Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LeVar's Stocking Fillers - Quickfire Walrus: The Un-Wrappening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Gonna take a 10-15 minute break before ploughing ahead with the last round, but don't worry its definitely coming very shortly...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Sitting pretty in the bottom 3 :D

I was certain with those choices I'd score higher!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Which means in 1st place and walking away with 22 points in this round is
    Sawduck

Kimbra - Top of the World

Well the Kiwis have come out Top of the World in this round anyway, with both New Zealand artists featured earning a spot in the Top 3. This one hooked me straight away, great combination of tribal music mixed with contemporary. I've never paid Kimbra much heed as an artist having only previously known her from Somebody That I Used To Know with Gotye, but will definitely be having a look at more of her solo stuff based on this. Excellent choice.

This song appeared in a fifa game and with the amount of stress that game has given me over the years(including someone hacking into my account and stealing my players) it is only right that they helped me out here, glad you liked it

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

With a different judge you very well might, that's the beauty of music and Walrus in particular, it's so subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

In 2nd place with 21 points is
    Deleted User

Colter Wall - Kate McCannon

Absolutely cracking song altogether. Haven't heard anything from Colter Wall before, but gonna rectify that immediately because if the rest of his stuff is even close to being this good, I'm in for an experience and a half. Another absolutely cracking choice, was really close between the top three here.

Coulter Wall is excellent, saw him at EP a couple of years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Will there be a spotify list available later ? Some great songs on this Walrus

Necro wrote: »
    With a different judge you very well might, that's the beauty of music and Walrus in particular, it's so subjective.

What Necro said. You can do terribly with one host and come out top with another.

It also helps once you've done a few and you then generally have an idea on what sort of music the usual suspects like, which can be helpful.

There's also more room for error in full Walruses when there's between 6 and 10 rounds, whereas even a small misstep in a 3 round Walrus can definitely be costly.

khalessi wrote: »
    Will there be a spotify list available later ? Some great songs on this Walrus

I have 3 YouTube Playlists ready to share for each category at the end.

I never actually got around to doing proper playlists on Spotify, and there's always songs that aren't on Spotify, so its just as handy to judge these via YouTube because I need to find all the songs there anyway.

I'll leave it to people to pick and choose from the YouTube playlists what songs they like and they can make their own Spotify playlist, unless someone wants to go out of their way to make one of course.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

There's also more room for error in full Walruses when there's between 6 and 10 rounds, whereas even a small misstep in a 3 round Walrus can definitely be costly.

As can spending a maximum of three minutes (and that's being generous) on your choices. :D

Final Round, All I Want for Christmas is... CHOONS, in which I say CHOONS a lot...

It all comes down to this...

In 12th place with 11 points is
    Arghus

Pulp - Common People

One of my best friends absolutely loves this song and he'll kill me for not having it right up the top, so nobody tell him. I used to be very indifferent to this song, but it's definitely grown on me quite a bit in the last few years. Was one of the last songs played at a wedding I was at last year and there was great energy on the dancefloor, so a good choice.

• Advertisement

In 11th place with 12 points is
    ShaneU

Afro Medusa - Pasilda (Knee Deep Mix)

This one had me on board within a few seconds, has a really fresh feeling to it, really enjoyed it. Gives up great summer vibes, and it would be a great tune to blast out if you were at a boat party or something. I've never actually been at a boat party, but I can imagine this is the type of thing that would be played. Very enjoyable.

In 13th with 10 points is
    Electric Nitwit

Apollo 440 - Lost In Space

Was a big fan of this song back in the day. Never actually watched the film, heard it was sh*te anyway, but I listened to this song so much at the time, it feels like I saw the film. Definitely would be rocking out on the air guitar for certain parts of this song and jumping around for the other parts. Good choice, was a nice blast from the past.

In 10th place with 13 points is
    Sawduck

Haddaway - What Is Love

Absolutely impossible to listen to this and not get the neck moving to the beat, Night at the Roxbury style. Not necessarily a lets go out and dance CHOON, more a stand at the bar trying to look cool while actually looking like an absolute head twitchy weirdo looking out at all the actual dancers on the dancefloor CHOON, but a CHOON nonetheless.

In 14th place with 9 points is
    mustang shelly

Delain - Stardust

Another one I ended up really enjoying, but was up and down the list like a yo-yo several times early on before I could decide if I really liked it or not. It certainly grew on me with repeated listens and then would tumble back down again as others overtook it, but on the final listen it won me over again and dragged itself up a couple of places again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,697 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

In 13th with 10 points is
    Electric Nitwit

Apollo 440 - Lost In Space

Was a big fan of this song back in the day. Never actually watched the film, heard it was sh*te anyway, but I listened to this song so much at the time, it feels like I saw the film. Definitely would be rocking out on the air guitar for certain parts of this song and jumping around for the other parts. Good choice, was a nice blast from the past.
    Pretty much matching what I said!
    This popped into my head from nowhere earlier. Probably haven't listened to it for 20yrs and hot damn it's good! I saw them open Reading festival, '99 I think, and the crowd was tiny, it looked like it would be a damp squib but they were awesome, as were the crowd that was there. I never actually saw the film, think it was meant to be a bit crap but the theme tune isn't!

Last one to kill a bad guy buys the beer!

