those are reasons why vitamin D isn't being recommended at the moment though. People take vitamin D supplements all the time without issues all the time, so it does seem like a relatively harmless recommendation.

I don't think you can overdose on vitamin D at least not through normal supplements. I know I had a blood test back in August and GP made me get prescription vitamin D stuff and there was about 2000% of daily recommended amount in the tablet to get it up to where it needed to be for me and the multivatimin i take only has like 100% so can't see people overdoing that

• Advertisement

I don't think there's a man or woman in the country who can't say the same at the minute. I's too easy to eat like crap when there's nothing else to do!

I went down a point in BMI over the summer when there was lots of fresh lovely food available. Its stayed off mostly. Also my stats from last year show I did most walking in April.
    Everything went to hell in November and December though(exercise wise). Doing 100 days of walking now.

Ya, i was doing great til February last year, doing PT, going to gym regularly and diet wasn't horrid. Then covid hit and at the start it was like this will be short, treat it like a bit of a holiday, and that phase went a bit too long.

Less pressure to look well too I think when you're not out seeing people or gearing up for holidays or anything, and then gyms being closed doesn't help either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

That’s how I was 8 years ago. Overweight and breathless after some moderate activity. Changed diet took up walking followed by running. I think I’m in great shape now have taken part in multiple marathons and made a lot of friends. Still enjoy my few beers and odd treat. Takes some effort and determination but a healthy living habit forms very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Estimating a 1% cfr from covid, the 6 or 7 deaths a day we are seeing now relates to days in mid December when we were seeing 600 - 700 cases a day.
    With cases now running at 5000 - 6000 a day, unfortunately we could be looking at 50 to 60 notified deaths a day in a couple weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

This guy is predicting a very protracted lockdown.
    Hopefully vaccines can start making a dent soon.

https://twitter.com/johnmcclean_ie/status/1346433293953200129?s=20

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Yeah but the muscular person at 22 will likely understand BMI and its limits.

While BMI has it's issues, it's a very easy calculation for those that do need a lower BMI, and can be the push people need to be more active. Thinking you're 'a bit heavy' can quickly change to 'oh ****, i'm in the obese range' can be a pretty good motivator when all you need is height & weight.

I don't envisage a body builder throwing away all their work after a quick calculation

I'm not pointing out any flaws in BMI, just that not everyone in the country needs to lose weight. Tbh, I think that most of the criticism of BMI has it backwards. BMI bands are very broad, too broad to be accurate for the majority of people. I'm just over 5ft tall and have a healthy range of nearly 2 and a half stone of a difference. The reality is, in the lowest of my healthy range, I'd be underweight. In the higher end of the healthy range, I'm clearly still overweight.

Estimating a 1% cfr from covid, the 6 or 7 deaths a day we are seeing now relates to days in mid December when we were seeing 600 - 700 cases a day.
    With cases now running at 5000 - 6000 a day, unfortunately we could be looking at 50 to 60 notified deaths a day in a couple weeks time.

We can only hope this current case level isn't sustained for too long.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

We can only hope this current case level isn't sustained for too long.

And that point is very important.

If you look at the cases in UK, they are being sustained. I don't know if that is because of regional variation in spread, population behaviour, the new variant...

But we need to see a rapid decline in numbers once the Christmas cases are done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭mcburns07

I've stopped alcohol since all this started. I want to be better at fighting of any infections. Along with taking loads of vitamins

- Vit D
    - Vit C
    - Zinc
    - Quercetin (acts like a key to open your cells so that zinc can get in and do it's job)

As others have said before me, I think you would be better off taking a step back from social media / Boards. That will be more beneficial to you than any vitamins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

- Vit D
    - Vit C
    - Zinc

Live a little. Open a nice brandy this evening

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement