Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 has been great

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

RLF71 wrote: »
    Oh it is not misplaced at all. And if you cannot grasp the message then that is on you. I'm not here to school you.

Seems like you are. I thought you were leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

GarIT wrote: »

They won't be able to get all hett up about the happy people if they go to a misery thread. It's much better to lurk in a thread where people are trying to be happy, and **** on them for daring to do so.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Alright folks, let's cool it a bit. People are entitled to have an opposing view as long as they express it in a civil manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 RLF71

I guess that is what you get for thinking then.

Great thing about COVID is you don't have to be creeped out by that weird person who hangs out in your social group and won't leave despite knowing they aren't wanted.

Maybe I am a little glad that people like that suffered.

• Advertisement

Great thing about COVID is you don't have to be creeped out by that weird person who hangs out in your social group and won't leave despite knowing they aren't wanted.

Maybe I am a little glad that people like that suffered.

That is all you came up with as a retort? Lol I will leave it at there and not derail this thread further.

When someone’s whole live has been turned upside down for one reason or another, as we all have experienced this year, no matter what. That could be someone in your family or close to you died from covid (or any other reason), you lost a job, hours were cut, stuck away at Christmas, can’t visit family, whatever it is, those things don’t define us or our emotions. Despite these things we can try to enjoy small victories or nice things. It’s more or less all we’ve got at the moment.

We don’t have to be sad constantly or you’re disrespecting the dead, that’s nonsense. And neither do we have to mourn for those we don’t know, I mean what are we mourning exactly? I think seeing any number of people dying for any reason is awful, but you can’t seriously expect everyone to feel tremendous sorrow over it or just ignore things that make them happy in spite of it.

In these times take any little thing that brings you even a small bit of happiness, don’t mind someone trying to begrudge you that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,231 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Perhaps the title/thread would have caused less offence if it had been worded something like “Did anything good happen to you in 2020?” or “Were there any positives in 2020?”.

Dav010 wrote: »
    Perhaps the title/thread would have caused less offence if it had been worded something like “Did anything good happen to you in 2020?” or “Were there any positives in 2020?”.

I thought about that earlier alright, definitely could have been worded better, no offence OP! But then again I've been on threads that were worded as such and some people still got offended because we aren't all miserable so, what can you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭anewme

We don’t have to be sad constantly or you’re disrespecting the dead, that’s nonsense. And neither do we have to mourn for those we don’t know, I mean what are we mourning exactly? I think seeing any number of people dying for any reason is awful, but you can’t seriously expect everyone to feel tremendous sorrow over it or just ignore things that make them happy in spite of it.

In these times take any little thing that brings you even a small bit of happiness, don’t mind someone trying to begrudge you that.

Its empathy. You are mourning their situation.

I dont think I will ever get over the scenes from the hospitals in Italy. They were shocking and brutal. I did t t know any if the people but I felt a tremendous sense of empathy and sorrow.

And the human stories of couples living 70 years together dying alone.

And our elderly dying alone in nursing homes without anyone to hold their hand.

So yes, it is very possible and normal to mourn people you dont know.

No one is saying that people should not take happiness where they can. The OP does not show ibe ounce of empathy and almost comes across as gloating, even the title of it.

it's a bit glib in the middle of a global pandemic to be wishing for more lockdowns just because you are anti social, or saying 2020 was great due to less traffic on the N7.

• Advertisement

anewme wrote: »

I dont think I will ever get over the scenes from the hospitals in Italy. They were shocking and brutal. I did t t know any if the people but I felt a tremendous sense of empathy and sorrow.

No one is saying that people should not take happiness where they can. The OP does not show ibe ounce of empathy and almost comes across as gloating, even the title of it.

it's a bit glib in the middle of a global pandemic to be wishing for more lockdowns just because you are anti social, or saying 2020 was great due to less traffic on the N7.

We don't need to show empathy everywhere. So yes people are saying we can't be happy at all.

We don't need to show empathy everywhere. So yes people are saying we can't be happy at all.

I think any logical right minded adult will accept that 2020 has been brutal and unforgiving, and if we had the power to undo it all, and save all those people, surely we would. But, this is not a choice we were given, and being happy in ourselves might not be considered "appropriate" in the context of such human tragedy, but being miserable does not bring them back either.

I think it just comes back to the point again that having empathy on a global level for huge human tragedy whilst also recognising the benefits you might have experienced from the change in our culture, are not mutually exclusive. It's very simplistic to take this approach.

