Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,092 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

RedPeppers wrote: »
    Looking for a bit of advice. Have a 1st calver dried off here since 25/11. Noticed today and yesterday a very small amount of milk on the cubicle after she got up. She got sealer at drying off. Her udder is small and absolutly no swelling. Would you leave her be or would it be worth putting up sealer again? I tried to figure out but couldn't which teat is the offending one.

Would there be something sucking her?

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

whelan2 wrote: »
    Would there be something sucking her?

I’m pretty sure there isn’t. I would walk through them all a few times a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,092 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

RedPeppers wrote: »
    I’m pretty sure there isn’t. I would walk through them all a few times a day.

Caught one here the other day. Milk on the mat. Then when I was doing the scrapers caught one sucking

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Mf310

Mooooo wrote: »
    Many of ye going milking on? Will dry off last of Feb and early March calvers this week. Thinking of milking on as have a share of late calvers and 9 empties. Lactose holding above 4.6. Opening last years pit so will see how milk results go the next week.

straight wrote: »
    I value the break more than the couple of hundred euro.

Will milk here until christmas eve, 40 cows milking atm off straw 8 emptys averaging 16L on 3kg nuts and average silage
    Started december with 50 cows milking, few being dryed off as their time comes , 15000L sent up to this evening call it 7000€ nice bit more than a couple hundred euro. 3/4 rows though the parlour 40 minutes morning and evening isnt going to overwork any lad.

To be honest I cant understand lads with these big cubicle sheds and then drying off everything when the 1st of december comes, they have to be fed anyway its not like you can leave the farm for the 2 months and come back in february , everyone has march calvers even milking on 60 march calvers/emptys once a day you could say a figure of 12k easy
    Just my 2 cents although I do understand some lads saying a good day of june milk is almost like a week in december but just seems theres a lot of wasted milk in december by drying end of november.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Mf310 wrote: »
    Will milk here until christmas eve, 40 cows milking atm off straw 8 emptys averaging 16L on 3kg nuts and average silage
    Started december with 50 cows milking, few being dryed off as their time comes , 15000L sent up to this evening call it 7000€ nice bit more than a couple hundred euro. 3/4 rows though the parlour 40 minutes morning and evening isnt going to overwork any lad.

To be honest I cant understand lads with these big cubicle sheds and then drying off everything when the 1st of december comes, they have to be fed anyway its not like you can leave the farm for the 2 months and come back in february , everyone has march calvers even milking on 60 march calvers/emptys once a day you could say a figure of 12k easy
    Just my 2 cents although I do understand some lads saying a good day of june milk is almost like a week in december but just seems theres a lot of wasted milk in december by drying end of november.
    I've been milking all year bar the very odd milling, and dried off last Saturday. I'll be back calving 20 January, so I think I deserve it! Lactating cows eat more silage and produce more slurry, also a lot of water from the parlour. Look I dont disagree, but it depends too on the situation

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭straight

Icmsa are doing a good job compared to IFA.

Farmers demand higher milk prices to compensate for rising sustainability costs
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/farming/arid-40191954.html

Mf310 wrote: »

I supplied 12k litres for december. It's the lack of January supply that bites in February. Alot depends on the value you put on your own time I guess. My routine is smashed since I stopped milking. Eating times, school times and everything need to be worked around again. You'd nearly miss the routine of milking, (nearly). Cows eating less and less ****/parlour washings.

kevthegaff wrote: »
    I've been milking all year bar the very odd milling, and dried off last Saturday. I'll be back calving 20 January, so I think I deserve it! Lactating cows eat more silage and produce more slurry, also a lot of water from the parlour. Look I dont disagree, but it depends too on the situation

Teagasc did the costings on milking through before on an average herd. Profit worked out at 800 euro. They recommended it wasn't worth it for 800 euro.

Would much prefer to be dry as I did last year, but with the late calvers and a few empties there is milk there without putting cows under stress. Hopefully next year I'll be in a position to be able to remove the last 2/ 3 weeks of calving by either selling or having them in calf and will dry off fully for xmas then. Up about 70k litres this year, hopefully the same next year but that will have me back to what I sold in 16, but from a spring as opposed to split calving system

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

Like many others I’ve missed only a handful of milkings this year but still milking tad here. Doesn’t take long and a nice few litres still going in tank from late calvers and a few culls. I just can’t justify drying off late calvers this early. Good help here too with my young lads so will continue to milk right through as has always been done here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Teagasc did the costings on milking through before on an average herd. Profit worked out at 800 euro. They recommended it wasn't worth it for 800 euro.

Cash flow more important than the profit if you need it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

anyone else waiting on balancing SFP?

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

anyone else waiting on balancing SFP?

No it actually came through on time this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Gary kk wrote: »
    No it actually came through on time this year

Same here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Was having doubts about the quality of the crowd I buy my bulk ration of the past few loads so done a mini experiment, let the blend run out and used dairy nuts in the tmr of a different crowd at a kilo lower rate per cow but both blends are ment to be identical in ingredients, wondering now exactly how much milk I've lost the past few months

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Was having doubts about the quality of the crowd I buy my bulk ration of the past few loads so done a mini experiment, let the blend run out and used dairy nuts in the tmr of a different crowd at a kilo lower rate per cow but both blends are ment to be identical in ingredients, wondering now exactly how much milk I've lost the past few months

You have a missed call ;)

Should have sent if off to be tested yourself perhaps

Your milk lorry man is very punctual. That's alot of milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭roosterman71

How can they recommend that 800 quid PROFIT is not worth it? Is it one of the usual Teagasc accountancy guides that didn't included wages, etc? Therefore, was it really "profit"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,076 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Done for tear next Wednesday was going to milk on but been a long year milking oad and will send in circa 20k Ltrs @5.23 and 4.17 for December ,easiest cheque of year to pick up beteween March /April calvers and empties could of milked 2 rows ,wouldn’t of added much time to day but February will be here soon enough .lots of lads I know are milking on ,no nights out so no banging hangovers to deal with And try milk

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Your milk lorry man is very punctual. That's alot of milk.
    That's why he posted it lol

Would they just have ate more tmr with the nuts in it? Gone mad for something new like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

kevthegaff wrote: »
    That's why he posted it lol

i was thinking the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Was having doubts about the quality of the crowd I buy my bulk ration of the past few loads so done a mini experiment, let the blend run out and used dairy nuts in the tmr of a different crowd at a kilo lower rate per cow but both blends are ment to be identical in ingredients, wondering now exactly how much milk €€€s I've lost the past few months

fixed your post for you

had a bit of a "warm" discussion with a rep yesterday, got the usual crap about input costs rising and I asked about the cheap fuel prices and the fact that they had changed the products for cheaper (less efficient) ingredients

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭jaymla627

orm0nd wrote: »
    fixed your post for you

had a bit of a "warm" discussion with a rep yesterday, got the usual crap about input costs rising and I asked about the cheap fuel prices and the fact that they had changed the products for cheaper (less efficient) ingredients

I reckon 4% molasses was going into the blend here, 2% was asked and the soya bean meal that was ment to be 15% was nearer 5% with distillers been used to substitute it, never had any issues with quality the past 8 years with this crowd so they had alot of trust built up that I never thought they be messing with the formulation that was asked for

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Can i get recommendations for detergent companies please. I need to get a few quotes for ourchasing group. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭cute geoge

what sort of detergent because if it is c/f i would tread carefully ,there seems to be alot of trial and error

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

cute geoge wrote: »
    what sort of detergent because if it is c/f i would tread carefully ,there seems to be alot of trial and error

Yes needs to be c/f. Agree there are alot of problems with various detergents out there.

• Advertisement

Would Carbon Group or a similar company have or make em up I wonder if ye were ordering bulk?

Advertisement