Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭visatorro

Can I give ibr, rota virus and salmonella vaccines at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

visatorro wrote: »

No. Salmonella on it's own. A bit late for salmonella atm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

It’s recommended to just use one vaccine at a time

Three days work so! How long between vaccines is recommended?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Three days work so! How long between vaccines is recommended?

I leave 2 weeks

• Advertisement

Ibr and rotavec would be ok together. Salmonella on it's own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

whelan2 wrote: »
    Ibr and rotavec would be ok together. Salmonella on it's own.

always do 2 together.. vet never has a prob with it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭straight

I got the cheaper rotavirus vaccine this year. Bovigen it's called. It's also a one shot vaccine. Can't say rotavec was doing much for me in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Timmaay wrote: »
    How does that work with say 2 spring calving farms? Do yous have enough work for them in the off season? And will they be under pressure in the springtime doing loads of hours with both farms?

With regard to the spring, he does 9.30 to 7, as he drops off kids in the morning. If something goes very much wrong he'd stay on but we keep it to that, drops back to 9.30 to 6 or earlier if he has something on then later in the year.
    Any extra jobs that need doing in spring would be done the days he is here and post calving then, dosing , fixed time ai or handling and fencing etc would be the same. Generally he'd do fert as well. If either of us need to change days it's fine as well as he is coming the same direction
    Late in the year things can be quieter but I am still building back up numbers so in order to keep him fulltime work for him has to be an option, which is why it is easier between two farms. Tbh others may have a different opinion but even for someone part time for the year say, 150 cows would be needed esp if capital investment is needed on the farm as well If I was to stay back below that long term I would prob need to cut back as too much would be going out rel to the milk output

Did any of ye ever buy those mobile milking machines? It would be handy for getting the colostrum into them compared to putting them into the parlour a few times a day.

https://www.donedeal.ie/farmersnoticeboard-for-sale/mobile-milking-unit/26544455

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

straight wrote: »
    Did any of ye ever buy those mobile milking machines? It would be handy for getting the colostrum into them compared to putting them into the parlour a few times a day.

https://www.donedeal.ie/farmersnoticeboard-for-sale/mobile-milking-unit/26544455
    We did and its sitting there in the shed since

What we started doing now is meal before calving = lots of good quality colostrum

Bottle the surplus good colostrum and have a supply in fridge and freezer and feed this to the calves that are born outside of milking times

If we run short we do milk cows but found the bucket plant another yoke that needed to be cleaned, if you're underpressure it doesn't get cleaned and that's where problems start

Where at least if you milk in the parlour outside milking times you can dip the cluster and it'll do the job as parlour is washed 2x / day

Thats my take on it from my experience

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

We did and its sitting there in the shed since

What we started doing now is meal before calving = lots of good quality colostrum

Bottle the surplus good colostrum and have a supply in fridge and freezer and feed this to the calves that are born outside of milking times

If we run short we do milk cows but found the bucket plant another yoke that needed to be cleaned, if you're underpressure it doesn't get cleaned and that's where problems start

Where at least if you milk in the parlour outside milking times you can dip the cluster and it'll do the job as parlour is washed 2x / day

Thats my take on it from my experience

Largely the same experience here with the separate cluster/dump buckets in the parlour, great in principle to separate colostrum or high scc milk, but in practice a disaster to keep clean so cause more problems, and they are lying up here and I'm back to the simple dump bucket on the existing cluster.

Timmaay wrote:
    Largely the same experience here with the separate cluster/dump buckets in the parlour, great in principle to separate colostrum or high scc milk, but in practice a disaster to keep clean so cause more problems, and they are lying up here and I'm back to the simple dump bucket on the existing cluster.

Handy to milk a cow you didn't want walking across concrete after a hard calving for a couple days. Id agree with tim and GrasstoMilk.
    Don't think I'd call it a luxury item. If it saved a cow it would pay for itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭The Rabbi

I have an old vacuum pump in the calving shed and a bucket plant on a long hose.It is only used if I'm concerned about a cow being unstable walking to the parlour.Neighbour has an inch hydrodare pipe from parlour to calving pens for vacuum to bucket plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

I bought one exact same as that a few years ago, and honestly wouldn’t be without it now, every cow and heifer is miles with it immediately after calving, I sometimes put it on heifers as they are calving. Stomach tube feed the calves with the colostrum.
    Yeah it needs to be kept clean and dry when not in use. I’ve recommended it to a few others and they are doing the same now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

I got the cheaper rotavirus vaccine this year. Bovigen it's called. It's also a one shot vaccine. Can't say rotavec was doing much for me in the first place.

Much cheaper?

Sacrolyte wrote: »
    Much cheaper?

7.50 vs ten euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

They are a great job. Have one in the calving unit and milk every animal after calving routinely and give 4 litres to calf. Also very handy if you have a weak/downer cow that needs to be left apart from the herd for a bit. Would't be without it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭Grueller

Lads and Lassies, I used cryosan plus powder last year for the milking machine detergent. I am chlorine free. Are the liquids as effective chlorine free as they seem to be quite a bit more cost effective?

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭trg

What would be the going rate for maiden heifers? Holstein, EBI ~180, born Feb 20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,096 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

trg wrote: »
    What would be the going rate for maiden heifers? Holstein, EBI ~180, born Feb 20.

6/800 plus all depends on quality and breeding after that

• Registered Users Posts: 21,156 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Interesting art on reducing ration protein. The NI herd is a 10K litre/cow herd and they fail to tell us how much meal is being fed. They tell us only 3/4K litres is coming from grass/silage.
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/reducing-protein-levels-in-dairy-cow-diets-has-tremendous-potential/

First two calved here last night/this morning. Two friesian bulls. I guess now I'll get to explore my theory that friesian bull calves are as profitable as suckler bred stock in the long run!!!

Grueller wrote: »
    First two calved here last night/this morning. Two friesian bulls. I guess now I'll get to explore my theory that friesian bull calves are as profitable as suckler bred stock in the long run!!!

Are they early? When is the due date

whelan2 wrote: »
    Are they early? When is the due date

9th of January was the due date. Not to worry, when all are well and healthy I don't mind. There are 4 or 5 more bagging up well so give it a week and I should have enough for collections to return.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

You're calving early enough? Have you dry ground? First one not due here till the 2nd Feb. Asshole here decides to milk on then the year the first cows due are the latest ever in this farm.....

Mooooo wrote: »
    You're calving early enough? Have you dry ground? First one not due here till the 2nd. Asshole here decides to milk on then the year the first cows due are the latest ever in this farm.....

Very dry ground here moooo. Shale underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 jonopat

Any advice here on improving maiden heifer colostrum quality on calving? Currently on 73dmd pit silage w/ pre calver mineral dusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭trg

mahoney_j wrote: »
    6/800 plus all depends on quality and breeding after that

€845 they went for. They were good enough quality and breeding.

Happy with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,096 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

trg wrote: »
    €845 they went for. They were good enough quality and breeding.

Happy with that.

Great price ,sellers market for dairy stock atm

Advertisement