Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE "joke" about God and Mary

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,403 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I think I would get most Islamic/Jewish jokes.
    i think you're unlike 99% of catholics so.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,404 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Freedom of speech and unequal treatment of different religions aside, a public broadcaster should be setting the highest standard and not attempt to compete with some private comedy channels on who gets more out of line.

I am perfectly happy with my national broadcaster doing satire. Why do christian conservatives much like nationalist conservatives think that they have a monopoly on getting to decide a countries standards ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭atr2002

Your creator is amusing? You and I both know the human race is sinful, there is no denying that. What has made you so convinced that your creator is not real and simply a concept for your amusement?

Childhood cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Nasty from RTÉ...........you’d have to wonder though whose pulling rte’s strings?

i think you're unlike 99% of catholics so.

Do you not get these...

Two Rabbis were discussing their problems with squirrels in their synagogue attic. One Rabbi said, "We simply called an exterminator and we never saw the squirrels again." The other Rabbi said, "We just gave the squirrels a bar mitzvah, and we never saw them again."

Or (instead of Chelm substitute Kerry if you need help)

One Jewish Chełm resident bought a fish on Friday in order to cook it for Sabbath. He put the live fish underneath his coat and the fish slapped his face with his tail. He went to the Chełm court to submit a charge and the court sentenced the fish to death by drowning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,094 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Muppet Man wrote: »
    Offensive jokes are big business for many like Jimmy carr, Sarah silverman and Ricky Gervais. I applaud rte for having the courage to roll with this one which I'm sure they knew was going to ruffle feathers.

Yeah but most of them are aimed at easy targets, the targets that don't fight back, literally in some cases.

How many of them have the balls to take on certain sacred cows, certain religions groups, certain races, certain "genders".
    Nah it is easier to have a pop at soft targets so they get all the thanks and high fives from the right on brigade that thinks they are so out there and progressive.
    homer911 wrote: »
    While God does not need humans to stand up for him, I think RTE should have had better taste. Christians always seem to be easy targets, I doubt RTE would be so brave as to have a go at Hindus or Muslims

Exactly it is the bloody double standards.

Pull the pi** out of all religions or none.

And of course I bet a fair few of the ones on here shouting about how it is fine to do this and christians don't have a sense of humour would be the very ones crying descrimination if this was done to certain other religions that has a cohort always defending it's excesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Well done RTE, the more we lampoon these cults the more we grow.
    I wonder did Mary know she was be impregnated by God? Did he say it to her first?
    God has over seen a lot of rape in his time, especially all the Christian priests that preach his word, are they raping children and each other in his name?
    Has God any power worth talking about if he can't stop his own priests raping girls and boys.
    God gets a lot of credit when things go right, but when things go wrong his followers tend to say different.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,442 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Oh remember the revered respectful reporting Rte gave to the Eid celebration this summer. You don't get that same level of respect towards the catholic religion from them.
    Also disrespectful to the many elderly Catholics who might be self isolating due to Covid and might only have RTE to keep them company to make fun of their beliefs.
    It also insults many Catholics who have made their home here from Poland Brazil Italy Spain.
    Suggest anyone who found offence complain to Rte see Ben's tweet below

https://twitter.com/Ben_Scallan/status/1345049118247440384?s=19

Oh remember the revered respectful reporting Rte gave to the Eid celebration this summer. You don't get that same level of respect towards the catholic religion from them.
    Also disrespectful to the many elderly Catholics who might be self isolating due to Covid and might only have RTE to keep them company to make fun of their beliefs.
    It also insults many Catholics who have made their home here from Poland Brazil Italy Spain.
    Suggest anyone who found offence complain to Rte see Ben's tweet below

https://twitter.com/Ben_Scallan/status/1345049118247440384?s=19

Flood away lads. I think you will find most Irish people don't care about a bit of blasphemy now that the fear of retribution from the bishops and the knights of Columbanus is gone

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

This is whatI think of when people mention God and the church, multiply this man's experience by 10s of thousands.
    https://youtu.be/iq-BB_aZUVI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Karlos77 wrote:
    I love satan and jesus equally

That's very Christian of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

The Nal wrote: »
    Theres no evidence God exists. I'm a rational person.

All the evidence points to God. If you were rational you would realise that. With God anything is possible. He can free people from spiritual attack, demonic possession, addictive habits, depression, suicide and give that person an inner peace that transcends all understanding. God has also cured sick people that had no hope. Yes it's true he answers some prayers and not others but to claim there is no evidence and your rational is both a lie. What RTE done was wrong, mocking God is the work of Satan and those with faith should have discernment to see how Satan tries to win souls.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,403 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

All the evidence points to God. If you were rational you would realise that. With God anything is possible. He can free people from spiritual attack, demonic possession, addictive habits, depression, suicide and give that person an inner peace that transcends all understanding. God has also cured sick people that had no hope. Yes it's true he answers some prayers and not others but to claim there is no evidence and your rational is both a lie. What RTE done was wrong, mocking God is the work of Satan and those with faith should have discernment to see how Satan tries to win souls.

There is no such evidence. Really. None.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

The existence of Satan does not mean or imply that God is not all powerful.

It kinda does. Satan is a "fallen angel" according to scripture. God gave MAN free will, not so with angels, but somehow Satan managed to get his hands on some free will... implied by scripture.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,411 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Only a couple of years ago they had an entire segment on a bishop blessing a road up in Mayo, plenty of good material there yet the piece was entirely respectful. When Francis was here a few years ago there was plenty of respectful coverage. RTE has an entire Religious Department which is basically for Catholics. Plenty more examples like that. Priests and religious are constantly asked their honest opinion on things barely relevant to them, what more do you want?

The bit in bold is going to be seriously questioned if you continue debate given the above response.:p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Mod: Carded for breach of charter;

"5. Arguments such as "There is no God, therefore..." or "The Bible is full of contradictions, therefore..." will not be tolerated. Don't start off with a conclusion which your audience is bound to disagree with!"

Do not discuss this in thread, any response to the feedback thread or via PM only. Thanks for your attention.

atr2002 wrote: »
    Childhood cancer.

Mod warning: I consider this argument to be soapboxing in this forum, see this post for the reasons why. Any repetition will result in carding. Do not discuss this in thread, any response to the feedback thread or via PM only. Thanks for your attention.

Heebie wrote: »
    That's very Christian of you.

Very much not so. God is a jealous god.

• Advertisement

Macdarack wrote: »
    Well done RTE, the more we lampoon these cults the more we grow.
    I wonder did Mary know she was be impregnated by God? Did he say it to her first?
    God has over seen a lot of rape in his time, especially all the Christian priests that preach his word, are they raping children and each other in his name?
    Has God any power worth talking about if he can't stop his own priests raping girls and boys.
    God gets a lot of credit when things go right, but when things go wrong his followers tend to say different.

Mod: Carded for breach of charter;

"1. The purpose of this forum is to discuss Christian belief in general, and specific elements of it, between Christians and non-Christians alike. This forum has the additional purpose of being a point on Boards.ie where Christians may ask other Christians questions about their shared faith. In this regard, Christians should not have to defend their faith from overt or subtle attack."

Do not discuss this in thread, any response to the feedback thread or via PM only. Thanks for your attention.

Just thought it might be helpful to point out that current affairs has a thread running on the same topic which is more open to questioning and criticising religion and more suitable for atheists

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Just thought it might be helpful to point out that current affairs has a thread running on the same topic which is more open to questioning and criticising religion and more suitable for atheists

Good call, linky

smacl wrote: »
    Good call, linky

And before smacl runs out of cards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

TheChizler wrote: »
    Only a couple of years ago they had an entire segment on a bishop blessing a road up in Mayo, plenty of good material there yet the piece was entirely respectful. When Francis was here a few years ago there was plenty of respectful coverage. RTE has an entire Religious Department which is basically for Catholics. Plenty more examples like that. Priests and religious are constantly asked their honest opinion on things barely relevant to them, what more do you want?

Every little detail has to be in favour of Catholicism or it is not considered equal in their eyes. It reminds me that Gemma complained a while back about Christianity not being represented in the multi faith room (there is a bloody church).

Someone else mentioned the Jewish jokes. Bar Mitvah one I get but it takes a second and kind of ruins the joke. Chelm one I wouldn't have a hope of getting. Certainly wouldn't expect the majority to get it in Ireland. And the first is probably the limit of what you can get to work.

Given I have heard comedians do well in Ireland with the differences between Protestant and Catholic mass it seems like there is a bit more ground to toil in that area without losing the audience. Could you imagine anyway getting anything from any differences in Jewish traditions and being understood?

Christy42 wrote: »
    Every little detail has to be in favour of Catholicism or it is not considered equal in their eyes
    there is a word (which i am racking my brains to remember) which specifically refers to the concept when a dominant majority lose their privileged position, and being treated as 'normal' feels like persecution to them. which is pretty much what you describe here.
    i will come back when i remember it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Christy42 wrote: »
    Every little detail has to be in favour of Catholicism or it is not considered equal in their eyes. It reminds me that Gemma complained a while back about Christianity not being represented in the multi faith room (there is a bloody church).

Someone else mentioned the Jewish jokes. Bar Mitvah one I get but it takes a second and kind of ruins the joke. Chelm one I wouldn't have a hope of getting. Certainly wouldn't expect the majority to get it in Ireland. And the first is probably the limit of what you can get to work.

Given I have heard comedians do well in Ireland with the differences between Protestant and Catholic mass it seems like there is a bit more ground to toil in that area without losing the audience. Could you imagine anyway getting anything from any differences in Jewish traditions and being understood?

It’s like a reminder that the power the Catholic Church had in this country has been eroded to end up in a situation where a joke about it is on national tv.

The anger about the joke is generally speaking anger at being reminded that that power is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Very distasteful and a 'joke' that not even Hebdo(or whatever they are called)would think of. Totally over the top and not what anyone should expect from the national broadcaster of an very proud Catholic and very religious Country such as Ireland. Yes we had some bad eggs in the past, but why keep this bash the church shíte going... You're just playing into anti Christian fanatics hands,. Ireland is staunchly and a very strong Catholic Country. I remember within a couple of years of the borders opening up and free travel etc that Some sicko in Rté was promoting the cancellation of The Angelus before the Six1 news!? Like what is wrong with some people?

Very distasteful
    i don't usually come to this forum, for various reasons.

but one thing which i find remarkable is the number of people who seemingly have less of an issue with a deity impregnating a woman against her will, than they do with someone mocking that concept.

• Advertisement

Very distasteful and a 'joke' that not even Hebdo(or whatever they are called)would think of. Totally over the top and not what anyone should expect from the national broadcaster of an very proud Catholic and very religious Country such as Ireland. Yes we had some bad eggs in the past, but why keep this bash the church shíte going... You're just playing into anti Christian fanatics hands,. Ireland is staunchly and a very strong Catholic Country. I remember within a couple of years of the borders opening up and free travel etc that Some sicko in Rté was promoting the cancellation of The Angelus before the Six1 news!? Like what is wrong with some people?

I'm Irish and so are my family as far back as I can trace and this is what I like to see from the national broadcaster and I would also be happy to see the angelus go.

Why is your Ireland more important than mine ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement