Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LeVar's Stocking Fillers - Quickfire Walrus: The Un-Wrappening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,102 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Kolido wrote: »
    Check out the Ruaille Buaille version :)

Or Damo and Ivor :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I sense this will be a more controversial decision than Swift-gate in Round 1

In 5th place with 18 points is
    JohnGreenFan

Cardi B feat. Megan Thee Stallion - WAP

I had heard this amidst all the "controversy" when it was released, and didn't think the lyrics were any more controversial than most rap songs, I just thought it was a fairly mediocre song and hadn't listened to it since, so wasn't expecting it to do very well here. Happy to say I was wrong and it's a really fun song, and would definitely have me up throwing some shapes in the club, ya know if I still went to clubs - been more than a few years since I've bothered with a nightclub, when late bars do the trick just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tpcl20

Green&Red wrote: »
    Coulter Wall is excellent, saw him at EP a couple of years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

In 16th place with 7 points is
    phatkev

The Chemical Brothers - Star Guitar

I only have a vague recollection of this one, had definitely heard it before as I have listened to The Chemical Brothers Singles album at least a couple of times, but certainly never appreciated it in the past. Really really liked it anyway and a solid pick, but just got overshadowed by some of the other songs.

I think star guitar needs to be accompanied by a good lights show, chewing gum and a baseball cap

In 19th place with 4 points is
    Deleted User

The Commodores - Brick House

Can certainly picture myself strutting my way to the dancefloor as this pumps out over the soundsystem. Feck it, forget about the dancefloor, I'm already strutting about the house grooving out to this funky number. Really enjoyed it, some great CHOONS in the round overall though, so not easy to place, and it found itself towards the back of the pack unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

And rightly so. It's one of those paradox songs that is both awful and great at the same time.
    Well you're half right anyway :p

In 4th place with 19 points is
    Irish Aris

Tiga feat. Jake Shears - You Gonna Want Me

Never heard of Tiga before, but I know Jake Shears from the Scissor Sisters alright. Really enjoyed this, it grew on me with each listen, and started leapfrogging its way up the table every time I heard it. Great beat to it and would definitely have me out throwing a few shapes on the dancefloor for sure. Solid choice once again.

I’ve no idea what I’ve entered

It’s exciting

• Registered Users Posts: 10,697 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Well you're half right anyway :p
    Having not been in Ireland when it came out, I love the clarity of knowing it's crap, with no mixed feelings! :D

Which means the Top 3 and Bottom 3 for the final round are...

(in alphabetical order as always)
    Green&Red
    Homer J. Fong
    khalessi
    Reberetta
    Sephiroth_dude
    the purple tin (I'm so sorry for making you sweat yet again... :()

Will put them out of their misery in just a few minutes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

This is in contention for my favourite Walrus round ever. Right up there with the driving song round in my own one.

Which means the Top 3 and Bottom 3 for the final round are...

(in alphabetical order as always)
    Green&Red
    Homer J. Fong
    khalessi
    Reberetta
    Sephiroth_dude
    the purple tin(I'm so sorry for making you sweat yet again... :()

Will put them out of their misery in just a few minutes...
    No sweat, LB. I have accepted my fate and made room for another spoon :D

ShaneU wrote: »
    This is in contention for my favourite Walrus round ever. Right up there with the driving song round in my own one.

So are you saying you won't get angry and shout at me again if you hate The Top 3... :D

giphy.gif

In 20th place with 3 points is
    khalessi

An Emotional Fish - Celebrate

Won't be much celebrating going on for the emotional fish or khalessi with this placement. I do like it, but it can't really compete with the songs that ranked above it. I know the song well, but never been ever excited by it all that much. For the category that’s in it, it just didn't really work for me, but not a bad song by any means.

In 3rd place with 20 points is
    Green&Red

Noisettes - Never Forget You

One of the last big night's out I had back earlier this year, aka. a million years ago, I did actually get up dancing to this song, and it definitely is an absolute CHOON as far as I'm concerned. Just a fantastic song from beginning to end, really solid choice, and worthy of a podium place in this round for sure.

In 21st place with 2 points is
    Sephiroth_dude

Casiopea - Galactic Funk

This was certainly different and interesting. Enjoyed it, but again, doesn't necessarily excite me very much. Great '80s vibe to it, also reminds me a lot of Super Mario, but it just didn't pop in the same way a lot of the other songs in this round did for me. If I was in an arcade or at the amusements, I'd really enjoy if something like this was blasting in the background though.

In 2nd place with 21 points is
    the purple tin

Los Bitchos - Pista (Great Start)

Absolutely adored this one from the very first listen, got in to the groove straight away and it was one I very much looked forward to every time it came to giving this category another listen. I actually didn't even notice until the second or third listen that there's no lyrics, I was so entranced by the groove. Finally, the curse is broken, we've stumbled upon a song we can both absolutely agree is 100% certified CHOON!!!

In 3rd place with 20 points is
    Green&Red

Noisettes - Never Forget You

One of the last big night's out I had back earlier this year, aka. a million years ago, I did actually get up dancing to this song, and it definitely is an absolute CHOON as far as I'm concerned. Just a fantastic song from beginning to end, really solid choice, and worthy of a podium place in this round for sure.

I’d forgotten all about the noisettes until someone else picked them in a walrus. Saw them in vicar st a good few years ago and the atmosphere was class

Somebody has to be last unfortunately, and getting 1 points is
    Reberetta

Prince - Can't Stop This Feeling I've Got

I usually like most Prince songs, but this one doesn't really do much for me, not bad or anything, but I'd probably be inclined to skip ahead to his other songs if I was listening to Prince's discography, and for this category in particular it just didn't work for me at all really.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

In 20th place with 3 points is
    khalessi

An Emotional Fish - Celebrate

Won't be much celebrating going on for the emotional fish or khalessi with this placement. I do like it, but it can't really compete with the songs that ranked above it. I know the song well, but never been ever excited by it all that much. For the category that’s in it, it just didn't really work for me, but not a bad song by any means.

Maniac and WAP finished ahead of this classic?? It's an outrage!!!

• Advertisement

Which means 1st place in this round and walking away with 22 points is
    Deleted User

Dead or Alive - You Spin Me Round (Like a Record)

Honestly if you were to look up the definition of the word CHOON in the dictionary on Urban Dictionary, I wouldn't be least bit surprised if You Spin Me Round (Like a Record) was used as an example. And if you looked at a list of my favourite/most-played songs of all-time you'd undoubtedly find this on that too. If Walrus was a video game (and it clearly should be) by going for this one you've essentially stumbled upon a cheat code to advance straight to the boss level and increased your odds of winning tenfold.

After three exhausting days for me, and a closely fought battle between you lot, it is JohnGreenFan who walks away the winner of this not-so-festive Christmas Walrus...

Irish Aris was only a point behind in 2nd, and a solid finish for Deleted User in the final round sees him take 3rd and rounding off the podium.

On the other end of things its Sephiroth_dude who is awarded the wooden spoon. At least you still get a prize for your first Walrus, and please don't be dissuaded to enter more Walruses because of me (anyone who's been knocking about here for awhile will tell you my opinion sucks and they all hate me... ;))

username Bah Humbug The Selection Box CHOONS Total
    JohnGreenFan 20 17 18 55
    Irish Aris 21 14 19 54
    Homer J. Fong 12 18 22 52
    Sawduck 16 22 13 51
    Green&Red 19 11 20 50
    phatkev 22 19 7 48
    Necro 18 15 8 41
    Kolido 15 8 16 39
    Rikand 10 13 14 37
    Hello 2D Person Below 11 21 4 36
    ShaneU 2 20 12 34
    Trigger 14 2 17 33
    JP Liz V1 7 10 15 32
    mustang shelly 4 16 9 29
    Reberetta 17 9 1 27
    Electric Nitwit 3 13 10 26
    the purple tin 1 3 21 25
    Arghus 8 5 11 24
    osh 13 1 5 19
    Zaph 6 6 6 18
    khalessi 9 4 3 16
    Sephiroth_dude 5 7 2 14

Thanks everyone for playing, hope you enjoyed it, I certainly did and discovered some great tunes.

Be sure to check out any other Walruses (not sure if there are any open at the moment, but I think Reberetta is next in line, so if we ask really nicely, maybe there'll be a new Sign-Up thread coming soon) and all the other Forum Games, sure you all know the drill at this stage.

All that's left to say is...

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Great reveal and fair play getting it out so fast

• Registered Users Posts: 85,102 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

LeVar, thank you, so enjoyable and done super fast, I've discovered some great new choons

Zaph wrote: »
    Maniac and WAP finished ahead of this classic?? It's an outrage!!!

***Drops Beat***

there's some whores in this house, there's some whores in this house, there's some whores in this house, there's some whores in this house, there's some whores in this house

and she's dancing like she never did before, right here on the Dublin dance floor

:D:D:D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Fair play LeVar. Enjoyed that quickfire one. Wait till JGF sees, she hasn't won one yet :)

Well done there JGF.
    That's some nice spooning Seph, I was sure I had it in my grasp.
    Thanks for the quickie LB, most enjoyable :D

Necro wrote: »
    Fair play LeVar. Enjoyed that quickfire one. Wait till JGF sees, she hasn't won one yet :)

Nobody tell her, it'll be a surprise...

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Wintersleep - Orca

I'm almost at a loss for words on this one. No thoughts I put down will do it justice, not only was it the cherry on top for an incredibly strong category, but even only after a handful of listens this is automatically up there alongside some of my all-time favourite songs. It’s a stunning piece of music that even managed to warm my cold dead heart. I won't go as far to say as it moved me to tears, because that would just be waxing lyrical, but definitely in that ballpark when it comes to the effect the song had on me. Bah Humbug indeed, who'd wanna listen to xmas songs when masterpieces such as this exist. Stand out song of the entire Walrus, thanks for submitting this one, best xmas present ever.

Nice one and glad you enjoyed it! I cant take full credit though, the first time I heard this song or band was Monday when they popped up on my discovery playlist on Spotify, thought it was the perfect song to meet your criteria

Angie McMahon - Keeping Time

Firstly, that guitar riff is class. Secondly, I've never heard of Angie McMahon before but that is one amazing voice. I'm a big fan of a strong female vocal and this is up there with the best of them. Another excellent choice from you, even if your song for the last round is pure sh*te and you get last place, this and Orca have done more than enough to earn you massive props from me.

I was far more familiar with this artist, I first saw her at all together now last year and I've been hooked since

• Advertisement

phatkev wrote: »
    Great reveal and fair play getting it out so fast

I have no idea what day it is and I'm functioning on very little sleep, but it was worth it, was a lot of fun.
    JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    LeVar, thank you, so enjoyable and done super fast, I've discovered some great new choons

Sure that's the main thing. As long as people are walking away with some new discoveries it's all worth it.
    Well done there JGF.
    That's some nice spooning Seph, I was sure I had it in my grasp.
    Thanks for the quickie LB, most enjoyable :D

Apologies for making it seem like you were really gonna be in the Bottom Three again in that last round, but I couldn't resist the dramatics, and that was a cracking choice for the last one. Finally we're in sync... :D

Advertisement