Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 has been great

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Augeo wrote: »
    Wishing lockdowns continue is fairly despicable IMO.
    I'll call out those fncktards all day long and you'll no doubt b8tch on about that like the sad fnck you are.

You're following me around like dog sh1t on my brogues.

Some people have been unaffected by this virus and are enjoying the new way of life we have. There is nothing despicable about it at all. There is nothing wrong with these people. I would suggest that those who cannot comprehend that others have different opinions to them need to wise up a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

KaneToad wrote: »
    Some people have been unaffected by this virus and are enjoying the new way of life we have. There is nothing despicable about it at all. There is nothing wrong with these people. I would suggest that those who cannot comprehend that others have different opinions to them need to wise up a little.

I don't miss the rat race that was the "office life" before. Commuting five days a week, sitting in traffic for three hours a day, trying to find parking etc. I'm especially grateful that not only do I no longer have to do those journeys, but that the day will not be bookended by crèche drop-off and collection with a child screaming in the back because she's exhausted from ten hours of crèche.

I really hope this stays the same, but in the sense that I hope employers realise the importance of a work/life balance and that we don't all need to run into the city five days a week in order to be productive. I don't hope that people continue to get sick and die.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,955 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Antares35 wrote: »
    I don't miss the rat race that was the "office life" before. Commuting five days a week, sitting in traffic for three hours a day, trying to find parking etc. I'm especially grateful that not only do I no longer have to do those journeys, but that the day will not be bookended by crèche drop-off and collection with a child screaming in the back because she's exhausted from ten hours of crèche.

I really hope this stays the same, but in the sense that I hope employers realise the importance of a work/life balance and that we don't all need to run into the city five days a week in order to be productive. I don't hope that people continue to get sick and die.

You need to be careful. At least with the office, when you leave you are done..my work mobile was switched off at the door on leaving and I wasn’t contactable until the minute I walked back into the office.

Work life balance isn’t achievable if they constantly have an IN into your home life and personal time. If your home is your workspace they’ll have less filter and less inclination as to know when NOT to contact you...

You’ll be ‘on call’..

Putting the kids in the car... they are calling.. “ sorry, just quickly log on and... “

Plating up dinner... calling...“ did you see xx Email before you logged off ? “

Your loved ones will be not too happy, you’ll be stressed, you’ll be compensated very little. of these disorganizations most will be making hundreds of thousands in not having to have big offices, cleaning companies, insurance, light, heat, maintenance, PA / secretary and all additional sundry costs...

You ‘might’ get a small wfh bonus of 100 a month while the managers laugh their asses off, tell them instead to fûck off.

You don’t have a suitable work environment at home, nor is it appropriate to have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Strumms wrote: »
    You need to be careful. At least with the office, when you leave you are done..my work mobile was switched off at the door on leaving and I wasn’t contactable until the minute I walked back into the office.

Work life balance isn’t achievable if they constantly have an IN into your home life and personal time. If your home is your workspace they’ll have less filter and less inclination as to know when NOT to contact you...

You’ll be ‘on call’..

Putting the kids in the car... they are calling.. “ sorry, just quickly log on and... “

Your loved ones will be not too happy, you’ll be stressed, you’ll be compensated very little. of these disorganizations most will be making hundreds of thousands in not having to have big offices, cleaning companies, insurance, light, heat, maintenance, PA / secretary and all additional sundry costs...

You ‘might’ get a small wfh bonus of 100 a month while the managers laugh their asses off, tell them instead to fûck off.

You don’t have a suitable work environment at home, nor is it appropriate to have one.

I had a small bit of that are the start but just got strict on ignoring any contact.

I already had my home office setup for gaming so that was grand.

You’ll be ‘on call’..

Yeah it's an easy trap to fall into I imagine. My company haven't breached any boundaries yet to be fair. And, I don't mind getting the odd phone call etc. My boss more or less told me he doesn't mind what hours I do, once the work gets done. So, in exchange for such trust and flexibility, I'm happy to meet them halfway and take a call or email outside of "the nine to five". To me it works both ways, but I'm lucky to have a decent employer I guess. I've also brought home my lovely ergonomic chair so that's handy :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Getting almost as much money on the PUP as I was when I was working in a stressful job has certainly made me reevaluate things.

No Christmas party this year either. Last years one was an awful pain in the hole to organise.

You’ll be ‘on call’..

When I finish work the phone gets turned off. No calls/emails until I return the following morning at 9am.

Do most people use their personal numbers for work?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Cilar wrote: »
    Probably controversial as everybody seems to be cheering the "return to normal", but:

- Lower traffic & traffic pollution
    - Shops much quieter / less people / more peaceful
    - No airplane noise pollution
    - Less traffic noise pollution
    - Working from home, no commuting, no seeing people you don't really like anyways, less stressful
    - People walking locally instead of taking car
    - Better cycling infrastructure being built
    - Loads of savings from not spending
    Emissions dropped by just 7% so just barely meeting the target of 50% reduction by 2030.

The positives are that Billionaires got way richer and didn't get exposed to windfall taxes that they would have at other times in history. But that is not a positive for rest of us who have seen hard earned money transferred to them and can expect to pay higher taxes or face later retirement paying for the bail outs of the rich and businesses that were poorly managed.

One real positive is proving that working from home can work. But we already knew that, so the only positive is that the accountants finally understand it too.

The main positive has been the rapid development of vaccine technology.
    But very little was spent on them compared to the other costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,915 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It has in its bollocks been "great".

Fcuk off for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,227 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

It has in its bollocks been "great".

Fcuk off for yourself.

Hiccup.

• Advertisement

When I finish work the phone gets turned off. No calls/emails until I return the following morning at 9am.

We have a work WhatsApp group. They have messaged me on a Friday evening saying their is a major service outage and I have ignored the message until Monday. We do have support staff but I'd obviously know more than them about the systems I built.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Emissions dropped by just 7% so just barely meeting the target of 50% reduction by 2030.

So if our tranport systems grinding to a halt for months had a negligible impact on emissions can we stop pretending that all these Green initiatives are anything but a waste of time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

For me, it's been an easy year. And a profitable one too - my job hasn't been negatively affected by Covid19. If anything, it's been a million times easier. There's nothing to do and nowhere to go, so I've spent the whole year doing as much overtime as I can. And I'm saving a lot too, so I'm richer than I've ever been, and I'm about to apply for a mortgage - something that, just a year ago, never seemed possible.

I've also not lost anyone to Covid19, I don't have a chronic illness, and nor does anyone close to me. In so many respects, I've been very lucky. But I'm not so wrapped up in myself that I can't recognise what an objectively horrible year it's been.

OP, why must you turn after hours into a house of LIES

GarIT wrote: »
    We have a work WhatsApp group. They have messaged me on a Friday evening saying their is a major service outage and I have ignored the message until Monday. We do have support staff but I'd obviously know more than them about the systems I built.

Proper order. Unless it's in my T & C's, I won't be responding after work hours. Its only a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,955 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

They don’t... but in case of me and colleagues, our personal mobiles rang from time to time when off shift.

They don’t... but in case of me and colleagues, our personal mobiles rang from time to time when off shift.

Are you happy with this scenario?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 RLF71

Cilar wrote: »
    Probably controversial as everybody seems to be cheering the "return to normal", but:

- Lower traffic & traffic pollution
    - Shops much quieter / less people / more peaceful
    - No airplane noise pollution
    - Less traffic noise pollution
    - Working from home, no commuting, no seeing people you don't really like anyways, less stressful
    - People walking locally instead of taking car
    - Better cycling infrastructure being built
    - Loads of savings from not spending

Might have been great for you. But not so much for ones who have lost loved ones to it or can only see them through a window during their last days. So continue going about your life with I'm alright Jack attitude.

RLF71 wrote: »
    Might have been great for you. But not so much for ones who have lost loved ones to it or can only see them through a window during their last days. So continue going about your life with I'm alright Jack attitude.

We've already covered this ground. Nothing wrong with recognising positives in the context of one's own particular set of circumstances, while still having empathy for others. The two positions are not mutually exclusive, or do you want us all to volunteer for sorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Uptheduff

I echo Antares35's sentiments. Myself and my partner became first time parents during the first lockdown. Our baby wasn't held by anyone but us and a few health professionals til they were 8 weeks old, that includes my parents who met their first grandchild through glass and it stayed that way for months. My partner's parents have yet to meet our child because they live abroad and are immune compromised.

Zoom chats are great but theres a tangible sense of what we are all missing. I had undiagnosed and extremely painful mastitis for weeks because online consultations with breastfeeding support groups just don't cut it. My husband's work was cut so money has been tight.

Yet, there have been some great positives. Yes we had some money worries but we got to spend a lot more time in peace with our new baby. I wasn't wasting my energy making tea for visitors and I had more help from my husband who in ordinary circumstances would have been away at work 11 hours a day, 5 days a week. The pressure on me to return to work was mooted when it turned out I had no work to return to, terrible news on one hand, a relief to a new mum on the other. It's been a hard year in many ways and the fatigue is real but in many other ways there has been plenty of positives too. Both can be true at the same time.

• Advertisement

Yeah, we know. This thread is about the good bits. Getting away from the misery for a bit.

We've already covered this ground. Nothing wrong with recognising positives in the context of one's own particular set of circumstances, while still having empathy for others. The two positions are not mutually exclusive, or do you want us all to volunteer for sorrow?

By all means lets ignore the costs of the pandemic as a whole and just praise the good some have benefited from it. I won't waste anymore time with you. To have a post stating this year has been great is demeaning to ones who have suffered loss from it.And you defending that stance speaks volumes of your character so I won't be engaging with you from now on, IMO.

By all means lets ignore the costs of the pandemic as a whole and just praise the good some have benefited from it. I won't waste anymore time with you. To have a post stating this year has been great is demeaning to ones who have suffered loss from it.And you defending that stance speaks volumes of your character so I won't be engaging with you from now on, IMO.

Thanks. Bye.

But really you could have just left without the dramatic exit if this thread isn't for you.

GarIT wrote: »
    Thanks. Bye.

Your very welcomed if you want to put your dog in this fight.

In any other covid thread your anger might be righteous, but in this one is completely misplaced.

Your last sentence makes no sense by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,227 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

There are 5m people in Ireland, it is fair to assume that the pandemic has affected people in differing ways and by different amounts. It is unfair to assume all must share the same viewpoint on their experience. I don’t think there is a need for anyone to defend their viewpoint as it is based on their own personal experience, for some it is all sadness, for others there have been positives which meant their spirits never dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Get over it ffs

It's almost as if there aren't any threads about the downside of covid that these people can go to...

In any other thread your anger would be righteous, but in this one is completely misplaced.

Your last sentence makes no sense by the way.

Oh it is not misplaced at all. And if you cannot grasp the message then that is on you. I'm not here to school you.

• Advertisement

Oh it is not misplaced at all. And if you cannot grasp the message then that is on you. I'm not here to school you.

Er... Ok then. :)

Advertisement