Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE "joke" about God and Mary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

Heebie wrote: »
    It kinda does. Satan is a "fallen angel" according to scripture. God gave MAN free will, not so with angels, but somehow Satan managed to get his hands on some free will... implied by scripture.

One third of the angels that choosed Lucifer had their chance and were cast out of heaven. We likewise have free will to choose God or choose this world. This period of grace we are in is running out and we can see how rebellious and wicked this generation has become just like the bible predicted. Satan knows all too well how to get people away from God's protection and mocking him through media, film and music is his best strategy.

One third of the angels that choosed Lucifer had their chance and were cast out of heaven. We likewise have free will to choose God or choose this world. This period of grace we are in is running out and we can see how rebellious and wicked this generation has become just like the bible predicted. Satan knows all too well how to get people away from God's protection and mocking him through media, film and music is his best strategy.

The end is nigh(ish)?

Why do you think the current generation is more wicked than say during the middle ages, Spanish inquisition, WW2 for example?

Very distasteful and a 'joke' that not even Hebdo(or whatever they are called)would think of. Totally over the top and not what anyone should expect from the national broadcaster of an very proud Catholic and very religious Country such as Ireland. Yes we had some bad eggs in the past, but why keep this bash the church shíte going... You're just playing into anti Christian fanatics hands,. Ireland is staunchly and a very strong Catholic Country. I remember within a couple of years of the borders opening up and free travel etc that Some sicko in Rté was promoting the cancellation of The Angelus before the Six1 news!? Like what is wrong with some people?

Ireland used to be a very strong Catholic country when it was run by Develera with McQuaid's sanction, when children could be taken off unmarried mothers, their children sold and the mothers used in slave labour.

Now, Ireland is a very different country, mass attendance has plummeted (pre-covid). It's arguable Ireland is a Catholic country with Christian values, but strongly Catholic? I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

The end is nigh(ish)?

Why do you think the current generation is more wicked than say during the middle ages, Spanish inquisition, WW2 for example?

God sees everything we do and is waiting for each of us to return to him. Past generations still had a fear of God even though things outside their control happened, more souls were individually saved. This current generation don't fear God, but make a conscious decision to reject and mock him. While we may have more material possessions, binge on entertainment and think we know best, there are less souls being saved from God's wrath now than in previous generations.

God sees everything we do and is waiting for each of us to return to him. Past generations still had a fear of God even though things outside their control happened, more souls were individually saved. This current generation don't fear God, but make a conscious decision to reject and mock him. While we may have more material possessions, binge on entertainment and think we know best, there are less souls being saved from God's wrath now than in previous generations.

To see into the souls of people you'd have to have god like powers yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

the kelt wrote: »
    It’s like a reminder that the power the Catholic Church had in this country has been eroded to end up in a situation where a joke about it is on national tv.

The anger about the joke is generally speaking anger at being reminded that that power is gone.
    The anger is about settling down for the night to watch a new years countdown show on the national broadcaster and being treated to this "joke". Nothing to do with the place of the Catholic Church in society.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

That wouldnt have gone down well with the lads down in Clonskeagh.
    It seems that some religons get a free pass with our state broadcaster but they to have no issue insulting Catholics who pay their wages.
    Think I'm not going to pay my licence this year let them come after me all they want.

Render unto Caesar..

.... Yes it's true he answers some prayers and not others ...

As a Christian, I believe that God answers all our prayers, but we need to listen for the answers. Sometimes the answer is no.

homer911 wrote: »
    As a Christian, I believe that God answers all our prayers, but we need to listen for the answers. Sometimes the answer is no.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Laughable.

RTE broadcast a specifially Roman Catholic call to prayer every day on TV and twice a day on radio.

Not to mention the Masses and Church of Ireland services.

As an atheist I have much more grounds to object to the licence fee than you do!

You don't have any grounds to object at all. There are sufficient numbers of Catholics who pay their licence fee and RTE puts on content that is relevant to them.

There are also significant numbers of people who seem to object to paying the licence fee but happily watch the late late for show with their kids.

As for this thread, my only objection is that Rte wouldn't dare target Muslims or Jews with the same type of humour.

• Advertisement

So RTE have apologised and attached a warning on the RTE player.

Even the Socdems said it was unacceptable. Fair play to Roisin Shorthall, she did not overlook point 1 of my OP (joking about rape is wrong) just because Christianity was getting a kicking in the process.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2021/0102/1187296-eamon-martin-rte/

On a slight tangent, I thought Eamon Martin's comment was interesting..

"To broadcast such a deeply offensive and blasphemous clip about God & our Blessed Mother Mary during the Christmas season on 'NYE Countdown Show' on @RTE, @RTEOne & on Eve of the Solemn Feast of Mary, Mother of God is insulting to all Catholics and Christians"

Why did he not say "Catholics and other Christians"?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,404 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

"To broadcast such a deeply offensive and blasphemous clip about God & our Blessed Mother Mary during the Christmas season on 'NYE Countdown Show' on @RTE, @RTEOne & on Eve of the Solemn Feast of Mary, Mother of God is insulting to all Catholics and Christians"

Also the use of "our" blessed mother. She ain't my blessed anything

It wouldn't have fit in the tweet, would have pushed it over the character limit. You might be reading a bit much into it there I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Perhaps the best approach would be for the national broadcaster to not have any reference to religion at all, be it satire or not. No jokes about religion no preference in scheduling of programmes for one religion over the other.

Then perhaps all’s equal for all religions.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,404 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Perhaps the best approach would be for the national broadcaster to not have any reference to religion at all, be it satire or not. No jokes about religion no preference in scheduling of programmes for one religion over the other.

I'm fine with that as long as all state organisations do the same.

Complete separation like in France

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭CoBo55

That wouldnt have gone down well with the lads down in Clonskeagh.
    It seems that some religons get a free pass with our state broadcaster but they to have no issue insulting Catholics who pay their wages.
    Think I'm not going to pay my licence this year let them come after me all they want.

Ooh aren't you the rebel... What will you do with the €162? Give it to the missions?
    This is a brilliant thread, a lot funnier than the sketch if the truth be told.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,817 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

My missus is a Jaffa and she tells me the big VM is inconsequential to the lefties.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

breezy1985 wrote: »

She is to the majority

Good point

• Advertisement

Simply because other Christians have different opinions on different aspects of Christianity obviously

I'm Irish and so are my family as far back as I can trace and this is what I like to see from the national broadcaster and I would also be happy to see the angelus go.

Why is your Ireland more important than mine ?
    Majority disagree with you thank God

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

She is to the majority

Majority of what?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,684 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's pretty messed up in all fairness. Twisted if anything. Who went with this over many other possible lighthearted jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

It wouldn't have fit in the tweet, would have pushed it over the character limit. You might be reading a bit much into it there I think...

Nothing to do with size (the sentence could be altered in all sorts if ways) just a tiny little bit of Irish bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

Its probably lazy to say that RTE are a joke, but its true. They're like that friend who jumps all over everything thats popular at that moment in the hopes of being "In" with people. RTE will literally sell their souls to be popular and not seen as the dinosaur that they are. I'd venture to guess that had this been a skit at the expense of the LGBTQ community there'd be a mob descending on Montrose with pitch forks and torches as we speak. But if thats the road they wanna head down then so be it, each and every one of them will stand before God one day and have to answer for their actions, and that wont end well for them. You reap what you sow.

New Archbishop of Dublin has also commented. As time goes on I see more people are commenting on the trivialization of rape aspect of the skit, which the Socdems have already condemned as unacceptable. Not normally people in agreement with the Church. EqunqdIXIAEJFWP?format=jpg&name=large

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

New Archbishop of Dublin has also commented. As time goes on I see more people are commenting on the trivialization of rape aspect of the skit, which the Socdems have already condemned as unacceptable. Not normally people in agreement with the Church. EqunqdIXIAEJFWP?format=jpg&name=large

Respect for victims he says...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭CoBo55

It's on the news now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭THE_SHEEP

Firstly : don't agree with this sketch mocking a religion ( Christianity ) . They ( RTE ) would not dare mock other religions, ie Islam etc . So , all religious mockery / abuse should be " off the menu " .

Secondly : The amount of hypocrisy from these " holy christians " , complaining about a sketch on television , is unbelievable .

Do the majority of you not remember voting for abortion ???????

How " Christian " was that ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement