Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

trixi2011 wrote: »
    I'm jealous dryied 10 off this morning still 7 rows milking .

I'll be dried on Sunday hopefully
    Flat to the boards then to get concrete done on parlour extension
    I believe you're not too far down the road from me now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

I'll be dried on Sunday hopefully
    Flat to the boards then to get concrete done on parlour extension
    I believe you're not too far down the road from me now?

I could well be I have relocated to the south east is that your general area ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

What’s the story with giving a calf to someone that’s not a farmer, ie, have no herd number?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭alps

What’s the story with giving a calf to someone that’s not a farmer, ie, have no herd number?

Jaysus....if you could do that, it would solve the Jersey bull issue...

alps wrote: »
    Jaysus....if you could do that, it would solve the Jersey bull issue...

Damn.
    One of the lads suggested that he’d put up a poster in the village offering free calves to good homes. I said work away but don’t use my number. His phone has been hopping all afternoon so he took down the poster after work.
    The natives just love something for free.

Best thing was they all wanted to know where to buy fresh milk...he told them we sell it for 66cpl.

Too feckin easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Damn.
    One of the lads suggested that he’d put up a poster in the village offering free calves to good homes. I said work away but don’t use my number. His phone has been hopping all afternoon so he took down the poster after work.
    The natives just love something for free.

Best thing was they all wanted to know where to buy fresh milk...he told them we sell it for 66cpl.

Too feckin easy.

Dont forget the brown ones give chocolate milk

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

trixi2011 wrote: »
    I could well be I have relocated to the south east is that your general area ?
    Tipp?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,062 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

A good time to invest in the dog food business in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭alps

They'd be better off breeding all beef calves and buying their replacements from Ireland...

In fact, I might even know where they'd pick up a few..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Just throwing this up as there is often a few little clever tips posted here.have ye seen anyway of reducing the number of cows that s##t in the parlour.say for example we never hold the cows before crossing the road as we find there is very little dung on the road if they are walking away

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

I don't hit the meal button until ready to put on the clusters, if they need to be dry wiped or cleaned I do that first. Seems to help a bit. Also if holding cows once the 4th row is gone out I then pull in the backing gate and the remaining cows do most of their dunging then as they move away from the gate. I do also have 3 cows that I actually think year round they don't **** anywhere else var in the parlour. If I was at the point where I could sell em I nearly would!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭Grueller

Have one cow here that the kids called Winnie, as in Winnie the Pooh because she poos nowhere except the parlour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Tipp?

Wex

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

Surprise ... five weeks early but not to small

Gary kk wrote: »
    Surprise ... five weeks early but not to small

Have a heifer 6 weeks out making a nice little udder atm

• Registered Users Posts: 29,091 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Have a heifer 6 weeks out making a nice little udder atm

Are you still milking or dry?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Hi folks, a suckler farmer here looking for advice.
    Was thinking of feeding a bit of extra protein to cows before calving this coming season to get better colostrum and milk yield up front. A few too many health problems with calves recently. LimX and Saler cows mostly.
    Anyone here ever done it and measured the difference on milkers? Worth the cost or not? Silage is 68DMD 11.8 protein.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Are you still milking or dry?

Drying last 50 in the am
    Digger, shuttering and shed due next week

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

Nice surprise. About five weeks early but healthy. I can call this the start of 2021 calving or the end of 2020

Edit sorry I thought the first post failed to load.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,091 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Hi folks, a suckler farmer here looking for advice.
    Was thinking of feeding a bit of extra protein to cows before calving this coming season to get better colostrum and milk yield up front. A few too many health problems with calves recently. LimX and Saler cows mostly.
    Anyone here ever done it and measured the difference on milkers? Worth the cost or not? Silage is 68DMD 11.8 protein.

What pre calving minerals do you feed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

whelan2 wrote: »
    What pre calving minerals do you feed?

100g of dry cow mineral dusted.
    Mag and protected trace minerals

Many of ye going milking on? Will dry off last of Feb and early March calvers this week. Thinking of milking on as have a share of late calvers and 9 empties. Lactose holding above 4.6. Opening last years pit so will see how milk results go the next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭straight

Mooooo wrote: »
    Many of ye going milking on? Will dry off last of Feb and early March calvers this week. Thinking of milking on as have a share of late calvers and 9 empties. Lactose holding above 4.6. Opening last years pit so will see how milk results go the next week.

I value the break more than the couple of hundred euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

No, pulling the pin later this week. Empties % was low this year, so sold them as milkers a month ago. Few duds to go to the factory this week, then legs up. What with covid, ended up working every day, to varying degrees, this year. Looking forward to the break and Christmas. Charge the batteries for Feb.

straight wrote: »
    I value the break more than the couple of hundred euro.

The way my thinking is at the minute, the Jan milk would cover itself and the cost of the lad working here 3 days a week. His cost will be there regardless so plan is to make use of that later in the year, hopefully anyway. Will be 3 or 4 rows max anyway.
    Also will focus the mind for next May, less late calvers and it wouldn't be an option!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Milking on OAD as usual, calving is getting more compact every year but I still have about 20 mature good milkers calving from April until early June. End's up 2rows end of Jan before it kicks off again. SCC not great I'll admit. In terms of the workload/ break, it doesn't bother me at all, your feeding every day anyways so half hr or so extra isn't a problem. I'll probably end up going dry next year or the year after as them late calvers get pushed out, I'd happily go travel for 2wks or so every January while nothing much happening, but no hope of that this year ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

Looking for a bit of advice. Have a 1st calver dried off here since 25/11. Noticed today and yesterday a very small amount of milk on the cubicle after she got up. She got sealer at drying off. Her udder is small and absolutly no swelling. Would you leave her be or would it be worth putting up sealer again? I tried to figure out but couldn't which teat is the offending one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Finishing tomorrow but its the year to keep going as theres no nights outs so there no sick mornings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭straight

The way my thinking is at the minute, the Jan milk would cover itself and the cost of the lad working here 3 days a week. His cost will be there regardless so plan is to make use of that later in the year, hopefully anyway. Will be 3 or 4 rows max anyway.
    Also will focus the mind for next May, less late calvers and it wouldn't be an option!

Different story for you then when you have help. I'll miss the few bob in February.

Advertisement