Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE "joke" about God and Mary

Options
  • 01-01-2021 7:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

It was very disappointing to see this "skit" on RTE last night.

https://twitter.com/paulie_lufc/status/1344792634129346560
    https://twitter.com/ArchbishopEamon/status/1345055042932510721
    https://twitter.com/ArchbishopEamon/status/1345055133026160646

1. Joking about migrants being raped is not funny and is in bad taste.

2. This is grossly offensive to all Christians, particularly on the eve of the Solemn Feast of Mary. Other religions would not (and should not) be treated this way by the national broadcaster.

3. The underlying basis for the joke is false, Mary of course consented to be the mother of Jesus.

4. The joke isn't even funny.

Somehow I think everyone would be up in arms because of point 1, but because of 2 it is overlooked.

It wasn't even a throwaway joke by a participant in a show or something, but RTE commissioned, produced and decided to air this. Even involving former newsreader Aengus Mac Griana.

I normally don't watch RTE (or much TV at all really) just my luck one of the few times I do I see this. I wonder what RTE's response will be to the Archbishop's complaint. I would encourage Christians here to complain also.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

This Christian thinks that's pretty darn funny.

Truck about the story... according to the story God did impregnate her against her will. He did not ASK her for consent, he INFORMED her that she would be having a child.

I have no problem with the various absurdities in the bible being pointed out and made fun of... none at all.

If this were a joke about Jews... oh wait, Jesus, Mary, and Joseph were all Jews... So maybe if this was a joke about Moses dropping the third tablet of the fifteen commandments (as seen in the Mel Brooks.. [a Jew...] film titled "History of the World, Part I") you wouldn't be so upset.
    How about if it was a joke about The Prophet Mohammed (sp?) Where he appeared as a big block with "Censored" printed over it because Muslims consider images of Mohammed blasphemy... would you be annoyed at that joke?

If you wouldn't be annoyed at BOTH of those jokes, you have no right to be annoyed about a joke based directly on what is written in the bible ACTUALLY depicting a woman being impregnated without her consent... that's what the bible says happened.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Heebie wrote: »
    Then you are very funny sort of Christian. If this was applied at another social group, then the woke scold mob would be up in arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,247 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Luke 1:26-38

An Angel Appears to Mary

26 During Elizabeth’s sixth month of pregnancy, God sent the angel Gabriel to Nazareth, a town in Galilee,

27 to a virgin. She was engaged to marry a man named Joseph from the family of David. Her name was Mary.

28 The angel came to her and said, “Greetings! The Lord has blessed you and is with you.”

29 But Mary was very startled by what the angel said and wondered what this greeting might mean.

30 The angel said to her, “Don’t be afraid, Mary; God has shown you his grace.
    31 Listen! You will become pregnant and give birth to a son, and you will name him Jesus. 32 He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of King David, his ancestor. 33 He will rule over the people of Jacob forever, and his kingdom will never end.”

34 Mary said to the angel, “How will this happen since I am a virgin?”

35 The angel said to Mary, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will cover you. For this reason the baby will be holy and will be called the Son of God. 36 Now Elizabeth, your relative, is also pregnant with a son though she is very old. Everyone thought she could not have a baby, but she has been pregnant for six months.

37 God can do anything!”

38 Mary said, “I am the servant of the Lord. Let this happen to me as you say!” Then the angel went away.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Offensive jokes are big business for many like Jimmy carr, Sarah silverman and Ricky Gervais. I applaud rte for having the courage to roll with this one which I'm sure they knew was going to ruffle feathers.

Immaculate conception jokes are done to death and most of them are humorous. I didn't find this particular rte sketch to be funny, but nor did I find it offensive.

Rape jokes... personally I don't find them funny, but I wouldn't want to censor them either... so long as it was at the right time of day of course.

Blasphemy jokes are just that - jokes. And there was plenty of blasphemy in farher Ted which was funny and presumably didn't ruffle too many feathers.

Just a thought... if Eamon Martin said he thought it was hilarious... would you still have been offended?

Muppet Man

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

There shouldn’t be any sacred cows in comedy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Doesn't bother me but

Not appropriate for the older people viewing it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

While God does not need humans to stand up for him, I think RTE should have had better taste. Christians always seem to be easy targets, I doubt RTE would be so brave as to have a go at Hindus or Muslims

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭extrapolate

Heebie wrote: »

Truck about the story... according to the story God did impregnate her against her will. He did not ASK her for consent, he INFORMED her that she would be having a child.

I have no problem with the various absurdities in the bible being pointed out and made fun of... none at all.

If this were a joke about Jews... oh wait, Jesus, Mary, and Joseph were all Jews... So maybe if this was a joke about Moses dropping the third tablet of the fifteen commandments (as seen in the Mel Brooks.. [a Jew...] film titled "History of the World, Part I") you wouldn't be so upset.
    How about if it was a joke about The Prophet Mohammed (sp?) Where he appeared as a big block with "Censored" printed over it because Muslims consider images of Mohammed blasphemy... would you be annoyed at that joke?

If you wouldn't be annoyed at BOTH of those jokes, you have no right to be annoyed about a joke based directly on what is written in the bible ACTUALLY depicting a woman being impregnated without her consent... that's what the bible says happened.

Absurd: wildly unreasonable, illogical, or inappropriate.

I agree with above poster, a Christian would not find God's Word to be any of those things.

To the second point, Gal. 6:7
    Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

#marytoo

:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 285 ✭✭Hellokitty1212

I’m Catholic and I couldn’t help with think if it were any other faith it would not have been broadcast but we are expected to just put up with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I’m Catholic and I couldn’t help with think if it were any other faith it would not have been broadcast but we are expected to just put up with it.

No you’re not. You’re on here now, not putting up with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

It was very disappointing to see this "skit" on RTE last night.

https://twitter.com/paulie_lufc/status/1344792634129346560
    https://twitter.com/ArchbishopEamon/status/1345055042932510721
    https://twitter.com/ArchbishopEamon/status/1345055133026160646

1. Joking about migrants being raped is not funny and is in bad taste.

2. This is grossly offensive to all Christians, particularly on the eve of the Solemn Feast of Mary. Other religions would not (and should not) be treated this way by the national broadcaster.

3. The underlying basis for the joke is false, Mary of course consented to be the mother of Jesus.

4. The joke isn't even funny.

Somehow I think everyone would be up in arms because of point 1, but because of 2 it is overlooked.

It wasn't even a throwaway joke by a participant in a show or something, but RTE commissioned, produced and decided to air this. Even involving former newsreader Aengus Mac Griana.

I normally don't watch RTE (or much TV at all really) just my luck one of the few times I do I see this. I wonder what RTE's response will be to the Archbishop's complaint. I would encourage Christians here to complain also.

Disgusting, of course the cowards wouldn't mention the prophet M

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭strangel00p

homer911 wrote: »
    While God does not need humans to stand up for him, I think RTE should have had better taste. Christians always seem to be easy targets, I doubt RTE would be so brave as to have a go at Hindus or Muslims

RTE have zero taste and are completely irrelevant at this stage. They would never dream of having a joke at Islam because they desperately try to be politically correct, far easier to have a pop at Christians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Of course, the particularly aggravating factor is that we have to pay for RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,939 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

We already have two Abrahamic faiths incapable of taking a joke, do we really need the third to go down the same route?

BTW MuppetMan, there was no blasphemy whatsoever in Father Ted.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭growleaves

Archbishop Martin said the clip should be denounced by "all people of goodwill".

I'm sure both of them will be happy to denounce it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Doesn't bother me but

Not appropriate for the older people viewing it

We'll need to have content warnings for older folk now.

Don't let them watch Life of Brian.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Would RTE run a sketch about Mohammed being arrested for being a paedophile. No it would not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

TCM wrote: »
    Would RTE run a sketch about Mohammed being arrested for being a paedophile. No it would not.

That's as much because they could be killed for it as it is to do with wokeness.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,410 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Most people wouldn't necessarily get the joke so why not go with something they're more familiar with? Know your audience. Christmas was kind of topical the last few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,442 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

That wouldnt have gone down well with the lads down in Clonskeagh.
    It seems that some religons get a free pass with our state broadcaster but they to have no issue insulting Catholics who pay their wages.
    Think I'm not going to pay my licence this year let them come after me all they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

Satan tries to mock God. This country is spiritually dead and a lot of people unfortunately are on their way to hell. Everything nowadays is a joke, and you can see how immature and spiritually dead many people have become. This is what happens when Satan gains ground and the church loses its backbone. I threw out the TV two years ago and it was one of the best decisions I made. It has opened up personal testimonies on YouTube and Kindle of how Jesus has saved people and how Satan tries to deceive people in this world.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Karlos77

I love satan and jesus equally

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

the person that wrote that joke was probably raised catholic, so they mocking their own not others.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,038 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Disgusting, of course the cowards wouldn't mention the prophet M

#SAYHISNAME

• Registered Users Posts: 34,442 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If anything, that's more a sad reflection on the current state of Islam than anything else. RTE should be able to, but you know, the whole death/Fatwa thing.

It seems that some religons get a free pass with our state broadcaster but they to have no issue insulting Catholics who pay their wages.

Laughable.

RTE broadcast a specifially Roman Catholic call to prayer every day on TV and twice a day on radio.

Not to mention the Masses and Church of Ireland services.

As an atheist I have much more grounds to object to the licence fee than you do!

Life ain't always empty.

I realise I'm after rolling into a thread in a very religious forum, so my opinion that there is no God and it's all make-believe is obviously not appreciated (although I've no issue with others believing whatever they like, so long as it doesn't hurt anyone else).

That said, despite regularly laughing at religious jokes and not being at all religious myself, I do think that, firstly, this skit was done dreadfully. It wasn't funny at all. It seemed like a joke you'd hear in a primary school class.

Perhaps it would have been funny if there was some 'magic' thrown in and god 'disappeared' from the cuffs leaving a bewildered Garda standing with empty cuffs looking for him, only for us to see 'god' flying past driving the Garda van in the background. Something a bit 'out there', rather than a mundanely read news report and a bad halloween outfit.

I do also think, despite my lack of religious belief, that the station that plays the Angelus should perhaps realise their audience might not appreciate such a joke at a time when they're likely not to be expecting the skit, and may have family around. If RTE have a comedy show on with a lad that's always making rape jokes and making funny racist remarks, at least you know what you're getting into before you sit down to watch him. This seems like it was a bit out of place for the kinda show it was.

I should state though, that I didn't watch the show in full and have just seen bits from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

RTE wouldn't want to offend paedophiles, seeing as they had one on their payroll for years.

• Advertisement

Satan tries to mock God. This country is spiritually dead and a lot of people unfortunately are on their way to hell. Everything nowadays is a joke, and you can see how immature and spiritually dead many people have become. This is what happens when Satan gains ground and the church loses its backbone. I threw out the TV two years ago and it was one of the best decisions I made. It has opened up personal testimonies on YouTube and Kindle of how Jesus has saved people and how Satan tries to deceive people in this world.

I would have thought that if Satan was in control, things would be a lot more fun than they are :P

Also if you believe that Satan exists, then you must also believe that your god is not all-powerful after all, which raises rather a few questions.

Life ain't always empty.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement