Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 has been great

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Antares35 wrote: »
    I agree with you..I actually made that point yesterday that OP could have worded it better and in a more sensitive way. But I also pointed out there have been threads along the same lines with a more sensitive title, and people have still been berated for daring to be happy or recognising the positives. So, I don't know. It feels a little bit like we just aren't allowed tbh.

Posters will come in with "easy knowing you weren't affected, didn't lose your job, didn't lose a loved one etc" - I know I wasn't, and for that I am grateful.

I would have loved to lose my job, only think I missed out on. 60+% pay for no work.

Perhaps the OP was poorly expressed.

It would be unusual for someone to think saying 2020 has been great would not meet with disagreement.

Perhaps something along the lines of ..I know 2020 has been bad ..but what are some GOOD things that happened that we can take joy in?

This is not me censoring ....or even suggesting ..but explaining.

Yes posters have been disagreed with. But i would have thought anyone could have told them that would happen.

I believe its called ...reading the room.

This room should be read. It's the happy room.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

GarIT wrote: »
    This room should be read. It's the happy room.
    In the happy house.

Everyone is so so happy.

I'm an atheist so my daughter won't be baptised. You shouldn't assume these things.

Why the fixation on funerals? Nobody in their right mind would laugh at a funeral. The issue arose because posters were being told off for expressing online that they have had positives in 2020. That isn't laughing at a funeral.

I know people who have laughed at a funeral, it's actually a good part of the grieving process. Talking about the person's life and halving a laugh at the funny bits after a few drinks.

Everyone is so happy in this thread. And it shows ...in fact everyone is so happy on this forum.....feel the warmth
    GOT BANNED FOR SARCASM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I know people who have laughed at a funeral, it's actually a good part of the grieving process. Talking about the person's life and halving a laugh at the funny bits after a few drinks.

Ever get nervous laughter? I think Timmy Tiernan did a good one on that :)

I don't have this.
    When I am nervous ...i sound deathly calm...and look it ..its a curse and a blessing. I look like i can handle anything.

But i get no sympathy.

I wonder if its really nervous laughter tho...or just laughing at the absurdity of the situation...like its soo serious....like kids do

ILoveYourVibes why are you comparing this thread to laughing at a funeral? Seems a bit overreaching. Finding some things not to be depressed about or sick of isn’t the same as laughing at someone’s pain.

“You should fake it”

You should stop telling people what to do, as though your some beam of untouched righteousness.

ILoveYourVibes why are you comparing this thread to laughing at a funeral? Seems a bit overreaching. Finding some things not to be depressed about or sick of isn’t the same as laughing at someone’s pain.

“You should fake it”

You should stop telling people what to do, as though your some beam of untouched righteousness.
    Wait a min ...are you not telling me what to do?

Everyone sounds like such happy people in this thread...ITS GREAT CRAIC:pac:

I've giggled carrying my granny's coffin. The priest was throwing oil over the coffin and got me right in the face with a load of it.
    My dad made a comment along the lines of the priest knowing he needed to target me not being religious. I think a few people laughed.

• Advertisement

Wait a min ...are you not telling me what to do?

Everyone sounds like such happy people in this thread...ITS GREAT CRAIC

No, clearly I’m not. What I said was you SHOULD stop, I did not order you to stop.

No, clearly I’m not. What I said was you SHOULD stop, I did not order you to stop.
    Ok that sounds a bit too pedantic to be craic.

You sound happy.

siouxsie was great

Ok that sounds a bit too pedantic to be craic.

You sound happy.

Maybe there's too much energy being spent defending oneself to be happy.

I've giggled carrying my granny's coffin. The priest was throwing oil over the coffin and got me right in the face with a load of it.
    My dad made a comment along the lines of the priest knowing he needed to target me not being religious. I think a few people laughed.

Happened my OH at my friend's mother's funeral. He's not Catholic, and he got hit with holy water. It was like an unsolicited baptism! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Me on a pre covid day!

vv

That pretentious goth girl ....is me I HAVE TO KEEP my street cred ...one smile its OVER for me.

Its us vrs the cheerleaders.

And to be appropriately sad perhaps.

They call it 'emotional labor'.
    [Emotional labor is the process of managing feelings and expressions to fulfill the emotional requirements of a job. More specifically, workers are expected to regulate their emotions during interactions with customers, co-workers and superiors.
    Nurses teachers etc ...to a lesser extent waiters ..managers etc.

What a bonkers thread. From the very beginning of the pandemic I was aware of the wide reaching impact it would have. It did take me a while though to understand that many people would be happy with the changes. For me I struggled and still do. Even with the vaccine lighting the way I can't help but worry about my freedom not returning.

I feel sad for those who have succumbed to fear. Being cautious is adhering to the restrictions as best we can, whereas fear is letting Covid completely dictate our lives and how we feel. Running from a shop in panic because someone wasn't wearing a mask, leaving your house once a month even though you're a 30 Yr old healthy individual.

I mentioned the good things that happened in my life this year but I also experienced hopelessness and a sort of grief. Much like the fear of catching it that has gripped others I battled my own issues.

Others have travelled in a different boat and there's not a bother on them and I'm glad. What I do continue to have a problem with is the lack of understanding that we are all different and managing this in different ways. It can be easy to say "why can't everyone just stay at home" if home is happy. Perhaps it can be said in a different way though, "Its not easy for you to stay at home but I think it will protect you from becoming sick or passing the virus on to others".

Just a bit more compassion but for Jaysus sake don't fake it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,872 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

so every year in the last 50 years you could say isnt great. famines in africa, war, billions of people surviving on less than 1dollar a day. AIDs, ebola virus, smallpox, SARS the original.

Oh wait 78,000 of us got sick. sure feck people in other countries living through the above plight, we only care about ourselves.

grow up.

Grow up ? Plenty grown thanks... but you continue with your petulant little ill informed remarks good man.

Boards.ie is an Irish site. What is being discussed in the main is OUR experiences with covid. I don’t live in Africa nor do I know anybody who does. So taking an interest or having an opinion on something I cannot influence, affect and is thousands of miles away is futile.

78,000 people ill and 2158 dead here though... but Africa ?! I think you need a lie down and a satsuma.

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    78,000 people ill and 2158 dead here though... but Africa ?! I think you need a lie down and a satsuma.

Did 78,000 get sick enough to require hospitalisation, or at the very least had more than a few days feeling under the weather? Or are we talking here about positive test results? Not the same thing at all. Can you link to where you got this 78k figure from?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,123 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Grow up ? Plenty grown thanks... but you continue with your petulant little ill informed remarks good man.

Boards.ie is an Irish site. What is being discussed in the main is OUR experiences with covid. I don’t live in Africa nor do I know anybody who does. So taking an interest or having an opinion on something I cannot influence, affect and is thousands of miles away is futile.

78000 positive tests, not ill, here.

Apparently Matt Damon loved the lockdown in Ireland as well, the rotter.

https://www.irishpost.com/news/matt-damon-loved-lockdown-in-ireland-and-is-considering-moving-there-george-clooney-claims-200334

Dav010 wrote: »
    78000 positive tests, not ill, here.

Covid, is an illness. If you are diagnosed you have the illness, you are ill.

There are people who have been diagnosed with cancer, who at the moment have no symptoms. They still have the illness and are still... ill.

Me on a pre covid day!

vv

That pretentious goth girl ....is me I HAVE TO KEEP my street cred ...one smile its OVER for me.

Its us vrs the cheerleaders.

Covid, is an illness. If you are diagnosed you have the illness, you are ill.

This is true. However a positive test is not a diagnosis of COVID 19 disease.
    There are people who have been diagnosed with cancer, who at the moment have no symptoms. They still have the illness and are still... ill.

This is a basic misunderstanding of illness.

To be diagnosed with cancer, you have to have a tumour or some other signs of progressive disease. We create cancerous cells all the time, and our immune system kills them. If you tested everyone in the country all the time for these cells, we would have 5 million "cases" of cancer too. Same goes for flu, common cold etc. At any one time we probably have several viral infections that don't cause any symptoms.

Same with HPV - most people are infected with this virus, but no one would make the claim that they have HPV "disease" unless it causes something like cervical cancer.

To claim we have 78000 people who have been ill with COVID in Ireland is totally misleading and factually incorrect. What would be more useful is the hospitalisation and death stats as a result of COVID.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Relationship broke up, people have died, and on the unemployment line but this is part of the life we live. It will never be perfect. We are living through a once in a generation event. Find peace with the reality of life everyone. We are all going the same way, covid or no covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭anewme

What a bonkers thread.

It's very 2020 definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

When McGregor went into a fight without any thrash talking I knew it was going to be a strange year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

i made my will at 40 y/o. Not because of Covid, just wanted to get it off my to-do list.

• Advertisement
Advertisement