Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

As mooo said I would think they will be fine if you're worried about them no meal restrict water for a short while and the worst silage you can get you're hands on for a couple of days and they will be dry as a bone

Restricting water isn’t the way to dry them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I'm putting mine on just hay the few dsys before I dry off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭green daries

Restricting water isn’t the way to dry them off.

Ya definitely not for a length of time but a short period of hours works fine without causing any stress of problems

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Have a couple of cows that leaked milk on the cubicles after been dried.

Would I need to seal them again? They didn't get a dry cow tube only a sealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Just as the AI chat is there if you have your own flask but getting the ai man out to do the heifers or a shot of cows or whatever use straws out of the ai mans flask as there would be a VAT saving. Course is well worth doing imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Where is the best place to get the red dye/hardener for milking parlour floors?
    Any idea of cost?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

orm0nd wrote: »
    Have a couple of cows that leaked milk on the cubicles after been dried.

Would I need to seal them again? They didn't get a dry cow tube only a sealer.

Personal opinion only, but I'd use dry cow and retube them. The sealant hasn't worked and infection may have gone up. Better safe than losing a quarter.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Mf310

Any idea of cost?

We got the red dye that you mix in the concrete from Allcrete in mullingar , cant remember the cost as it was 3 years ago but it wasnt overly expensive think it could’ve been 3/4 hundred euro for the 12 unit parlour and dairy , delighted we put it on really brightens up the place .. have also used the powder that goes over the concrete for another job and found it worked well aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Mf310 wrote: »
    We got the red dye that you mix in the concrete from Allcrete in mullingar , cant remember the cost as it was 3 years ago but it wasnt overly expensive think it could’ve been 3/4 hundred euro for the 12 unit parlour and dairy , delighted we put it on really brightens up the place .. have also used the powder that goes over the concrete for another job and found it worked well aswell

Yes, thats the other option
    150e per metre though but would be the real job

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭straight

Did anyone else hear teagasc tested a bunch of fertiliser spinners and the majority of them were not calibrated right. Looks like there will be a fertiliser calibration test similar to the sprayers. Gps is advised and may become mandatory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

straight wrote: »
    Did anyone else hear teagasc tested a bunch of fertiliser spinners and the majority of them were not calibrated right. Looks like there will be a fertiliser calibration test similar to the sprayers. Gps is advised and may become mandatory.

Best of luck to them with that one

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Mf310

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/26717983 In your county and all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

I would wonder if they did blends(101020 etc)vs straight fert. There is a crowd in the uk called scs That are wizards at the job who will do slug pelleters/sprayers also
    http://spreadcheck.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Any idea of cost?

Construction Chemical Suppliers in Dublin
    Very helpful, bought lots off them over the years. Buy over the phone and they'll courier it to you. They're a wholesale supplier so hard to beat on price

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

The best job is the powder for the top, just pan it in well. Some think the full dye mix is better but I don't think it is. Concentrating the powder in the top inch (powder and pan) leaves you with stronger wearing concrete with a richer colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Construction Chemical Suppliers in Dublin
    Very helpful, bought lots off them over the years. Buy over the phone and they'll courier it to you. They're a wholesale supplier so hard to beat on price

That's the crowd I got, couldn't remember earlier. I put it abit lighter and still worked the finest

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭mickey1985

Any idea of cost?

Cost is €45 a bag which does 5 sq mt

Fergus Finlay: English about to see the consequences of their own self-delusion.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-40177416.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Mooooo wrote: »

The 500% increase in area under organics by 2030 and the doubling of biomass from forestry are pretty laughable the latter especially since the department are hellbent on destroying the entire industry

• Advertisement

After listening to a few podcasts from the young farmer of the year I can see what the competition is all about and why he won. He sounds like a nice guy and definitely has his sh1t together alot better than I did at his age but he is just being exploited as a mouthpiece for teagasc to keep the whole gravy train going. His highly profitable, high EBI cows, LESS and all these other environmental measures cost no extra money or are no extra work. (It's all just win win for the farmer apparently). He definitely paints a very rosy picture of dairy farming. I nearly feel like doubling up on the cows myself. Seems like a nice young fella and best of luck to him. Obviously a very hard worker but I do feel that he's being used to keep pumping up the industry propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

What podcasts did you hear him on straight must have a listen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭cosatron

trixi2011 wrote: »
    Cheers il have a listen during milking this evening

jesus man, don't listen to it while milking, you will give your own girls ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

teagasc advisor done a 6 year business plan which could be achieved in year 2
    why oh why do people use them for any financial advise

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

teagasc advisor done a 6 year business plan which could be achieved in year 2
    why oh why do people use them for any financial advise

Was half thinking this morning of running my first year projected figures by then but you’ve just reminded me why I left them in the first place!

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

That's the cows dried off for the year. Time to build up my condition score for the spring.

That's the cows dried off for the year. Time to build up my condition score for the spring.

I'm jealous dryied 10 off this morning still 7 rows milking .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭degetme

Same here this morning

Advertisement