Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE "joke" about God and Mary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I do also think, despite my lack of religious belief, that the station that plays the Angelus should perhaps realise their audience might not appreciate such a joke

Maybe this will initiate some much-needed changes at RTE.

It's long past time that they stopped pandering to the Roman Catholic Church.

This is offensive to other Christians, other religious believers and to non-believers, who are all obliged to fund it regardless.

Practising Roman Catholics are very much in the minority these days yet RTE panders to the RCC twice a day every day.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭Treppen

bfa1509 wrote: »
    RTE wouldn't want to offend paedophiles, seeing as they had one on their payroll for years.

Who was that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

I would have thought that if Satan was in control, things would be a lot more fun than they are :P

Also if you believe that Satan exists, then you must also believe that your god is not all-powerful after all, which raises rather a few questions.

The existence of Satan does not mean or imply that God is not all powerful.

An ex-RTE producer was caught by paedo hunters.

It's a swing and a miss really seeing as though the 'hierarchy' in RTE did not cover it up and hush it up for years, unlike another organisation I could name!

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭AlfaZen

Can God create a rock that is too heavy for him to lift?

Either God is not all powerful or he doesn’t exist.

Of course it does. If your god can create anything he or she can also destroy anything.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

Rte is where the athiest Gays go these days instead of the priesthood.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,581 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

RTE trying to be Hip in ther usual clumsy manner - RTE havn't been funny, creative or relevant for years and yet we are all forced to pay for this loss making institution. If the joke had ben on muslims ther would rightly have been uproar too.

If the joke had been aimed at Islam then 95% of the audience wouldn't have got it.

https://youtu.be/yPLfv9umERU?t=103

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

Maybe this will initiate some much-needed changes at RTE.

It's long past time that they stopped pandering to the Roman Catholic Church.

This is offensive to other Christians, other religious believers and to non-believers, who are all obliged to fund it regardless.

Practising Roman Catholics are very much in the minority these days yet RTE panders to the RCC twice a day every day.

Honestly, I like the Angelus. I've only ever been to Church for mandatory events (weddings, etc.) and I've no belief in any religion, but I think the Angelus is more than just a religious thing, I think it's an 'Irish' thing in many ways (I don't want to use the word 'culture' but you know what i mean, it's been a part of all of our lives, whether just a noise in the background or something people pray to, it's always been there).

Much like the nativity scene in an Irish hospital - I don't see how it's offensive, and it shouldn't be removed (albeit, I deliberately make that comparison because the nativities were removed).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I’m Catholic and I couldn’t help with think if it were any other faith it would not have been broadcast but we are expected to just put up with it.

It didnt specifically mention Catholicism.

Uhh KKV, you just equated Catholicism with Irishness in a country (and indeed an island) with a major sectarian divide :rolleyes:

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Alfred123

.. " ...anti-blasphemy laws were introduced as recently as 2009, making Ireland the only developed country to have introduced a new “blasphemy” law in the twenty-first century.

New 2009 “blasphemy” law

Article 40 of the constitution, though protecting freedom of religion and conscience, also states that:

“The publication or utterance of blasphemous, seditious, or indecent matter is an offence which shall be punishable in accordance with law”.

.... Section 36 of the act criminalizes the publishing or utterance of “blasphemous matter” and imposes a maximum fine of €25,000.

Under the act a person has produced “blasphemous matter” if:

“(a) he or she publishes or utters matter that is grossly abusive or insulting in relation to matters held sacred by any religion, thereby causing outrage among a substantial number of the adherents of that religion, and

(b) he or she intends, by the publication or utterance of the matter concerned, to cause such outrage”.

25000 quid for causing outrage. Outrageous.
    Maybe, Aonghus Mac Thingy shd take out the chequebook and cough up.

I often wondered how this Law got snuck in back in 2009 with barely a mention or debate.

Probaby same crew that flung open the gates to holy ground of Croke Park to all and sundry of late

I suppose, with Mohamed being a paedophile n all, they were expecting trouble, hence the Law. : Thou shalt not attempt to outrage me with your lack of faith in my belief system

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

If the joke had been aimed at Islam then 95% of the audience wouldn't have got it.

https://youtu.be/yPLfv9umERU?t=103

His best phrasing of it was "cos I don't know anything about the Muslim and neither do you!". Same way we rarely get jokes about the different regions of China but you can get Kerry vs Dublin jokes a plenty here.

People can argue that there would be uproar if it was a Muslim joke but there would also be uproar if rte had something on for the Islamic call to prayer so you can call that balance.

As for the joke. Eh. WW are normally funnier but taking offense at it is a bit rich.

Alfred123, we had a referendum to remove the obligation to criminalise blasphemy from the constitution and have since passed legislation in accordance with that.

It was utterly ludicrous really as what one religion holds sacred another finds blasphemous.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Alfred123

Thanks for update !

I don't believe in the bible, but that 'joke' by RTÉ is offensive to a lot of people. They can't seem to report the Garda killing of an out of control knife wielding criminal, but they get all edgelord with this. Poor form.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

It was very disappointing to see this "skit" on RTE last night.

https://twitter.com/paulie_lufc/status/1344792634129346560
    https://twitter.com/ArchbishopEamon/status/1345055042932510721
    https://twitter.com/ArchbishopEamon/status/1345055133026160646

1. Joking about migrants being raped is not funny and is in bad taste.

2. This is grossly offensive to all Christians, particularly on the eve of the Solemn Feast of Mary. Other religions would not (and should not) be treated this way by the national broadcaster.

3. The underlying basis for the joke is false, Mary of course consented to be the mother of Jesus.

4. The joke isn't even funny.

Somehow I think everyone would be up in arms because of point 1, but because of 2 it is overlooked.

It wasn't even a throwaway joke by a participant in a show or something, but RTE commissioned, produced and decided to air this. Even involving former newsreader Aengus Mac Griana.

I normally don't watch RTE (or much TV at all really) just my luck one of the few times I do I see this. I wonder what RTE's response will be to the Archbishop's complaint. I would encourage Christians here to complain also.

13 year olds can’t consent to being impregnated

Of course it does. If your god can create anything he or she can also destroy anything.
    There is no "of course" about it. This has been done to death by theologians for centuries... but you know this.

Shameful how some delight in fellow citizens being insulted by the national broadcaster. This program, the NYE countdown was watched by loads of people, RTE commissioned and produced it for people to watch to herald in the new year. It was not some random show or guest that did it, RTE had full control over it. To do this during Christmas, one of the most important festivals, is shameful.

• Advertisement

Akrasia wrote: »

We dont know what age Mary was.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭SOPHIE THE DOG

I'm embarrassed for RTE / Waterford Whispers - everyone knows God is only about 6,000 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Some religions can be lampooned in Ireland while others can't. I think this is what annoys those who are of a particular religion.

As an atheist I think all religions are fair game for satire.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Iodine1

RTE has many agendas being pushed by a vocal minority, constantly. Chief target are Catholics, followed by other Christians, while promoting any alternatives at every opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭banie01

. It wasn't funny at all. It seemed like a joke you'd hear in a primary school class.

Sure isn't that where Mary was when God sent his buddy over to let her know he was gonna knock her up?

Makes it age appropriate at least :) doesn't it?

Excuse the pun but there should be no sacred cows.
    Be it God choosing to knock up children, or Muhammed marrying one.

If we are a Nation of laws?
    Consent, and the ability to actually give it matter.
    I see some have trotted out Mary's acknowledgement that she was a servant of the lord as her consent.
    Try telling a judge that the 12y.o who birthed your child consented...?
    See how that defence flies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Would be curious to know how many of the outraged folk here would have vigorously defended the right of Charlie Hebdo to publish its Muhammad cartoons. Quite a number I suspect.

The purpose of the joke is make its audience feel uncomfortable. Ireland is an overwhelmingly Christian country and we've just finished celebrating the biggest culturally Christian festival of the year. Of course they targeted Christians rather than Jews or Muslims or Hindus. Rightly so. Satire has to be relevant to your audience.

As pointed out earlier, those that are screaming that RTE wouldn't do this to another religion would be screaming even louder if RTE started broadcasting the Islamic call to prayer. Equally, those outraged at having to pay a licence fee for such blasphemous content would be apoplectic if the Angelus was abandoned.

Hypocrites every single one of you. Eamon Martin can slide on too.

One last thing, "the underlying basis for the joke is false, Mary of course consented to be the mother of Jesus" might genuinely be the single most bizarre thing I've ever read on Boards, and that's saying something.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

I would have thought that if Satan was in control, things would be a lot more fun than they are :P

Also if you believe that Satan exists, then you must also believe that your god is not all-powerful after all, which raises rather a few questions.

Tormented in hell for eternity with no chance of being rescued by God is fun???

We have free will in this world, do we put our trust in God or do we put our trust in the world which is under the control of Satan. One can lead to salvation while the other leads to hell. God sees everything including the intentions of the heart, nobody will be without excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Akrasia wrote: »

Around 12 to 14 years old was custom at the time and most definitely a teenager.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

AlfaZen wrote: »
    Can God create a rock that is too heavy for him to lift?

Either God is not all powerful or he doesn’t exist.

Mod: Carded for breach of charter;

"5. Arguments such as "There is no God, therefore..." or "The Bible is full of contradictions, therefore..." will not be tolerated. Don't start off with a conclusion which your audience is bound to disagree with!"

Do not discuss this in thread, any response to the feedback thread or via PM only. Thanks for your attention.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Ahh cmon now people, ‘‘twas a joke

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement