Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 has been great

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

2020 has definitely been my favourite year.

I'm hoping the lockdowns last as long as possible tbh. No pressure for the only social interaction to be drinking anymore.

Too bad house and rent prices didn't fall, if that happened COVID-19 could be the best thing that ever happened to me. But maybe Brexit can sort that for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

And only 1.6 million dead.

1.6 million too many.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,124 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Antares35 wrote: »
    It's been good for some people and **** for others. Why can't people just accept that not everyone had the same experience?

Absolutely agree. There are a lot of people very happy with wfh arrangements, and some have more money in their accounts than before. While it has been difficult not being able to see family members, the counter argument is that some have been able to see more of their immediate family.

Like it or not, for some, this has been a good year. And it is not wrong to acknowledge that.

Yeah all of the above has really been great, it totally negates not being able to see family for the majority of the year or live any sort of normal life.....

That's the best part. No obligation to see family.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Despite all the bullsh1t it's still good to be alive.

When so many have died.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I think it's perfectly acceptable to say that one experienced benefits on an individual level in 2020, while acknowledging that yes lots of people lost their lives and livelihoods too. Just because you recognise there was a silver lining or whatever, doesn't mean you're glad people suffered or continue to suffer, as many do in the hospitality and health sector.

2020 was difficult for me because I was pregnant and gave birth to my first child without the support of any family or friends because my girl was born in the midst of everything. I attended all my antenatal appointments alone and was lucky my labour was so fast that my partner was allowed in with me. We had zero support system in the aftermath, and my parents met my baby through the window for the first time when she was over two months old. So, I don't need to be lectured on how hard things were.

But, I'm allowed to recognise the many positives of the year - becoming debt free and saving towards our deposit. A more relaxed pace in my last trimester because I worked from home and had zero commute and minimal stress - this contributed to my fast recovery. Got to spend time with my dog every day, and no longer needed to spend over a hundred a week on a pet sitter, or money for petrol etc. I could avoid head wrecks in the office. My lectures were online. Everything was easier, and me recognising that is not insulting to those who were worse off, and it doesn't change the outcome for them either.

We were also close to 100 percent compliant with restrictions when many people were not, so why should we feel guilty? I've never volunteered for sorrow, am not going to start now.

And the Green types wonder why no-one takes them seriously, read the room.

To be fair over 40% of people are perfectly happy with FF and FG and the less than 60% remaining can't agree on enough to form a government.

weetiepie wrote: »
    Completely disagree, you cannot tell this poster that they are wrong in how they felt about this year, each to their own. My heart goes out to those who lost someone this year, through covid but alot of people felt this year has brought about a positivity in their lives ,and that is not wrong

But we can show some empathy. Not talk as if we are not aware and do not care. And yes I have lost loved ones to covid and it marks the year as a grief laden one whatever else is happening.

Graces7 wrote: »
    But we can show some empathy. Not talk as if we are not aware and do not care. And yes I have lost loved ones to covid and it marks the year as a grief laden one whatever else is happening.

We shouldn't have to hide away either. If people want to talk about the positives let them.

Graces the two are not mutually exclusive, you can show empathy to others, while having an opinion on how the year has been personally. You are allowed to think of yourself as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Nobody is lacking empathy from what I can see

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

weetiepie wrote: »
    Completely disagree, you cannot tell this poster that they are wrong in how they felt about this year, each to their own. My heart goes out to those who lost someone this year, through covid but alot of people felt this year has brought about a positivity in their lives ,and that is not wrong

Yes, I agree with you on that last point. A number of people have also knocked the list of positives the O.P. posted. These collateral benefits are not to be taken lightly if we value saving energy and knocking out pollutants past this crisis.
    I know I can do without traveling so much into the future for one thing.

My wife and two sons were laid off for.months and then returned to work. My wife now has been laid off because of lack of work in her department due to Covid. I am an artist and work from home, so, I am not drirectly impacted by this situation. I sympathize and do the right things to avoid transmission, but I am also of the opinion that individuals experience this differently, and not wholesale negative.

I'm not sure what your work situation is but believe me being unemployed for 9 months is no picnic. Less traffic doesn't pay the bills for most of us.

All too many are dismissive or blissfully unaware of the hardships endured by many.

GarIT wrote: »
    2020 has definitely been my favourite year.

I'm hoping the lockdowns last as long as possible tbh. No pressure for the only social interaction to be drinking anymore.

Too bad house and rent prices didn't fall, if that happened COVID-19 could be the best thing that ever happened to me. But maybe Brexit can sort that for me.

Wishing a pandemic continues because you are unhappy in your own skin and can't afford a property is fairly maggoty TBH.

Augeo wrote: »
    All too many are dismissive or blissfully unaware of the hardships endured by many.

Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns; I am thankful that thorns have roses.

(Just thought I’d add that to your loftiness)

Wishing a pandemic continues because you are unhappy in your own skin and can't afford a property is fairly maggoty TBH.

Ah well. I don't deny being selfish.

Too many are sick of second hand experiencing everyone else's hardships

Can we just have one positive thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    Time was women reared 6+ children with no help, nowadays both parents together and they need a 'support system' to look after one baby.

Time was also it "took a village to raise a child".

Thankfully things have moved on and women have reproductive autonomy and careers and are no longer forced to have six children and stay at home.

Yes, we do need a support system. Whether that's parents close by, the public health nurse calling, a coffee with a friend or simply having your parents visit. I make no apologies for wanting those things.

Too many are sick of second hand experiencing everyone else's hardships

Can we just have one positive thread?

You are wishing the pandemic continues whilst pleading for this positive thread.... Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

This year has definitely had ups and downs for everyone, its hard to generalise that and summarise it in a few words.

Personally, It was good to centre myself. Without going out clubbing in big gangs or going into college every day my social circle has definitely reduced, and now it's a question of making time for individuals and not activities. I've realised that I am truly blessed to have the friendships that I have, and that amongst us there really is a family vibe, and a love. I've realised how much I love my family now that I can't see them, and how living completely independently (not a plate of food served up to me in months) isn't easy. It's also fairly lonely, as despite my good friends I still live with a bunch of strangers. I spend a lot of nights alone now, when before I'd be with friends or on dates, just anything to keep busy.

That's another thing I don't miss, the constant revolving door of dating. I honestly dont give a **** about half the people who chased me or who I was chasing, just a massive ambivalence towards them now. Its really refreshing to not be on the hunt for the ride, and to actually connect with people who would be a good relationship match.

My finances have plummeted through the floor as I've never not worked in my life, I honestly don't give a **** though. I have enough to get by until next summer because up until now I was privileged enough to have the support of my parents and I could save most of my income. Money is just money, having a huge surplus wont make you happy if you're sad. You'll just be sad in designer clothes.

Phfwoosh, monologue over I guess. While there has definitely been downsides to this year, but I believe everything is about perspective. Even in hard times as long as you can pick up and move on you're doing a lot better than some :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

And only 1.6 million dead.

Let’s put that into perspective and remember 60 million died this year.

And of those dying with Covid, and where those deaths occurred it’s misleading to suggest all 1.6m died from Covid.

We are guilty of loosing perspective in the first world

You are wishing the pandemic continues whilst pleading for this positive thread.... Lol

It’s worth remembering this is AH, you might be taking this a tad too seriously. I don’t think anyone is wishing the mortality rate continues.

Dav010 wrote: »
    It’s worth remembering this is AH, you might be taking this a tad too seriously. I don’t think anyone is wishing the mortality rate continues.

It's worth reading what was said. The lock down only continues whilst the pandemic does, that's simple enough logic that even you average after hours poster should be able to appreciate.

Are you enjoying your loftiness.

Dav010 wrote: »
    Graces the two are not mutually exclusive, you can show empathy to others, while having an opinion on how the year has been personally. You are allowed to think of yourself as well.

I am going by many of the replies as well as my own reaction.

Read them all? Thank you.

Over and out on this; I am among those who are morning lost loved ones. Hard to read how wonderful the year is. It is a disaster and a nightmare. And more to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Let’s put that into perspective and remember 60 million died this year.

And of those dying with Covid, and where those deaths occurred it’s misleading to suggest all 1.6m died from Covid.

We are guilty of loosing perspective in the first world

So who's filling up the hospitals this year? Why are parts of the US having to set up field hospitals? Or storing the dead in containers and mass burials?

It's worth reading what was said. The lock down only continues whilst the pandemic does, that's simple enough logic that even you average after hours poster should be able to appreciate.

Are you enjoying your loftiness.

When you assume you make an ass of u and me. We still had some forms of lockdown when we had 6 cases per day and no deaths.

I have been thoroughly enjoying the lack of social obligations and all the free time to relax. Not having a 2 hour commute or having to wear a suit.

Obviously I'm not in any way happy others have suffered. But I am loving the new normal.

I feel sorry for folk who reckon 2020 was a great year as they saved a few quid, didn't have to be pressured into going out and feeling awkward to fit in.... Hopefully post pandemic they might sort themselves out and find ways to deal with normal life as this period will end.

I saved a few quid myself but don't see it as any positive TBH... A pandemic is a new kind of awful for mankind.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Stupidest thread of the year award.....

Traffic has been nuts, the green heads thought it best to mess with all the light sequence to only allow up to 3 cars at a time through most lights, less if not in gear with launch control on.....

When you assume you make an ass of u and me. We still had some forms of lockdown when we had 6 cases per day and no deaths.

.... As there was a pandemic.

• Advertisement

I feel sorry for folk who reckon 2020 was a great year as they saved a few quid, didn't have to be pressured into going out and feeling awkward to fit in.... Hopefully post pandemic they might sort themselves out and find ways to deal with normal life as this period will end.

I saved a few quid myself but don't see it as any positive TBH... A pandemic is a new kind of awful for mankind.

I'm wondefully happy as I am thanks.

Advertisement