In 9th place with 14 points is
    Rikand

X Press 2 feat. Kurt Wagner (Lambchop) - Give It

If I drove, I feel like this would be an excellent driving song. I don't drive, couldn't be arsed with it, but it definitely feels like a class driving song. It is really good in general though, and could definitely see myself singing along and dancing to it, so good choice for the category. Kurt Wagner's vocals are class.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tpcl20

In 3rd place with 20 points is
    JohnGreenFan

Taylor Swift feat. Bon Iver - Exile

Mentioned in the previous Taylor write up that the Folklore album is her at her best and this song is absolutely superb. Throw Bon Iver into the mix and its just a magical combination - the contrast of their two voices really works for me. Was pretty close between this and the song that ranked above it, it just came down to personal preference, but really love this one too, so excellent choice.
    Why can't Justin give us his normal voice when he does solo stuff. That talentless degenerate with him usually makes me projectile vomit upon hearing, but it took a couple of bars this time so I think I'm getting desensitised. The ending was sickly-sweet gawk though... "and I didn't like the ending" lol

In 15th place with 8 points is
    Necro

Electric Six - Gay Bar

Definitely threw a few shapes on the dancefloor to this back in the day. Great choice, and it’s a song that really used to annoy homophobes, so that's always a bonus. On paper, I thought it'd be up a good bit higher, but as I was listening through all the songs it just kept getting knocked further down the rankings, which once again is a testament to how strong the round is.

In 8th place with 15 points is
    JP Liz V1

Venagaboys - Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom!!

Quintessential dancefloor hit. I remember when I was in UCD, Vengaboys played the student bar about four times a year, I have no idea who kept booking them, as if no other acts existed (they must've been really cheap to fly over to bang out a few songs), but those nights were pure class, and this is definitely their best track. Absolute banger of a song.

In 16th place with 7 points is
    phatkev

The Chemical Brothers - Star Guitar

I only have a vague recollection of this one, had definitely heard it before as I have listened to The Chemical Brothers Singles album at least a couple of times, but certainly never appreciated it in the past. Really really liked it anyway and a solid pick, but just got overshadowed by some of the other songs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,101 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

In 10th place with 13 points is Sawduck

Haddaway - What Is Love

Absolutely impossible to listen to this and not get the neck moving to the beat, Night at the Roxbury style. Not necessarily a lets go out and dance CHOON, more a stand at the bar trying to look cool while actually looking like an absolute head twitchy weirdo looking out at all the actual dancers on the dancefloor CHOON, but a CHOON nonetheless.

I love the film and the song

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Some absolute bangers in this round

I hate myself for doing this...

In 7th place with 16 points is
    Kolido

Mark McCabe - Maniac 2000

I really wanted to put this last, because I kind of hate it, but I also love it, and I hate the fact that I love it, and there's a whole love/hate conflict going on in my head and while I'm trying to figure out how I really feel about this song, damnit I'm already out on the dance floor shouting along and true to the title dancing like a maniac. If you had gone for the original Michael Sembello version you probably would've secured first place, because I absolutely love that one. I'm just gonna go hate myself in the corner after succumbing to the beat and dancing to this one, and somehow it's now right up in the top half of the rankings. F**k my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Kolido

I really wanted to put this last, because I kind of hate it, but I also love it, and I hate the fact that I love it, and there's a whole love/hate conflict going on in my head and while I'm trying to figure out how I really feel about this song, damnit I'm already out on the dance floor shouting along and true to the title dancing like a maniac. If you had gone for the original Michael Sembello version you probably would've secured first place, because I absolutely love that one. I'm just gonna go hate myself in the corner after succumbing to the beat and dancing to this one, and somehow it's now right up in the top half of the rankings. F**k my life.

Check out the Ruaille Buaille version :)

In 17th place with 6 points is
    Zaph

Talking Heads - I Zimbra

Ah yes, that old tactic of submitting multiple songs from the same artist in the same Walrus. Didn't quite like it as much as I enjoyed Drugs, and I really enjoy Drugs (heh-heh-heh), ends up in a similar enough place in the rankings all the same. Has a great beat to it, would definitely get up to dance for it. Not as strong as the songs ahead of it, but still very good.

In 6th place with 17 points is
    Trigger

Kings of Leon - Knocked Up

I used to be partial to a bit of Kings of Leon, but haven't really listened to them in years. I remember many a night in Doyle's bouncing around the dancefloor to The Bucket of Fans though, and even Sex On Fire was a certified get to the dancefloor as fast as humanly possible number. Didn't remember Knocked Up having quite the same CHOON-age factor as some of their other songs, and I intially thought it wouldn't fare so well in this round, but with each listen it moved up a few spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Kolido

Yikes! this one was a healthy contender in the Worst song Ever contest :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 85,101 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'm up "dancing" I've got the moves but so not like Jagger, loving this round, I'm a maniac maniac on the dancefloor waiting for 2020 to go out the door ( it is 20 years since McCabe's version )

In 18th place with 5 points is
    osh

Led Zeppelin - Communication Breakdown

No denying it's a great song, simply a case of not managing to evoke the same energy or the unbridled joy in me as the songs ahead of it does. Again nothing really bad to say about it, this Walrus has been pretty much all killer no filler, so decent songs just end up occupying the lower half of the rankings for no real good reason.

• Advertisement

Yikes! this one was a healthy contender in the Worst song Ever contest :eek:

And rightly so. It's one of those paradox songs that is both awful and great at the same time.

Advertisement