Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE "joke" about God and Mary

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Of course it does. If your god can create anything he or she can also destroy anything.

Mod warning: This argument has been done to death here and any further references to the Christian God as "he or she" will be considered trolling and dealt with accordingly. Do not discuss this in thread, any response to the feedback thread or via PM only. Thanks for your attention.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    Rte is where the athiest Gays go these days instead of the priesthood.

Mod: Infracted for trolling, next one will be a ban. Do not discuss this in thread, any response to the feedback thread or via PM only. Thanks for your attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

bfa1509 wrote: »
    RTE wouldn't want to offend paedophiles, seeing as they had one on their payroll for years.

Didn’t the Catholic Church have 100’s of child rapists on their payroll too?

At least RTE fired him instead of moving him to another area so he could keep raping children like the Catholic Church did with their priests.

RTE didn’t look to pay off any victims or cover the story like the Catholic Church did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Gonna be a long day for smacl

• Registered Users Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

If RTÉ were taking the p1ss out of

Islam
    Hinduism
    Buddhism
    Traditional African religions

Etc etc along with the easy and lazy/cowardly jokes about Christianity then I might have more respect for them

But no, always the lazy and cowardly option in RTÉ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,411 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Islam
    Hinduism

Etc etc along with the easy and lazy/cowardly jokes about Christianity then I might have more respect for them

What's a good Islam or Hindu joke that the Irish population might funny during a Christmas/New Year special?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭Treppen

Islam
    Hinduism

So you'd be ok with the skit, if they had included a skit on Islam and Hinduism?

Anyhow, RTE have no beef with Hindus

• Registered Users Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Treppen wrote: »
    So you'd be ok with the skit, if they had included a skit on Islam and Hinduism?

Anyhow, RTE have no beef with Hindus

I’m not ok with the skit but if RTÉ want to go down the route of religious “humour” then all religions like Islam Hinduism etc should be targeted

Not simply the safe and boring Christianity jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,406 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Islam
    Hinduism

Only 2 religions have had any significance in Ireland for most of the last 1000 years. Catholics and Protestants so that is why they will feature over and over on RTE.

What would be the point of a bunch of comedians who have no experience of Hinduism in a country with no experience of Hinduism making a joke about it as it would most likely go over everyone's head.

Also the catholic church willingly embedded itself in Irish politics and culture and has a special place in our constitution so is therefore gonna command a special place in Irish satire

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

TheChizler wrote: »
    What's a good Islam or Hindu joke that the Irish population might funny during a Christmas/New Year special?

Why is God a joke to you?

God has made it known to everyone of his existence, including those who suppress him. Do you think your jokes will save you when your judgement comes?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I’m Catholic and I couldn’t help with think if it were any other faith it would not have been broadcast but we are expected to just put up with it.
    You're correct, because as Dara O'Briain had pointed out, if it was another faith, the vast majority of the audience wouldn't get it.

I’m not ok with the skit but if RTÉ want to go down the route of religious “humour” then all religions like Islam Hinduism etc should be targeted

Not simply the safe and boring Christianity jokes.

So does that mean a comedian has to write a joke about every religion if he writes it about one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,411 ✭✭✭TheChizler

God has made it known to everyone of his existence, including those who suppress him. Do you think your jokes will save you when your judgement comes?

I wouldn't bet on it, I have terrible comedic timing.

Islam
    Hinduism
    Buddhism

I agree RTE can be cowardly. They were cowards for years and years of industrial scale rape by catholic priests and said nothing about it. Worse than that they were kissing a*** with the church

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Why is God a joke to you?

The entire concept is amusing.
    God has made it known to everyone of his existence

No he hasn't. Thats the problem.

Nothing wrong with joking about Irish minorities (Catholics) or the Irish majority (Agnostics/Atheists).

I'd suggest some people need to lighten up.

Or just be good Christians and forgive RTE.

Akesh wrote: »
    Pathetic strawman argument

I asked because that is how it was worded.

Ireland has loads of catholic or catholic raised comedians and little or none from other religions

So if all religions are to be "targeted" (not my words) then we either need to import some comedians or get the catholic ones to write about religions they don't understand

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Comedians writing jokes about other religions would go down a hell of a lot worse than then writing about their own ones.

Comedians writing jokes about other religions would go down a hell of a lot worse than then writing about their own ones.

Exactly. Ireland does catholic jokes and some bloody good ones too. leave the Hindu/muslim jokes for their countries and vise versa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Have no objection if mod wishes to put christian tag on the post to make things easier I should have done so myself probably

The Nal wrote: »

Nothing wrong with joking about Irish minorities (Catholics) or the Irish majority (Agnostics/Atheists).

Or just be good Christians and forgive RTE.

Your creator is amusing? You and I both know the human race is sinful, there is no denying that. What has made you so convinced that your creator is not real and simply a concept for your amusement?

• Advertisement

Your creator is amusing? You and I both know the human race is sinful, there is no denying that. What has made you so convinced that your creator is not real and simply a concept for your amusement?

If you want an honest answer to that you need a different forum. Not sure there is one on boards.ie as if one is started outside the Christianity forum it could get directed back to here

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭RamonD3

Doesn't bother me but

Not appropriate for the older people viewing it

The funniest thing about this is that the generation of audience that RTE crave and tried to appeal to would all have been watching Death to 2020 on Netflix.

If you want an honest answer to that you need a different forum. Not sure there is one on boards.ie as if one is started outside the Christianity forum it could get directed back to here

Is it not an honest answer cannot be given? It's a recurring theme with atheists and agnostics, joke and mock God, but when questioned then a wall of silence comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭boetstark

[if it was up to me I wouldn't give rte a cent of licence money. They are lazy, biased arrogant. As other posters said they will pop jokes at Christianity, not a hope of doing same against other religions.
    Same too yellow to report on the scandalous behaviour in blanchardstown 2 nights ago.

Or just be good Christians and forgive RTE.[/quote]

Is it not an honest answer cannot be given?
    I think that sentence has a lot more power/makes a lot more sense in your own head.

boetstark wrote: »
    As other posters said they will pop jokes at Christianity, not a hope of doing same against other religions.
    can you name one jewish or one muslim comedian based in ireland whose services they could call upon?
    the alternative would be to ask a christian or atheist comedian to write jokes about a religion they don't know. do you think that's tenable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Islam
    Hinduism
    Buddhism

So in a Christian country you would be happier and have more respect if they had a joke about other religions that the vast majority in the country wouldn’t get or understand.

Basically you’re offended but would be happier if more people of other religions were offended also?

Is there any jokes about those religions you would like to hear that fit in around Christmas/New Years?

the kelt wrote: »
    So in a Christian country you would be happier and have more respect if they had a joke about other religions that the vast majority in the country wouldn’t get or understand.

Basically you’re offended but would be happier if more people of other religions were offended also?

Is there any jokes about those religions you would like to hear that fit in around Christmas/New Years?

I think people are being disingenuous about understanding of other religions. I think I would get most Islamic/Jewish jokes.

However, to contradict myself somewhat the 'joke' referenced here does mock Judaism and Islam. They have the same root afterall.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Theres no evidence God exists. I'm a rational person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

Freedom of speech and unequal treatment of different religions aside, a public broadcaster should be setting the highest standard and not attempt to compete with some private comedy channels on who gets more out of line.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement