Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 has been great

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

He's the same one that was on about his friends laughing at overweight exes and girlfriends. I wouldn't even expect anything less from him.

And did I say that I would do that? And it wasn't laughing at the women, it was slagging each others taste for having dated a fat person.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Cilar wrote: »
    Probably controversial as everybody seems to be cheering the "return to normal", but:

- Lower traffic & traffic pollution
    - Shops much quieter / less people / more peaceful
    - No airplane noise pollution
    - Less traffic noise pollution
    - Working from home, no commuting, no seeing people you don't really like anyways, less stressful
    - People walking locally instead of taking car
    - Better cycling infrastructure being built
    - Loads of savings from not spending
    People dying and losing their jobs..some people now with lasting health issues?? Yeah ...great.

Some people lost family members over this and couldn't go to their funerals or be there with them for their last moments.

Controversial? Its lacking compassion and being unable to see a world beyond one's own bubble of experience.

I had an easy lockdown ..no one died...doesn't mean most people had it like that.
    People will only support things when it's not an inconvenience to themselves. Just like the "supporting local!"....people only supporting it because they benefit and feel good about themselves, but let's see them support them when money is running low, see how much they care about supporting them then!

Going broke to support local business is not an inconvenience ..its something you just can't do.

It doesn't mean people are out for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

Strumms wrote: »
    It’s been shîtè. No positives.

If you are a green headed and hearted individual maybe you can rock up to somebody who has lost somebody through getting covid and impart the above....over 78,000 of us sick with it, over 2000 died from it.... stress, illness, death, worry, depression, fear en mass...

It’s not controversial what you posted, it’s wrong though. 2020 wasn’t great, far from it.

so every year in the last 50 years you could say isnt great. famines in africa, war, billions of people surviving on less than 1dollar a day. AIDs, ebola virus, smallpox, SARS the original.

Oh wait 78,000 of us got sick. sure feck people in other countries living through the above plight, we only care about ourselves.

grow up.

It's been overall positive for me living in Vietnam.

I had a bunch of time off work early in the year on half pay and a good break was welcome. It killed my small online business as everyone flocked to Zoom and honestly, I'm okay with that now. I haven't coded in months and am happier for it. No more getting a message and hoping it isn't a client with a problem either.

Life's been perfectly normal for ages now. No masks or social distancing or anything. Work, meet friends for beers, and hang out with my new girlfriend. That could all change if it seeps into Vietnam badly but it's come back twice now and they've caught it both times so I think it'll be ok here until the vaccine comes about.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,191 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

People dying and losing their jobs..some people now with lasting health issues?? Yeah ...great.

Some people lost family members over this and couldn't go to their funerals or be there with them for their last moments.

Controversial? Its lacking compassion and being unable to see a world beyond one's own bubble of experience.

I had an easy lockdown ..no one died...doesn't mean most people had it like that.

Going broke to support local business is not an inconvenience ..its something you just can't do.

It doesn't mean people are out for themselves.

That is your experience, and opinion though. Has PC gone so far that people now feel obliged to tell others how they should feel or how happy/sad they should be?

• Advertisement

Dav010 wrote: »
    That is your experience, and opinion though. Has PC gone so far that people now feel obliged to tell others how they should feel or how happy/sad they should be?
    Don't start that nonsense.

Don't start that nonsense.

The nonsense started when people started to tell others that they didn’t feel sad enough, or that they shouldn’t be saying they had a good year. Since when have people been obligated to feel the same emotions as others?

The nonsense started when people started to tell others that they didn’t feel sad enough, or that they shouldn’t be saying they had a good year. Since when have people been obligated to feel the same emotions as others?
    Give it a rest please. Stop politicizing everything. Some common sense.

Im not inserting an emotion chip in you if i say don't laugh at a funeral.

Not everything is about politics.

That’s neither here nor there & it’s not nonsense. It’s matter of fact that some posters here took a direct route down several peoples throats for daring to mention one or two good things that happened this year.

YES covid is a horrible existence.
    YES 2020 has been a bit toss
    YES people have unfortunately passed away, a lot of people.

But despite all of that - we can still look at the good things.

For me, the year wasn’t a total write off.

- I’ve managed to thankfully stave away covid so far
    - no one I know has been ill with it/died from it (touch Wood)
    - I moved into my new, permanent house. No more renting!

Yet despite those small highlights, if some people are anything to go off, I’m not allowed be happy about them. And if I do choose to be happy in any part of my life, I lack empathy & according to one post in particular my opinion doesn’t matter at that point.

Now, can we ALL just grow up a bit & stop telling people how to feel?

You have empathy? Fab!
    You don’t have empathy? Fair enough!

You’re not changing peoples opinions by going after them for how they feel, you just look like a doofus.

Would you go around telling people at the funeral how sad they should be?

It is not politics, it is political correctness gone awry.

• Advertisement

Would you go around telling people at the funeral how sad they should be?

It is not politics, it is political correctness gone awry.

No. For the same reason i wouldn't laugh at one. Manners.

Stop politicizing covid. Stop linking EVERYTHING to a political theory.

Hey don't laugh at my mother's funeral is not a political theory.

In fact i think you would find a lot of right wingers would feel even more strongly about it.
    I have always believed in the idea that right wingers are very decent people with a concern for human decency and despite the current climate i still hold that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

That’s neither here nor there & it’s not nonsense. It’s matter of fact that some posters here took a direct route down several peoples throats for daring to mention one or two good things that happened this year.

YES covid is a horrible existence.
    YES 2020 has been a bit toss
    YES people have unfortunately passed away, a lot of people.

But despite all of that - we can still look at the good things.

For me, the year wasn’t a total write off.

- I’ve managed to thankfully stave away covid so far
    - no one I know has been ill with it/died from it (touch Wood)
    - I moved into my new, permanent house. No more renting!

Yet despite those small highlights, if some people are anything to go off, I’m not allowed be happy about them. And if I do choose to be happy in any part of my life, I lack empathy & according to one post in particular my opinion doesn’t matter at that point.

Now, can we ALL just grow up a bit & stop telling people how to feel?

You have empathy? Fab!
    You don’t have empathy? Fair enough!

You’re not changing peoples opinions by going after them for how they feel, you just look like a doofus.

Don't forget there has also been some pretty nasty name calling, referring to posters as cúnts, nazis etc. Pretty horrible stuff but there you go. Some people just never learned to play nice.

I personally pointed out where I had experienced difficulty this year with a first time pregnancy and birth, without my parents close by and them not being able to meet their first grandchild and all I got was "you need support? Sure years ago women had six kids with no support". When I tried to point out that we can be sad for global issues while still being happy in our own selves, I was told I was full of shít and self-centred. So, while empathy is being peddled and lauded here, it seems that it's application is quite selective! :D

You may have to accept that not everyone feels the way you do, and it is wrong for you to think they have to.

You may have to accept that not everyone feels the way you do, and it is wrong for you to think they have to.
    I know not everyone feels as I do.

That is why we fake it.

When i go to your mother's funeral ...i fake it. Because i don't feel as you do. But i want you to think i do. To help you feel less alone.

I am not asking them to feel it. I am asking them to fake it.

As i said i had a much easier 2020 than most people.

The idea that this is a leftest thing only ....is really insulting to right wing people....many of whom have been there for ME at such times ..when i am sure their feelings didn't match mine ..and they would much rather be off doing their own thing rather than comforting me.

I take offense at you calling it a purely PC thing its not ..its a right wing thing too...that is if the phrase taking offense is allowed now?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

That is why we fake it.

When i go to your mother's funeral ...i fake it. Because i don't feel as you do. But i want you to think i do. To help you feel less alone.

The idea that this is a leftest thing only ....is really insulting to right wing people....many of whom have been there for ME at such times ..when i am sure their feelings didn't match mine ..and they would much rather be off doing their own thing rather than comforting me.

Jesus christ but that's taking shìt talk to another level :pac:

That is why we fake it.

Does that mean we aren't allowed to say out loud that we, personally, have experienced positives in 2020? 2020 was the best year of my life so far because I met my daughter. Why would I pretend that isn't the case? Should I fake being miserable because she was born in 2020?

Jesus christ but that's taking shìt talk to another level :pac:
    Hello you

Antares35 wrote: »
    Does that mean we aren't allowed to say out loud that we, personally, have experienced positives in 2020? 2020 was the best year of my life so far because I met my daughter. Why would I pretend that isn't the case? Should I fake being miserable because she was born in 2020?
    Of course not!

Congrats! :)

Im delighted for you.

But now be honest. You wouldn't laugh at a funeral any more than i would come in full mourning to your daughter's christening now would you?

Both would be ..rather not the done thing.

And i hope you have lovely christening for her when the time comes.

Of course not!

Congrats! :)

Im delighted for you.

But now be honest. You wouldn't laugh at a funeral any more than i would come in full mourning to your daughter's christening now would you?

Both would be ..rather not the done thing.

And i hope you have lovely christening for her when the time comes.

I'm an atheist so my daughter won't be baptised. You shouldn't assume these things.

Why the fixation on funerals? Nobody in their right mind would laugh at a funeral. The issue arose because posters were being told off for expressing online that they have had positives in 2020. That isn't laughing at a funeral.

That is why we fake it.

I take offense at you calling it a purely PC thing its not ..its a right wing thing too...that is if the phrase taking offense is allowed now?

It the risk of labouring the analogy, for a considerable number of people there has been no “funeral”, they have not been negatively impacted nor do they have anyone close to them that have. You can’t go walking up to a random person on the street and say “ Do you not realise I’m sad, you should be too”.

Other people are not obligated to share your sadness, though they may elect to do so. I think it is an extreme form of arrogance and political correctness that one person tries to dictate another persons emotional response, and then chastises them if they don’t agree.

• Advertisement

I'm an atheist so my daughter won't be baptised. You shouldn't assume these things.

Why the fixation on funerals? Nobody in their right mind would laugh at a funeral. The issue arose because posters were being told off for expressing online that they have had positives in 2020. That isn't laughing at a funeral.
    Perhaps the OP was poorly expressed.

It would be unusual for someone to think saying 2020 has been great would not meet with disagreement.

Perhaps something along the lines of ..I know 2020 has been bad ..but what are some GOOD things that happened that we can take joy in?

This is not me censoring ....or even suggesting ..but explaining.

Yes posters have been disagreed with. But i would have thought anyone could have told them that would happen.

I believe its called ...reading the room.

It the risk of labouring the analogy, for a considerable number of people there has been no “funeral”, they have not been negatively impacted nor do they have anyone close to them that have. You can’t go walking up to a random person on the street and say “ Do you not realise I’m sad, you should be too”.

Other people are not obligated to share your sadness, though they may elect to do so. I think it is an extreme form of arrogance and political correctness that one person tries to dictate another persons emotional response, and then chastises them if they don’t agree.
    You are doing that in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,601 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

That is why we fake it.

I'd much rather someone was honest and indifferent than rather fake empathy and sympathy.

Are you seriously suggesting we fake emotional responses to fit in with expected societal norms?

Perhaps the OP was poorly expressed.

It would be unusual for someone to think saying 2020 has been great would not meet with disagreement.

Perhaps something along the lines of ..I know 2020 has been bad ..but what are some GOOD things that happened that we can take joy in?

This is not me censoring ....or even suggesting ..but explaining.

Yes posters have been disagreed with. But i would have thought anyone could have told them that would happen.

I believe its called ...reading the room.

I agree with you..I actually made that point yesterday that OP could have worded it better and in a more sensitive way. But I also pointed out there have been threads along the same lines with a more sensitive title, and people have still been berated for daring to be happy or recognising the positives. So, I don't know. It feels a little bit like we just aren't allowed tbh.

Posters will come in with "easy knowing you weren't affected, didn't lose your job, didn't lose a loved one etc" - I know I wasn't, and for that I am grateful.

Are you seriously suggesting we fake emotional responses to fit in with expected societal norms?
    Yes.
    Enough with the hippie stuff! :p

I agree with you..I actually made that point yesterday that OP could have worded it better and in a more sensitive way. But I also pointed out there have been threads along the same lines with a more sensitive title, and people have still been berated for daring to be happy or recognising the positives. So, I don't know. It feels a little bit like we just aren't allowed tbh.
    I 100% agree with your very sensitive and well worded post. :)

I can understand from your perspective now that i know more why you might be feeling as you are. Someone has something wonderful happen its all doom and gloom etc.

Also I have decided i hate hippies. Not sure why.

I guess evil loves to hate! }: )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

In fact i think you would find a lot of right wingers would feel even more strongly about it.
    I have always believed in the idea that right wingers are very decent people with a concern for human decency and despite the current climate i still hold that.

Would you whinge at someone's birthday party that a relative died this year so they shouldn't be happy?

2020 has been wonderful and nobody can change my mind or make me feel guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Also I have decided i hate hippies. Not sure why.

But I like hippies so you should too, that's how it works around here

• Advertisement

But I like hippies so you should too, that's how it works around here
    ya got me

Advertisement