Which begs the question, what is empathy? How do we practice it? What does it mean on a day to day basis? Do the relatives of those who died feel better if they see that everyone else is miserable? Is it a little bit like those Facebook posts about human tragedy, where hundreds of people post "RIP" (while also reading all the salacious details of what transpired)? Do the victims family really care if internet strangers post "RIP"?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

KaneToad wrote: »
    Are you happy with this scenario?

I wasn’t, so I left which is great. Following that pay freezes, ban on hiring and from what I’m told the ‘sorry to disturb you at home’ calls still happening...

I’d encourage those under pressure from unscrupulous employers to be careful...all well and good surviving covid but if your heath takes a hit because of hassle from your job, not ideal either.

The thing is you’re just assuming how they feel. Should everyone start their posts with a disclaimer if they’re even possibly going to be received as positive?

*Disclaimer I feel great empathy and sorrow for all those who’ve lost their lives, this post which may be humorous or positive in nature is by no means intended to offend, mock, make light of, or undermine the current global situation in any way. Please read posts with caution, some disproportionate outrage may occur.

Antares35 wrote: »
    I think any logical right minded adult will accept that 2020 has been brutal and unforgiving, and if we had the power to undo it all, and save all those people, surely we would. But, this is not a choice we were given, and being happy in ourselves might not be considered "appropriate" in the context of such human tragedy, but being miserable does not bring them back either.

I think it just comes back to the point again that having empathy on a global level for huge human tragedy whilst also recognising the benefits you might have experienced from the change in our culture, are not mutually exclusive. It's very simplistic to take this approach.

Which begs the question, what is empathy? How do we practice it? What does it mean on a day to day basis? Do the relatives of those who died feel better if they see that everyone else is miserable? Is it a little bit like those Facebook posts about human tragedy, where hundreds of people post "RIP" (while also reading all the salacious details of what transpired)? Do the victims family really care if internet strangers post "RIP"?

I have never read a post that was so self centred and full of **** as this. Well done to you.

I have never read a post that was so self centred and full of **** as this. Well done to you.

You again. You're clearly a very angry and upset person.

What IS your problem man? Has everyone in your family died from covid? Like not to be rude, but you’re being very intolerable and need to chill the hell out. You’re attacking anyone with an opposing view point and it’s just not on.

Reported.

The thing is you’re just assuming how they feel. Should everyone start their posts with a disclaimer if they’re even possibly going to be received as positive?

*Disclaimer I feel great empathy and sorrow for all those who’ve lost their lives, this post which may be humorous or positive in nature is by no means intended to offend, mock, make light of, or undermine the current global situation in any way. Please read posts with caution, some disproportionate outrage may occur.

You might upset RLF71 if you include that :D

You might upset RLF71 if you include that :D

I reckon just not agreeing with him is all I need to do to incite their rage against everyone!

What IS your problem man? Has everyone in your family died from covid? Like not to be rude, but you’re being very intolerable and need to chill the hell out. You’re attacking anyone with an opposing view point and it’s just not on.

Reported.

Report away as if your opinion holds any weight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭anewme

You don’t need to show empathy anywhere.

Empathising with others is in your make up or not.

And no one is saying you can’t be happy at all. But saying 2020 is great because you don’t have to engage with people you don’t like when others have lost family and friends in the worst Of circumstances is a bit selfish.

Report away as if your opinion holds any weight.

Ah yeah of course because yours is the only opinion that matters.

You again. You're clearly a very angry and upset person.

That is a very shallow response, a bit expected really.

Ah yeah of course because yours is the only opinion that matters.

Really? That is all you have?

You don’t need to show empathy anywhere.

Empathising with others is in your make up or not.

And no one is saying you can’t be happy at all. But saying 2020 is great because you don’t have to engage with people you don’t like when others have lost family and friends in the worst Of circumstances is a bit selfish.

I know it's selfish. And I'm fine with that. I said as much already in this thread.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

You were asked to post in a civil manner - seeing as you cannot even manage that, please do not post in this thread again

Happy Christmas :)

Necro is my person of the day for no particular reason whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭boardise

I got a new dog , so its been grand for me getting to know the little mad bastard .

I wonder does the dog feel the same ? :-)

• Advertisement

boardise wrote: »
    I wonder does the dog feel the same ? :-)

Was chatting to the vet about that before (dogs getting used to having owners WFH all the time) and she reckoned a lot of dogs will need therapy when we all go back to the office :D

Advertisement