Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE "joke" about God and Mary

Options
12346»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

THE_SHEEP wrote: »
    They ( RTE ) would not dare mock other religions, ie Islam etc
    they wouldn't know how to.

THE_SHEEP wrote: »

Do the majority of you not remember voting for abortion ???????
    Loving the shoehorning here

• Registered Users Posts: 24,411 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Majority disagree with you thank God

Really cause I only see a few curtain twitchers complaining about this sketch and a nation full of people who don't care

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

the kelt wrote: »
    Perhaps the best approach would be for the national broadcaster to not have any reference to religion at all, be it satire or not. No jokes about religion no preference in scheduling of programmes for one religion over the other.

Then perhaps all’s equal for all religions.

Good point

santana75 wrote: »
    Its probably lazy to say that RTE are a joke, but its true. They're like that friend who jumps all over everything thats popular at that moment in the hopes of being "In" with people. RTE will literally sell their souls to be popular and not seen as the dinosaur that they are. I'd venture to guess that had this been a skit at the expense of the LGBTQ community there'd be a mob descending on Montrose with pitch forks and torches as we speak. But if thats the road they wanna head down then so be it, each and every one of them will stand before God one day and have to answer for their actions, and that wont end well for them. You reap what you sow.

Don't worry God will forgive them.

As for the LGBTQI+ community they deserve a let off after the years of oppression your crowd put them through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,780 ✭✭✭CoBo55

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Really cause I only see a few curtain twitchers complaining about this sketch and a nation full of people who don't care

Exactly. Enjoyable thread though. I didn't think there were that many holy Joe's left tbh, maybe they're just on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Some of the people complaining including Archbishop Martin probably never heard of Waterford Whispers until that sketch was broadcast on RTE. I doubt if any of them are followers on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

Don't worry God will forgive them.

As for the LGBTQI+ community they deserve a let off after the years of oppression your crowd put them through.

If they repent and ask God for forgiveness, then for sure he will forgive them. But I suspect they lack the humility to even comprehend that they did anything to offend God in the first place.
    As for the LGBTQ.......The Bible says "Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord your God in vain". It doesnt say, thou shalt not offend or upset the LGBTQ community.

Some of the people complaining including Archbishop Martin probably never heard of Waterford Whispers until that sketch was broadcast on RTE. I doubt if any of them are followers on Twitter.

The new head of the catholic church in Ireland has come out condemning the "trivialisation of rape"
    As satire goes I would say thats job done from Waterford Whispers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

The new head of the catholic church in Ireland has come out condemning the "trivialisation of rape"
    As satire goes I would say thats job done from Waterford Whispers
    The Archbishop elect is not head of the Catholic Church in Ireland. The man he is replacing has been widely praised (from some unlikely sources) for how he has dealt with the sexual abuse crisis. It is proper that his replacement should continue in a similar vein with no tolerance. But I don't think you would be happy whatever he said...

• Advertisement

The Archbishop elect is not head of the Catholic Church in Ireland. The man he is replacing has been widely praised (from some unlikely sources) for how he has dealt with the sexual abuse crisis. It is proper that his replacement should continue in a similar vein with no tolerance. But I don't think you would be happy whatever he said...

Sorry one of the heads.

I think the only course of action when involved in an organisation with the number and level of crimes of the RCC is to resign from it and start fresh with something that might actually slightly resemble Jesus teachings

If they repent and ask God for forgiveness, then for sure he will forgive them. But I suspect they lack the humility to even comprehend that they did anything to offend God in the first place.
    As for the LGBTQ.......The Bible says "Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord your God in vain". It doesnt say, thou shalt not offend or upset the LGBTQ community.

Im a staunch atheist but personally if I die and do happen to meet God I would happily ask for forgiveness for doubting him now that he has given me actual proof he exists.

Just because the bible doesnt say dont offend the LGBTQI+ community it doesnt mean they needed to be hounded and tortured by the church

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

We dont know what age Mary was.

There's as much evidence of Mary consenting, as there is of her being a 13 year old girl

There are plenty of texts describing her as being a 13/15 year old girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

600 complaints from a possible 5 million people and RTE apologise.

2021 eh?

The Nal wrote: »

2021 eh?

Kinda makes nonsense of all the people crying here about catholic feelings being ignored

Im a staunch atheist but personally if I die and do happen to meet God I would happily ask for forgiveness for doubting him now that he has given me actual proof he exists.

When you die you atheist scum you'll be boiled in oil, you'll have your intestines pulled out and gnawed on by vultures, you'll then... hang on a sec my mum's calling...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

That's not the way it works I'm afraid. Faith is something that is mentioned over and over in the bible. In fact it says that without faith its impossible to please God. Do you get what that means? And in not trying to talk down to you, it's a straight up question. What you're describing is the opposite of faith. You have the faith first then you'll get your proof.

That's not the way it works I'm afraid. Faith is something that is mentioned over and over in the bible. In fact it says that without faith its impossible to please God. Do you get what that means? And in not trying to talk down to you, it's a straight up question. What you're describing is the opposite of faith. You have the faith first then you'll get your proof.

I think thats fair enough I get that.

But my quote was a reply to someone who believes this in regards to atheists
    "If they repent and ask God for forgiveness, then for sure he will forgive them"
    So by his belief I can repent

Edit: That was actually you who said that earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 33,943 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Have no objection if mod wishes to put christian tag on the post to make things easier I should have done so myself probably

Everyone funds RTE and everyone has a right to an opinion on their output.

Seems to me you just want an echo chamber where everyone agrees with you all the time.

Of course if you do succeed in driving all the non-Christians out of this forum, then it won't be long until the C vs. P arguments get going in earnest :pac:

What will you want then? A "Catholics Only" tag?

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,943 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Very distasteful and a 'joke' that not even Hebdo(or whatever they are called)would think of.

Really? They've printed plenty of stuff about the RCC and the Pope. It's only the Islam stuff we get to hear about here (which is entirely becuase of the reactions to it...)

Ireland is staunchly and a very strong Catholic Country.

Seriously?

Why did Pope Francis only get 130,000 people, John Paul II got over a million?

Why are there next to no vocations?

2/3rds of the electorate voted to allow abortion and almost as many voted for same-sex marriage.

What's it going to take for you to accept that the days of RCC dominance of this country (education aside - for now) are long over?

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

Seriously?

2/3rds of the electorate voted to allow abortion and almost as many voted for same-sex marriage.

What's it going to take for you to accept that the days of RCC dominance of this country (education aside - for now) are long over?

And their top mouthpiece the Iona Institute (not really an institute) are now toxic to any cause they support

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭beachhead

Luke 1:26-38

An Angel Appears to Mary

26 During Elizabeth’s sixth month of pregnancy, God sent the angel Gabriel to Nazareth, a town in Galilee,

27 to a virgin. She was engaged to marry a man named Joseph from the family of David. Her name was Mary.

28 The angel came to her and said, “Greetings! The Lord has blessed you and is with you.”

29 But Mary was very startled by what the angel said and wondered what this greeting might mean.
    And all of the above quote is verifiable,I presume.No doubt from a competent journalist witness.

30 The angel said to her, “Don’t be afraid, Mary; God has shown you his grace.
    31 Listen! You will become pregnant and give birth to a son, and you will name him Jesus. 32 He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of King David, his ancestor. 33 He will rule over the people of Jacob forever, and his kingdom will never end.”

34 Mary said to the angel, “How will this happen since I am a virgin?”

35 The angel said to Mary, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will cover you. For this reason the baby will be holy and will be called the Son of God. 36 Now Elizabeth, your relative, is also pregnant with a son though she is very old. Everyone thought she could not have a baby, but she has been pregnant for six months.

37 God can do anything!”

38 Mary said, “I am the servant of the Lord. Let this happen to me as you say!” Then the angel went away.
    All of the above quote is no doubt verifiable.Probably visited by a reliable competent journalistic type-of the type that exist today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭beachhead

Really? They've printed plenty of stuff about the RCC and the Pope. It's only the Islam stuff we get to hear about here (which is entirely becuase of the reactions to it...)

Seriously?

It's got to do with the materialistic desires of today the 21st Century plus you can reach the heavens by synthetic means.No need to smell the incense

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Jaded Walker

Well I'm not religious in any way but this does seem like it's offensive.
    I agree that if this was any other religion it wouldn't have been allowed.
    As said if you did something like this about people of a different skin tone or different sexuality you'd never hear the end of it.
    I don't watch RTE but they should be apologising for this if they have not already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

The Nal wrote: »

2021 eh?

That is absolutely huge when it comes to people who actually follow through and file a complaint. Amen

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Everyone funds RTE and everyone has a right to an opinion on their output.

Seems to me you just want an echo chamber where everyone agrees with you all the time.

Of course if you do succeed in driving all the non-Christians out of this forum, then it won't be long until the C vs. P arguments get going in earnest :pac:

What will you want then? A "Catholics Only" tag?

Mod: Carded for backseat moderation. The above is also off topic, constitutes a personal attack and relates to discussion that should be in the feedback forum. Any replies to that forum or via PM. Thanks for your attention.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Thread closed at the request of the OP and on the basis of generating an excessive number of moderator actions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement