Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

cute geoge wrote: »
    what sort of detergent because if it is c/f i would tread carefully ,there seems to be alot of trial and error

Try Arkfarm Innovation. I'm getting on okay with it. Tbc and thermo very low. Bit of buildup of fats on meters, but more my fault than than the detergent. End of year, I'm not doing what I was told to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭alps

Can i get recommendations for detergent companies please. I need to get a few quotes for ourchasing group. Thanks

You dont have an easy task ahead of you.

Your members will all have different washing regimes and no matter what quality product you get, some guys will have an issue, and turn around and bitch at you for the product you got.

Make sure that whatever supplier you go in with, thatbthey take responsibility for the product and getting it to work correctly on every farm....this may cost you more on product the first time out, but it's important..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Its likely a chlorine based wash will need to be used every so often I reckon anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Mooooo wrote: »
    Its likely a chlorine based wash will need to be used every so often I reckon anyway

No i think chlorine is out altogether. The talk is paracitic acid rince every so often. However good it works we'll have to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,116 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Can i get recommendations for detergent companies please. I need to get a few quotes for ourchasing group. Thanks

Ark farm solutions ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,227 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Andy Murphy farm supplies is worth a shout too.

He sells the CID range of detergents.
    They're working well here.

andymurphyfarmsupplies@gmail.com

Biocel make the circodine products

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Very basic question - do you need to be in derogation if you go above a cow/acre?

Assuming you can’t export slurry.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Very basic question - do you need to be in derogation if you go above a cow/acre?

Assuming you can’t export slurry.

You can’t stock at a cow per acre in 2021, with a dairy cow been at 89kgs n ,circa need 1.27 acres a cow if you want to stay under the 170kgs/ha

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

jaymla627 wrote: »
    You can’t stock at a cow per acre in 2021, with a dairy cow been at 89kgs n ,circa need 1.27 acres a cow if you want to stay under the 170kgs/ha

Thanks for that.

I’m getting a whole new insight into the dairy world at the moment!

Apologies if this question opens a can of worms, but is a derogation worth the hassle?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement

Thanks for that.

Apologies if this question opens a can of worms, but is a derogation worth the hassle?

It is as long as it’s allowable, it mighten even be on the table for next year if the higher powers in Europe pull the pin on it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,227 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Thanks for that.

There's no hassle in derogation.

All you have to do is input your fertilizer and meal records and lime purchases, proof of less slurry spreading, any reseeding done will have to include clover and watercources fenced off.
    And measurements of slurry and dung holding facilities.

Every farmer will be doing the above anyway it's just you'll be a few years ahead of that curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

I used a chlorine free wash last year and everything went perfectly until 3 and 4 day collections and the tbc sky rocketed even though the tank was spotless. maybe it was my old tank a 1990 Muller tank?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,244 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Been on chlorine free a good while now and all is ok. What products are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

I was talking to a guy earlier on that’s changing from dairy to organic tillage. The Coop make a fairly high end AOP cheese and a good percentage goes to the UK. The Coop offered a scheme to reduce production until Brexit settles down...in the first hour over 7 million litres were taken out of production. Scheme closed.

It wouldn’t take much for lads to cease production especially if the land quality allows.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

7 million sounds like alot but it's only 1400 good cows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭straight

Gary kk wrote: »
    7 million sounds like alot but it's only 1400 good cows.

I wouldn't call a 5000 litre cow a good cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

straight wrote: »

I have low standards;)

I was talking to a guy earlier on that’s changing from dairy to organic tillage. The Coop make a fairly high end AOP cheese and a good percentage goes to the UK. The Coop offered a scheme to reduce production until Brexit settles down...in the first hour over 7 million litres were taken out of production. Scheme closed.

It wouldn’t take much for lads to cease production especially if the land quality allows.

What sort of scheme was it? Would want to be fairly good or have fairly viable options out there if repayments are to be made

• Registered Users Posts: 21,204 ✭✭✭✭Water John

straight wrote: »

If you were being paid 54/55 cent/ltr for it, it would be fine, considering it wouldn't be intensive farming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

What sort of scheme was it? Would want to be fairly good or have fairly viable options out there if repayments are to be made

They were offered a few cpl to stop producing. I didn’t ask exactly how much. He did say that there’s quite a few getting out every year... and when he got the opportunity to get paid, he jumped at it. There’s less and less people out there that are willing to spend their lives in drudgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭straight

They were offered a few cpl to stop producing. I didn’t ask exactly how much. He did say that there’s quite a few getting out every year... and when he got the opportunity to get paid, he jumped at it. There’s less and less people out there that are willing to spend their lives in drudgery.

The experts tell us it access to land and finance is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Water John wrote: »
    If you were being paid 54/55 cent/ltr for it, it would be fine, considering it wouldn't be intensive farming.
    No one is being paid that kind of money over the entire lactation. 42/43 average would be more like the height of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Its drudgery if you make it so
    We're milking more cows, outside the spring We're alot less busy than what we used to

Its drudgery if you make it so
    We're milking more cows, outside the spring We're alot less busy than what we used to

Inportant word in the above is we're, could you run your system as a one man show in the spring without having to work stupid hours, your young too, in 20 years time your outlook mIght be entirely different if you had kids coming of age that have a intrest and are helping out brilliant but if they dont a lads viewpoint when nearing retirement age would be the milking game is drudgery

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Inportant word in the above is we're, could you run your system as a one man show in the spring without having to work stupid hours, your young too, in 20 years time your outlook mIght be entirely different if you had kids coming of age that have a intrest and are helping out brilliant but if they dont a lads viewpoint when nearing retirement age would be the milking game is drudgery
    Not many farms around over hundred cows doing it on there own
    I have a relief milker who's looking for more work, I'd simply just hire him to 90% of milking of it came to it and I do all other jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Not many farms around over hundred cows doing it on there own
    I have a relief milker who's looking for more work, I'd simply just hire him to 90% of milking of it came to it and I do all other jobs

It’s easy enough to get a relief milker but finding someone that can come in and run a farm for a few weeks without the help of parents is another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

It’s easy enough to get a relief milker but finding someone that can come in and run a farm for a few weeks without the help of parents is another story.

Actually very doable in Dec Jan and from June until October. Absolutely not during calving breeding, and Nov always a messy month with on off grazing.

Most farmers don't need that however, a part time labour unit the spring is enough.

Thats why you keep it simple

A farm i did placement on left me basically running the place after my 2nd day there

• Advertisement

Timmaay wrote: »
    Actually very doable in Dec Jan and from June until October. Absolutely not during calving breeding, and Nov always a messy month with on off grazing.

Most farmers don't need that however, a part time labour unit the spring is enough.

It's something we should all be working to plan against tho as the farm is developing. If something should happen to you in the spring we should have some form of plan in place someone can come in and manage.

Advertisement